August 2, 2014 | 1609 users online

Moisturizers - Boots - Aqua Balance Mattifying Moisturiser

rated 2.0(1 review)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/11/2012 7:59:00 AM More reviews by Caty_23

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I purchased this moisturiser on a whim as my usual moisturiser was sold out (Botanics Pore Perfecting Day Cream), and the information on the packaging sounded like it would be perfect for my oily/combination skin, as it claims to "moisturise and reduce imperfections without causing greasiness". The active ingredient is a sea mineral called Spiraea Ulmaria, which apparently reduces sebum and tightens pores.

The first time I used this was on a morning, and I had planned to wear foundation over the top of it as I usually do. The cream (which is contained in a squeezable tube) is quite thick and very white, with initially quite a strong fragrance (a sort of generic sea minerals/"ocean breeze" type scent), although this does fade pretty quickly. The cream took quite a while to massage into my face due to the thickness and colour, and I found as I was doing so it was balling up really badly. I kept going until it was absorbed as much as it was ever going to be, but in the end I had to cleanse my face and start again with an old moisturiser, as I had little white "balls" of the product all over my face, and there was no way my make-up would ever blend in.

Since then, I have been using this product up on a night, and the balling up seems to be getting better the closer I come to finishing the tube, so perhaps it was initially due to some kind of settling of the ingredients (though the product is so thick you couldn't really shake it up to re-combine everything). Anyway, when I apply this product it does leave my face fairly shiny, although not tacky or greasy in any way (but not mattified either). It has never caused me to break out.

That being said, I would never re-purchase due to the balling up I experienced with it at first, and also, it does not contain any SPF. (I have added the list of ingredients to the box above)