October 22, 2014 | 2056 users online

Sunscreen - Banana Boat - Natural Reflect Kids tear free SPF 50+ broad spectrum

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2014 4:06:00 PM More reviews by Whynot15

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

The significant white cast that this left made it unwearable for me. It is very thick and hard to rub in.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/19/2014 10:03:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

As I am switching to using mineral sunscreens only, I purchased a few different sunscreens to try out. Of them all, this was my least favorite I found this really thick lotion difficult to rub in and it has a weird odor that annoys me. For a sunscreen in the spf 50 range, I like Cerave broad spectrum spf 50 much better as it glides on the skin and contains ceramides, and does not have an offensive odor. My two favorites of the sunscreens I purchased was the Derma E Antioxidant suncreen spf 30 and Goddess Gardens spf 30.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2014 9:48:00 PM More reviews by tobybear

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have rosacea and break out easily, so I when I saw "tear-free, sting-fee" I admit I fell for the packaging and purchased this product. That said, I'm glad I did, because I really like it. Yes, it's a little on the white side, but so am I so that doesn't bother me at all. And as another reviewer pointed out, it works just fine around the eye area. YMMV, of course.

It doesn't seem any more difficult to apply than other sunscreens I've tried. This sunscreen works just fine under my Everyday Minerals foundation, too. I can happily report that this works awesome for me- no burns and no irritation. It's a pain to remove, though. But really, aren't they all??

EDIT 7/10/14- I'm still using this sunscreen and I still love it! I've recently switched to liquid foundation and BB cream, and this product works well under both. I personally believe that something in here is soothing my skin as well, as my skin doesn't seem as red on a day to day basis. In the mornings before I put on any products at all, my skin seems calmer and more even toned. Perhaps it's the consistent use of this sunscreen, as it has all that lovely zinc in it?? Hmmm. Oh and I guess I should add that I don't use this anywhere except my face and neck. It isn't difficult to apply in such a small area, but it would be frustrating to try and rub this all over my body. I just use another sunscreen for that.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/6/2013 4:19:00 PM More reviews by betteefelon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

A lot of sunscreens give me rashes, so I'm trying this out. It is a physical sunscreen with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, which should provide good UVA and UVB protection (zinc is better than titanium at blocking UVA). It is thick and takes a while to rub in to minimize the whitish cast it leaves on the skin, but I don't feel like it left me looking ghostly or anything. I'm light-to-medium in skin tone -- usually light but tending more toward medium in the summer if ever I am lax on sunscreen. At first it feels kinda heavy but after wearing for a while it soaks in and I don't notice it much at all. Anyway, I like that this is works immediately, because it's a physical block (no waiting for chemicals to become active in the skin). It'll be great from days when I want to quickly rub something onto my arms and neck before walking the dog, who understandably doesn't like to wait in the morning for a chemical sunscreen to start working! Someone said they use this around their eyes, and that makes sense to me, but I don't think I'd use it as a general facial sunscreen -- too heavy and seems like it might break me out. As a general body sunscreen, so far, so good. I'll update if my opinion changes.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/10/2012 7:52:00 PM More reviews by bleustarfish

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I just tried this out today and was only in the sun for about an hour and a half, so, admittedly, I didn't give it the world's best test run. That said, I didn't burn at all. Granted, I don't usually burn.

Anyhoo, my big complaints about this ss is that it's SUPER thick and takes FOREVER to rub into your skin. I found I had to use more sunscreen than I usually do simply because this stuff does not spread easily. That said, it's probably a good thing that I used more than I usually do since most people don't use enough. Despite rubbing and rubbing and rubbing, I was still left with a whitish cast on drier areas of my body like my knees. I thought I'd rubbed it in completely when I was inside, but outside in the sunlight I could see I had a weird white cast all over my body.

I can't imagine this ss would be good for kids. From what I've seen on the beach and from what I remember from being a kid, kids generally don't like to stand around for a long time while someone rubs ss onto their bodies. Kids are wiggly and just want to start playing. This stuff takes forever to rub into your skin, thus it would not be good for kids.

The good part about this ss is that it doesn't feel too greasy. I can see this being a good daily facial ss for women who want a physical ss -- but only pale women. I'm East Asian with light to medium skin (I'm definitely not super pale like some of my fellow Asian sisters) and this stuff leaves too much of a white cast for me to use on my face on a daily basis.

All-in-all: It's not a bad ss, but unless you want to spend about fifteen minutes rubbing it into your body every single time you wear a bathing suit, this probably isn't the ss for you. If you are a person of color or just a person with light/medium to dark skin color, this is not the ss for you. I'm going to use up my tube, but I won't be buying this again. Sad because I was excited for a new, all physical, drugstore sunblock.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2012 7:40:00 PM More reviews by coveandgrove

Still in the early stages, but so far so good! I can use this around eyes, no problem..It does feel a little thick at first, but then absorbs quite nicely. I use on face and body- I'm outside a lot, and no burning or redness. Yay! I have to use chemical free sunscreen or I will break out like crazy, and so far this is being good to me. It is both Zinc and Titanium. Good coverage:)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/12/2012 11:25:00 AM More reviews by loveoutdoors

I waited to review this until I had used it for over a month. Purchased this on vacation as I needed a good ss as I was kayaking and the sun was intense. I really like this ss, it doesn't bother my Rosacea on face or eyes, it calms and actually soothes my skin, and it provides very good protection for me. It is thick and does go on white, however after about 20 minutes I can put tinted moisture over it and it looks descent. I didn't get any color on my face while kayaking which speaks volumes, a bit on chest and shoulders but I believe had I reapplied I probably wouldn't have gotten any color at all. I like this much better than the Avene, Loreal UV Perfect or Neutrogena helioplex, especially on days I expect to be in the sun, and because I have zero irritation from it. It's paraben & PABA free and very water resistant. Overall very pleased. For reference my skin is mature, dry, mild Rosacea (facial and ocular), not prone to breakouts.