Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup

3.6

ingredients: water\aqua\eau [] methyl trimethicone [] butylene glycol [] neopentyl glycol diheptanoate [] dimethicone [] trimethylsiloxysilicate [] nylon-12 [] silica [] laminaria saccharina extract [] salix alba (willow) bark extract [] aloe barbadensis leaf extract [] cholesterol [] glycerin [] zinc stearate [] peg-10 dimethicone [] caffeine [] lauryl peg-9 polydimethylsiloxyethyl dimethicone [] lecithin [] disteardimonium hectorite [] dimethicone/peg-10/15 crosspolymer [] tocopheryl acetate [] phenyl trimethicone [] triethoxycaprylylsilane [] laureth-7 [] magnesium aluminum silicate [] potassium sorbate [] sorbic acid [] sodium dehydroacetate [] triethyl citrate [] hydroxyapatite [] xanthan gum [] sodium chloride [] alcohol [] dipropylene glycol [] disodium edta [] sodium citrate [] sodium hyaluronate [] nylon-6 [] chlorphenesin [] phenoxyethanol [] [+/- titanium dioxide (ci 77891) [] iron oxides (ci 77491, ci 77492, ci 77499) [] bismuth oxychloride (ci 77163) [] mica]v

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

The foundation claims:
“Allergy tested. 100% fragrance free. Sheer to moderate coverage. Natural matte finish. Oil-controlling makeup absorbs shine. Wears beautifully all day. Lightweight, oil-free.”

My skin type:
Medium, tan, asian complexion. Very acne-prone and prone to clogging.
Extremely oily all over face, especially on T-zone and sides of my nose and my chin.
I suffer from acne and with the use of topical medications, I have dry patches on parts of my face which make it hard for me to find a foundation that will go on smoothly, combat my oily skin, and not cling on to these dry patches.

How long I used this foundation:
8 consecutive months in 2013. 1 month this early 2015.

I use Clinique Stay-Matte in Shade #08: Golden Neutral
For reference, this is my shade in other foundations:
#40 in MUFE Mat Velvet+, #Tawny in Estee Lauder Double Wear, #Sand in Almay TLC, #203 in MUFE Mat Duo and etc.

Things I look for in a foundation, based on my skin type and preferences:
“Does it cover my light hyper-pigmentation?”
Yes. In the first few hours, the coverage is build-able and covers my light scarring from previous acne. However, this may not be enough coverage for those that have severe scarring and acne.

“Does it look natural?”
This is one of the first foundations I’ve tried that looks very natural in all types of lighting (i.e. under the sun, inside a grocery store, at work, etc.) My co-workers thought I didn’t wear make-up at all. It also matches my skin-tone extremely well, almost like second skin.

“Is it easy and quick to apply?”
Yes. I’ve tried two methods to apply this foundation: my fingers and a sponge applicator. Both methods worked pretty well and didn’t last more than 5 minutes. You just have to pat it into your skin and let it dry. Then, set with a powder to finish off.

“Can it control my horribly oily skin?”
…Nope. While it does dry semi-matte and matte if set with a powder, this does not control my oily skin. Oil seeps through around the 1.5-2 hour mark and starts to ruin my foundation which leads to my next concern…

“Does it transfer?”
YES and terribly so. Even with a good powder and a primer, it doesn’t stay put. My foundation actually rubbed off on my friend’s shirt one time. Needless to say, it was hilarious but embarrassing. Also, it looks great and natural when you first put it on but after around 8 hours of working, you can tell I'm wearing make-up which is splotchy, oily and uneven due to its weak staying power.
(Quick note, this actually held up pretty well when I paired it with Smashbox Photo Finish Light + NARS Light Reflecting Pressed Powder.)

“Does it break me out?”
At first, I thought it didn’t… until it did. Although my skin is acne-prone, I never suffered from clogged pores due to help of my acne medication. I think my acne medication played a part in why it took so long for this foundation to break me out. It was over the course of many months that I started to get these weird under-the-skin clogged pores, I ignored it at the time, until my skin looked rough, clogged, and finally broke out. Originally, I thought it wasn’t this foundation but I tried this again in early 2015 and it led to cystic acne and clogging of my pores.

“Will I be buying this again?”
No. It’s a beautiful, natural finish. The packaging is great, easy to carry, easy to apply, for the price, the foundation lasts a long time (more than a year). However, my skin doesn’t react well to it, it clogs my pores and breaks me out, and it doesn’t control my very oily skin as much as I’d like it to. The price is pretty good for a “high-end” foundation (It’s around $30 CDN) but it doesn’t address my skin concerns and what I look for in a good foundation. So, goodbye, Clinique Stay Matte.

on 6/23/2015 2:13:00 PM

This review is a work in progress, as I continue my everlasting foundation quest. And sadly, my quest is outlasting the staying power of most foundations, including this one. I have tried two generous samples in Golden Neutral. I have used this foundation for just over a week.

