Stila Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick in Fiery

4.2

on 7/27/2015 6:09:00 PM

Hair: Other, Other, Medium

THIS STUFF STAYS ALL DAY! I touched up once in over 12 hours! Absolutely love!

Olive NC20-25, black hair, brown eyes for reference.

I splurged and bought this in February for both my birthday and a Valentine's Day dinner with my now ex-boyfriend (being that we're both students and fairly broke, McDonalds tended to be our date food of choice). I wanted a deep, Old Hollywood blue-red that could withstand a full school day (6am-4pm) and still get through fast food, because if there's one way to test lipstick... it's chicken nuggets.

I'd previously tried the Sephora Cream Lip Stain in 01 Always Red (it matches Stila's Beso), but although I'd received compliments from women and the ex-boyfriend (who has always preferred a brighter red where I only think darker reds suit me) alike, I felt like it was too 'loud' for me. I did regret that later, but I'm probably going to purchase Beso tomorrow anyway.

Fiery held up throughout the day quite perfectly--it did leave a ring on my hand when I checked to see if it transferred after about 4 hours--but stupid me tried to reapply on top of what was already there. I experienced uncomfortable drying, and balling up in some places--don't even try to lick your lips with this.

It *did* hold up and not transfer too much on my ex, though, so I have to give it credit for that. However, when we were busy eating a box of fifty nuggets, apparently I managed to get a few visible crumbs on my lips that I didn't realize were there until my photographer of an ex (-_-) sent me some pictures later on. Luckily, I managed to avoid the dreaded ring of lipstick despite the nuggets being pretty greasy.

I recently rediscovered Fiery when I learned one of my WOC friends has been rocking deep purple liquid lipstick on the daily, as well as with the release of the Anastasia of Beverly Hills liquid lipsticks. Despite my initial issues with dry lips and whatnot, I actually really love this product and plan to wear it much more often in the future.

Color-wise, Sephora's Color Lip Last in No. 20 Wanted Red is pretty much an exact dupe, and the formula is pretty much the same in that after blotting once the lipstick barely transfers, it's just in a stick instead of a tube.

I do put on MAC's Brick lip pencil after moisturizing and blotting my lips, just because it's my staple red lip liner and I would make a mess of my lip line otherwise. It does help to take some concealer and trace around your lips after the liquid lipstick dries down (for Stila, I'd give it up to 5 minutes even, just to be safe--put on some mascara in the meantime) to ensure you have a crisp edge. Because those Instagram makeup posts are pretty amazing, am I right?

Just to reiterate everyone else with liquid lipstick formulas, you want to avoid food that's too greasy, applying on top of lip balm (definitely blot so it isn't greasy either), and reapplying on top of what's already fully dried down--keep it to a two-layer maximum. If you do everything just right, and you're fine with having fairly dry lips--my lips are already dry as the Sahara Desert, and I still love the velvety finish of the Stila Stay All Day liquid lipsticks--you will probably fall in love with this formula as much as I have.

on 1/24/2015 7:06:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

Pin up glam! I got this in a Dancing W The Stars set (came w Lionfish eyeliner, some eyeshadows, & a cheek color that can double as blush or bronzer)...I got it at Ulta awhile ago but it's still going strong & really pretty when u wear it all together. 2 things out of my usual "zone" are brown eyeliner & then also red lipstick! But Stila has effortlessly combined these & it's safe to say that this is my fave red lipstick I own. It will not budge unless you eat something oily & I take it off w clinique's take the day off oil but to get those crisp lines necessary I take Rimmel ScandalEyes 005 Nude eyeliner (which I also use to clean up my brows!) & I trace around my lipline w that pencil & voilá clean lines & then also patting some concealer in over it. I just ordered Bellissima today coz I love how long wearing these are. Fiery is a wearable red not too garish. I don't normally go for dark/bright colors but this is not goth or vampy. Very classy! It dries fast to matte perfection, this tube I have from the set isn't full sized but these last forever. The doe foot gives ultimate precision. I am a big Stila fan!! Stila is a fun line to collect! With so many of these kinds of lippies popping up (KvD, LimeCrime, ABH etc) I have nothing to compare this to but Stila has always been a fave of mine in general & I am line loyal to a few lines. It retails for USD$22 currently & there aren't a lot of colors (& a few sold out), I hope Stila comes out w sum more (also love their lip glazes fwiw.)

