November 23, 2014 | 2180 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme in R3 Light Intense Auburn

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/26/2014 2:28:00 PM More reviews by stream27

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've dyed my naturally medium-blond hair for years, doing everything from red to brown to purple to blue. Red is one of my go to colours because it looks great on my skin tone and my hair tends to hold onto red and purple dyes the best.

I really enjoy this colour. I get an even colouring that doesn't look flat, which is always appreciated. I don't have trouble with it fading quickly, and I find myself re-dying, not because the colour needs it, but because my roots go in and are painfully obvious because of the colour difference.

The smell of this is much less harsh than other permanent colours, which I appreciate, especially because I have long hair (bum length) and usually need to spend about 30 minutes putting the dye in, so the less fumes, the better. I also find I get a good amount of product in each package. With other brands I've used, I've needed to use 3 full boxes to get complete coverage, and with this, I can get away with 2 and still have a little left over.

The only complaint I have about this colour is that it runs for a long time after dying. Showering every other day, it took about 2 weeks of washings (7-8) before the water in my shower stoped running pink (not pale pink either. Very noticeable.) For the first 3-4 washings, it would also stain my towel, so I'd advise either using old towels you don't mind ruining, or dark ones that won't show the staining. The first couple nights, it also left a slight red tinge on my pillow case. I keep one I use for freshly dyed hair, so this isn't a problem for me, but just beware.

Overall, the results I get are, to me, worth the hassle of the first few days after dying, but it's something to consider, as I've not had these issues with reds in other brands, but the results haven't been as good either.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2014 2:01:00 PM More reviews by MollieS

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Used this for several months and while I constantly used treatments and masks on my hair, it still damaged my hair a lot. Also, the color was never intense enough. The color stains EVERYTHING and I have never had that issue before with any other color and I've been in the red spectrum since I was 12. Fades very fast, even with minimal washing and styling. Cannot say I recommend.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2014 2:19:00 AM More reviews by Lauraasti

This was my first choice when I decided to go redhead and is my go-to red haircolor if I can't make it to Sally's and get my usual ion color. I've been coloring my hair for over 10 years and Garnier Nutrisse has always given me great results without frying my hair even a little bit. My hair is naturally a dark ash brown and I was really excited to find a vibrant red made specifically for dark hair. However, I wouldn't suggest using this if you have previously dyed your hair black, even this stuff isn't strong enough to penetrate that (though it could have been because I'd colored my hair black for 11 years and the pigment was so built up in my hair). The color itself is great, so vibrant and gorgeous! Auburn enough to get away with it in a professional setting, but red enough to give you a good edge. I do have a bit of a problem with brighter color on the top half of my head with this stuff, but since it's stronger than normal hair dye, I can't say I'm surprised. I don't think it would work out well on light hair though. The developer/lightener/I'm not a hairstylist so I'm not really sure might fry it since it doesn't need as much oomph to get good results as this stuff gives. It conditions my hair every time I use it, which I like, and my hair always feels great after. I do have a streak of hair that was formerly bleached and this turned it an obnoxious orange color, which didn't go well with the nice color all over the rest of my hair. While my ends are a bit darker than the rest (probably some remnants of my old black color), so I use a different red on that section of hair (ion color brilliance in medium intense red works nicely). I usually leave it on a few minutes longer than the box says so the color can really grab. The color is mostly a blue-red hue, but there's just enough copper in it to make it look "spicy," which I really like. I look better with blue-reds, but this color looks great on me (pale with cool/neutral undertones.)
I wash my hair 2-3x a week in cold water and with a color-protecting shampoo, usually AG or Pureology, with very little fade. Usually around the 2 week mark, I use a color-depositing conditioner (quantum riveting reds from Sally's) to give it a little boost if it's looking dull, but that's not always the case. I usually have color-bleed in the shower for about 3 weeks and then it dissipates-don't use a nice towel for your hair during this time. I re-color around 4 weeks because of my regrowth, but the color itself still looks great! It's not crazy expensive, but I still stock up when I see it on sale because sometimes I like to use it over my professional dye, just to add a little bit more copper tones back into my red when it starts to look too purple from the other color I use. So happy that us darker-haired girls can still get vibrant red now! I recommend!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2013 2:38:00 PM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Colored my hair yesterday with R1, I was using "Roasted Coffee" that I liked a lot but turned too orange and brassy and it was time to recolor, I also didn't want to use 30V developer that comes with the other kit, so I did a lot of research because I wanted to try a red color and picked up this. The color comes out exactly like the girl on the box, that never happens, I'm not used to such bright color, can't imagine how it looks outside! It takes all the yellow/olive cast out of my NC20 skin and makes me look quite healthy and pink. The color upon application is a mess, flies everywhere and stains everything, the smell is the same as other Nutrisse dyes but times a thousand, I actually got a headache all night from the smell, the water in the wash was running pink until I gave up, hair is soft and super shiny, I am a bit concerned that most people say that this color doesn't wash out, I don't know if I can rock this bright color, will come back and update.
UPDATE: seven washes later and the color is almost gone, I have been using special shampoo, co-washing, dry shampoo and still the color washed out, I guess next coloring I have to do a full application.
Sept 18: had to recolor with Nutrisse Sangria, the R1 was pretty faded and going towards the orangy-coppery side of auburn which looks pretty bad on my cool toned ppp skin. R1 made my roots too primary red, will try R2 next.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2013 5:08:00 PM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

