September 18, 2014 | 1015 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Colorsilk

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2014 5:03:00 AM More reviews by bbydiva

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been using this since high school to keep my hair black and I love it . My hair ends up feeling and looking healthier after I use it which I love ! I dyed my hair red at one point (ugh) and had to change it back because I simply didn't care to keep up with it so I used what I knew , revlon color silk and sure enough it worked like charm. Id recommend this product most def . Now keep in mind , your hair should be in good condition when you dye so if it's not and it falls out or something, don't blame the hair dye ! Haha

rated 4 of 5 on 9/9/2014 1:47:00 AM More reviews by maybom

This is the first time I've tried Revlon hair color, my usual is L'Oreal. The Revlon shade I used was Medium Golden Brown which is more or less my go to shade regardless of brand. After the process, I was surprised at how dark my hair had turned - less golden brown and more very dark brown/soft black. I didn't like it at all! I even tried to strip the color the next day using the baking soda paste method. I figured that my color would start lightening within a week but it hadn't. After two weeks had passed, the color did look a little lightened, about 2 shades but still not medium golden brown enough for me. It's been 3 weeks since the process and the color has finally settled to a shade I like. I have a few stubborn grey hairs that other dyes really never seemed to cover but the Revlon dye has done an outstanding job of getting them, even 3 weeks later. The Revlon color is fantastically priced and I'll buy again but maybe I'll try a lighter shade next time.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2014 5:31:00 AM More reviews by Hkc123

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I've been dying my hair since I was 11, and revlon colorsilk has always been my number one go to brand! The color range is awesome, and you can't beat the price! I always get a shade lighter than what I'm going for, but that's something you always should do when coloring with box dye. I have used the blacks, browns, reds, and a few of the darker blond shades and I've had success with all. My hair always feels amazing and the conditioner is really great. I only wish it came in a bigger packet! Sometimes I will branch out and get clairol nice and easy or garnier, but I always end up coming back to colorsilk. Nothing compares! Just used the light ash brown on my bleach blond hair today and my hair has never been this close to my natural with a box dye! Also my hair was very warm towards the bottom and it fixed that completely and my hair is all one color now. I recommend this 100 percent to everyone.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/7/2014 1:53:00 AM More reviews by LilyTaylor16

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

ALL TIME FAVORITE HAIR DYE. I've used this in pretty much every shade of black and brown, with a couple of the light blonde shades. The colors come out very true to the box and last forever. The dye smells pleasant and the small (a little too small

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2014 11:34:00 AM More reviews by althea77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Yes! This inexpensive color fixed my hot roots! I've tried everything and this is the best for gray too. Thanks for the reviews! The conditioner is chintzy though...best to mix with other conditioner, like someone said. It smells great though! Definitely will repurchase. I used brown-black and I don't see any red tones.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/30/2014 11:54:00 AM More reviews by Annabanana030

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Black

The color fades a little. Don't think it strong enough for my roots. Other than that but was pretty nice...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2014 11:28:00 AM More reviews by monicaandree

I have changed my hair color so much in the last year that it's a miracle I even still have hair. I've gone from dark espresso brown to medium golden blonde with highlights and everything in between. My natural color is a level 6 ashy blonde, and I wish I could get it back because it is so naturally shiny! So, when my medium highlighted blonde started looking very warm and almost strawberry blonde, I decided to use the Revlon Colorsilk in dark ash blonde. I've had success with the darker colors in the past, and this was no exception. I now have a TRUE ashy dark level 6 blonde with a lot of dimension - lowlights and highlights. This darkened the lowlights and deposited color on the highlights such that I look like I had my hair professionally done. I didnt use the conditioner packet as it wouldnt be enough for my long hair. This is as close as I've been to my natural color in over a decade, and I can now just let my hair grow out naturally. HG!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/3/2014 3:12:00 AM More reviews by Callque

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

My favorite brand of drugstore hair dyes and also the cheapest!

They're a pain in the butt to rinse out and have a messy formula but the colors are great for the price and they leave my hair exceptionally shiny and soft. The colors are hit and miss for me (I find some of their darker colors too flat looking to be natural) but once you find the right color WOW. I use Deep Rich Brown 27 and love it (HG for me). It's a warm dark brown that isn't flat and doesn't have any fake burgundy tones to it.

Beautiful and a great price!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/2/2014 9:33:00 PM More reviews by dcalhalabi93

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is by far my favorite box dye that I have ever used. Not only is is super cheap (You can buy a box from Walmart for only $2.99-$3.99), but it leaves your hair is SUCH good condition. After Rinsing and applying the conditioner that comes with it, your hair will feel satin soft and smell like heaven and have a shine like no other. I didn't want to wash my hair after that because I didn't want the wonderful smell to go away! lol

The cons to it are that I have found if you are not using a shampoo and conditioner MADE for colored hair, your color will fade pretty fast, especially if you are using a color with a red or orange base. This means money for upkeep (But hey, its only 3 bucks) and I recommend sleeping with a towel or old shirt under your head for the first few washes to avoid staining your pillow. (Yeah, it does happen) Lets just say, on April 5th I died my hair a burgundy color, and after a few weeks, my pillow became burgundy and my hair became an auburn brown/chestnut brown color. (I was NOT using a color shampoo/conditioner)

But definitely if you are wanting a change and are not wanting to commit a bunch of money on a temporary look (Because hair grows out, some faster than others and you'll have to redye it eventually) than this is the perfect product for you. I especially recommend it for people whose hair is thinner or possibly more damaged, as this will add a very nice shine and softness to it that is maintainable using the right styling products.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2014 9:23:00 AM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've been coloring my hair with Revlon Colorsilk for years with excellent results. I used #72 Strawberry Blonde for years (sadly it's been discontinued). For a while I messed around with bleach and other dyes, and basically ruined my hair. I had to completely grow out the color. Then I timidly reached for the Colorsilk again. I tried the #42 Medium Auburn which turned out great. It made my naturally light brown hair a beautiful medium red. Recently, I mixed half #71 Golden Blonde with half #42 Medium Auburn to recreate the discontinued Strawberry Blonde as closely as I could. (FYI: It came out a pretty light sandy red). If you want reds that look natural, use Revlon Colorsilk. I've never been left with color too orange or purple looking. As for the condition of my hair, it feels great. I color once a month, and I haven't had any problems with damage. Keep in mind I regularly use protein shampoos and conditioners.

Normally I buy my color at Kroger's, which sells it for $2.99 a box. However, I've seen it as high as $4.99 a box at some drugstores. Regardless, it's still the most affordable haircolor on the market. Sure the gloves are cheap, but they work. The only thing Revlon Colorsilk won't do is take a dark haired person super light. You'll end up orange every time, but that's true of most boxed haircolor. You need bleach to seriously lighten dark hair. And if you go too dark, you're stuck with it until it grows out or until you see a hairdresser for some expensive color correction. Remember: It's always best to stay within 2 or 3 shades of your natural haircolor.