on 7/31/2014 12:49:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Warm

"Love LOVE L O V E", and this is exactly how I feel about this product minus the hefty price tag. Somone had told me about the product type for another color she had tried. I was more interested in ordering in a LimeCrime Velvetine. But then I went into Sephora for a skincare product and ofcourse wandered across some make up displays and paused at Stila as I remembered the product I heard great reviews about. So picked my fav color red and did a swap swap, and looked at the mirror and was I blown away. WOW, POW, BAMM. I have 2 other red's from Revlon, they too have a matte finish. But I feel that this lipstick glides on differently (gloss style) and then drys to a perfect matte. I can't vouch for it's longevity, flaking or feathering as I wore it for only an hour (will update). 1 thing I don't like much about lipstick is that sometimes it makes that weird line where the 2 lips meet, like that part just got parched and dried up and the gunk there stuck to your lip. I am hoping this type of lipstick will not do that, but again, we'll see.
AT $29 a pop this thing is pretty steep. I'm just glad I had a credit from a gift return that I got to use towards this, so paid only $13. So this thing better stretch out my $$$$

on 5/3/2014 2:18:00 PM

First of, I know that many reviews have pointed out that this red is a "true" red and of course, we all have our own opinions of what a "true" red should be. I compared Fiery with my other red lipsticks, NYX's Alabama and Perfect Red, and concluded that Fiery has more purple in them than the other two. So if you're curious to know what this color's base, there you go!

Let me start the review. As a recent red lipstick lover, I was pretty excited when I received this color as a gift. Though I was apprehensive at first since I prefer blue-reds, I was doubly excited when I applied the color onto my lips. The pigmentation is amazing for an item that looks and feels like a gloss. My lips are pretty pink on their own but Fiery covered it all up and turned them into this beautiful deep red color. When it dried to a matte finish, I was even happier! The doe-foot applicator was a dream to use -- not too firm and not too flimsy to handle.

However, there are some less appealing factors about this lipstick in general. Since it needs to live up to its claim of "Stay All Day", the matte finish can be very drying and will settle into the lines on lips. Since Fiery is a dark color, the lines were not prominent on me but I can imagine them being so with a lighter color. So if you're particular about such issues, you might want to reconsider. Personally, I did not have any issues with dryness after removing the lipstick.

To remove the lipstick, I blot out as much of the excess product as possible, rub a generous amount of Vaseline onto my lips and clean with an oil-based make-up cleanser.

on 10/20/2013 3:23:00 AM

I have this in beso. I got it in my birch box. It's not the best shade for me. I think it'd look good on someone darker than me. it dries very quickly so it can be easy to mess up. and it feels uncomfortably dry on lips without balm over it. I think that stains like this are just not my thing. I understand why a lot of gals love this though.

on 5/6/2013 2:26:00 AM

This lipstick is perfection! One of my faborite products! It goes on like lip gloss and dries to a perfect matte finish. Let me tell you about the shade of red though!! GORGEOUS!! The perfect red velvet lip in this little tube! & it stays on all day!!

on 2/28/2013 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

YES YES YES. I have this in Fiery and Beso (I think the actual name of the product is "Stay All Day Liquid Lipstick") and I adore them both.
I always try to find great matte reds that a. don't feather and b. don't dry out my lips. These answer that call.
I use a thin layer of balm underneath, which surprisingly, does not effect staying power. They are difficult to get off, but I just use a cotton pad with olive oil and I'm fine.
The longevity is insane. It really does last for a good few hours. If I eat something oily, slight touchup is needed, but otherwise, it stays put. No feathering. No major transferring. Nothing. It's lovely.
Fiery is a great deep red that harks back to the early 90's and I love it. Beso is a bright, classic, true red that is so pinup I can hardly deal.
They are pricey, but considering how little I have to reapply, I don't really mind.
Packaging is great. Glass, so it feels classy, and the longer, angled doe-foot applicator actually makes applying it a breeze for me. I use the pointier end to line my lips first, then fill in the rest.

on 2/21/2013 9:57:00 PM

I went into Ulta and asked one of the ladies to reccommend me a matte red lipstick. She instantly chose this product, so I bought it without even trying it. I LOVE IT! it dries fairly quickly and lasts alllll day for me. The only worry I had when purchasing was that it would get dry and start to look gross...but no balm and i'll lick my lips all day and it stays looking as perfect as when I applied. My only complaint is the applicator itself...its too large and makes it very easy to mess up with such a bright color. You have to be very careful when applying since it is so bright and will dry/stain pretty quickly. I just use my own lip brush. Also if you do use the applicator it comes with make sure you wipe it on the mouth of the tube because you only need 1/4 of what sticks to it! I will definitely return to this product and would reccommend to anyone

on 1/15/2013 6:57:00 PM

I tried this out at Sephora because I saw it featured in a magazine but this shade is definitely not for me. It was way to bright for my taste, it is a true red ( I am an NC 43). The MA applied this on me but she smeared it a little by mistake and because it sets so fast, it was difficult to get off.I had red marks all around my mouth and had to use several makeup wipes to get it off.

This is a color that you want people to notice, it is not subtle at all. I tried another shade of this formula , Amore which for me is much more wearable but I am not sold on the matte appearance of this lipstick, I like a little more moisture on my lips so I opted not to buy either one.

Recommended for Medium Skin