October 20, 2014 | 1947 users online

Polishes - Layla Cosmetics - Hologram Effect

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/6/2013 4:43:00 PM More reviews by Nosage

I have this in the coffee shade - sorry I do not have the exact name but it is Coffee something or other. It's a dark brown with a bronzey blue holo effect. Now that I have finished the manicure I can admire the effect but it was a palaver to get a decent finish. First off I used a base coat but I think you are meant to apply directly on the nail after buffing. I cannot bring myself to apply on a bare nail. Perhaps that's why I found this incredibly difficult to apply. I applied three coats in the end and ended up doing post manicure filling to fill in the bald spots. It was a weird application. I felt that I was chasing the polish around the nail. Topped it off with Seche Vite. It looks nice enough. Have to angle your nail to the light to get the holo effect. Not sure the pay off was worth the prolonged polishing process. Perhaps I will use my Essie matte top coat as a base next time. As an aside, this might be very similar to OPI's famous My Private Jet, the original holo version. I have only ever seen online swatches but it does look a bit similar. I had MPJ, the current non holo version, but gave it away as it was a meh shade, flat and boring. You cannot accuse the Layla one of being flat. Just thought I would mention if anyone is lusting after the old OPI version :)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/31/2013 7:56:00 PM More reviews by AlohaPandaXOXO

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Layla's holographic polishes are beautiful once applied, but formula seems to differ among the shades. My favorite out of the three I own is 07 Ocean Rush, which applies nearly opaque after one coat and is a bright cerulean blue with a beautiful linear holographic effect. The color is much richer than how it appears in the bottle. 05 Jade Groove is a light green that applies a little patchier than Ocean Rush did, but still yields a pretty final effect without too much fuss. 01 Mercury Twilight was the hardest to work with application wise and I often found myself recovering small gaps on my nail after applying another coat in an attempt to get an even color application. Mercury Twilight takes a lot more layers to get opaque and seems to at times pull up color rather than apply it when you're adding more coats. All formulas dried relatively quickly and didn't dull down when I used Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails as a top coat. I got Ocean Rush and Jade Groove on clearance, so I'm happy with how well they performed for only being $4 a piece, but I regret paying full price for Mercury Twilight. If you're interested in these, I'd be very particular about what color you choose and probably should avoid Mercury Twilight.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2013 9:25:00 PM More reviews by Anya1976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have 9 of these polishes (one is a back up) I have 1-8
I love these holos.
my wear was always at least a week. I do use base coats and the topcoat i tend to use with these is rock top coat ... top coat does dull the holo a little bit so i did try to use a thinner one to keep it as holo as possible.
I was bummed to see these on clearance at ulta recently (which is why i picked up a backup of jade groove) I was really hoping they'd get the second collection of holos there so I could get all of them.
I admit to getting some balding at times when I was not careful in applying BUT for the most part i did not have issues. Most holo's are persnickety with application and you do have to be careful and I am aware of this. the base coat i generally use is opi bonder since it's sticky.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/15/2013 4:38:00 PM More reviews by cameobear

This product was such a disappointment. I hate to be a hater, because this product is so well liked, but it just wasn't for me. I've been searching for the perfect holo polish for awhile. I ignored the bad reviews, and thought this would be it. Boy was I wrong. I didn't realize this is such a high maintenance product, so I did my manicure as always: light buffing, push back cuticles, and 2 coats of my HG Revlon Colorstay base coat. I'm a busy lady: I don't have time to spend an hour and a half doing my nails, and I can't do them every other day. With my base coat, I can usually get 5-7 days before I get chips, regardless of the top coat I use.

I applied three coats of this polish, and it was STILL streaky; the layers also took FOREVER to dry, and were still so goopy that I ended up ruining a nail. Apparently you have to buff your nail a lot and use no base coat to avoid the streaks, but my nails are fairly thin and actually hurt if I overbuff. Additionally, this polish chipped on day 2, despite my basecoat! I can't imagine it lasting long without one... Also, say goodbye to your topcoat, it pretty much erases the holo effect unless you're in really bright lighting.

