October 22, 2014 | 1431 users online

Shampoo - Paul Mitchell - Awapuhi Wild Ginger Moisturizing Lather Shampoo

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2014 1:08:00 PM More reviews by lollsazz

My hair is waist long, colour-treated about 7 tmes in the past year. Dark brown, medium thickness and texture, straight. Normal skin/hair.

I've used this for about a month now. I really like this shampoo! I hard about it and went straight for the 1000 mL bottle. I got it for about $60, which is EXPENSIVE, especially for a student. I DO have a more expensive shampoo though: the Aquage Silkening Shampoo, which was about... $70... I do like the Maul Mitchell one better though *sigh*. At least, it takes me about a year to finish one bottle, but it can last even longer than that.

What made me buy these super-expensive shampoos are that both are sulphate free. I must say: many people can use shampoos with sulphate, but for me, I lose slightly more hair using them, which is NOT good, as I'm already losing quite a lot of hair for my age. I even have to use treatments to not lose as much. Also, I get less split ends with sulphate free shampoos (but split ends have never ben a big problem for me). Anyway: I have found that I kinda need to go sulphate-free. I have tried Biolage Volumizing Shampoo too (owned by Aquage, I think), which is a cheaper variant. Although it made my hair feel nice, I lost slightly more hair with it than with more expensive Sulphate-free shampoos.

I really like the Paul M. Awapuhi Ginger shampoo because:
1) it smells nice to me: not strong and smells of ginger
2) it's REALLY thick and concentrated - you need very little of it and it will last a long time if used as it should be. Put a small amount: about 2-3 pea sizes in your palm, add a little water, LATHER UP, and massage into hair. Repeat as many times as necessary. Very concentrated shampoos aren't meant to be put straight onto your hair - they might dry it out and unbalance your scalp
3) it balances my hair and scalp: I can go 3 days instead of 2 before I have to wash my hair. At the same time, it doesn't dry my hair out
4) it keeps my hair hydrated and very soft
5) It washes my hair effectively. Notice: I only use hair serum of some kind usually, but it can handle some hairspray too. If I have something like oil treatment in my hair, I mix my shampoo with baking powder for the first wash, while the second is just shampoo. I often follow up with 2:3 vinegar:water to get the pH back down for really silky hair. You can also use a clarifying shampoo from time to time, if you have put a lot of styling products in your hair. I prefer baking powder and vinegar mainly because it works well for me - actually well, not "good for being a natural product"
6) rinses out easily

Cons:
1) Price
2) It doesn't necessarily give much volume
3) If you have very dry hair, you might prefer the Aquage Silkening Shampoo. I know it works well for colour-treated hair too.
4) I don't know how this works for colour treated hair - mine is coloured 7 times, but right now I care little about what colour it is

Basically, this shampoo makes my hair and scalp feel nice :) Is this shampoo all I need? No, I also use conditioner. Also, the water where I live seems to have quite a bit of copper. Copper in the water makes bleached hair take on a greenish colour, so I actually also need a chelating shampoo (chelate = remove metal ions i.e. copper). Otherwise, I really like this shampoo and would buy again. I will update this review after I have finished the bottle.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2014 8:04:00 PM More reviews by Pauser

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have relaxed, color-treated Caucasian hair, which I have to manage so it doesn't dry out. I read about this shampoo, and it sounded like it would work for me. It was just okay.

