Avene Skin Recovery Cream (US name: Cream For Intolerant Skin)

4.1

US cream for intolerant skin: Water (Aqua), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Cyclomethicone, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Squalane, Benzoic Acid, Carbomer, Chlorphenesin, Phenoxyethanol, Tetrasodium EDTA, Triethanolamine. ------------------------------------ US Avene skin recovery cream: Avene Thermal Spring Water (avene Aqua), Mineral Oil (paraffinumliquidum), Glycerin, Glycerylstearate, Squalane, Cyclopentasiloxane, Clycohexasiloxane, Serine, Carbomer, Tetrasodium Edta, Triethanolamine, Water (aqua).

on 7/23/2015 8:09:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I've only been using this for a week - l just wanted to say that there are 2 different ingredient lists for the same cream in the UK. Avène sent me a sample with the ingredients listings found on UK websites (see bottom ingredients list), but a 40ml came today from Garden Pharmacy with an older style logo and different ingredients (see top list: not added by me).

Aha! There are 2 creams- the normal one and the 'calming formula' (on the photo) which is 40ml instead of 50ml. The calming formula seems to be the only option on Australian sites and UK Amazon and a few other retailers. The original 50ml is available at Boots, where l shall be heading off to first thing tomorrow morning!

on 6/21/2015 8:14:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Emergency aid for irritating skin. Great skin restorative - restores skin to normality. I use when I don't learn my lesson that my skin can only be treated gently. When I forget (or more truthfully ignore that and try something that will miraculously take 15 years off me) I use this to take away the irritation. I did use it as my main moisturiser for a few months, but now I only keep for when I need it. It is thin cream, and there is a rich version, which I have not tried.

on 6/4/2015 8:04:00 AM

I got a sample tube of this in a giveaway once for spending a certain amount of money in store. I didn't use this as first, but I decided to give it a try.

I get really dry cracked skin &on my hands & my face dries up easily. I find I only need a small amount of this for it to go far. It is unscented to me which is good & I have sensitive skin so this is suited for those with sensitive skin just like mine.

The product itself is amazing. I use it every single day as a moisturizer & I use it for my hands & it never fails me. The formula isn't greasy & it's easily absorbed into the skin. I have found myself reaching for this product so much more than anything else that I have.

For a full tube in store it is a little pricey in Australia; but I will be purchasing it once my sample tube runs out; and I have had that tube for months now & I still have quite a bit of product left.

It is an amazing cream & I can honestly recommend it to anyone looking for a deep moisturizer that is not greasy & works for sensitive skin & people with dry skin. A definite thumbs up from me!

on 5/2/2015 1:28:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Suuuuper good! I had a really bad problem w the area around my eyes starting 2011. Lots of itching and therefore scratching. Redness and inflamed skin that made me look so sick for the longest time. Randomly picked this up at the start of this year and it has worked wonders! The redness has almost completely cleared up. Sometimes it does come back. But only if I neglect my allergies and such.

on 4/9/2015 4:40:00 PM

I've picked out this moisturizer after seen all the good reviews.
I use this one for winter time when my skin is all dry and dehydrated from the cold winter temperature. I use this day and night and I absolutely LOVE it! HG for winter moisturizer. It's a pretty thick and rich cream and take a short while to be fully absorbed (less than 5 min). My skin feels so supple and soft after using this. I stopped having dry patches during winter and my skin never feels tight. (I use about 3 tubes per winter. I live in Canada so our winter is from late October until end of March). Never had a pimple with this cream.

packaging: It's nice that it's well sealed and bacteria proof but I sometimes struggled to open the moisturizer because it was shut so tightly...

price : it is an expensive for the amount you get. But it's worth every penny!

I strongly recommend this to everyone! It's worth a try. If you're not sure, you can always use it as a mask to recover from a dry, dehydrated skin. I'd rebuy this next year for sure!

on 3/18/2015 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I am very much on the fence with this moisturizer. On the one hand, I love the packaging, and I like the way the formula feels. I may have been setting myself up for failure, hoping for some kind of miracle product. My skin has been very out of whack lately, all kinds of little breakouts, smatterings of white and blackheads, and pimples popping up on my chin and forehead every so often. I also have mild rosacea, and try to avoid using anything too drying or too intense as that tends to make things worse.

That being said, I can't tell if this moisturizer (the only new product I've introduced lately into my admittedly sparse skincare regime) is making me breakout. I also don't know if it is really doing much of anything good, either, and if the tube hadn't cost be ~$35, I probably wouldn't still be using it.

