December 22, 2014 | 1855 users online

Cleansers - Philosophy - Purity Made SimpleŽ Facial Cleansing Gel & Eye Makeup Remover

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2014 1:46:00 PM More reviews by stellar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I came on here intending to write a rave review for this product, but then I read the review below mine in which the reviewer stated it made her break out with perioral dermatitis, which is a condition I myself have had in the past. I had a fairly severe case of it and I can tell you that it's absolute *hell*. It's painful, it's sore, it burns, it's itchy, and needless to say, it's horribly embarrassing. I was on a very high dose of antibiotics for three full months and had to use a topical cream for even longer than that to finally get rid of it. After that I did a lot of research (as the dermatologist was of absolutely no help when it came to giving information about the condition) and really altered the products I used on my face, my hair, and my body. Fortunately I've never had an outbreak again.

I received a sample of this cleanser with a Sephora order about a year ago and it sat unused until I got tired of the cleanser I was using at the time not removing all my makeup, and I realized it was irritating my skin and causing bumps on my cheeks. I used the sample and really liked it so I went and bought a full bottle. One bottle (containing 7.5 ounces) lasted me for eight full months, and that was using it twice daily - in the morning and at night. At $23 per bottle, that's a great deal financially. I only have to use a pea size amount at night and half that in the morning. It removes all my makeup and doesn't dry out or irritate my skin. I bought a second tube and got on here to submit my rave review. However, once I saw the previously mentioned review I did some research into the ingredients in this product. Paula's Choice actually gives it a "Poor" rating which really concerns me. I'm usually so careful about what I put on my face and really research beforehand, but with this I just kind of assumed that since it didn't irritate, that meant it's safe to use. I even had to use a different cleanser for a few days until I could get to the store to repurchase the Philosophy, and I noticed my skin was dry in certain areas after having done that. Now that I've been using the Philosophy again, it's improving. So I'm kind of torn. I highly suggest you read the review on www.paulaschoice.com before purchasing. I will probably use up this tube and then try to find a different cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/30/2014 8:57:00 AM More reviews by mariella99

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been a faithful user of the original Purity Made Simple facial cleanser for some time now but I have to admit, I like this foaming one even better. I have 2 generous samples of it and can't wait to finish up my original (or at least some other cleanser) so I can justify buying this one. I love that it produces a rich, cushiony lather and that it removes every trace of makeup - including my under eye concealer - without irritation and without leaving my skin feeling stripped and dry. It rinses away cleanly and, overall, is just a really terrific makeup remover and skin cleanser.

Update: Bought the full-sized tube of this and I'm so pleased with the results. While my skin isn't oily and we're moving into the colder, very dry months here in Ontario, I still find that this cleans thoroughly without leaving my skin feeling dry or tight. Great product.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/27/2014 3:43:00 AM More reviews by feistydoll

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

After seeing so many good reviews on MUA about this product, I decided to give it a go. After several weeks, I regretted that decision so much. At first I was being in denial about the product not working. I thought my skin was purging. My skin usually gets 1-3 acne at a time. But after two weeks, the condition of my skin is the worse ever in my life. Never before I have pimples all over my face and in places that I've never gotten any breakouts too! Even new cystic acne starts to pop up everywhere on my face. I even have tiny bumps on my face. My best friend told me to stop using this new product and see if that would help my skin. So I stopped using Purity and of course, after that, my cystic acne disappeared and acnes reduced.

I am still recovering from the acne scars left by this product. My advice is, if you have oily sensitive skin like mine, do not get this. It will save you time, money and heartbreak from seeing your face full of acne.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/15/2014 10:24:00 AM More reviews by DanicaMarie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

