September 23, 2014 | 2075 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Setting Brush

rated 2 of 5 on 8/26/2014 2:11:00 PM More reviews by Barbirivera

I love Real Techniques brushes in general: great quality at a great price. I really like the shape is this brush, it's perfect for setting your under eye concealer, it's soft and works really well. Why just two lippies then? I've had it for 2 months and I think it has lost half its hairs. Everytime I use it I cringe seeing the amout of hairs that fall off and don't get me started on when I wash it. I've never had this issue with any other brush! Did I get a bad batch? I guess I would repurchase to give it another try, considering all the great reviews....

rated 5 of 5 on 8/2/2014 5:07:00 PM More reviews by paine724

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is one of my most used brushes. I use it for precision powdering with the ben nye luxury powder. It fits perfectly under the eyes and on the tzone.

Also, the brush doesn't lose its shape when it's washed and is incredibly soft. It's a great brush and at the price point, it can't be beat.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2014 12:31:00 AM More reviews by Sizzle0431

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

Love love love love this brush! Great for blending under eye concealer or setting it. Definitely going to have to pick another up so I can use one to blend and one to set.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2014 3:36:00 AM More reviews by Vonne092

Overall very happy with this brush, is it just the right size to get in and set concealer under my eyes. It picks up product well, and so far son shedding. Also a great brush for contouring, I'm very fair and not into heavy bronzing, so I use this to contour by dusting a light bronze in the contour of my cheeks: it is small enough that it doesn't make look overdone, but fluffy enough that blending out is a breeze.

I think it would also be perfect for applying a highlighter too.

Pros:
- Fluffy and tapered, perfect for under eyes
- Multi use
- Very pretty to look at
- Great size handle
- At $11AUD the price is also quite reasonable

Cons:
- So far, none!

Overall I would recommend this brush, and if I lost it, I would go and buy another.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2014 2:21:00 AM More reviews by gsalazar82

You NEED this brush! It's great for setting your under eye concealer, applying concealer, and applying liquid/powder highlighter! I have 3 of these; one in my purse to touch up with and two at home that I alternate use with.

The bristles are very soft but very durable. None of mine have ever shed and I've washed them plenty of times. I love the way this brush tapers at the tip because it's the perfect shape for the under eye.

I absolutely love this for shimmery highlights because I have way more control of application and it blends way better than anything else I've used for this purpose.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/11/2014 7:33:00 AM More reviews by strobegirl1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I actually use this to blend concealer under my eyes! All the brushes are well made but could be down with better fibres.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2014 7:41:00 AM More reviews by funfunfun123

I use this brush mainly for blending my undereye concealer. The bristles are soft, and I've had it for a while and it hasn't shedded yet, which is great, considering I'm not all that gentle with my brushes in terms of storage and washing. I wouldn't repurchase this because I don't feel like it is a major part of my routine, and I'm sure I already have other brushes that could be used for the same purpose.

Update: This is by far the easiest brush I've used to blend out concealer, and if I'm not using this, it's my stippling brush.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/15/2014 2:44:00 PM More reviews by missamanthann

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'll first preface this by saying that very few of my brushes are used solely for their stated purpose. I have a tendency to multitask my brushes, and I'm of the belief that a good, high-quality brush will be able to hold up to almost any task. It may not be the best at a task, but it won't fall apart if I use it for something other than its designed purpose. 99% of the good brushes I have used hold up to that expectation; unfortunately this setting brush does not.

I use this brush to blend in and set my under eye concealer. I have almost all good things to say about the entire line of Real Techniques brushes but unfortunately this particular brush sheds so much. I end up with at least 2 hairs under each eye after I'm finished with applying product; I can excuse the occasional shedding but this is a consistent shed and it's very annoying. I even just tested this brush by wiping it on my arm, no product, to see if it was the liquid concealer I was using, but brush hairs still fell out on my arm.

The domed shape of this brush though is excellent for applying powder or concealer to small, specific areas. It also comes to a decent point, which is perfect for detailed applications, and it's flat enough to give a general wash of powder to the face if you want a more broad application. However, it's not quite as soft as the other Real Techniques brushes, and the bristles can feel rather pointy. I think this brush could be reasonably used for very specific purposes.

I would recommend a brush like this if you are on a budget and can live with the shedding in exchange for a good price (as far as drugstore brushes go, this line is probably the very best). However, if you can afford a more expensive brush, I would skip this brush and go for a better-qualify brand that doesn't shed as much.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2014 10:37:00 PM More reviews by rayoflight121

I'm going back for more of these! It does an amazing job at buffing in my liquid under eye concealers and for patting in setting powders. You can also use it for highlighting smaller areas on the face. It works just as well as my higher end brushes and hasn't shed at all!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2014 10:14:00 PM More reviews by Saspants

I recently purchased this brush during a sale at Ulta. I had read all the fantastic reviews here on MUA and decided to give it a try. I have been using my ELF concealer brush to apply setting powder to my under eye area but the reviews on this brush were very compelling.

I purchased and when I got home I unpackaged and set aside to clean before use, as I do with all my brushes before using. When I went to wash this brush, half the bristles fell out! I have never experienced anything like this, and was quite disappointed. I own many RT brushes and like some more than others, but all of them have been through the same routine...unpackaged and washed before use and they all passed the muster, except for this one...arghhhh!

Back to Ulta for a replacement, I hope the second one lasts longer than my first. It would be nice to at least apply setting powder and see if it's worth adding to my daily routine.

7/26/14 - UPDATE - I did exchange this brush and the second one is much better than the first, so I am changing my review from 1 lippie to 4. So far the quality has held up and I have not experienced any extreme shedding. I still prefer the use of my ELF pro concealer brush (the full black black handled one with black bristles) to this for setting my under eye correctors and concealers.