Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Wild Ginger Moisturizing Lather Shampoo

Not tested on animals

water, sodium cocoyl isethionate, cocamidopropyl betaine, disodium cococamphodiacetate, trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone(Silicone), laureth-4, laureth-23, phenoxyethanol, glycerin, polyquaternium-5, keratin, hydrolyzed keratin, oxidized keratin, hedychium coronarium (white ginger) root extract, polyquaternium-10, hydrolyzed wheat protein, biovlavonoids, citrus aurantium amara (bitter orange) peel extract, camellia sinensis leaf extract, guar hydroypropyltrimonium chloride, citric acid, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, magnesium chloride, magnesium nitrate, fragrance/parfum, benzyl salicylate, hexyl cinnamal, limonene, linalool

on 2/25/2015 8:20:00 AM

This shampoo is a lovely rich shampoo. Smells FANTASTIC but was a little too rich for my fine hair. I think this shampoo would be best suited to someone with thick, dry and corse hair. I also thought for the price of it there was a lot of bad silicones in it.

on 2/17/2015 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've bought this twice and I think I am now done with it. From all of the reviews those who love it have some wave in their hair. I have straight fine hair so this feels heavy on my hair and it seems to build up. I like the scent of it and that it comes in a tube. It is nice to colored hair but it's not great for fine hair.

on 2/8/2015 12:23:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I have long, thick, double processed hair which sees a flat iron more than I care to mention. Normally Paul Mitchell products are super drying and leave my hair a tangled mess. I purchased this shampoo and the conditioning rinse because the reviews were pretty decent. I honestly didn't expect to have too much love for this set because my hair generally likes sulfates and also because of my past experiences with Paul Mitchell products. I can honestly say I am BLOWN AWAY with the results of both the shampoo and the Rinse. I have almost zero frizz and my hair feels so healthy and smooth. It actually feels stronger and healthier than it has ever felt. The smell is ok. I thought I would love the smell better than I do. It is a true ginger smell...but I can't help but to think of chinese food when I smell it sometimes. I will definitely repurchase both the shampoo and conditioner. This formula is HG for my hair!

on 4/14/2014 1:08:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

My hair is waist long, colour-treated about 7 tmes in the past year. Dark brown, medium thickness and texture, straight. Normal skin/hair.

I've used this for about a month now. I really like this shampoo! I hard about it and went straight for the 1000 mL bottle. I got it for about $60, which is EXPENSIVE, especially for a student. I DO have a more expensive shampoo though: the Aquage Silkening Shampoo, which was about... $70... I do like the Maul Mitchell one better though *sigh*. At least, it takes me about a year to finish one bottle, but it can last even longer than that.

What made me buy these super-expensive shampoos are that both are sulphate free. I must say: many people can use shampoos with sulphate, but for me, I lose slightly more hair using them, which is NOT good, as I'm already losing quite a lot of hair for my age. I even have to use treatments to not lose as much. Also, I get less split ends with sulphate free shampoos (but split ends have never ben a big problem for me). Anyway: I have found that I kinda need to go sulphate-free. I have tried Biolage Volumizing Shampoo too (owned by Aquage, I think), which is a cheaper variant. Although it made my hair feel nice, I lost slightly more hair with it than with more expensive Sulphate-free shampoos.

I really like the Paul M. Awapuhi Ginger shampoo because:
1) it smells nice to me: not strong and smells of ginger
2) it's REALLY thick and concentrated - you need very little of it and it will last a long time if used as it should be. Put a small amount: about 2-3 pea sizes in your palm, add a little water, LATHER UP, and massage into hair. Repeat as many times as necessary. Very concentrated shampoos aren't meant to be put straight onto your hair - they might dry it out and unbalance your scalp
3) it balances my hair and scalp: I can go 3 days instead of 2 before I have to wash my hair. At the same time, it doesn't dry my hair out
4) it keeps my hair hydrated and very soft
5) It washes my hair effectively. Notice: I only use hair serum of some kind usually, but it can handle some hairspray too. If I have something like oil treatment in my hair, I mix my shampoo with baking powder for the first wash, while the second is just shampoo. I often follow up with 2:3 vinegar:water to get the pH back down for really silky hair. You can also use a clarifying shampoo from time to time, if you have put a lot of styling products in your hair. I prefer baking powder and vinegar mainly because it works well for me - actually well, not "good for being a natural product"
6) rinses out easily

Cons:
1) Price
2) It doesn't necessarily give much volume
3) If you have very dry hair, you might prefer the Aquage Silkening Shampoo. I know it works well for colour-treated hair too.
4) I don't know how this works for colour treated hair - mine is coloured 7 times, but right now I care little about what colour it is

Basically, this shampoo makes my hair and scalp feel nice :) Is this shampoo all I need? No, I also use conditioner. Also, the water where I live seems to have quite a bit of copper. Copper in the water makes bleached hair take on a greenish colour, so I actually also need a chelating shampoo (chelate = remove metal ions i.e. copper). Otherwise, I really like this shampoo and would buy again. I will update this review after I have finished the bottle.

on 2/21/2014 8:04:00 PM

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Medium

I have relaxed, color-treated Caucasian hair, which I have to manage so it doesn't dry out. I read about this shampoo, and it sounded like it would work for me. It was just okay.

I liked the light scent, and I liked that it lathered well - many sulfate-free shampoos don't lather nearly as well as this. But my hair felt dry after rinsing it out. And the matching conditioner didn't seem very moisturizing. I had to put a hair mask on with the conditioner to get the level of moisture I wanted. So I was underwhelmed at the results. And that light pleasant scent? It disappeared overnight, and my hair absorbed the scent of wherever/whatever I was doing - in my case baking peach muffins. So my hair smelled like peach muffins until I washed it the following day. This also costs more than other shampoos that deliver similar results IMHO. So, bottom line, I would not buy this again. This would probably work better for someone with normal to slightly dry hair.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I purchased this shampoo through my job, and I get a great discount so the price was not an issue for me. I have always had coarse wavy brown hair that I usually straighten with lots of products. I did not notice a large difference using this shampoo (as well as the awapuhi wild ginger keratin cream rinse afterward) the first couple of times. However!! after awhile, my hair is soo silky when I rinse out this shampoo that it feels like I do not need to apply conditioner afterwards. this has never happened to my hair before. I purchased some very nice oils and straightening creams for my hair as well because usually I have to apply multiple products to get my hair silky and straight but now I really dont need very much product. of course something to heat protect, but my hair is always so silky now even when I wear it wavy with no product!

I will say that i DEF noticed more of a difference after using this shampooo EVERY day! I have been using it for almost a month now. I love it.

As far as the product look/smell/texture goes:
it is a white consistency similiar to a lotion. it really does transform in a rich nice lather after rubbing it in the hair. rinses clean. so perfect

on 10/14/2013 12:32:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

I have been using this for a few months really helps damaged hair.

I have fine curly hair. This product line works well for me. I love the smell, it lathers great, and makes my hair feel delightful. A tad expensive, but worth it in my opinion. I'd definitely buy again.

on 9/25/2013 5:18:00 PM

I've gone through two bottles of this shampoo (the big pump bottles) and I think this is a nice mild shampoo. Definitely not as strong as the "Shampoo Two" shampoos. It has a tropical kind of smell which I really liked for the summer time. It was a bit pricy.

on 9/12/2013 7:08:00 PM

I love this product and the whole range. I am a hairdresser so I have tried lots of product that make outrageous claims. This actually helped as I have chemically processed hair I.e bleached and damaged. After using the awaphui and wild ginger range my hair had shine and looked fuller. Love love it.

Popular Shampoos