July 25, 2014 | 1871 users online

Styling Products - Alterna - Bamboo Volume Plumping Strand Expand

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/14/2014 10:06:00 PM More reviews by AprilShowas123

Great for medium-fine hair. Sort of matte, encourages natural texture. Overall great product.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/23/2013 10:17:00 AM More reviews by apo1

I need to preface my review with the fact that I have used Alterna styling products for a couple of years. I have always had successful results. When the old Thickening Cream in the turquoise tube was discontinued, I was really upset. I had used that for years and found that it really gave my fine hair volume, without weighing the roots down. I went back and forth using other products and then came across this one recently. I had a coupon and i thought I would give it a try. I used it for the first time today and I absolutely LOVE it. I used about 4-5 pumps and distributed it throughout towel dry hair evenly starting at my ends and working it up towards the crown/roots. My bangs are voluminous and my hair is holding curl leaving my hair with body. The true test will be to see how long it lasts throughout the day, so I'll be sure to update. So far, so good!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/15/2013 12:09:00 AM More reviews by celestesong

I've been using this for about a month and I think it's a great product for styling fine, thin hair. I was skeptical at first because texture-wise, it's a lotion, but it doesn't weigh down my hair at all. I only need 4-5 pumps (they're small dollops) to cover my long hair and I can really tell a difference after I blow dry. My hair looks thicker and richer; it stands up well to the Texas heat and I really haven't much trouble with humidity like I used to. I used it alternately with my Enjoy hair serum, which I generally use to control frizz when I air-dry my hair.

It might seem pricey, but a little goes a long way, so one bottle will most likely last for at least four months, and that would be if you blow-dried daily.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2013 9:17:00 AM More reviews by TennilleES

Ive changed my mind about this product, I can't get the volume I'm looking for with this

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2012 8:53:00 PM More reviews by sweetgardenangel

This Alterna styling product, Strand Expand, does successfully in creating the volume in my hair. Even moreso, when it is combined with Alterna's Silk Sleek Brilliance Creme.

The frizzies are kept at bay, the volume is created, and my inverted bob seems to be a lot more swinging in a slanted line. The aroma is nice, too. The blow-drying was a charm because this styling aid pumped up the volume so easy peasy! Also, I liked the texture of my hair after the dry-out, and was glad there was no icky residue like some products leave in the hair. No greasiness, no stickiness.

Al the Alterna products seem to be on the costly factor when you figure that the product is in small quantities. If you search the net, you will find that these $22 bottles are available for $15 at Pandora. I will test out the Bamboo Volume Abundant Shampoo and Conditioner and report back on another review for them. But for now, I highly recommend this product! Also you really only need to pump out a small amound of product, for the fantastic results, which is a "good thing" as Martha would say, considering the price point.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2012 4:40:00 PM More reviews by PollyWannaCocktail

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted to Love this product, but it did practically nothing for my hair. It did give a bit of volume for a few hours after blow drying, but it didn't last. I'm much happier with Living Proof Thickening cream.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2012 3:21:00 PM More reviews by SaraLee2

UPDATE: I've switched to Redken 07 Layer Lift with much better results.
ORIGINAL: According to Alterna, this is designed to plump and volumize hair while protecting color. Its a white lotion that smells very light and fresh. Comes in a 4oz pump bottle which is a good idea, but the bottle I got only pumps out a tiny bit at at time so even with my medium amount of thin hair, I risk getting carpal tunnel every morning trying to get enough out of the bottle. That being said, I work about a quarter size this through damp hair from tips to roots, comb through, and style as usual. It detangles beautifully, smooths hair without weighing it down, doesn't dry it out or make it greasier, gives gentle volume and fullness, and...the best part...keeps my hair fresh for 2-3 days. I've never been able to go more than 1 day without washing, mostly because it just becomes so unruly, sticking out all over the place, but with this, it looks fresh and controlled for days. $22 at drugstore.com