Background: I have oily-normal combination skin, and currently am dealing with some dry patches. My skin has hormone & stress-caused breakouts; my tone is very yellow and tends on the light-medium range. My biggest foundation struggles are: shade match (including initial match and oxidation), and staying power (especially with my oily areas).

Pros:
There seems to be a decent shade range in general; my difficult to match undertone is almost matched with golden neutral.
This does not seem to oxidize, so if you find your shade, it will stay matched throughout the day.
Blends nicely, and plays nicely with most of my other face products (including drugstore blushes, face powders, and bronzers). It sets fast enough to be reasonable; you can blend it in without feeling stupidly rushed, but not so long that it ends up on your clothes.
Packaging: Though perhaps not as chic as a glass bottle, I like the squeeze tube packaging. It makes this travel friendly, hygienic, and easy to control.
The cheapest or one of the cheapest foundations at Sephora. I was actually more impressed with this ~$23 one than the $55 Hourglass one.

Cons: My biggest issue is that it does not do what it says it will do--it does not "stay matte." After 4 hours of wearing this, I went to use a blotting sheet, and I was so oily on my forehead that the sheet just stuck to my head. Super cute. I was surprised that my oils did not break down the foundation and wear it away, but I still looked oily beyond "naturally glowy."
For as thick as the consistency is, it isn't as full-coverage as I expected. I don't think this is a foundation that can be built up to a fuller coverage.
On that note, I don't think it played nicely with my concealer. The products going on top of foundation (so to speak) such as blush, bronzer, and powder were fine, but when I tried to put concealer on after this foundation, I felt it was hard to blend in my concealer. I attribute this to the steadfast setting of the foundation. I have to either work stupidly fast to blend in my concealer nicely, or put on concealer first, otherwise the blemishes I want to conceal look even more apparent and cakey.

on 6/21/2015 12:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This is a worthy foundation. After using some higher priced brands and releasing that there are lower priced options like Clinique that are just as good, if not better, I went to give this a try. This has a nice gel consistency that I found made my skin look clean and matte. The color selection is a bit odd, but it worked for my fair/medium complexion. It gave medium coverage and looked natural.

on 6/20/2015 12:05:00 AM

First off, I have to admit that a good portion of my irritation with this product is that it did not match my skin, after I was color matched by a sales associate. On my very fair skin the lightest shade is a horrible orange. While I understand that my skin is pretty darn pale and not every brand will match me exactly, I don't want to be sold something and assured it matches only to find out when I get home. and out of the bright store lighting that it does not. So, very fair ladies, this is likely not the product for you.

However, after I bought this I was out of town for a few weeks, and gave it a shot because a) I was not near a place to return it and b) thought I was imagining the color mis match since the sales associate was so sure of it. Anyway, the foundation itself applies rather heavy, and at first does have a very made up look to it. In a few hours the finish evens out to something more natural. I would give the formula positive marks in that it did not break out my skin even though it was heavy, and did seem to help with shine control. Also, although I did not like the color for my skin it did not oxidize any more throughout the day, meaning that if you have a good match in the morning it should stay that way. A strong negative in my opinion is that for the price the product goes quickly. Even though this foundation is 1 fluid ounce just like most other foundations, it's thick so you use a good amount each time. As a result the value did not seem good to me. Very pretty packaging that keeps clean.

on 6/1/2015 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Finally! Where has this been all my life? I usually tend to like the more "trendy" brands like Nars, MUFE in high end but on a whim decided to try Clinique.

So here's my story - I've looked high and low for a foundation that will stay on my face. Ideally one that's not super matte. After having tried EVERYTHING I found Estee Lauder Doublewear. Finally something that stayed on all day. But soon I started breaking out like crazy. And I have not had a break out in like 10 years. So I started looking again.

I decided to try this as I heard Clinique has a reputation for being good for sensitive skin. This has high coverage and goes on matte. After a few hours its less matte and more skin like. Exactly what I was looking for. Sometimes I put a bit of powder on my nose and its perfection. And the best news of all? No break outs so far.

One note- if you are looking for a true matte foundation this is not for you.

I'm NC 35 in Mac and Golden Neutral is a perfect match.

on 5/27/2015 5:57:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I was pleasantly surprised by this foundation - if only it did what it claims to do and stay matte!

