July 31, 2014 | 985 users online

Fragrances - L'Artisan Fragrances - Vanille Absolument

rated 2 of 5 on 4/28/2014 4:28:00 PM More reviews by Lybarra118

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Boy, what I got was not what I was expecting. I bought this without testing, same as I did with Fracas. Also same as Fracas, I couldn't force myself to try more than twice.

It's very dry, smoky and smells like a bottle of rum (not the Malibu kind). I got a bad body odor smell from this and it made me gag. Even after scrubbing my arm, the scent lingered. There's very little vanilla, which I would normally think is a good thing as too much vanilla can be cloying, IMO, but that wasn't the case here.

At first spray, the first thing I pictured was some drunk, dirty, sweaty man (hibiscus shirt unbuttoned, chest hair showing), hanging at the beach smoking a cheap cigar.

I couldn't pull it off.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/1/2014 2:10:00 AM More reviews by ncashen

I'm a fan of L'Artisan Fragrances, and I favor oriental and gourmand fragrances. The descriptions written by online reviewers about VANILLE ABSOLUMENT (formerly Havana Vanille) - EAU DE PARFUM (by Bertrand Duchaufour) really convinced me I needed to own it. The notes (Rum, Narcissus Absolute, Vanilla Absolute) were too delicious to resist. So without sampling it, I ordered a discounted new 3.4 oz. bottle online. I ordered it along with L'Artisan's COEUR DE VETIVER SACRE.

I find I can smell a L'Artisan fragrance on a test strip or even right on the spray cap once it's been used and just swoon. That's how I felt when I first sprayed this sweet carnivalesque concoction. Some reviewers have used the word "boozy" to describe its intoxicating, cocktail-like appeal. I definitely get that. But my first response to wearing VA on my skin was an evocation of childhood memories of carnivals and fairs, where there are sweet and mysterious combinations of smells on the air.

VA is exotic and edible (or perhaps I should say "drinkable" for those who call it "boozy"). It's also decadent in an innocent way, as mouthwatering as a caramel apple or a big fluffy cloud of cotton candy.

Of course, it's also grown-up and complex, with hints of leather and wood. I'm glad I purchased it. Once the bottle is gone, I probably won't replace it, because I collect too many fragrances. I'm considering getting rid of the vetiver, but I couldn't get rid of Vanille Absolument. It's just too delightful and interesting. But it's definitely not a signature or everyday scent for me.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 9:50:00 AM More reviews by miele2007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This reminds me of Keiko Mecheri's Rahat Loukoum. There's almond, powder and thick honey notes along with the namesake vanilla. Definitely gourmand, it's a long lasting and sweet fragrance.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/30/2013 9:13:00 PM More reviews by stls

I recently tried Vanille Absolument and what can I say, it's Vanilla Perfume Lover's Heaven.
It's rich and thich and sticky and boozy. I would swear I smelled benzoin too but it must be the tobacco that gives the smokey caramelized effect I usually get from benzoin.
Reminded me of high quality melted french vanilla ice cream served with buttery croissants.
It's mainly vanilla, though with not much of unexpected twists.
I'd love to get a bottle but for now I get my thick vanilla fix from ''L de Lolita'' and if I wanted tobacco then Tobacco Vanille by Tom Ford would be more distinctive.
Vanille Absolument is great but didn't rock my world enough to fork out such amount of cash yet.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2013 5:32:00 AM More reviews by funnyblossom

First impressions: first smell is smoky, tobbaco .. it evolves into leathery something.. and then into a woody, smoky , quite nice, dense scent. I donĀ“t think this is a teenage, young, sweet vanilla.. this is grown-up. Update: I really like this one.. very unusual. Not a favorite with my boyfriend though..

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2013 8:54:00 PM More reviews by julia178

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Vanille Absolument is simply gorgeous: A radiant, vibrant warm masterpiece, created by perfumer Bertrand Duchaufour. I own and love several Vanilla gourmand perfumes, SDV, Cuir Beluga, Vanille Galante, to name a few favorites. Vanille Absolument is a wonderful comforting fragrance for cooler temperatures.
Notes: Rum, cloves, dried fruit in the top, helichrysum, narcissus and tonk a bean in the middle, and a delicious base composed of vanilla, sandalwood, moss and balsamic notes.
The rum is present on my skin throughout all stages, lasting power is very good - about 8 hours - and the play between the vanilla and the other notes is intriguingly beautiful.
What a lovely addition to my scent wardrobe, and a definite repurchase.
Price: $165 for the 3.4 oz spray bottle.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/28/2012 6:27:00 PM More reviews by Tamahawk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Imagine yourself at a fall gathering on a sunny day with your best friends on a hay ride, as the wagon drives by the country house where Grandma is baking sweets. The hay ride continues, and you pass by the dried up corn fields. You stop to get some foddershock for Grandma's porch. The wagon finally drops you off at the fresh pumpkin patch, where you pick out the pumpkin that you are going to carve into a jack-o-lantern later that evening.... Oh what fun! Vanille Absolument takes me to this place in my mind! :-)

Vanille Absolument, formerly know as Havana Vanille, is a somewhat sweet, creamy, fresh green scent. I believe what is interpreted by some reviewers as "moldy pumpkin" is actually a mixture of clove, green tobacco, rum, and vanilla. Leather is listed as one of the notes, but it is really super light. While this is not my absolute favorite fall vanilla (that would be CJScents Vanilla Autumn), I am very excited to have it in my collection; it is one of the best and most interesting vanilla fragrances in my opinion and is PERFECT for fall! Do try this fragrance for yourself; I think you will like it! :-)

Notes: (Fragrantica)
"At the soul of this infusion is Mexican vanilla pod soaked in aged rum which contains a Top Note of clove and crystallized dried fruit. Its leathery characteristics are rounded off by a ball of vanilla and powder. The Heart Note, a subtle alliance of narcissus, everlasting flower and tonka bean is reminiscent of freshly picked tobacco leaves, both honey-sweet and narcotic. The Base Note blend of balms, smoked woods and musks around a vanilla absolute make the fragrance creamy, mellow and addictive." continued >>