Oil Pulling

4.6

Using coconut oil for oil pulling made my teeth whiter and they even feel like I just had them cleaned at the dentist. The whitening effect isn't necessarily instantaneous, but after just a couple times I saw a difference. I've read of different health benefits of it, but I've only experienced: less plaque on the teeth, and a whitening effect on the teeth, which makes it pretty awesome!

Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool

I've been using organic unrefined raw coconut oil to oil pull for a month now. I use 1 tablespoon every morning and swish it for 20 minutes, spit it out, rinse my mouth with warm salty water, then brush as normal. If my jaw starts to ache it means I'm doing it too vigorously, I just use my tongue to push the oil around in my mouth and pull it through my teeth most of the time.

First off - the texture doesn't bother me. I just put the coconut oil in my mouth and chew it until it melts, then I start swishing it. After the first time, my teeth felt so clean, and my mouth felt really fresh. I've noticed that my breath is fresher, the clean mouth feeling lasts longer than mouthwash, my teeth got noticeably whiter in the first week (then stayed that way - so it's more a thorough cleaning, than a bleaching effect.) I had to blow my nose every time I OP'd in the beginning, but my headaches stopped, I sleep well, my craving for chocolate is reduced, I'm drinking a lot of water when I can't normally stomach plain water, my lips are softer and not chapping, my skin looks healthier and I haven't had a pimple in 3 weeks... the list goes on, and OP'ing is the only thing I have introduced to my routine. The only negative I've noticed is that when I spit it out I always gag - it feels like the oil is coating the back of my mouth and nose, if that makes sense.

On a side note - I think this cures hangovers :) I had a killer hangover on Sunday: couldn't eat, couldn't stomach the smell of my shampoo or soap, horrible headache, felt shaky all over and my eyes were bloodshot and watery. I normally don't drink because hangovers (for me) last a week, but after I did my oil pulling I felt fine. Every hangover symptom I had was gone, except the bloodshot eyes - and they cleared up within an hour.

Overall, I'm addicted to oil pulling - if I had the time I'd do it morning and night!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've only tried it 3x so far. Yesterday twice, today once. The first thing I noticed is that my teeth felt cleaner after brushing them. Very slight whitening as well. I used virgin coconut oil and did it 20 mins each pull. The taste and texture were ok. I will update later

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I tried this once with the Trader Joe's coconut oil for 20 minutes. I was incredibly skeptical after reading about it online, but I figured I had 20 minutes to spare and it couldn't hurt. I wasn't hoping for it to improve my overall well-being and remove toxins however the possible whitening effects sounded good. Unfortunately, I didn't notice any whitening effect and the experience while not gag-inducing was not particularly pleasant so I didn't repeat.

Overall, I tried it once and it didn't work for me. I'm not sure if doing it more regularly would have led to benefits but I'm not convinced enough to pursue this further.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Curly, Medium

I'd heard about oil pulling online for awhile, but it sounded kinda gross and since I have a pretty active gag reflex, I was dubious that I could do it. But the reviews here on MA made me take a second look: hey, it's not just the yoga crowd that does this! So, as I have sensitive teeth that I can't use whiteners on (other than toothpaste, which doesn't work so well) and have stains from long-term coffee and tea consumption (what can you do??), I thought that I would give it a whirl.

Not sure where I read this, but one suggestion was to premelt the coconut oil before putting it in your mouth. That sounded good, since just the thought of putting solid coconut oil in my mouth made me gag! So I put 1/2 Tbsp in a tiny jar and set it in hot water for a minute, it melts nicely and I just pop it in my mouth. I set a timer for 20 min and carry around a "spittoon" just in case the gagginess overcomes me. (You aren't supposed to spit this into the sink, it can clog it up.) I've managed to do this 9 days out of 13 days, only once (first day) I made it only to 18 minutes.

One of the pretty immediate results has been my mouth tasting less sour. I do the 5:2 diet, which involves two days a week of <500 calories; often on those days, my mouth can taste a little icky, this has helped.

