November 23, 2014 | 2082 users online

Treatments - Trader Joe's - Tea Tree Oil

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/7/2014 1:41:00 AM More reviews by anjelykah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

The only oil I own that has been repurchased! I will get this out of the way, this stuff stinks so it might not be for everyone. I don't mind it because it reminds me a bit of eucalyptus which I like.

My Uses:

1. Facial toner for acneic skin: Has great antibacterial properties. Dilute a few drops in some witch hazel and put in a small spray bottle. Use it to spray my face throughout the day to help treat acne (or prevent it) or moisten a cotton pad with the diluted solution and wipe face to freshen up skin.
2. Mosquito repellant: Place a few drops on your palm and apply to all exposed areas like arms and legs. I spent a summer in a small village in Mexico where there was a dengue outbreak and for the first 3 weeks I used tea tree oil and I only had two bites. I ran out and the rest of my time there was miserable...despite limiting my time outdoors, using protective clothing and using mosquito repellant, I had up to 14 mosquito bites, DAILY! It you've been bitten already, a drop of tea trea oil will help reduce the swelling and itching.
3. Onicomicosis: Nobody likes to talk about it because it is embarrassing but it happens to so many people. It has nothing to do with poor hygiene. Careful preparation of the nail needs to be done before starting treatment. First, trim off the nail that is not attached to the skin. Second, file down the nail as much as possible. A drop placed on each affected nail daily will help clear up the infection. It will take several months to actually see any improvement. Patience and consistency of use are key.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2014 12:07:00 AM More reviews by mdd123082

Wow does this stuff work miracles! I'm newly pregnant and had a minor couple of hormonal bumps begin to appear on my chin and some microscopic but yucky-feeling under the skin bumps near my ears/jawline, as well. I usually have reasonably clear skin, but get mild, occasional acne here & there during AF - being pregged out, I was worried this could become monstrous, as happens with some women... Not everyone gets the glow! I bought myself a bottle of this gem for about $5 bucks on a whim and tried it out. Literally overnight, every single bump along my jawline disappeared completely, and the chin bumps were greatly reduced. No redness. Excitedly, I washed again and reapplied on my chin... Chin bumps gone by evening, just flaked away after the shower! This is not dumb luck, the stuff is a treasure! Run, don't walk, to buy this baby, worth it's weight in gold. Buy some Qtips to dip with since the bottle is old-school apothecary style with no filter or dropper. Awesome sauce! (Hint- dilute with water as suggested for sensitive skin, don't bother if your skin can roll with it or for extra strength on bigger bumps. I didn't dilute and it was no probs, just clear skin after!)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2014 9:40:00 PM More reviews by liszteria

I have horrible skin. THERE I SAID IT. It's got hyperpigmentation and scars and cystic acne and pores and UGH I HATE IT.

This stuff is a godsend. I dilute it and use it as a toner after washing my face. I also use it to spot treat any bumps I get. While it doesn't immediately get ride of pimples and the like, I feel like it speeds up the natural healing process without completely drying out the skin. The antibacterial properties are a nice bonus :)

If you're into "natural" makeup and skincare, I highly recommend. If you're into treatments and the like for blemishes, I highly recommend. If you're into better skin, I highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2013 1:38:00 AM More reviews by wowGlee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have very, VERY oily, very acne-prone, and sadly damaged skin from over a decade of battling acne. Believe me when I say I've tried every over-the-counter and prescription medication on the market, but this tea tree oil is THE most effective spot treatment I have ever used. When I had the worst breakout of my life last winter (ANGRY RED, cystic acne all over my cheeks/chin/jaws so bad I couldn't be seen in public for 3 weeks), and when I started breaking out on my chest and arms, I started using this. A tiny bit on a q-tip dabbed straight from the bottle (no diluting) directly onto the blemish and it will either be gone or completely reduced in size and redness by morning. The regimen that I finally came up with, which started the first true turnaround for my skin in 10 years (I've had acne since I was 9):

-Wash face with Original Noxzema. I rub it onto my dry face, let it sit until all the white is absorbed, and wash it off with warm water.

-apply tea tree oil directly onto blemishes.

-Apply a very neutral moisturizer (like cetaphil)

My skin is NOT sensitive, it can take a lot. I only recommend using it undiluted if you can say the same for yourself.This stuff is magic. The pretty glass bottle is a plus too.
(Note: I've used a bottle and a half so far, will probably keep buying for the rest of my life. It's also very good to apply to a popped pimple because of its antibacterial properties, and it will keep the infection from spreading.)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2012 6:00:00 PM More reviews by HoneyBlunts33

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Tea Tree oil is the only thing that has ever been a foolproof solution to my acne, even as a thirteen year old with raging hormones. All I need is a Q-Tip and clean face. Dab some on the zit and by morning it's gone, or at the very least, a lot less pissed off. I'll probably never use anything else as a spot treatment again.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/15/2012 1:40:00 PM More reviews by DoraZ

