December 18, 2014 | 1202 users online

Moisturizers - Avene - Skin Recovery Cream (US name: Cream For Intolerant Skin)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2014 2:44:00 AM More reviews by chanhm

I was in desperate need of a good moisturizer to get rid of the dry patches on my cheeks. I applied this day and night, and VOILA! My dry patches were gone after only 2 days!!! This stuff is FREAKING AMAZING! It is very thick, almost like a toothpaste consistency, and quite hard to blend (compared to other moisturizers). It's not greasy at all and leaves a matte finish. Also love the packaging: light and travel-friendly plastic squeeze tube with a specially sealed opening that makes it very hygienic. No fragrance and hypoallergenic.

rated 1 of 5 on 11/15/2014 9:08:00 AM More reviews by Zarahshortlash

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a review for the rich formula, and sadly, this moisturizer made my skin feel leathery and my pores seemed to be enlarged, and worst of all: I got an itching rash from it. I tried it for two weeks, but now it is in my waste bin.

I bought it because since I hit 40, my skin has become very dry and very sensitive (i.e. I can't use the products I've been using for so many years anymore, my face gets all red). I was looking for a moisturizer that without perfume and colorants, and after a quite extensive research online I decided to go for the Avené Skin Recovery Cream Rich.

It was very rich so a little goes a long way, but it felt strange... Like the skin was hydrated but at the same time not supple and soft. At the beginning it calmed my red and irritated skin a little bit, but as the days went by my skin started to itch. Furthermore, my foundation (Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation) didn't set and instead that made me look like I had dry patches all over my face (which I didn't) and enhanced my pores instead of concealing them.

Finally, when the itching became bulging rashes on my chin, I decided to stop using this cream.

I would not recommend this to anyone. It was one of the strangest creams I've ever tried and I've tried Clarins, Clinique, Oil of Olay, Neutrogena, L'Oreal, Dior, Garnier, Elizabeth Arden etc. Reach for another moisturizer, MUA reader, this one won't help!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/4/2014 7:35:00 AM More reviews by nanaad

My skin tends to be oily on the T-zone area, but since this product, it neutralise my skin that it's no longer producing oil that much. It gives balance and now my skin feels healthier and smoother :)

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2014 6:22:00 AM More reviews by chewedcucumber

Saved me after some bad sun damage.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/1/2014 5:15:00 PM More reviews by Michael0586

I initially bought his product about 3 years ago, my skin was going through a rough time and despite normally being oily was extremely dry, irritated and red!!

After a few laps around the boots skincare section I was approached by a sales assistant who after one look at my face and dragged me over to the avene counter (of which I will be forever grateful!!!)

This cream calms the skin immediately and after about a week my skin resumed its normal service, I initially used this ad-hoc when my skin was playing up or I'd used and exfoliate, but now since discovering the combination skin option I use it as a night cream.

I cannot speak highly enough about this product, or about avene as a brand, as I'm getting older my skin appears to becoming more and more sensitive and this brand (particularly this moisturiser) keeps my skin in check.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/18/2014 6:18:00 PM More reviews by qingdao

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Black

Like some users I have red flat hive type eruptions,.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/30/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by jagorkarinte

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used this after chemical peels of whenever my skin was dry and needed some extra attention. The first couple of times I used it I loved it and thought I'd found the perfect alternative to my beloved (but expensive here in Sweden) Dermalogica Active moist. However, after I started to use it every day, the effect seemed to wear off and I ended up with dry patches of skin. This is very unusual for me, and it disappeared after I stopped using this product. I now use Avene Cold cream after peels and Active Moist for every day use and could not be happier!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2014 12:31:00 AM More reviews by debstarnes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have super sensitive skin that reacts to just about everything I put on it. This is the one cream that seems to work for me. It works so good, that I'm a little concerned that it might contain hydro cortisone, which is not a good thing to use long term. I've tried to research one of it's ingredients "Parcerine", which the Avène website says is the ingredient responsible for the calming affect, but not much is available about it. If anyone can help with this query I would be most grateful :-)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/20/2014 9:52:00 PM More reviews by fionahz

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I'm on my second tube of this moisturiser and I've decided that it is now a fundamental part of my skincare repertoire. I use Retin-A a couple of times a week, which sometimes gives me flakies around my nose and mouth and I've been looking for the perfect soothing, repairing moisturiser to deal with this for years. I've also just started using a MaryKay Skinvigorate cleansing brush, which means I need a bit more moisturisation because of the exfoliation.

Over the years I've tried some decent, almost-there moisturisers that would work for a while and then not handle my skin on its worst days, some moisturisers that would cost a bomb and which I would throw out after a week's use because they would break me out, irritate my skin, pill under my make-up or do nothing to help my skin. It has been a very expensive, tedious exercise. Skin Recovery Cream is not perfect. It doesn't completely eliminate the flakies, but it doesn't sting, it doesn't make me red, it doesn't make me oily or break me out, it doesn't make my make-up pill or disappear and my skin feels hydrated. The only drawback I can see so far is that the tube is so small and Avene products are pretty expensive.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 12:07:00 PM More reviews by damsel19

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Amazing product for sensitive skin types, very moisturising but not greasy. Perfect if you have had an allergic reaction/hormonal skin.Will definitely buy again.