If you want a great holo that you can use a base coat and top coat with, that will last a week with revlon CS base coat, that isn't horrendously streaky,and is HALF the price of this, try Color Club Harp On It.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2013 8:15:00 PM More reviews by LadyPunk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Got this in Mercury Twilight and Flash Black. Very impressed with the application as it is a holo. Not really any dragging and if there are bald spots, they aren't very noticeable. Also, this formula dries very quickly which is nice. I used the file before applying 3 coats and used OPI Topcoat to finish. Would definitely recommend this for anyone intrigued by holos as there is no need for aqua fix which is hard find and expensive to boot.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/13/2013 8:26:00 PM More reviews by KeepFlyyingGirlie

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

These are the only holographic polishes I own, due to easy accessibility state-side and fantastic appearance. I own Mercury Twilight (a classic silver holographic) and Mermaid Spell (a sky blue-teal blend) and these both produce a gorgeous linear holographic effect (hence the name) that is extremely intense compared to the swatches of other brands I've seen. Layla is the only brand I know of that produces so many different colors of this type of nail polish, I believe sixteen? Anyway, this does chip really easily should you follow the methods suggested by the company, but I have figured out a way to make it last longer and appear shinier. What I do is first lay down a coat of matte top coat, it will give a texture for the holographic polish to adhere to rather than just your bare nail. I then paint two coats of the holographic polish, and let it thoroughly dry between coats. Once those two layers have dried, I apply a quick dry top coat with a lot of shine (Seche Vite is my personal choice). Then, on top of the top coat, I apply a final coat of holographic polish. The top coat between the layers of color will still allow the holographic effect to show through should the top holographic layer chip. The top coat in between will also add a shiny base for the top layer, really making your nails eye catching and bright. It'll last a good while too with this method!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 1/21/2013 1:26:00 PM More reviews by Tearbag1969

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love the look of this polish, but it chips in a matter of hours (even with a top coat) I would have expected more at this steep price. So disappointing. Cant recommend

rated 4 of 5 on 8/15/2012 2:24:00 PM More reviews by sh0cking

I saw swatches of this polish on a blog, so when I saw them at Ulta I was super excited (and bought four). These are the first linear hologram polishes I have ever tried. Directions on the bottle say not to use a base or a top coat, but to instead use their base file to prep nails. I used a regular two-sided buffer.

I found the best holographic effect after three coats. Be patient, because it doesn't show its true intensity until it is 100% dry. It is very unique, and I'd definitely recommend it for a night out or special occasion.

The biggest downside to the polish was the wear - I only got two days of wear out of my manicure until it started chipping, and for the price, I would like to see my nails stay nicer for a longer period of time.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2012 2:04:00 PM More reviews by fontainemullins

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This polish is amazing! When I first put it on, it looked like crap. But then it dried... it was magic! So I added another layer... omg even better! On the 3rd application.... wow! When you apply it it looks plain. When it dries, it looks amazing! The holographic effect is so vibrant that it actually makes your eyes feel funny. Yes, I know I sound completely unrealistic, but this is truly how this polish is! Yep, it chips soooo easily. But that's nothing that a clear topcoat can't fix. I recommend Sally Hansen Advanced Hard As Nails or any other good top coats. This polish is amazing, and when u buy it, it looks dull in the bottle. But amazing on you! Downside: bottle isn't the most attractive! That is all! :D

rated 2 of 5 on 5/1/2012 10:16:00 PM More reviews by Chelsea516

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been dying to get my hands on a holographic polish, so when I saw this at my local ulta I was so excited! I purchased the Silver one to start with. I wanted to love this polish so bad... But I dislike it! I tried using a base coat and top coat but it looked dull, so I tried without, it looked much better but it seriously chipped in a matter of hours. And I mean CHIPPED. also, you could only notice the holographic effect in certain light, otherwise it looked like I had dull, cheap silver polish on. For 15 dollars I expected much better! This line of polishes got amazing reviews on every site, so maybe I just had really bad luck with it, but it just didn't work for me... & I'm very sad about it!