I've been using The Body Shop's Tea Tree Oil in my weekly facial treatments for over 4 years now but I like to use Trader Joe's Tea Tree oil by itself applied directly on a pimple or blemish over my nightly facial cream. The blemishes are usually gone by morning with only slight flakiness around the area which I can just exfoliate away. Yes, I wish this had a dropper or a smaller hole at the top and the scent can be extremely overpowering since it's so concentrated, but I just use a clean Q-tip since I apply so little and the heavy scent soon dissipates. The price is awesome for the amount you get.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/1/2012 6:21:00 AM More reviews by loveforsocks

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use this product mostly as an ingredient in home-made facial masks. Since it's concentrated you only need a few drops. It's great for fighting acne and oily skin. However, I find it really hard to dispense just a couple of drops. I wish it had some sort of spout or dropper instead of a wide mouth since you're not likely to just pour the whole thing out in one go.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2012 10:31:00 AM More reviews by BeeBonnet

I'm going natural.... and seeing for myself it is best. Recently started using tea tree oil for 2 things. First, to aid in healing occasional hormonal outbreaks, as well as Lupus "blisters" that nothing else worked on. THIS does. My only complaint is that the small glass TJ's bottle is a pain, it drips down the side if you try to pour it out the usual way. So, I insert a clean Q-tip and then dilute it with a little water, saline, or aloe vera gel to spot apply.

My other use for this is as a disinfectant after I wash my makeup brushes in baby shampoo. As a final rinse after they are clean of makeup residue, I dip them in a solution of water and tea tree oil. Looks like I've found a price wise staple I can not be without now.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/10/2012 10:13:00 PM More reviews by circusriddle

This is my first experience with tea tree oil, I've never used it before even as an additive in any other product.

First, I must say that this stuff really reeks. But the benefits outweigh that so its fine by me.

I decided to try this out for my breakouts. I used this after cleansing at night. I dampen a cotton pad with water and hold it over the opening of the bottle, and then briefly flip the bottle over once to distribute the product onto the pad. then I pat this all over my face, focusing particularly on the areas I am most susceptible to acne.

And I have to say, it worked out really well. I no longer break out as much, and the places I only occasionally get spots in hardly (if ever) break out at all. I do have a problem area around my chin that just won't seem to clear up, but that could be due to different factors. As far as I can tell this has been helping quite a bit with my overall acne.

It can sting and give a simultaneous burn and cooling sensation. Diluting with water should help bring this down.

My second use for this is for the chronic abscesses I get in one of my underarms from infections due to shaving. If you get infections then you need to try this out. I wash and apply this all over the infected area and the surrounding area as well. At night, I'll soak a cotton pad with tea tree oil and press it to the infected area for around 10 minutes. It has really, really helped with the problem.

I have to say that as for packaging quality, I love that it comes in a glass bottle. But I really wish there was some dropper mechanism as I find you can easily waste a lot of product when you really only need very little.

EDIT: I've bumped my rating down of this product because it just doesn't work for me. If it works for you, great, but it just plain irritates my skin.

I haven't used this on my face for a long time now. I think this stuff may work better when diluted in other products, but the oil itself is really powerful and very irritating to the skin. After a month of using it when I first got it, I had to stop. It didn't seem to be doing too much in the way of helping and in fact my face started getting red from irritation. I stopped using it on my face and occasionally I'd use it on my skin for infections, but again, my skin would just get really red and irritated and dry. It didn't help the infection, it just seemed to make it worse because not only was it infected, it was now red, dry, itchy and burning.

I've switched to using coconut oil on my body infections, and it was the best choice I've ever made. The stuff works miracles. I use it as deodorant and I've all but stopped getting infections completely.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2012 9:45:00 AM More reviews by Louise

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a natural product which has many uses. It is a pungent smelling oil from the Tea Tree, which I believe is found in Australia. It is an astringent. If you are experiencing hair loss possibly due to clogged pores, you can rub a few drops of the tea tree oil on to your scalp before washing your hair. It can help to clarify you scalp. A very interesting use is for, to put it bluntly-toe nail fungus. Don't ask me where I picked up this condition. It took me a while to notice it and when I went to the podiatrist, we discussed treatment. There is a pill which you can take. As with many medicines there are undesired effects other than the cure. I tried a topical ointment-nothing happened. I tried painting some type of money back guarantee oil on my toes-NADA. Upon visiting another podiatrist, he said there is really nothing to be done once that fungus gets into your nail bed. Oh, yes, and I forgot to mention the new-fangled laser treatment that a podiatrist had which is fairly successful but costly. It is $750 and your health insurance will not cover it. They say that toe fungus is only of cosmetic concern. I told her that perhaps since I only had two toes affected, she could charge me $75 per toe. She didn't like that joke too much. In the end, I went on line and read about Tea Tree Oil and bought some at the Trader Joe's. Every morning and night I rub some on my toes. Believe it or not, I am slowly watching the toes grow out and the bad stuff disappear. For the first time in several years, I can wear my sandals and not worry about keeping my feet covered. The price is right and I am glad about keeping it natural.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No