New York Color Smooth Skin Perfecting Primer

2.8

Price: $

Price: $

on 5/16/2015 10:28:00 AM

This primer is horrible. It has a ton of glitter in it and in natural light it may not be noticeable, however, in artificial light it makes me look ridiculous and foundation does not cover the glitter. This primer also broke me out and overall I didn't notice a difference in the wear of my face products.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I tried this primer in April & have used it off & on since. I love its powdery scent, the $3 price, & the chic black & white tube.I have mostly oily skin & this time of year is making it worse. I already love the Hard Candy Sheer Envy Matte primer (sky blue tube) but wanted something that could serve as a back-up or for weekends. Anyway, it has a shimmer in the white gel/cream that doesn't read as glitter or oil on my skin. It feels so light & is easily mixed w/my Rimmel BB Cream (Original formula) for lighter coverage. I can layer it under the Rimmel BB, too. It helps my pores look pretty small. My pores on my upper cheeks tend to stand out to me & this helps. I've tried it under Rimmel's Stay Matte mousse foundation & it doesn't harm the matte finish. It gives an airbrushed look to it that stays in place until maybe 5pm if applied @ around 9am, so yay! I don't notice a reduction in my forehead lines but it controls my oil so well, I'm ok w/that. It claims to even skin's tone but I'm not relying on my primer to handle that. It absorbs fast, too! It goes well under my Cover Girl Clean Normal Skin foundation & helps extend its wear. I can go a couple more hours w/it than w/out it. We have recently hit mid-80's w/humidity here, so it's gotten a good trial thus far. I apply my Rimmel Stay Matte powder on top of all my foundations & I'm good to go. The place it failed me was under my eyes. It made the Maybelline Super Stay look really odd but that's an issue I've had w/the Hard Candy primer, too. But that concealer stays on really well w/no primer & I just wanted to see what happened w/it. It's nice to have another great New York Color product to use!

on 4/19/2015 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

For the price this is not a bad primer, if you ignore the claims of minimizing pores and lines because it doesn't do that. This is good for giving your skin a smoother base for foundation and it does make my make-up look fresher a bit longer true out the day. This does contain shimmer but on my dry skin it only gives a glow and it doesn't look glittery. Now the thing is I'm around NC30 and I do feel that this makes me a little paler, this primer goes on clear(ish) but it's white and if it came in more colors it would suit my skintone better. I would recommend it if you don't expect too much from a primer, you only need a smooth base and you like dewy skin. I could even see this being used as a highlighter on top!

on 3/29/2015 9:28:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I picked up this primer because I couldn't get my hands on the Hard Candy primer I was using, that I absolutely love. When I tried it out the first time I was a little confused. For one it is VERY liquidy. I tried shaking it to see if maybe that would mix the product, nope. The colour of it was very off putting as well. I can see where people say it looks glittery, the primer itself definitely looks shiny. However I didn't find it made my face look greasy or like a "disco ball" it feels very odd on the face though. Actually, I didn't find that it did anything, at all. That's the problem. I wasn't expecting a whole lot for the price, and they definitely didn't disappoint. I don't find it fills in my pores, controls shine, or makes my makeup last any longer. It's just kind of there. I'm not too irritated I bought it since it was only about $5 but I'll be in the market for a different primer.

on 1/29/2015 3:31:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I love this primer. It creates a slightly attractive sheen on my face & makes me look radiant. I wear this under my everyday foundation & it sure creates a flattering result. The minor glitter effect in the formula creates a very youthful appearance & it has an a moisturizing texture. Not too thick also. I would still recommend women to wear facial lotion on their face (if need be) prior to applying this product. I wear this shade in "684".

on 11/12/2014 12:43:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Although this product is cheap it's not worth any money. i was expecting fairly good things from this product as NYC have good products considering the price. it has little bits of glitter that are supposed to give you a dewy effect but it makes you look like a glitter ball or a vampire of twilight. its a primer which means it should make your foundation last longer however instead it makes foundation slide of my face and within the next hour all my make-up has dissapeared off my face. I keep trying to give this product a go but every time I do it lets me down!

I'm not sure where all these negative reviews ate coming from, because I really like this product. I use it along with a moisturizer under my foundation, and my makeup lasts all day! It has tiny white sparkles in it, which you can't really see once blended into the skin, but they give my face such a nice luminous glow. This stuff is really great! Better than my Hard Candy primer I had been using!

on 10/18/2014 11:41:00 PM

I actually love this stuff to death. I have normal skin, with some slight oil on the chin and nose.

