Physicians Formula Powder Palette Mineral Glow Pearls

3.0

on 7/11/2015 5:24:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I just repurchased this highlighter/blush-type powder product in the color "translucent pearl". I am light-skinned, blue-red undertones, and this powder is a pastel, muted mauve on me. I wear it as a highlighter but can also wear it as a blush. It has shine but also color - reflects light but looks like a color when shadowed, if that makes sense. One quality I like best about it is it has a blur effect. When worn above a (mauve or purple) blush, it's as if the blush is blended, without an obvious line. And it doesn't interfere with my foundation or highlight skin imperfections.

There's a high-sheen top spray, a white layer on top that has to be worn through (or scraped off?). I like it, but it's strangely unrepresentative of the bulk of the product.

pro's:
highlight + subtle color
blur effect
great for people w/fair winter/spring skin color
mixes with pinks and purples

con's:
high-sheen top spray
no idea how this looks on other skin tones
probably only good with pinks and purples (no orange or peach tones)

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

I don't understand why so many people here complain about the product's inability to be a bronzer. It is not a bronzer! If you read the packaging carefully it says it is supposed to be a “glow" for your face. I have yellow under toned skin so I got the shade light bronze pearl. It is a beautiful shimmery highlighter for the face that gives white reflects in sunlight. I use it on the tops of my cheeks for a healthy glow and on the bridge of my nose to make it look smaller (totally works btw). You have to swipe VERY little of this on your face or you'll look like a glittery mess in the sunlight, believe me I've been there lol. It has a lot of quantity so this will be my highlighter for lifetime since I use so little to make my face glow!
I took a lippie off because this costed me $17 and for a drugstore purchase that is pretty darn expensive. It's the price of most Clinique products, and Clinique is a high end brand!
The packaging is beautiful, clear top with a plastic pearl in the middle and silver base. It has a nice mirror under the powder. The powder itself is super shiny white champagne color with balls of pearls in texture, it looks beautiful in my makeup collection.

I really do recommend this but if you're saving money, try another drugstore brand. Wet N' Wild and Hard Candy have amazing highlighter products for less!

on 7/12/2014 7:51:00 PM

I love this powder in the summer mostly! I have the "translucent pearl" shade I use as a highlighter on my cheeks and I also dust on it on my chest/shoulders/legs for a really pretty glow on my body! It says you can use it all over the face to also even out skin tone but I do NOT suggest that as its very shimmery and would probably look ridiculous!

Overall this is a really pretty shimmery highlighter for the face and body! I love it!

For referance I am neutral leaning yellow and very porcelain (nc5ish).

I don't know about any of you but it is so hard for me to find a good quality highlighter in any drugstore. And I thought this stuff was pretty good.

I purchased the shade in beige pearl and it highlights my skin beautifully. I have fair/medium skin and this shade worked great. I will say though that it did take me a few tries to like this product. The top layer has this really bright glittery sheen to it and when I first put it on all I saw was glitter, glitter, and more glitter uuhhh. I never wanted to use it again. But I started to play with it again and realized all I had to do was wipe that funky glitter off and voila! Perfect highlighter.

The packaging is so gorgeous! Honestly, that's the reason it even caught my eye. It has a pretty sleek silver packaging with a mirror that you are probably never going to use and it comes with a cute flat brush (psst, save those brushes for contouring your cheek bones).
It just looks good in my makeup bag:)

Bottom line the product does the job and it's a lot cheaper than high end brands. So why not give it a shot? Based on some of the reviews I see here, it looks like a lot of people got the wrong shade. Oh and the reason I wouldn't buy it again is not because i regret it but I love trying new highlighters, I gotta find the next big thing! Hope this helped :)

on 11/4/2013 9:20:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Curly, Medium

I bought this in Light Bronze Pearl. The package was deceiving in that the spray over-lay on the product is a lighter color than the actual product. In store I thought it might be okay. Imagine my surprise when I swirled my brush in the product and applied a glitter-bomb of an orange bronzer! It also exaggerated all my fine lines and wrinkles. A definite NO for me. Someone with darker or warmer, younger skin may have more pleasing results.

on 8/1/2013 6:20:00 PM

i have the shade "beige pearl" and its not a bronzer at all, its shimmery and light and i use it as a highlighter. i am pale and i got the darker shade because its more of a champangne highlighter vs a pink h/l. i love this, a little goes a loooong way!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

Just got this and its great! I got it in Beige Pearl, which they say is for medium skin tones. Strangely the one they say is for light skin tones is actually darker?
Was looking for a natural looking gold highlighter which wouldn't make me look shiny. This is a true champagne but light enough to show up on my tan skin.
I only gave this a 3 for packaging because the testers in store were broken and it seems as though the compact isn't very well made!
Its got the product pressed into these lovely pearl shapes and as you use it the product loses those raised pearls but underneath the varying colours of shimmer are baked into circles so it always looks like a pan of pearls :) There is an actual pearl on top of the lid but I wonder how long that'll last?
Under the pan you lift it up and there is a mirror underneath with a little half-moon brush. I can imagine using this on a night out to add some more shimmer, and probably to my detriment! I would suggest using this with fingers because it blends nicely. The mirror is but probably unnecessary - not a product you are likely to leave the house with! Unless you want a 3:30 pickmeup and if so you'll probably be near a mirror at all times?
I tested this against Prestige Skinloving Minerals Bronzing Powder 'pure shimmer' and that is pure gold but with much larger glitter flecks. Not natural!
Overall, I think this is a good option similar to MAC soft & gentle but only AU$30 at Priceline. I have rated it 3 overall because there are actual miniscule flecks you can see, as opposed to just a shimmer or glow.

More about me:
Asian normal skin - tending towards combination in summer
Was acne-prone for years
Foundation preference is to look as yellow as possible, absolutely nil pink
MAC NC-30, Shiseido O60, BeneFit Champagne, Bobbi Brown #4, MUFE Sand/Desert
Sunscreen everyday - alternating between Sofina and Invisible Zinc

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Worst packaging ever. When I opened this, all the little pearls fell out and I had to scoop them off the floor and out of the sink.. yuck. It was so hard to get any product on my brush, and when I really went in for it, I knocked the pearls out again. This was so frustrating and disappointing because PF products are expensive for a drugstore. I didn't notice any significant change in my complexion after using this.

on 6/5/2012 11:45:00 PM

by the looks of this in the package, it looks like it will be a wonderfully pigmented highlighter. I used it with the brush it came with, and it took off the shimmery top layer revealing a much darker, regular face powder. Taking it back, this isn't what I was expecting

So i got this in the light pinky beige color (don't remember the name...) and i really like it... just wish it was a little more pigmented. The brush is amazing and perfect cheek size. I feel as though i dont always get enough product on my brush though... :( i might rub my finger on it and add a highlighter to the top of my cheekbones and it looks rlly nice but fades pretty quickly. I've ALWAYS loved physicians formula and this was a little bit of a downer versus their standard in my viewpoint. until i find a better highlighter... i'll guy this again.