Shea Moisture Organic African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo

3.2

Deionized Water, Decyl Glucoside (Coconut Oil), African Black Soap, Salicylic Acid, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Melia Azadirachta (Neem) Seed Oil, Charcoal Powder, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis Seed (Jojoba) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Oil*, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Vitamin E, Rosemary Extract, Plantain Extract, Lonicera Caprifolium (Honeysuckle) Flower (and) Lonicera Japonica (Japanese Honeysuckle) Flower Extract

on 8/31/2015 11:59:00 AM

I had high hopes for this as a clarifying shampoo, but it did not work for me at all. It did deep cleanse my scalp and hair, but it left my hair extremely dry, and both my hair and scalp got dirty/greasy feeling again almost immediately.

You should smell this before purchase of you can, because I found the scent to be very off putting, like an over ripe rotting plastic banana. The scent didn't linger in my hair, but was unpleasant to use in the shower. Obviously not the shampoo for me!

on 8/4/2015 9:42:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Dark, Not Sure

This get my hair clean and leaves it feeling very soft and not strip like most shampoos. It has a earthy medicine smell to it.

on 6/22/2015 3:53:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Well maybe I just got a weird bottle, but I felt like this really didn't cleanse my scalp effectively. It always felt like within a day my roots were greasy. Maybe it's because I'm used to using sulphates. At least it didn't dry the crap out of my scalp like the Hibiscus and Coconut shampoo did, so there's that.

on 6/2/2015 7:31:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I purchased this to use as a clarifying shampoo. I will not purchase it again. It made my hair extremely hard. I will stick with my Aubrey's Green Tea shampoo.

on 4/9/2015 11:51:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I purchased this as my new clarifying shampoo. Iíve been natural for three years now and I still enjoy trying new products. Iíve used this shampoo three times and can say without a doubt that itís one of the WORST Iíve ever used. It does get my scalp really clean, no flakes left behind and thatís great. However, the more I use it, the drier my (3C/4A) strands! And I only clarify once a month, but my hair is no longer soft and my curls arenít as springy as before so I have to return the half empty bottle to Sallyís. Itís going to take a lot of deep conditioning to get my hair in order again. Definitely not a win for me.

on 5/31/2014 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

I love the way this shampoo smells, a bit earthy (woodsy) with a hint of banana (from the plantain). I had rubbed castor oil which is very thick all over my scalp because I'm trying to get a section of hair to grow faster (baaaaaad uneven haircut). This shampoo washed the thick oil right out with no issues. I only needed a little for it to lather. I will use this every two weeks to clarify since I use a lot of shea moisture stuff. My hair is 3a/3b/3c, low porosity, medium density, and medium strand thickness

on 2/9/2014 10:04:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

This DOES what it claims. I was losing hair in patches and had itchy, flaky scalp. I went to the doctor and he said that I had patch psoriasis. Since I also have non-celiac gluten sensitivity I scrambled to get a gluten free shampoo (had been using the expensive infomercial shampoo, which left my hair great but had WHEAT in it, hence the consequences)

This shampoo and mask not only calmed my scalp immediately, it works on my face and has cleared my complexion without drying it, leaving it smooth and pores less open, so blackheads are gone too! Wut! I'm so sold.

The scent isn't great but it's not awful and I have problems with strong scents, so if I tolerate it, most people will. It's not overwhelmingly sweet.

My hair grew back, thank you very much, and my scalp no longer itches or gets red! And the mask is spectacular... Very soothing.

That said, I have been using it for a couple of months and my hair did turn straw-like. So today I went to get their other shampoos, masks and conditioners, which are also gluten free to repair my hair now that my scalp calmed down.

Overall, I love that this line is natural, vegan, etc... I know I'm not putting poison on my head which your entire body absorbs. I'm very happy to have found it.

I'm not sure if this line is meant for "ethnic hair" and I see some of it is to transition to "natural" hairstyle, but I am Caucasian with a 2b type curl, frizzy and blonde. Just wanted to add that in case someone has questions as to if it is just for one type hair. It's not. It works just as well.

The price is reasonable too! I have no complaints in that it does what it's meant to do! Please don't go out of business, b/c every time I find something I love, it disappears from the market. I'm not changing lines any time soon. Thanks

on 10/16/2013 12:26:00 PM

That's it. This, is the shampoo to end all shampoos.

I have lots of fine, stick straight hair. My scalp is extremely oily and responds quite poorly to silicones, sulfates, etc. Many shampoos leave my scalp greasy yet my ends parched.

Over the years, I have found many shampoos that do clean my hair, but aren't perfect. L'Oreal everpure was great a few years ago, then they changed the formula and now it leaves my hair limp and awful. Alaffia Black soap shampoo was almost perfect, but just a little too drying. Organix Coconut was also great a few years ago, but now it leaves my ends crackly and parched but doesn't clean my roots at all. Kiehl's coconut oil shampoo does work (in conjuction with baking soda)...but it breaks me out.

So I headed to Duane Reade, and recalling my positive experience with Alaffia Black soap shampoo, I decided to give this one a try. And this...is PERFECT. It removes all the gunk from my scalp, but doesn't dry the ends at all. My hair is bouncy, soft, shiny, and voluminous. I get many compliments on my hair these days.

on 6/4/2012 9:46:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

Honestly it is not the worst shampoo I have tried but it did not work for me. Silly me forgot to read the ingredients and used it several times. Next thing I know, my scalp was on fire. Read over the ingredients (like I should have in the first place) and found out that it contains tea tree oil. I still had a full bottle left so I left in the communal bathroom so hopefully someone will take it off my hands.

Another con about this product is that the bottle that I have purchased was so runny, I was was shocked on how runny it was because other shampoos in this brand are pretty thick. So ladies with itchy scalp and not allergic to tea tree oil, check the consistency of the product by shaking it. If it sounds watery, find something else. Personally I felt that it didn't cleanse my scalp well but I only used it a handful of times so I cannot give it a fair assessment.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse

My hair is natural - rather curly and dry. The only chemicals i use is store bought hair dye to cover the grey (sorry but i cross the line at going grey in my thirties, i will fight that every step.) I've switched over to using more natural products lately in my whole regime. Although i have heard of the Shea Moisture products before, i never used them until i stumbled upon them at Target. I don't normally use shampoo on my hair, unless i need to clarify from product build up. I've been using African Black soap (the bar) on my face for the last year, so i know the lovely cleansing properties it has. My hair was in protective twists for the last two weeks. I would only take them down, to moisturize, detangle, and then retwist. Using the Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque first, i washed everything out with the African Black Soap Cleansing Shampoo. My biggest fear was tangles, which usually happens when i use shampoo. Washing my hair in sections - untwisting, rinsing, and retwisting - helped keep some of the snags away. There was some, but it wasn't a mess. As expected it did leave my hair squeaky clean, which can mean a little on the less moisture side, BUT it wasn't a nightmare. It didn't feel brittle, there wasn't clumps of tangles which i've had in the past with other shampoos. Although this is was my first time using this, i do believe i will keep it within my routine of once a month clarification from my co-washes.

Top Rated Shea Moisture Products