I have tried Revlon's and Loreal's (Feria and Preference) drugstore dyes to TRY to achieve the light auburn hair I have always wanted (without paying the super high costs of a hair dresser) and the payoff was so dissapointing I was not expecting much when I finally bought this product. My hair always ended up almost black and the reddish tint was just gone by the second time I washed it.
NOT with this product! While applying I noticed my very dark roots lighten up to a soft red! All my hair reminds me of red wine! Or like reviews below said, of red velvet cakes! It's a gorgeous, burgundy reddish color that's subtle in normal lighting and fiery under the sunlight!
It runs when washing every time, but c'mon, you'd expect that with every red dye! The molecules of red color are so big they do not penetrate the porous surface of the hair very well, making it the most difficult color to maintain. Ask a hair dresser! Even so, this dye has lasted me pretty well and it looks brighter after every wash. Still wine, still red and beautiful! I recommend it!
****** UPDATE ******* 09/11/13
I dyed my hair with this product at the end of June, its September and have not dyed it again due to lack of time and non existent roots. I wash my hair three times a week, and guess what?.... Its still RED! Not as vibrantly red as a couple of months ago obviously, but it still looks red, even brighter than before. This has surprised me because no red dye ever had attached to my thick black hair so well. Amazing. Will use this forever! Foreveeeer! Hope it doesn't get discontinued.
****** UPDATE ******* 09/30/13
I used it again all over my hair three weeks ago. This second time, it grabbed on to my hair a lot better than the first time, which means it will last a lot longer. I really love this hair dye.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2013 5:44:00 PM More reviews by MissLerina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Pros

- beautiful color
- not too harsh
- staining easily removed
- lasts

Cons

- bleeds for a few days
- smell of dye lingers in hair

Comments: LOVE this color. I agree with the comment down below and this reminds me of red velvet cake. It's gorgeous! And very bright in direct sunlight. My hair is naturally a dark brown.

I apply this using a tint brush for a more precise application and less mess. I was easily able to clean up any mess and it didn't stain my skin (I had a lot on my ears and it easily rinsed off). Didn't even stain my tub, either. Again, easily rinsed off with just water.

It will bleed in the shower even after shampooing. After 5 days it stopped. Hair must be dry before laying down as it will stain (again, I was able to easily wash my white pillows and towels with no stain left). Again, after a few days this was no longer an issue for me. I didn't notice any damage after using - my hair went back to its usual self with no dryness. Waves reverted.

My hair smelled of dye for a few days, which is odd. As for the color, it lasts a good month before I need to dye it again and that's with washing on a daily basis. Ion's Color Defense Sulfate-Free Shampoo works wonders in keeping the color.

Will repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2013 12:37:00 PM More reviews by orenjinominh

YES! A million singing and dancing red velvet cupcakes parading on my hair!

My hubby loves red hair on women, a true red that is not orange/gingery or auburn/brown. However, I've had no luck in the past with finding a dye that would be natural yet vibrant. I tried going to a salon and asking for red, but the stylist completely denied me. Not sure why...so I decided to take matters into my own hands. I've been dyeing my hair since I was 13, so I have no issue with doing it myself. I had just been going to the salon because I had some blonde highlights put in. After my obsession with blonde was over, I had a brown wash over my hair that faded into this blah light brown.

