Like everyone else, my main complaint is the packaging. While the flag design is very appealing, the pans of colour are minuscule and it makes it next to impossible to apply. Too bad, because the shadows are decent, especially for the price. They're quite pigmented, soft, and blend like a dream. I have the green one (Green Park). A bit sparkly for anyone with crepey lids, but otherwise a good shadow in terrible packaging.
This review is for the palette 01 Black Cab, from the Kate Moss collection (Union Flag design).
The palette is cheap and available at any drugstore in the UK and recently also in the US. Black Cab consists of: a very shimmery ivory shade (biggest shadow in the palette), a shimmery black, shimmery charcoal grey and shimmery taupe. The 3 darker colours are really, really tiny and I made a huge dent on the taupe shade with only 2 uses.
Overall it is decent for a drugstore palette but I would not buy this again, nor the other shades. Here's why:
- this specific palette has very nice and wearable colours. I cannot say the same about the other shades (there is one with a very odd pink shade, not sure if it would be flattering to anybody I know. But I guess it must have its fans!). The shades go pretty well together.
- still on the subject of the shades: I absolutely ADORE the taupe in this palette. It is the perfect neutral-to-cool medium-toned taupe, and if I just analyse the colour itself, it is way prettier than many popular HE taupes. This shade is the only reason why I will not just toss this palette or give it away randomly.
- pigmentation is not bad compared to most drugstore palettes in the same price range (Maybelline, I'm looking at you)
- apart from the lightest shade, all 3 other shades are absolutely TINY, including my beloved taupe one, which had a dent from the 2nd use. Not very good value for your money even in a very cheap palette.
- I don't mind drugstore packaging at all, but this one is terribly flimsy. Be very careful not to break it.
- The texture of the shadows is extremely powdery and the fall out is insane. I have to reapply my foundation, concealer and powder after I use this, or I just leave my face undone and apply all base makeup after the shadow. I don't need to do this with most eyeshadows, but this is a must with this one. This also means that you are wasting far more product than usual, which is a bigger problem in such a small palette.
All in all I wouldn't really recommend these palettes unless you really fall in love with one of the colours and cannot find a dupe in another brand. Otherwise they are just a waste of money.
I purchased this in True Union Jack because I thought it was cute. However, it isn't very pigmented and it's a bit hard to get my brush to pick up the colors without mixing them all because the corner colors are absolutely tiny!
I bought this in English Rose because the color combination is too beautiful to resist. I like the design of the union jack segments though it's difficult to get those colors on the corner. have to take a small brush to dip into it. The color payoff is pretty nice with an eyelid primer underneath and it helps to deal with the fall out because this palette is so loosely pressed.
Anyway, it's a bit tricky but I am happy with how it turned out.
the packaging is pretty good for a drugstore eyeshadow, at least it doesn't look stupid and super cheap as most of them do.
I paid £2 for two in Heart Of Gold which is a mixture of browns and neutrals, I really love the colours and the formula is amazing and the colour is long lasting, this would most certainley be one of my faves if it were not for the awful packaging and the Union Jack design. Its cute and original but very awkard to get any colour my brushes, its even tricky using the supplied applicator. I'll not be buying any more of these until the packaging changes.
this product is terrible. and i mean awful. you cant even get to the eyeshadows there so small, and the pigmentation is very poor
I bought this in English Rose. This is light, creamy, easily blended. It's wonderful. There are a few major flaws though that contribute to the 3 stars.. The design is so cute, but it's so hard to get to the eyshadows because they are so small. I can't use my LM eyeshadow brush. :( By the end of the day, all of the eyeshadow moves into my crease. Although the colors are nice, there is only one color that I truly love. Then I found a match at Bobbi Brown in their metallic eyeshadow line that is exactly the same, so I won't repurchase this.
These palettes have the Union Jack flag design. While cute.. the incredibly tiny pans of color make them extremely difficult to use, it's not impossible... you can use a very small brush and return for more color multiple times... but certainly not user friendly. It's a real shame because the shadows are fantastic.. creamy, soft, pigmented, and blend fantastically. The colors go really well together, and give you a lot of options for different looks. If not for the palette design I would have given them a 4 or 5. I really hope Rimmel re-releases these with a more traditional palette design, because these shadows blow their other formula out of the water. Even better, perhaps they will reformat all their shadows! We can hope anyway.