July 26, 2014 | 964 users online

Eye Shadow - NYX - Nude Matte Shadow (all)

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2014 2:12:00 PM More reviews by miniequalcrzy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I don't wear eye shadow often, as I've always felt it was too much for going to school or even the mall but I've recently been getting into them more and more so I decided to get two matte shades because I only had shimmery wet n wild ones... :/
And I have to say I really like these, I bought haywire and betrayal and they're both nice and soft to the touch and actually quite pigmented... But then again I wanted colors that weren't that pigmented so whhats too pigmented to me may not be good enough for someone else
(I'm nc40 ish for reference)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2014 12:17:00 PM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Love these. I have Covet & Confession. I will be buying more shades & adding to this review. These are beautiful matte shadows with a satiny suede look. They feel so soft and comfortable.

NO IRRITATION!!! Another reviewer mentioned that unlike MAC these don't have the problematic ingredient bismuth hydrchloride.Maybe THAT is why I can't tolerate MAC. These don't irritate my eyes at all & I am super sensitive. I get rashes, eczema, redness etc so easily so that is my first test.

Blends easily. I used a satin matte cream shadow by Annabelle called #225 as a blending base highlighter. Smooth even coat.

Covet is an elegant gray green with a faint blue undertone. I have hazel green eyes with blue gray rims. This enhances my eyes & provides a soft neutral look. I have deep set hooded eyes and any shadow that goes on too dark, even my best colour greens will make me look bruised or hollow eyed. This is perfect, a touch of green in a grayed out neutral.

Confession is a dark brown liner shade or contour, with gray & green undertones. I love it together with Covet, but it goes with everything from gold to brown to taupes & gray as well as green.

Colour payoff is great. They don't grab in a spot instead they blend out well, and I can layer on more as needed. I use sponge applicator pack techniques because I don't use primer. I then use a soft brush to blend. I don't want to bother with wet application. I think if you use a brush they may go sheer, but they layer nicely. No fallout.

Both shades are neutral for a polished pulled together look. The grayed down green in Covet & the taupey grayed down greenish brown Confession look great. Neither emphasize wrinkles, nor do they go all dry & chalky like some mattes do.

I will buy more in these NYX mattes. Lap Dance & Leather and Lace look likely along with Maybe Later, Bare My Soul & craving. They aren't expensive. Around 8$ Canadian at Target & Rexall. Rexall has a 25% off sale right now so I will definitely be buying NYX

Edited to add: Lap Dance is AMAZING!!!! I liked 1017's review, she describes her deep set eyes & NW20 skin tone with purplish shadows around her eye socket, which are similar to mine. I also have red rims, visible blood vessels, thin crepey skin and wrinkles.

So when she said Lap Dance became her go to eyeshadow, that covered it all up, looking great I listened, and I agree completely. This is a wonderful nude beige with plenty of full coverage. Feels like velvet, doesn't fade or change, doesn't skip or grab, very blendable.

I also bought Leather & Lace as well as Maybe Later because I liked her "cashmere look" description of the 3 together. L&L is a great highlight that looks pinky tan in the container but goes on ivory cream with a hint of beige. It is smooth, doesn't grab or skip and makes a good highlighter. A nice matte highlight for corners & browbone or a pale cream to beige wash. This was what I was looking for in Maybelline Linen, and L&L is a much better matte pale highlight.

Lapdance and Leather&Lace are the cashmere look or what I'd call the high end look of a Burberry ad. Polished neutral shadows, whisper soft luxe.

Maybe Later has been described as tan, but on me it goes on as a nice looking orangey tan. A little too dark orange for anything but a summer bronzed eye look. Saving it for summer.

I think Lap Dance & Leather&Lace work really well together, and these 2 give me that "cashmere" or Burberry ad look. Love them. Hope NYX never discontinues them, ever!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2014 10:04:00 AM More reviews by ivy1

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Well, I tried to make a new page for the color Bare My Soul, but I don't know if it filtered right here at MUA, so I'm going to leave my review again here on this page, just in case:

I am using this eye shadow as an eyebrow powder. None of the products I've tried that are formulated for blonde eyebrows are ashy enough for my dark blonde coloring. I had bought and then reviewed Gabriel Eye Shadow in Dove for this purpose, and used it for almost a year before it crumbled to bits in the pot, making it unusuable, even though there was a lot of product left. Not wanting to shell out another $13 for it, I decided to try NYX matte shadow in Bare My Soul. It is doing the trick. With a light touch and a small angled brush, this matte shadow is filling in the bare spots of my blonde brows well.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2013 4:27:00 PM More reviews by Rsanzio

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have a very specific test for matte shadows, using them as liners with a small flat angled sable brush. This $4 shadow was nearly as good as the gold standard Chanel and blew UD matte Nakeds out of the water.

The shadow is quite heavily pigmented and went on with excellent precision (I'd give it an 8 to Chanel's 10, with UD at a charitable 4). I had no flaking and it stayed put.

I primed my lids with argon oil and Lime Time primer set with Tarte Smooth Operator (which is fast becoming the most indispensable piece of my eye makeup routine).