Enter this dye. Now, there is a way to maintain this color without going crazy or broke. I covered everything in the bathroom, slathered two whole bottles onto my head (my hair is to the middle of my back and coarse as hell), and then sat there for an hour smelling like ammonia death. Make sure to do your roots last, but since my roots and bottom layers are almost black, I applied it at the same time. But, the trick is to rinse is out only until the water runs less pink, slather it in the conditioner provided for 20 minutes, and then rinse it again. ALL with cold cold cold arctic ice water. Do NOT think about lukewarm. I use a dark red towel to dry my hair and it won't stain as long as your hair is dry when it touches your pillowcase. I left it in for another 48 hours and then rinsed again, this time with shampoo applied only to the scalp. Every time I shampoo (2x a week, very brief contact with water) I add a little SFX Blood Red to keep it vibrant. I have quit blow drying my hair and dry shampoo every day that I don't wash.

The color hasn't faded. It's so gorgeous with my warm complexion since it isn't a true Ronald McDonald ratchet red unless I go into the sun or stand under direct lighting. It is NOT subtle, but believable. I am an NC30 right now and when I was an NC25 it was absolutely flattering. I will be a redhead for a long time coming...Men stare me down and women attack me to ask for my secret!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/19/2012 12:24:00 AM More reviews by PunkRockGrrl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

LOVE this colour and just bought a whole case of it on eBay since it's hard to find in stores! I've tried so many hair colours to try to find a nice BRIGHT red that lasts and others failed miserably. They either only look red in bright light or faded to an ugly orange. This colour starts off bright, stays bright and my hair feels even more healthier than from before I coloured it.

I get SOOO many people complimenting me on my hair colour which is probably why I can't find it - I'm turning too many other women in my area on to this great product!

Another cool thing about this haircolour - it will work for darker hair as well as light. My hair is a medium brown and I've heard it will even work on black hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2012 1:45:00 PM More reviews by jfkdjfk

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

uh, yes! I've been dyeing my hair brownish red for almost a year now, and this one is my favorite. I wandered around, looking for a dye that will actually color my thick, BLACK hair and won't fade in 2 weeks. Other dyes colored my hair a dark burgundy that lasted a week, faded to a brownish red for 2 days, then stayed a chocolate brown. No thanks. I discovered the Garnier Nutrisse dyes a few months back on youtube and I thought, I'm getting that; NOW. This was when I had the chocolate brown hair that I disliked. I left this on for a little over an hour, way over how much they suggested I should leave it on. (Whenever I leave it on for 25 min, I get nothing.) I put the dye in, put it in a loose bun on top of my head, and wrapped it in plastic wrap to let it develop. Weird, I know. But it works! The last 5 minutes, I blow dried the whole concoction with hot air. When I rinsed it out and dried it, I was disappointed. It was dark red. So, I thought it was like all the other dyes. Well boy was I wrong. This dye gets brighter as time goes on. It is gorgeous. It's a pretty medium red inside, but bright red in the sun. I've gotten so many compliments. If you're considering this dye, I reccomnend that you dye your hair while it's sunny. GORGEOUS!
I took one lippie off because it bleeds every time I wash my hair. Careful if you want to wear a light shirt right after you shower. The dye will get on it. No biggie, it washes off. But if you have to go out with wet hair and light clothing, BE CAREFUL!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/18/2012 9:39:00 PM More reviews by glitterfacedranda

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This was a pretty decent hair color.It was very bright at first,but like all reds,just didn't last long.It was very bright red for about a week.When I mixed it in the bottle,it was a peach color.I've dyed my hair various shades of red,and I'd never seen a dye turn that color!!When I rinsed,the water looked like Orange Crush soda.I thought I'd include these details so people that read this won't freak when they use it haha!When it dried,I was really surprised by how bright it was.If I stood by a window,my hair looked like I had used one of Manic Panic's reds.Before I used this,my hair was a reddish medium/darkish brown.It had some pieces of black left from last year haha!It's two months later and the black is still there,but black never comes out so that's no biggy.Normally when I would dye my hair red,it would turn orange when it would fade.This one turned pink.It didn't look like I had done it on purpose,but there was a definite hot pink hue.This dye was a bit stronger than most I've used,but not so much so that it ruined my hair.I guess it has to be a little stronger so it will take on dark hair.I marked "No" on "Would you buy this product again" because I don't plan on dyeing my hair red anymore(tired of the upkeep and winding up with pink or orange hair after three weeks).But if you have hair that hasn't been colored much and are willing to put the time and effort that red hair requires,I would say this would be an ok one.