The first couple of days, I couldn't wait to brush my teeth and get the oily feeling out of my mouth; now it doesn't bother me. Although one thing I've done that helps with any goopy after-feeling is a nice cup of hot strong mint tea afterwards! Oh, another tip: you won't be able to talk when it's in your mouth, don't bother answering the phone (I tried, and made weird grunting noises; fortunately, my son figured it out and didn't think I was dying!).

It hasn't been long enough for a real judgment of the result. My skin rash has improved, but it's too early to give oil pulling the credit. I have a dental checkup in May, will let y'all know if the dentist notices anything.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This is great! I started oil pulling on Thursday (it is now Sunday) and I have already seen some improvements! I am embarrassed to say but I have always had bad breath and no matter how vigorously I brush my teeth, the smell would stay and I would be so embarrassed to talk to anyone just in case they could smell my breath and I would always cough up these white balls (sorry guys - TMI - I know!). I started on Thursday night and thought this wouldn't work. I used organic, cold pressed, raw, unrefined coconut oil. I use about a tablespoon of it and I swish around my mouth for 20 minutes, afterwards; I brush my teeth with baking soda and floss like normal. I noticed afterwards immediately that I couldn't taste my breath (I can ALWAYS taste the bad smell of my breath, like always) and I was shocked. I do this once a day, I would love to do this twice a day but I don't think it can fit around my schedule! Definitely would recommend if you have bad breath! I would love it to get rid of my plague - also! Will keep you guys updated!

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I had tried oil pulling off and on during the past few years, and when I did, noticed my teeth to be whiter. Sometimes, I would get off the routine, though, and didn't think much of not doing it until I had a canker sore flare up on my gums today.

Used the organic coconut oil for about 5 minutes, and I was shocked! The pain was gone!
YMMV, but for me - it worked like magic!

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I have been oil pulling with extra virgin coconut oil for about 2 weeks now. I ran across the technique on line while looking for natural cures to rosacea and thought what the heck I'll give it a try. The first time I did it I could not believe the nasty stuff that came out of my mouth. So I continue 2 to 3 times a day for now. I do it first thing in the morning as soon as I wake up before I even take a drink of water then swish for about 20mins and spit in the trash can. Then swish with water just to get the residue out then brush my teeth. I can tell a difference in my teeth and gums already. My teeth are whiter my gums are pinker. A lot of the plaque is now gone and my breath is much fresher especially in the morning. As for my rosacea it looks a little better but it hasn't gone away yet. I have also noticed I sleep much better at night and awake feeling well rested and have more energy during the day which seems to be a common thread. I have also noticed my headaches are less frequent and my sinuses are clearer. It seems to be producing some good results so far so I am going to continue and see if there are any new developments.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I stumbled onto a blog post about oil pulling and thought it sounded crazy. The very idea is weird, and the idea that swishing oil around your mouth is supposed to yield such miraculous results struck me as suspicious. But my curiosity was piqued, so I gave it a go. I've never seen anything work such dramatic results so quickly. Overnight, my teeth were whiter. In a few days, the swollen gum that I could have sworn was early gingivitis was back to normal. And most impressively, I am sleeping really well and easily after years of relentless insomnia that no sleep hygiene technique or pill has been able to fix. I have a sleep tracker on my phone, and one of its features is to measure how much different variables impact my sleep. Many things (not eating late, smelling lavender, taking a bath, etc) have SOME effect on my sleep. But the app shows the strongest correlation between oil pulling and improved sleep.

I have no idea how it works or why, but it really does work. There is nothing in my life besides yoga that has made such striking changes in such a short time. So if you haven't given oil pulling a try, you really, really ought to.

I have been oil pulling for about a month. I am very surprised by the results, my blackheads seem to be disappearing and my skin is so beautiful, my pores are getting smaller. I have not changed anything in my regimen, same creams same soap, I just can't believe its from oil pulling but can't explain it otherwise. I also seem to have more energy during the day, I used to want to take naps after work before but now I don't any longer, I have energy until about 10, 11 pm. I don't have any health issues so I cannot vouch for anything else but my skin looking amazing and feeling more energetic, its impossible to accredit it to the placebo effect, blackheads don't care about placebo, something must be working :) I think everyone should try it for a month and see for themselves if they see benefits. I use unrefined sunflower oil, I might try the coconut oil also but this one works so well for me I might continue for a while.