April 20, 2014 | 926 users online

Makeup Brushes - Real Techniques by Samantha Chapman - Shading Brush

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 6:48:00 PM More reviews by pinktigerr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is one of my go-to brushes for packing eyeshadow onto the eyelid. It picks up a good amount of product and does not shed. It's slightly smaller than some of my other brushes so it can be very useful for more detailed work.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/19/2014 1:45:00 PM More reviews by prettypollyperkins

This is a small brush with dense but soft bristles that I use to blend my eye makeup so I don't get any harsh lines.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2014 8:53:00 PM More reviews by jtbeautyx3

At $5.99, this is a great buy! I have a small lid and I find that this packs on just the right amount of eyeshadow. I love that it's dense too so that you can really get the inner corners.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2014 1:28:00 PM More reviews by riotkitty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is the perfect outer-V brush. Its small and dense enough that I can easily pack eyeshadow in the outer-v, but the rounded shape keeps it from looking to harsh which was my problem with pencil brushes. Its also the perfect size and shape applying shadow to my lower lid.

Few words of warning: Make sure you take a good look at where the bristles are packed into the ferrule before you buy it. The first brush I got had loose bristles that fell out after washing it a couple times and I had to get another one. The second brush I bought didn't have this problem and I've washed it several times now.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/11/2014 1:34:00 PM More reviews by waters2

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I liked this brush when I first bought it. It's a good tool for applying shadow without fallout. However, I learned that it's not easy to tap away excess shadow or glitter from the brush, and it's too imprecise and dense for all but the most basic applications. I like it best for washes of bright color, since the brush doesn't pick up too much product, but prefer to use other brushes for that purpose. Blending is just OK with the shading brush. Overall, I think it's a nice tool for beginners and those who need just a wash or two of color. I no longer use it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/6/2014 11:36:00 PM More reviews by GirlyGirl143

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Really good brush for packing color onto the lid when you want intense color to be seen or for putting highlighter on the brow bone. If you have larger eyes you can use it for "outer V" defining, but I personally prefer the RT "accent brush" that comes in the starter for that.

It is really soft, doesn't shed (I have washed mine a lot) and you can't beat the price.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2013 9:14:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

Yeah so this is supposed to be a shading brush, right? I don't use it like that. Instead I use it to blend out concealer. It's a dream for that. It's small enough to fit right up under my lash line and into that wonderful "bag" area where it's the darkest.

I'd recommend this whether or not you're going to use it for shading. You'll find a way to use this.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 10:38:00 PM More reviews by angiegurl33

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

When I first saw this brush I was skeptical because I thought it looked ridiculously teeny. But once I started using it HOLY COW it is absolutely perfect. This is super soft - like all the brushes from the Real Techniques line - so it's very kind to the delicate skin in the eye area. It is actually a fantastic size for working a dark color into the outer corner and crease, or for highlighting the brow bone and inner corner, or for applying a bit of highlight to the center of the lid to finish off a look. It's so versatile! Definitely great for smaller eyes but just a wonderful brush in general. It also washes extremely well with no shedding whatsoever, again like all the RT brushes, and keeps its shape like a champ and all for a whopping price of $6 (or less if you catch one of their many sales). This may actually be the first brush in my collection that I buy multiples of.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/21/2013 12:48:00 AM More reviews by Jerena

I was so surprised by the performance of this brush. Its very soft, ideal for blending especially on the lower lash line. I can do all my eye makeup especially smokey eye with just this brush. I got 2 more so i don't have to wash it every day, love this brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2013 9:27:00 PM More reviews by TheDragonsVanity

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is perfect for basic shadow application. The size is great for getting product just on the lid or just in the crease or just wherever you want it. Its dense enough to pack on the color, but is fluffier than a lot of basic shadow brushes so it can also blend the shadow you put down without having to grab a separate blending brush- just wipe it off on a tissue or towel and blend away!

All Real Techniques brushes are very easy to clean and dry quickly. None of the Real Techniques brushes I have have ever shed on me, nor are any of them stained from continued use of colored products.

I have 2 downsides to Real Techniques brushes:

1) If you use alcohol or an alcohol-based cleaner to spot-clean clean your synthetic brushes, be sure to keep it away from the rubbery/soft coating on the black handle- it will melt the coating off. It doesn't ruin the brush, but you will be left with a black, shiny plastic handle with sharpish edges (this happened to my Expert Face Brush).

2) The aluminum ferrule will dent relatively easily compared to steel ferrules of other brushes. Do NOT knock the brush on the side of your sink to shake the excess water out after you've washed any of your Real Techniques brushes- it will dent the crap out of it. Don't ask me how I know. ~sigh~

Overall Real Techniques brushes are high quality, ultra-soft brushes at a great price point. I would recommend them to anyone.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No