This makes my face look gorgeous under my foundation! I was a bit put off by the sparkles at first but just give the tube a good shake before you apply and it goes on just fine.I do get a good glob out of the tube when I squeeze but I like to make sure my whole face is covered and well down my neck as well. With the foundation over top it really gives your face a "lit from within" glow which for me works. I have not broke out at all from this product which in itself is a huge selling point and will most definitely buy this again when I run out. Hell, for 6 bucks a tube Ill buy seven or eight of them!

It feels really moisturizing and makes my face feel so smooth.

All in all I LOVE THIS STUFF!

on 9/22/2014 10:31:00 PM

Ok this is the worst primer ever, as it does not help my make up stay fixed or last longer. Made my skin more oiler then it already was. My makeup looked and stayed on better without the primer. I highley recommend you don't buy it.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Coarse

Ok, I have so many reviews I swear I did but obviously not. This is one of those products I really feel I should review since it has so many mixed results. Its either you love it or hate it. I personally have really enjoyed it but this is def a product that may not work well for some skin types. This is why I love it....
~~~~~ PRICE & AVAILABILITY ~~~~~
N.Y.C. Smooth Skin Perfecting Primer is available in most drugstores like Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreen's as well as mass discount stores like Walmart & Target. Availability & price will vary depending on your location as well as sales, discounts, coupons, etc. NYC Cosmetics are a very cheap & affordable brand. This primer is generally priced around $4-5., I purchased mine at Walmart for $4 which is awesome for face primer. Its cheaper than most and will last awhile so its def fairly priced for the product. I do not see NYC coupons in the local papers so try drugstore sales/coupons to get a better deal.
~~~~ SHADE & FORMULA & PERFORMANCE ~~~~
N.Y.C. Smooth Skin Perfecting Primer only comes in one shade which is 886. This claims to "NYC Colorís Primer instantly transforms even the most city-weary complexions, reviving dull looking skin and boosting radiance. Think of this so-called lingerie for your skin as unmentionables definitely worth mentioning! Itís the ultimate accessory for your skin thatís perfect for all skin types." More info is on their website. I had heard about this a long time ago from Pinkiecharm on YouTube & she always has high end expensive products & plus she has similar dry skin like myself & she said she really liked it. When I initially swatched it in the store, i looked & seen sparkles. So I passed but eventually I picked it up & decided to try it anyway. The formula is a thinner lotion with an iridescent finish. There is some sparkle to it which threw me off a bit but I find it works just fine if you make sure to shake it up well. The formula is great for those like myself w/ dry & dull skin. It almost feels moisturizing or less drying like some primers. It has somewhat of a very slight almost undetectable purple sheen to it which I love since it brightens my skin. I like to put on a silicone based primer than on highlighting/high points on my face like cheekbones, nose bridge, chin, forehead then apply my liquid/cream foundation. I find this works really well as bringing life to dull skin & smooths over any drier areas I have w/out emphasizing spots. I like the way it looks under foundation but I have also used it on top to highlight areas in a pinch & it works well for that too. I do not notice my foundation fading or creasing in areas that I applied it. I do not think its going to help w/ wear time but it does do as it claims which is "
Lines appear minimized
Imperfections, dark circles and enlarged pores are masked
With vitamin E which helps to protect against potential free radical damage
Enhances your skinís smoothness and moisturization
Lasts all day
I really have found this is a great primer for those with normal to dry skin. Not sure how it will hold up on oily skin types. I reach for this quite often since I do not like flat or matte makeup on my skin so this works perfectly with all my foundation. I know some primers I have to be careful or it changes texture of foundation. This is a great affordable primer similar to other moisturizing or brightening primers like L'Oreal Lumi primer for half the cost.
~~~~ PACKAGING ~~~~
NYC Smooth Skin Primer comes in a simple squeezable white tube with black lid, labeling & info. There is 1 fl oz or 30 ml which is a fair amount for a primer. The lid twists on/off easily & keeps product from getting messy or from waste. The hole is big enough to get product out but small enough you can squeeze a small amount that is needed. I like that its squeezable & not bulky or heavy. Very practical & travel friendly. It doesn't take up too much room. I like how its hygienic, no need for digging fingers in a jar for product. The packaging is great for the product. It works and serves its purpose. Its not the most beautiful or cool packaging but its works just fine for me. No problems with it. I will be able to get to all of the product with no problems.
Overall, if you have normal to dry skin and are looking for a primer that will help with dull lifeless skin and one that does't dry out your skin, or are on a budget like myself, def give this is a shot. I really have come to love the product and find it makes my makeup look so much better. I will def repurchase this over and over. I always wanted to try similar primers but they are too much for how little you get but this works so I have no need to anymore. Found a great primer here!