April 24, 2014 | 1003 users online

Fragrances - Frederic Malle - Lys Mediterranee

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2013 10:53:00 AM More reviews by zeynepd

How strange, how uncomfortable at first and how pleasant at the same time. Lys Mediterranee sits at an interesting crossroads where my established expectations and perspective don’t help me that much. For one thing, the opening is not what I would expect from ‘Mediterranean sea spray mingles with the spicy scent of ginger lilies’ (Frederic Malle website). I get the sultry scent of ginger lilies, my mother had dozens of them in her garden but I don’t get any ‘marine top note’ or a ‘fresh accent’. The initial scent almost scares me because it has the potential to turn too warm and itchy like Angéliques sous a la Pluie. However, the heat leaves itself to a honeyed, summery floral which soon becomes very much like a sweeter L’eau d’Hiver. All these share an angelica note and this note is as dominant as the lilies on my skin. Lys Mediterranee sits in the middle of the two in terms of transparency and as far as the honey goes, it is the most pleasing. Althogether, this is the pure bright heat of Mediterranean on me, somehow reminding me of a thousand forgotten scents from sweet, dry hay to stables even. Sultry but subtle, innocent and animalic. It's strangely pleasing to smell this, but I wouldn't need a full bottle. Good sillage and tenacious lasting power.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2013 6:09:00 PM More reviews by CobraRose

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Snowy lily with just a touch of spice. The most distinctive thing about this is the aquatic touch--this may be the only aquatic note I've experienced that is subtle enough not to make me queasy. It just gives a freshness to the glowing whiteness of the lily. This is not my type of fragrance, but I just had to give it a 5.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/29/2011 10:15:00 AM More reviews by clb97p

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I vastly prefer this to Serge Lutens's Un Lys, and here's why: I think the pure lily notes meld much better with Lys Mediterranee's green, grassy oceanic base than with the vanilla in Un Lys that makes it, at least to my nose, too cloying and overly sweet in the drydown. While Un Lys is like placing your nose directly into a lily, Lys Mediterranee is catching the wafting aroma of lilies while walking along the beach on a spring morning. I generally don't gravitate toward lily scents, but this one is quite unique and wearable. Perfect for spring and summer.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2010 12:31:00 PM More reviews by MoBo

This a really beautiful fragrance, but not one that is an everyday sort of scent for me (for reasons that I'll try to make clear here) so it gets 4 lipsticks (for now anyway). The best way for me to articulate how I feel about this fragrance is to do as others have done here and compare it with Un Lys, another wonderful lily fragrance by Serge Lutens.
First of all, I can't decide if I like Lys Mediterranee better than Serge Lutens Un Lys (which I think I gave a 5 previously, but will probably revise - much time has passed since that review!). I think there are certain aspects of Lys Mediterranee that are better than SL's Un Lys and others that aren't. My overall impression is that this is a really true lily scent, as is Un Lys (but I can't yet distinguish between types of lilies as others have here!). For some reason (and I haven't tried my Un Lys in awhile) I think this one is more intense than Un Lys, meaning that it's not for the shy woman. Perhaps this relates to the type of lily used (ginger/spicy?), but I'm not sure. In any case, you definitely know you're wearing it, as do others. But it's gorgeous so that's ok. I like that it doesn't have the vanilla drydown that Un Lys has and instead has a musk base. I'm not a huge fan of vanilla. But the musk to me still smells kind of sweet and just a little overpowering. On the other hand, I think I might prefer the opening of Un Lys, which, to me is fresh and green (a good thing in my mind!). But overall, there is something about this fragrance that I might like better than Un Lys...perhaps it's the 'aquatic' note others have mentioned here, or maybe it's somehow a more rounded out composition. I don't know... On the other hand, I like that Un Lys feels lighter on me. In any case, Lys Mediterranee (well, both fragrances really) is a must try for a white floral lover and/or a lily lover. I'd own both if I had the money. Lys Mediterranee is great on a cool summer day or evening in my opinion. Lovely.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2010 3:10:00 AM More reviews by ECMac25

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I agree with previous reviewers who describe this to be very authentic to the lily flower, but delicate. It doesn't assault my senses with the heady sharpness that I usually get with white florals. This one is rather airy with a slight salty marine note. Very appropriate for spring and summer and the perfect fragrance backdrop for drives along the coast or walks along the beach. I wouldn't wear this often enough to purchase a full bottle, but I'd definitely keep a decant on hand.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2009 5:29:00 PM More reviews by Wyrmiax

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My problem with this scent is that it's mostly ginger lily, which is too spicy for me. But it is well-done, so if you love ginger lily, I'd definitely recommend it. If I apply just a dot of fragrance, instead of a dab, it is a lovely lily, with a subtle aquatic note--how often do you encounter a well-done aquatic note? I think a full-sized spritz of this would be chokingly pungent, though. Maybe the oil would be easier to apply sparingly.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2009 12:19:00 PM More reviews by emmagreen

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is very pretty, and the lasting power is amazing; my dry skin has a hard time carrying/ (i.e. transporting?) many scents, but a couple dabs of this lasts all day; and yet, it's not at all heavy. I do detect the saline oceanic note, which stays all the way through vs. something gone after the inital poof. However, someone below noted they found it a little too chemical smelling; and i see what is meant by that. It's hard to explain. I find the quality of the Malles v. v. high, and yet by the end of the day there is a trace (on me just a trace) of something "less natural" but for the first seven hours, I feel as if i'm walking along a garden by the sea. V. much worth trying.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/18/2009 1:43:00 AM More reviews by sunflower18

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Green

A lily masterpiece. Imagine a bouquet of fresh cut lily flowers in your home and the beautiful fragrant smell they emit every time you walk by. This fragrance captures that ethereal feminine scent perfectly.
Although there are additional notes such as angelica root and orange flower, make no mistake the lily is the star of this show--with ginger lily, lily of the valley and water lily.
Truly beautiful.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2009 4:50:00 AM More reviews by stephhamilton

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a beautiful fresh green lily fragrance with fantastic staying power, the lily does tend to fade out and it smells almost more like orange blossom as the day goes on but as I like both that's fine by me!It lasts a good twelve hours (I know as i always keep smelling my wrist and smiling when i wear it!) and It smells like walking through the garden at night in summer. Its like carnal flower, its one of those timeless fragrances that make me smile when I wear them.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/13/2008 1:39:00 AM More reviews by botoxic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Lily of the Valley with a slight, softly spicy carnation-like note to it .Warm and sweet, linear--there's nothing spiky, overtly green or jarring about it. A skin-lily, if you will, but very, very white and floral. Probably the best lily scent I've tried. I'm trying to make a nice, romantic picture to complement my review, but it doesn't push any buttons for me. Barney's copy reads, "Ginger lily, angelica root, orange flower and water lily evoke the heat of a beautiful summer evening on the Mediterranean." Oh, I've never been there. No wonder I don't picture anything while smelling it, then. I lack the proper reference point. But I can pretend and say it smells like the floral arrangement in the lobby of a fancy hotel in Portofino. See, romantic, no?