I liked the light scent, and I liked that it lathered well - many sulfate-free shampoos don't lather nearly as well as this. But my hair felt dry after rinsing it out. And the matching conditioner didn't seem very moisturizing. I had to put a hair mask on with the conditioner to get the level of moisture I wanted. So I was underwhelmed at the results. And that light pleasant scent? It disappeared overnight, and my hair absorbed the scent of wherever/whatever I was doing - in my case baking peach muffins. So my hair smelled like peach muffins until I washed it the following day. This also costs more than other shampoos that deliver similar results IMHO. So, bottom line, I would not buy this again. This would probably work better for someone with normal to slightly dry hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 6:57:00 PM More reviews by goodtimesdani

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I purchased this shampoo through my job, and I get a great discount so the price was not an issue for me. I have always had coarse wavy brown hair that I usually straighten with lots of products. I did not notice a large difference using this shampoo (as well as the awapuhi wild ginger keratin cream rinse afterward) the first couple of times. However!! after awhile, my hair is soo silky when I rinse out this shampoo that it feels like I do not need to apply conditioner afterwards. this has never happened to my hair before. I purchased some very nice oils and straightening creams for my hair as well because usually I have to apply multiple products to get my hair silky and straight but now I really dont need very much product. of course something to heat protect, but my hair is always so silky now even when I wear it wavy with no product!

I will say that i DEF noticed more of a difference after using this shampooo EVERY day! I have been using it for almost a month now. I love it.

As far as the product look/smell/texture goes:
it is a white consistency similiar to a lotion. it really does transform in a rich nice lather after rubbing it in the hair. rinses clean. so perfect

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2013 12:32:00 AM More reviews by ktsimm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for a few months really helps damaged hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/26/2013 6:28:00 PM More reviews by Silverspoon1450

I have fine curly hair. This product line works well for me. I love the smell, it lathers great, and makes my hair feel delightful. A tad expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I'd definitely buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/25/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by Uglydoll

I've gone through two bottles of this shampoo (the big pump bottles) and I think this is a nice mild shampoo. Definitely not as strong as the "Shampoo Two" shampoos. It has a tropical kind of smell which I really liked for the summer time. It was a bit pricy.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2013 7:08:00 PM More reviews by Nikkinoona09

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this product and the whole range. I am a hairdresser so I have tried lots of product that make outrageous claims. This actually helped as I have chemically processed hair I.e bleached and damaged. After using the awaphui and wild ginger range my hair had shine and looked fuller. Love love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/31/2013 3:13:00 PM More reviews by melissast

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have fine hair and not a ton of it so in the past have always gone with volumizing shampoos but realized I needed something more moisturizing to help tame frizz this summer. Unlike other shampoos I've used, upon rinsing this out, my hair feels smooth and like its already been conditioned. Also love the rich moisturizing lather. Hair isn't weighed down and its frizz free so I'm happy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2013 10:24:00 AM More reviews by KatWKSF

I just purchased this shampoo about a week ago. So far, my favorite thing about it is the fragrance. It is very, very light & pleasant. I like how you just catch a whiff of the scent & it doesn't overpower you all day. For a moisturizing shampoo, it does lather pretty well. I do have to use a heavier conditioner than I feel like I should have to after a "moisturizing" shampoo. And I cannot use the coordinating conditioning rinse - it's much too light. I read on the PETA website that PM products are cruelty-free, which is one reason I try to patronize them. This shampoo is also more readily available & price-friendly than some others I've tried (like Living Proof). It's a good product, I just wish it was a bit more moisturizing.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/28/2013 5:44:00 AM More reviews by lyssaw519

This stuff is nice... it smells really good and improves the health of your hair without weighing it down, and allows me to go 3 days without washing my hair. However, there are cheaper alternatives. The main ingredients that make this "salon quality" are the large-molecule surfactants that arent as harsh on hair. To understand this better please check out this link..
Basically, there are other cheaper products that will give you the same results. One brand that I have found to contain these large-molecule surfactants is Organix. The Not Your Mothers way to grow long and strong shampoo is another one. Explore and exhaust your other options before spending the extra for this, because chances are you can find a cheaper alternative that makes your hair equally healthy/shiny/soft whatever it is you want. I found that the Paul Mitchell Awapuhi wild ginger line did not make my hair super soft without the use of a deep conditioner so keep that in mind too. I will not be repurchasing and I used this stuff for months.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No