October 25, 2014 | 1523 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - African Violet

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2014 10:22:00 AM More reviews by misanders

I wish there was a picture of this eyeshadow because it is gorgeous. I went into Sephora many times and this shadow was so unique. A purple with a gold duo chrome and gold superfine sparkle. I also love that I get very little, if any, fallout. That has never happened!
(Yes, I'm talking to you Urban Decay). The negative for me is that I cannot wear primers, so this shadow has no lasting power. I've tried powdering my eye lids- the shadow lasted 2 hours. Tried smudging a waterproof eyeliner under- that lasted 4 hours. There are many eyeshadows that stay all day without a primer (thank you Mac), so I probably won't buy anymore LM shadows.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 3:45:00 PM More reviews by ekym

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this online and was a little confused on the color description. Some called this “mid-tone violet” (and I had no idea what that meant) others called it “lavender.” When I finally saw it in person it does look “mid-tone violet” but “lavender” is inaccurate. African Violet is in no way the same as Pantone’s “African Violet.” If anything, this shadow is closer to Pantone’s Radiant Orchid, with a little more blue tone in it, but not darker. This shadow also has a lot of super-fine copper-gold shimmer.

When actually wearing this color it is very sheer, which was a disappointment at first. The violet disappears (my skin is fair-light with olive undertones), and my lids look beautifully (and naturally) warmed and contoured. The faintest hint of violet is detectable when I get very close, but it does make my brown eyes really pop, something I didn’t expect. So African Violet is very wearable and very beautiful, it might replace my bronze shadow and become my everyday color. Do not buy this is you’re going for lavender or violet lids, this shadow isn’t opaque and won’t layer to become opaque and look like the color in the pan.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 10:08:00 AM More reviews by jealouspony

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is quite possibly my favourite eyeshadow ever. I first tried it in the LM Artist Palette for Eyes from the Holiday 2013 collection where I fell in love with the shade. I was absolutely devastated when I hit pan on it (I hardly ever hit pan on anything) that I just had to get the single as well.

It is a gorgeous purple shade with loads of gold shimmer in it and is so beautiful to pair with another gold shadow (I like UD Half Baked). It's become a definite staple in my routine, as I keep reaching for it and neglecting other colours.

The staying power is excellent, as I feel all LM eyeshadows have and I get no creasing with my NARS eye primer. This particular shade is so buttery (almost too buttery), that it gets a little powdery, so I have to tap off my brush before applying it. That is not a problem for me though as I tend to do that anyway.

Really hope they never discontinue this! Such a beautiful and unique shade.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2013 1:11:00 AM More reviews by outdoorsgal

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is my first LM eye shadow purchase despite all of my years of loving makeup. For some reason, her eyeshadows never appealed to me. I bought this as a 'pick me up' treat at Sephora and the colour intrigued me. The violet tone with gold flecks is beautiful and it's definitely more wearable than NARS Strada. (I love that colour but it can be a challenge to pull off sometimes)

I find this shadow rather sheer on its own and it works best with a good base colour underneath, preferably a cream shadow to bring out the pigment and for longer staying power. I like wearing Bobbi Brown's bellini cream shadow as a base (although I use it lightly to avoid a really shimmery look; I'm in my mid 40's and don't want to accentuate the fine lines) For a smokey eye look, I'll pair it with CD's Velvet eyeshadow.

I'm taking off one lippie because of the 'glimmer' which may not be flattering on everyone and the sheer pigment. For this kind of money, I want longer staying power.

But a unique colour with a soft texture that's worth considering.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2013 10:55:00 PM More reviews by clarabeau

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This color is so beautiful. I am not really an eyeshadow person at all (I usually don't find it flattering on me and it takes work to blend, etc., although I'm mostly just inexperienced with it) but this one is a dream to wear and probably my favorite that I've ever tried. I have pale, NC10ish skin and dark eyes with brown, gold, and dark green flecks, and this shadow flatters them so well. I do agree with a previous reviewer that this shadow would especially flatter brown and green eyes, although I think anyone should try it, it's just lovely. The quality of the shadow is good and lasts pretty well on me, whether I apply it dry or wet. I prefer applying it wet on my upper lid and pressing it into the lid, allowing the shimmer to show on the middle of my eyelid. I'm actually pretty sloppy with it, I put it all over the lid, including the crease, and line my undereyes with it too (dry underneath my eyes so it's softer). Somehow, it really opens up my eyes, and it looks smokey but very soft at the same time.

The color itself is a medium lilac-y purple, with some copper and gold shimmers and to me, it has warm undertones. I really had a hard time with purple eyeshadow until I found this. I feel like my current pan will last a very long time but if anything ever happened to it I would surely buy another!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/27/2013 4:43:00 AM More reviews by Melhir

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Duochrome colour with purple and gold. It's perfect colour but it does not stay long even if with base.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2013 10:30:00 PM More reviews by DiamondTiaras

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm really surprised that there are so few reviews for this shade! African Violet is one of the classics from the Laura Mercier line, almost up there with her tinted moisturizers and Secret Camoflauge. This is a stunningly unique shade - the most similar eyeshadow I own is a color in the Chanel Vanites quad, but they really aren't dupes at all - with a gorgeous, reflective quality that changes in the light. Killer Colours has an awesome gif that she posted on her website that shows off how stunningly African Violet reflects copper, gold, deep purple, and even lilac depending on the angle from which you view it. (Not affiliated!) It's definitely a grown-up duochrome;I feel comfortable wearing this just on the lid with lots of mascara for a sophisticated work look that's a no-brainer to apply. And of course, this looks fantastic in a smokey eye! It plays well with other purples, naturally, but it also pairs well with browns and golds and taupes. The quality of this shade is excellent: buttery, pigmented, easily blended, etc. thanks to African Violet, I have a new appreciation for the Laura Mercier eyeshadow range and look forward to purchasing more.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/10/2013 5:51:00 PM More reviews by BimboBarbie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

When I was diagnosed allergic to formaldehyde releasers, blue dye, and cobalt in early 2011 I was given a very limited list of make-up products free of my allergens. I bought several hundred dollars of Laura Mercier make-up over 2011 including this shadow. I loved it because it was purple shadow and one of my only options, it does blend beautifully but it doesn't seem to stay on all day even with primer. I wanted to love this, I still have it and opened the compact recently to see the colour had faded in the year since I purchased it. I won't be buying it again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2012 2:12:00 PM More reviews by Menolikepolos

NW10-15 (neutral-cool toned, very fair), blue eyes, Color season is True Summer, Baumann Skin Type is OSPW.

I see all the positive reviews are for brown eyes. I wonder if this shade just doesn't work for blue eyes. It IS beautiful. However, everytime I do a FOTD with this on, people say I look tired, and I have to agree, my eyes take on a red color. Not flattering. The quality of this shadow is lovely, it is very blendable, so I don't want to rate it too low.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2012 10:12:00 PM More reviews by Russianlass

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

African Violet is a really pretty lavender shadow with a light golden sheen. I have brown eyes with some hazel flecks and this shadow makes my eyes look like a hazel green. The shadow can look surprisingly natural and just brightens the whole face. I would definitely purchase again.