I've been applying it once a day, at night, after washing my face and in the place of my usual Nivea cream. I am tempted to switch back to Nivea for a few weeks, and see if that calms things down (if I do, I will update this review.) To be honest, there is nothing inherently awful about this Avene moisturizer, and I'm sure for some people whose skin isn't quite as persnickety as mine, it might work wonders. But I haven't found anything spectacular about it either. All and all, it is a bit of a wash, potentially an acne causing one, for me.

on 3/8/2015 7:52:00 AM

It's a nice calming cream. Doesn't give enough moisture during winter though, so you need to use some oil or serum. It lasts quite long so I think it's worth the price. The only downside is that it makes my face shiny (i have slightly oily combination skin), so I wouldn't repurchase it.

on 2/27/2015 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I bought this on a whim, after my skin was irritated by another product. However, I did not notice the ingredients list. Second ingredient is mineral oil and third ingredient is cyclomethicone. Now, it might just be me but I believe it's about time brands for sensitive skin stop putting mineral oil in everything. Yes, mineral oil is great for eczma and other dry skin conditions. And that's why it should not be put on most people's faces!

I understand that some people who might actually have a disturbed hydrolipidic barrier need occlusive molecules such as those found in mineral oil to support such layer. And when people have highly allergic skin, they might not be able to use, for example, a plant oil. Sure. But most people don't need that barrier because their own barrier is intact. In the end of the day some people love mineral oil, others hate it. Either way, Avene should make it clear that this cream is only for people who tolerate occlusive moisturisers - i.e. very dry skin.

A few days of using this cream and the Avene milk cleanser left my skin full of red spots on places where I don't get them. I am adamant that the culprit is the high mineral oil content. I am scientist myself and I respect the experiments done on rabbit's and mice ears. However, it is also important to note that unlike us, mice and rabbits don't wear makeup and sunscreen nor have active sebaceous glands on their ears. They also don't become hormonal... So, just because we know that the molecules in mineral oil are too large to penetrate the pores, that doesn't necessarily mean that it won't cause problems. The fact that mineral oil is so occlusive (not only hydrophobic but also generally hard to shift) means that acne prone skin might end up breaking out. I do acknowledge that some people find great relief from mineral oil, but I would say most of us don't.

On a positive note, I really like the fact that it's fragrance free, comes in a tube and is quite light in texture. I would say this is an excellent option for people who tolerate and need moisturisers that are high in mineral oil. It still leaves a residue and a shiny face, but feels nice and soothing. I would say it would be nice to use overnight.

Overall I believe this is not suitable for my skin type. Only people who can tolerate mineral oil should reach for this. It is still much better than other recovery creams who only have mineral oil and silicones as main ingredients. At least this one has a high content of thermal water which is soothing and non occlusive- this is probably why the cream feels so light!

on 1/14/2015 10:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

i've only been using this skin recovery cream calming formula for a week but so far the results i've got have been amazing. it has improved the texture of my skin, helped bring suppleness back to my skin and my redness has subsided by about 30%. i love it. my only complaint is that it cannot be used under makeup as it's kinda sticky and leave a dewy sheen so i only use it at night. other than that, it's a keeper.

on 1/1/2015 11:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Review for Avene Skin Recovery Cream (Soothing, Protecting: For Hypersensitive and Irritable skin)...

I just ordered my second bottle of this cream. I've been using it this winter. I have oily skin, but the harsh weather makes my face blotchy and red, and usual moisturizer just wasn't doing the trick. So I went to MUA Productville and found reviews for Avene Skin Recovery Cream.

I started using this a month ago, and noticed that the blotchiness (redness and mini whiteheads) would go away. I've also noticed that after a couple weeks of regular use the super fine lines under my eyes would go away. (I don't have wrinkles, but the left side of my face - drivers side, use sunscreen ppl! - has more "smile lines" than the right)

I have oily skin and no matter what moisturizer I use (including Avene Skin Recovery Cream) on my face I always have to blot the oil away during the day. The good news is that this moisturizer doesn't seem to make my skin oilier or clog my pores. I've only been using it in the winter so far so when summer rolls around things could change.

Pros:
- moisturizing
- soothes blotchy skin
- erases fine lines and makes skin feel supple
- doesn't clog pores

Cons:
- difficult to get product out of the bottle when it's low