September 30, 2014 | 1590 users online

Eyeliner - Bobbi Brown - Long Wear Eye Pencil - Black Plum

rated 3 of 5 on 1/5/2014 4:41:00 PM More reviews by lingre

I couldnt find the review for other colors so Im posting under this one. I ordered online and the Mahogany color is SO DARK. The reviews I was reading had mentioned the black plum and the black navy.... I really wanted a nice lighter brown, this is closer to black. It must be something in the gel formula because I do remember someone writing that for the grey color too.

Anyhow, Im not impressed with it yet. Today is the second time I am using it. I bought it because the MUA that did my wedding mu used a gel brown liner and it was perfect the whole night! I'm really disappointed with this liner so far. I line my bottom lash line and my eyes arent overly watery but this doesnt stay! It starts to disappear from the outsides in! This happens after a very short period of time. I almost feel like I got a defective one and need to return it. It does work perfectly on my upper eyelid though.

Unfortunately I ordered online from Bobbi Brown and not Sephora or a Bloomies... So its a bit of a pain to return. I guess I will keep trying it out. I think I may go to a Bloomies and try out the black plum or a different color. I put that I'd buy it again but I'm not 100% sure.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2013 11:57:00 PM More reviews by miomega

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The GOOD: Beautiful color, especially if worn on the top lid. On the under eye, it looks dull and mostly black but on top you can really tell that a little something extra is going on, which really makes the eyes pop. It also lasts much longer on top (about 8-9 hours).

The BAD: Sharpening this pencil is such a pain. Its exterior is so hard that it sharpens unevenly (believe me, I tried), which means that you constantly find yourself sharpening and peeling back remnants to keep them scratching your eye area. For this reason, I still haven't decided if I'll repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2013 2:43:00 PM More reviews by queenbee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I am reviewing Bobbi Brown's Long-Wear Eye Pencil in 'Jet'. For some reason I can't find it here on MakeupAlley. I really wanted to like to this product. It was a nice colour very black. However, I have to agree with one of the reviewers here. It smudges, smears and creases within two hours. Once it has smudge, its hard work to wipe it off without a make-up remover so I had to put up with looking like a panda/racoon all day. I tried it with concealer and primer, it didn't help.

I specially don't recommend this for oily skins or for the hot weather, it will melt. There are better eyeliners out there, this isn't worth the price tag! I will not be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/27/2012 6:41:00 PM More reviews by NYCBeauty99

I think that this is a very nice pencil. I love the purple color and it wore very well. As I'm writing this, I've had it on for about 12 hours. There has been minor fading on the upper lash line (I have hooded eyes) and there is still a lot on my lower lash line. The only negative is that it really wouldn't smudge, even when freshly applied.

The sharpener that comes with it works fine, but it is not needed. I say ditch the sharpener and knock a few bucks off the price. It's quite expensive for a fairly basic pencil.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/8/2012 10:08:00 AM More reviews by lingading

My review is actually on the Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Eye Pencil in Jet, but since this product is not yet in the MakeupAlley database, and I haven't completed 20 reviews so I can't add new products to the Productville database, I'm forced to post it here.

The Bobbi BrownLong-Wear Eye Pencil in Jet was an epic fail for me. It is very black, very creamy, and glides on smoothly, but smears and smudges like crazy on me. There was smearing under my eye after 2 hours wear, the eyeliner had transferred and creased after 4 hours wear, and by 12 hours wear the eyeliner was just a complete mess. Using the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion barely helped with the lasting power. I tried setting the eyeliner with black eyeshadow the next day, and the results were just as bad. It's so awful that hubby has actually told me to give it away and never use it again! Allure magazine named it the perfect black liner in June 2012, so it must work for a lot of people, including my cousin, so don't not try it on account of my bad experience with it. I'm starting to think that there's just something wrong with my eyes. =(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2012 11:48:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

Now we're talkin', Bobbi!!! This pencil is great compared to many others with the Bobbi Brown name! I wrote a review on the Long-Wear pencil in Black Navy and really didn't have anything good to say about it, except that it was long wearing. The point breaks off when I use it, it wastes a lot of pencil to sharpen it, and it skips & drags on my lids and crumbles if I try and go over the line. But NOT the Black Plum! Don't ask me why... must be something about the formula or color pigments... I don't know the reason. All I know is, this Black Plum pencil applies like a dream and the line lasts all day long. Nice color, too! This one I would consider repurchasing, even tho I think the price is a bit steep at $24 a pop. Bobbi is a greedy, greedy girl. ;)

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/27/2012 6:50:00 AM More reviews by linc2

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

When Bobbi Brown discontinued Black Plum Gel Liner (my HG), I started the urgent search for a replacement. I've settled on Lancome Aubergine for the upper liner, but it can't be used on the lower waterline.

For the lower, I worked and spent my way through various pencils reputed to be "good" and durable on the lower waterline: UD, Sephora Flashy, and Chanel. Of these, I liked best by far, the Chanel in Cassis. But, while it does not drift on me, it fades during the day.

Then to the new Bobbi Brown Long Wear Eye Pencil in Black Plum. Hurrah and fingers crossed! So far, I really like it. Mind you, I don't think it's the exact shade of the old gel liner, but close enough. It certainly doesn't apply like a gel liner, but it is DURABLE. I honestly think it lasts longer on the lower water line than the gel did -- it doesn't budge. While I like the application of the Chanel Cassis much better, the Bobbi Brown definitely lasts longer. I also tested them side by side on the back of my hand and Bobbi's resisted eye makeup remover longer than the Chanel did.

I took off one lippie because there is virtually no smudge-ability factor. You apply it, it's there and it's not moving.

What I don't understand is why Bobbi would come out with Black Plum in the new long wear pencils if the shade was less popular in the gel liners (at least that's a SA told me...but who knows if that was correct). I wonder if she discontinued the Black Plum gel because there were bad batches along the way? If you're a Black Plum gel gal, then you may know what I'm talking about.

These pencils are definitely worth a try for the lower waterline. Super long lasting!

Update. Now that the hot weather has hit, I am lowering my rating to "3" and I'm not as enthusiastic. In hot weather, this stuff drifts off the lower water line terribly. Not only does it drift, but the "drift" won't budge, like long-wearing raccoon. Much more than Bobbi's gel liner. Please bring back my Black Plum Gel Liner, Bobbi!!!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2012 9:35:00 PM More reviews by TacoFlavoredKisses

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

The website says this is a pencil with the benefits of the Long Wear Gel Liner, and lasts 12 hours. I bought this in Black Plum, and could not be happier with this e/l purchase! It goes on SO easily, glides flawlessly, you'd think it would smudge like hell because it's so smooth and soft going on, but once it's on, it ON and it does not budge! If you want a smudged look, you better smudge FAST because this will set and STAY!! Also, I have yet to find an eyeliner that will actually LINE and STAY on my water line... I have bad allergies that affect my eyes- itchy, watery, etc, and I have tried UD 24/7, MUFE Aqua Liners, you name it! I thought the previously named two were pretty good until I tried this BB one, and it just blows those two out of the water, seriously. This is the perfect alternative to a harsh black liner- a deep Plum, looks like Chanel Cassis (too bad Cassis doesn't wear like this one!) VERY happy to have found this eyeliner... I will definitely be buying more!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No