Other people may be looking for different qualities and have different experiences, but for what I needed mine was excellent. I will definitely be buying more.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/27/2013 9:54:00 PM More reviews by IrynaHarpy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Most of the reviews so far seem to be concentrating on trying to describe the colours, their personal techniques and what colour combinations they use. Well, makeup is like perfume - nothing is the same on any two women (which is why I don't buy multiple eyeshadow kits). Prefabricated makeup looks may work for some people, but trying to emulate someone else's look only works on the very young. Even there, if your basics aren't up to par it's just going to end up looking tacky. If the colour fades and changes over good primers and bases, don't wear 'em.

At 54 I'm still trying experimenting with adjusting my makeup from the bold colours and extreme makeup looks I used to adore. Mac and Nars were always my mainstays for basics, then Dior, Chanel, Lancome, etc. for their more specialised bold colours. Yes, I'm terribly picky and, considering how expensive makeup is in Australia ($45+ for a single eyeshadow in the mid to higher end brands), I've tried to do it on the cheap by splurging online over the past couple of years. Ultimately, I've come to the conclusion that all of those cheap brands I wanted to try out are exactly that: cheap.

I've had 3 of these (Skinny Dip, Leather and Lace, Haywire) since early in the year and have barely made a dent in any of them. The 2 crease colours don't hold true and look like bruising within a couple of hours of application over Nars Smudge Proof base or Too Faced Shadow Insurance with paint pot Painterly or Camel Coat. No chop. They both fade to grey. Yes, the colours are fine and have some subtlety to them initially, but it doesn't last and I'm not in a position to keep freshening up my lipstick every couple of hours, much less eyeshadow!

As regards the Leather and Lace as a base over primer: chalky. Again, a great colour to offset sallow skin, but if you have even a hint of crepey eyelid it will ensure that no one can miss that fact.

PROS
- Cheap;
- Good basic colours;
- Buildable;
- Some sense of behaving like Mac sheers so they don't look like dead, flat mattes;
- Would probably/possibly be cheap and reasonably wearable for young girls/women as an alternative to frosts and metallics or to give definition to the eye as matte contrast to really kick up the colour of bold eyeshadows.

CONS
- Chalky;
- Too much fallout when building;
- Subtlety in colours fades to the base colour rapidly (that is, Haywire only retains the grey notes; Skinny Dip only retains the blue-purple bruised note; Leather and Lace only retains the whitish notes)
- Personally, as much as I'd love to like them because they're cheap and sort of okay-ish, I can't even bring myself to use them because I like reliable, 'work every time' eyeshadows. The last thing I want to have to do is fuss around trying to repair uneven coverage or fallout or horrible colour fading. My pots won't ever see the metal base showing through, much less be repurchased.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2013 2:39:00 PM More reviews by addied

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

'I have a headache' is this yellow tone cream shade that makes an excellent cover up of any discoloration on the lids or even veins. I generally use it when I need to fix a clean up stain around the eyes & I also use it as a base shadow when I'm going neutral on the lids. Longevity isn't noticeable but I'm fairly sure it last over two hours as I tend to wipe my eyes after mascara irritation and they are on the wipes. Tad chalky but doesn't show up chalky on the skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2013 7:02:00 PM More reviews by cetoyant23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This review is of the shade Maybe Later NMS04. It's a neutral light brown color that works great as a transition shade for any natural look, it works really great on it's own as well. Like many others, I was sad when Wet n Wild discontinued their 6 pans, the 2nd on the left in the Vanity palette was my all time HG everyday crease shade. It worked for every look I was doing & it's a color that works for almost all skintones. For the price it had the best texture of any eyeshadow I own, even my MAC ones tbh. Then I saw someone on Youtube use this NYX eyeshadow and I was reminded of the Vanity palette shade, so I hunted for it. It was on sale at Sears of all places! The texture of the eyeshadow isn't as soft as the WnW in all honesty, but it works just as well with all kinds of colors, warm or cool. I find that it does match my skintone too well at times, so I use a much lighter base from my lashline to browbone, and then I use this. I don't even have to add a lid color or brow highlight & I'm done. So if you're looking for a pre crease blending transition shade, try this one out. The packaging makes me think of a poor man's MAC but it is affordable & you can see the shade easily.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 10:28:00 PM More reviews by azgirl929

I was recently introduced to NYX products (see my other reviews) and so far I'm really impressed. I purchase at Ulta when its BOGO. I have 2 colors of the Matte Nude eye shadow and the pigment is amazing, a little goes along way! Matte (no shimmer) eye shadow is hard to find in many colors, and NYX did it!!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/31/2013 11:44:00 PM More reviews by Mrswhitelaw

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I purchased this in Betrayal, which looks really dark in the pot but is quite nice and buildable. I would call this sort of a raisin color; kind of a purply brown and it seems to have a little teeny bit of gold in it. It's very nice on green eyes but I'm not over the moon for it. It's similar in color to the Almay eyeliner for green eyes in the color "Raisin" (sidebar: great color but the pencil is too dry). I mainly use the Betrayal shadow as a liner along the upper lash line and I apply it wet for better staying power. I find that the NYX shadows don't have great staying power so I always use a primer underneath. I would not purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2013 1:33:00 AM More reviews by Telly90

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought Dance the Tides and Skinny Dip. Dance the Tides is a warm brown. It makes a wonderful transition color. Skinny Dip is a muted purple. I like to use it as an outer corner color along with Dance the Tides in the crease. I find these shades very smooth and easily blendable.