**UPDATE**
As strange as this is going to sound, I won't lie, a small small part of me was hoping it wasn't this cleanser and that my rash type thing would persist after discontinuing use; meaning that it would have to be something else. But i can definitely confirm, that after 48 hours now, it has almost completely cleared up, and was obviously this cleanser. I really really wanted to love it, and i've never had a reaction to any skin care product in my life so this was really disappointing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm really glad i waited to review this product. To be honest that's mostly because i just kept forgetting, otherwise i would have probably reviewed this 2 weeks ago and given it 5 lippies! I loved this stuff right off the bat. I was wiling to review it after only a week of use. First mistake.
I will list the things i did like about this cleanser first and get that out of the way:
- Its a gel cleanser, so its light and refreshing.
-There is little to no scent which i prefer.
- It foams up really nice.
- It does leave your skin feeling clean.
There we go, now i can get on with how i REALLY feel about this cleanser. As i said, i really liked this cleanser right off the bat. I was almost ready to declare it my HG. It was light, left my face feeling clean, and for a couple weeks i was in love with it! Then it started. I noticed in the corner of my mouth i was getting really dry and flaky, which isnt normal for my skin at all, i have pretty oily skin, i've never had dry patches anywhere, ever so this was strange to me. I didn't think much of it and just applied my moisturizer a little more generously in that area. As the days went on, it just wasn't going away and almost seemed to be getting worse. I started to get little bumps, almost little pimples basically and the flaky skin looked like little cuts. It started to get more and more noticeable and i had no idea what was going on. My moisturizer just wasn't cutting it and i slaaaaapped that stuff on constantly. Finally i went on Google and typed in my issues. All of the links came up with Perioral Dermatitis. Every single one. My case wasn't nearly as severe as the picture in the links (thank god) but it was spot on for what i was experiencing. I read what causes this and almost everything in this cleanser was on the list for things that can cause it. I was mortified considering i do NOT have sensitive skin at all. I could use a different cleanser every single day and my skin would not care. Even after just 24 hours of not using this cleanser, the skin around my mouth is less inflamed. Not 100% i'll probably still be dealing with it for a while still, but clearly this cleanser is a lot more harsh than it leads on. Very very upset. This was my first Philosophy product and i so wanted to love it but clearly it is not for me. Even if you have skin like mine, where nothing has ever affected it, take caution and read ingredients. I'm not sure which one i reacted to, but its definitely in there somewhere!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 9:37:00 AM More reviews by KarmaEls

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

OMG, I love this stuff. I love it from the first time i used it. It's a little bit on the pricier side but you don't need much each time you use it and the tube will last you a long time. It removes all my makeup, from mascara to waterproof eyeliner. Amazing!!!! I always doubting about Philosophy's products, but now, I'm thinking about switching all my skincare products to Philosophy, that's how I love it. Best purchase I ever made

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2013 7:36:00 AM More reviews by ladypamela1

This does an excellent job of deep cleaning my face and removing face makeup. It is a no nonsense foaming gel that actually does what it promises without making skin feel stripped and dry. I use this a few times a week when I do not care to deal with creating laundry via used washcloths. I will certainly be trying more Philosophy products. Just a little bit goes a long way. Love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/27/2013 3:41:00 AM More reviews by Calliopi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Instant clogged pores! I've never used a more pore clogging product than this. Totally unexpected because it's a foaming gel cleanser but after one use I had clogged pores ALL over my face. Then I stupidly decided to use it a second time and had full on pimples pop up! Do not recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2013 9:30:00 AM More reviews by najahlasha

I use this with my clarisonic at night to remove makeup! It lasts a long time and suds up very quickly! It's also gentle, but leaves my skin feeling free & clean!I'm not gonna even try anything else! Pair it with josie maran argon oil, and you're set!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by Kenna84

This is my new go to cleanser.

I have an oily t-zone with dry cheeks and am prone to cystic acne on my chin and blackheads on my cheeks.

I have tried to develop a routine using a product specifically designed to remove makeup and then cleansing my face but even with the best intentions that rarely happens. I like that this product removes makeup and cleanses. I use it in conjunction with a handheld facial cleansing brush and its awesome. Gives me a deep down clean without being harsh or abrasive and removes all dirt and makeup without causing my skin to go into overdrive and create too much oil afterwards.

I have noticed a considerable decrease in my blackheads and have had no cysitc acne in months. I attribute this to two factors, 1. discontinuing the use of other products and, 2. finding a cleanser that does what I need it to do.

I will continue using this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2013 5:17:00 PM More reviews by jennrn74

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I love love love the purity products. I have just discovered this and it will be my summer cleanser for my combo skin. The smell is slightly different than the cream version and doesn't bother my sensitive nose. I am more prone to heavy oil in the summer and drier in the winter, this leaves my skin feeling clean without the tightness of overly drying. The tube is a great system of delivery, I use a little drop on my Clarisonic and that's all I need. I haven't found the one cleanser to keep my skin from being shiny through my 12 hour shifts as a nurse but this is a great start. It is great for a person with sensitive skin, super gentle and great cleaning.