October 20, 2014 | 1561 users online

Cleansers - Oil Pulling

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2014 4:32:00 PM More reviews by princesskoki

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I had tried oil pulling off and on during the past few years, and when I did, noticed my teeth to be whiter. Sometimes, I would get off the routine, though, and didn't think much of not doing it until I had a canker sore flare up on my gums today.

Used the organic coconut oil for about 5 minutes, and I was shocked! The pain was gone!
YMMV, but for me - it worked like magic!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2014 9:05:00 AM More reviews by Kris1130

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been oil pulling with extra virgin coconut oil for about 2 weeks now. I ran across the technique on line while looking for natural cures to rosacea and thought what the heck I'll give it a try. The first time I did it I could not believe the nasty stuff that came out of my mouth. So I continue 2 to 3 times a day for now. I do it first thing in the morning as soon as I wake up before I even take a drink of water then swish for about 20mins and spit in the trash can. Then swish with water just to get the residue out then brush my teeth. I can tell a difference in my teeth and gums already. My teeth are whiter my gums are pinker. A lot of the plaque is now gone and my breath is much fresher especially in the morning. As for my rosacea it looks a little better but it hasn't gone away yet. I have also noticed I sleep much better at night and awake feeling well rested and have more energy during the day which seems to be a common thread. I have also noticed my headaches are less frequent and my sinuses are clearer. It seems to be producing some good results so far so I am going to continue and see if there are any new developments.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2014 9:16:00 PM More reviews by hooplehead

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I stumbled onto a blog post about oil pulling and thought it sounded crazy. The very idea is weird, and the idea that swishing oil around your mouth is supposed to yield such miraculous results struck me as suspicious. But my curiosity was piqued, so I gave it a go. I've never seen anything work such dramatic results so quickly. Overnight, my teeth were whiter. In a few days, the swollen gum that I could have sworn was early gingivitis was back to normal. And most impressively, I am sleeping really well and easily after years of relentless insomnia that no sleep hygiene technique or pill has been able to fix. I have a sleep tracker on my phone, and one of its features is to measure how much different variables impact my sleep. Many things (not eating late, smelling lavender, taking a bath, etc) have SOME effect on my sleep. But the app shows the strongest correlation between oil pulling and improved sleep.

I have no idea how it works or why, but it really does work. There is nothing in my life besides yoga that has made such striking changes in such a short time. So if you haven't given oil pulling a try, you really, really ought to.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/2/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by LL333

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have been oil pulling for about a month. I am very surprised by the results, my blackheads seem to be disappearing and my skin is so beautiful, my pores are getting smaller. I have not changed anything in my regimen, same creams same soap, I just can't believe its from oil pulling but can't explain it otherwise. I also seem to have more energy during the day, I used to want to take naps after work before but now I don't any longer, I have energy until about 10, 11 pm. I don't have any health issues so I cannot vouch for anything else but my skin looking amazing and feeling more energetic, its impossible to accredit it to the placebo effect, blackheads don't care about placebo, something must be working :) I think everyone should try it for a month and see for themselves if they see benefits. I use unrefined sunflower oil, I might try the coconut oil also but this one works so well for me I might continue for a while.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 2:55:00 PM More reviews by pinknika

I have an event I need to attend in november so I want my teeth to be as white as possible. That's basically the main reason why I am doing oil pulling. That, and I have some red inflamed gums on the bottom back of my mouth. I was told I needed a deep cleaning from my dentist, which cost $400 (something my insurance won't cover) and that i would need to come back twice to do each quadrant separately. I was like um, no there has to be something I can do about this. So I have been faithful about 5 days now and I have noticed whiter teeth, not too much though, but subtlety and my redness in my gums are noticeably better. I can't wait to see what the long term benefits are. I have a lot of health problems, mainly superficial ones (dark circles, acne) which I would like to see go away. If they do great, if they don't no big deal, I'd just be happy with the white teeth and healthy gums! I will update my findings after I've been doing it for a while. I also purchased oregano oil, I heard that you can put a drop on your tooth brush and brush with it after or at night to help with bacteria and make your gums pink. I don't know if anyone has tried this but oregano oil burns like the dickens and the smallest drop is just way too potent. No word yet if oregano oil works, I think it helps remove the plaque on the teeth, as I started using it and my teeth don't get as fuzzy as fast. Anyways, I think everyone should try oil pulling, there is literally no risk unless you swallow which you should NOT do, and if you can't swish for 20 min, start small first, I literally cannot oil pull a tablespoon, no way, I only do like a teaspoon and a 1/2, start to pull for 5 min, work your way up to 20. I do this in the a.m before work, on an empty stomach while I put my lunch together and get dressed. Good Luck!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2013 9:06:00 AM More reviews by saxwhit

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

OIL PULLING - I am writing this review WHILE I am doing it! :)
Heard about this a month ago on an off-topic thread of an online bulletin board. I googled it and found lots of info to learn about this ancient remedy. I was skeptical at first, but willing to give it a shot. The past few years I have been plagued with a scalp issue that eventually was diagnosed as eczema. It has spread to several places on my body and itches terribly. Dermatologist prescribes topical creams, ointments and solutions, but improvement wears off when Rx runs out. Enter oil pulling. It is a very easy thing to try if you don't have a weak gag reflex. I do not so it was easier than I thought the first time I did it. 20 minutes sounded like a long time but it goes by quickly during your morning routine, you just can't talk while you doing it. Since I have been doing it (3.5 weeks) have noticed these benefits: my scalp does not itch any more AND is not as dry, the eczema patches on my face have cleared, my teeth feel stronger, my irregularity is gone, and BONUS I am eating less!! For years I have had the same morning routine - a cup of hazelnut coffee and a breakfast burrito, and I would panic if I did not have them available. Whenever I traveled, I always took my hazelnut cafe with me. After the first oil pull, I found I did not even want those things, and have not had them since. I did not even have a caffeine withdrawal headache like I have had in the past when I tried to kick the habit. This result was unexpected, but cemented my stance as an oil pulling devotee. For the record, I am using both sesame and sunflower oils (separately) cold-pressed, unrefined, bought from Vitamin Shoppe. Sometimes I do 2 oil pullings back-to-back when I have time. I am trying to convince the rest of family to try this. It's good for what ails you!!