This stuff applies like a dream, blends really well and I was so impressed when I first put it on! It gave me that "my skin but better" look, I could apply a second layer to cover my dark pigmentation and acne scars and it still looked really natural. It felt amazing on my skin - I couldn't feel it on my skin, like you can with some foundations.

I was matched to shade 21 (Cream Caramel) which is a touch dark for me (I usually wear Bobbi Brown Golden Honey foundation stick, I'm about NC44-45 in MAC, Estee Lauder intensity 4.0 in Double Wear Light) but it was quite golden/yellow toned so blended in well for me.

The thing that surprised me the most about this foundation is that it lasted ALL DAY. Even on a busy, sweaty full on day when I didn't have time to touch up, I was amazed to see that it was still on my face and still looked as freshly applied as when I put it on!! This foundation doesn't have that long-wear feel so I didn't expect it to last as long as it did and certainly look as incredible.

I love this little squeeze tube packaging - really versatile and handy.

Sadly, the most important feature lets this foundation down - I. Did. Not. Stay. Matte. After application, there was a bit of a natural glow going on, but I ignored it because my skin just looked so beautiful! After about 4 hours, the oil was definitely breaking through and I needed a blot. By the end of the day, even though the foundation was firmly on my place and looked great, I was incredibly oily. So I guess bonus points for my oil not being able to break up this foundation, but I'm still on the hunt for a foundation that won't leave me looking like a greaseball.

Still, because this foundation is so incredible in so many other ways, I'm only taking off one lippie for not keeping me matte! I will continue to finish off the sample that I have, maybe play around with using powder to help with the mattifying (even though it hasn't helped with other foundations, but who knows??). No breakouts on my sensitive skin yet, either. Oh, if only I could get this to stay matte on my skin, I would have found my HG!!!

Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure

My rating for his is mostly due to the fact it's the first foundation I've found in my 23 years of life to match my crazy skin tone! Now, I'm not so impressed with the "oil free" it implies because it does make me slightly oily, but compared to tons of other makeups I've tried this is the least oily one that doesn't get greasy in 20minutes. As long as I set it with a finishing powder it lasts a good time before having to blot with rice paper. I have extremely oily skin. Above all, I truly love the color! It doesn't look like I have makeup that's how good it blends. Not full coverage so if you need to cover scars or acne, do not rely on this, this is light to medium coverage.

on 5/3/2015 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

This was another failure on my hunt for the perfect foundation for my oily skin. The first two days with this were fine and it looked like the end of my long and expensive journey. Now, two weeks later, my oil is out of control. I am blotting at least three times a day, and with this foundation, whenever I blot, the foundation comes off with the blot sheets. And after blotting, my face looks cakey and uneven. I am so disappointed with this. I thought it couldn't get any worse. The only pro about this foundation is the packaging. It's easy to control how much you get out with the tube. I guess this may work for some oily women, but not for me. Wouldn't recommend.

on 4/21/2015 2:34:00 AM

Currently have a very oily forehead, and breakouts along there. The MAC face and body has so far been the perfect foundation except for the shine, so while I was at Myers, I tried on the Clinique Stay Matte Foundation in hopes for a mattifying foundation.

Purchased the Sandy Colour, after being matched with a colour. Originally thought it was a bit too orange and dark for me, but the lady reassured me it was fine. Next day, I applied it, there was a huge difference in colour, very dark, however did match my forehead fine. Went out with the foundation anyways, just to see how it is.

My friends could tell my foundation was a shade too orange/dark. HOWEVER, it did keep me matte, good coverage, overall would have been A PERFECT foundation, if the shade was closer to my skin colour. Went back to Myers, got the foundation returned, and instead they gave me the neutral colour sample to try. Since the beige is more pink undertoned. Although the neutral matched my cheeks, it was far too light for my forehead, which is a problem with a lot of foundations. I did find it have a light pink tint to it which I am a bit disappointed with. Plus side, has no SPF so good with photography, just wish there was a stronger yellow tone to their foundations like MAC. This foundation will definately be your HG if you have oily forehead/combination skin, looking for everyday foundation! It does not feel like you have ANYTHING on your skin!! AMAZING, wish they still have the golden neutral colour available, think they discontinued it. Hopefully I can come back to it when there are more colours available!

on 4/12/2015 12:21:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

HOLY GRAIL FOUNDATION !!!! Finally I found something that works with my skin. I have combination skin with a very very very oily t-zone and nothing helped. I've tried soo many foundations from estee lauder, mac, nars to chanel and nothing satisfied me. But this foundation is literally a miracle!! I have big pores in my t-zone and I swear no primer no foundation helped bluring them away BUT THIS FOUNDATION DID!!! It not only is longlasting on my skin but it also made my pores look soo small! I cant even explain how much I love this foundation!! BUY IT !!!!