10 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2013 7:17:00 AM More reviews by LilyJ

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Blue

I began to do Oil Pulling as I was using Coconut Oil for beauty purposes and kept seeing it mentioned. I wanted to whiten my teeth, but they were very sensitive and whitening products would make it worse. I did think it sounded bonkers and couldn't understand how oil could help teeth, but I gave it a go, and have done it every day since!

After a few days I noticed many changes, not just to my teeth. It is quite gross to begin with, but the effects are immediate and worth the time and effort. After just one session my mouth was healing.
The effects I have had so far:
Mouth- whiter stronger teeth, feel more solid in my mouth, less sensetive, gums are pink, receeding gumlines gone, no sores
Skin- acne and scarring cleared up, eczema healing, skin softer overall, dark circles have decreased by around 50%.
Wellbeing- more energy, less food cravings, feel more balanced, mood more stable, less joint pain, sleeping better, breathing much easier, nose and chest cleared, eyes are sparkling.

I have joint problems and have noticed I am much less achey since Oil Pulling and the increase in energy and wellbeing helps me deal with the chronic pain. So if you suffer with a joint condition it's worth giving this a go. As I can't take painkillers all the time but need pain relief, I looked for natural alternatives and turmeric and OPing seem to help. People have been noticing that I don't look so tired since I started OPing, and my eyes have a sparkle to them and I look more healthy. And I'm always getting comments on how nice my teeth look.

I am so happy to see others who have been helped with OPing, particularly with health issues!

I would also say that I haven't noticed much difference between using Coconut Oil and Cold Pressed Sunflower Oil. CPSO is the more economical oil to use, I would say.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2012 1:02:00 PM More reviews by thevnilly

I have weak enamel/soft teeth and because of this get cavities easily. In an effort to avoid more dental work to fill the new small cavities I've formed, I've been doing everything I can to remineralize/strengthen my teeth. Oil pulling has the capability to pull out toxins and bacteria and make your whole being better overall.

I have only pulled 3 days, but so far I swear my teeth are noticeably whiter and look generally healthier. I hope to keep this up at least 5 times/week (15-20 min. every day CAN be a little unrealistic). Yes, the oil is a little unsettling for the first 30 sec., but power through it!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2012 2:15:00 PM More reviews by NatanYah

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I've been oil-pulling for the last 2 years with cold pressed extra virgin organic coconut oil. My teeth are beautiful and white, my gums healthy and pink. The dentist always comments on how healthy my mouth is. You can read a little about my experiences oil pulling in the review for coconut oil. It is GREAT for your overall health. I first heard about oil-pulling through an online haircare site and then decided to do a little research myself before I got started. I rarely get sick and I also credit that to oil pulling therapy, raw garlic, and ACV. Anyway, highly recommend.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/17/2012 1:54:00 PM More reviews by amnahp12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am so surprised that oil pulling has been quite talked about or at least mentioned on MUA but there are no reviews. Hi, me to your rescue! I'll review, but you can find LOTS of oil pulling reviews related to health on places like earthclinic.com [which is all about natural remedies].

I can't remember where I first heard of oil pulling, but I think some people mentioned it in relation to healing acne, hemhorrhoids, etc. To date, the concept of 'oil pulling' still sounds like a load of phooey. But it's phooey that keeps working, despite my every intention of slamming it down into the 'myth busted' pile. Oil pulling is taking about a tablespoon of oil [preferably sesame or sunflower] and just swishing it around your mouth for about 15-20 minutes on a completely empty stomach. It gets filled up with a lot of saliva during that time, and it is SUPER strange to start with, but you get used to it very quickly, and it isn't unpleasant like it seems at first. I use organic untoasted unrefined sesame oil. I've been doing it almost every day for several weeks.

All I'll say - and this is WAY TMI - is that for anybody that is constipated, this suddenly and remarkably and comfortably will make you very, very regular. [I really hope no boys see this, I argue to the moon that girls don't poop. AND THEY DON'T.] My teeth seemed a little whiter after the first time I did this, but it stopped there.

The first time I did it my nose also became very runny, and this continued in lesser severity for a few days every time I oil pulled. Totally bizarre, but better out than in! My skin also seems less dry and seems to hydrate itself better, but that could be attributed to warmer weather and not drying my face out with, ironically, oils to moisturize. What else ...nails are growing in long and strong [flaking and chipping on my dominant hand only], but again, these could be delayed effects from my multivitamin [Country Life Maxi Hair].

My acne was getting MUCH better at first, but then I ate a whackload of chocolate [which I didn't know I was sensitive to] and suffered a huge breakout I'm still trying to fix up.

A lot of people report oil pulling fixing up all sorts of various things - diseases, joint/muscle/skin issues, teeth, etc etc etc. Best to take information with a grain of salt, but you can't argue with physical results, perceived or not. At the very least, it is a painless and almost effortless little habit to incorporate in your routine, and worth a try with an open mind.

21 out of 23 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No