April 18, 2014 | 1868 users online

Pressed Powders - Revlon - Age Defying with DNA Advantage Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/25/2013 8:17:00 PM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Well I'm finally in that age category that focuses my attention toward intensive anti-aging & youth-preserving goals (& unpleasantly visible changes occurring). Of course, you don't have to be "older" to wear this age-targeted makeup, but when I was younger I looked for oil-control instead of moisturization. Now the tables have turned.

This is my new HG powder. I don't wear liquid makeup anymore (although the texture of my skin is changing) because it now emphasises lines around my eyes. So powder would be the only "foundation" I wear. For the longest time I liked Revlon PhotoReady (matte) & recently discovered Benefit Hello Flawless (velvety), but my new love is Revlon Age Defying - it really is luminous as it claims, but not shiny or shimmery. It applies sheerly on my skin (I use a Sephora powder brush instead of the included applicator) & the microfine texture leaves my skin looking silkened without any appearance of powder or makeup. Generally I wear Medium, & will also buy Light for the coming winter season.

It's costly for a drugstore brand (bought mine full-price $14) but it's worth its pricetag. Since I no longer have oily skin that breaks down my makeup by mid-day, a single morning application lasts me all day & doesn't fade away or make me lose that coveted "glow." Luminosity without the shimmer of highlighter & not emphasizing my wrinkles or pores, but rather smoothing them out & minimizing them instead, is exactly what I'm going for! No doubt I'll be trying more "age-defying" type cosmetics from now on. Highly recommend for any complexion that needs a little boost, especially dry skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/16/2012 7:38:00 AM More reviews by lorwayk

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a good powder! I am very fair and the lightest shade looks great on my skin. It mattifies but makes your skin look luminous at the same time. It does not look chalky or too shimmery. I probably will keep looking for something better. No complaints for a drugstore powder!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/22/2012 5:13:00 AM More reviews by lipstik

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Pretty decent powder! I was looking for something to wear on top of my Skin 79 or Missha BB cream and I was waiting to get my NARS powder foundation in Fiji. Didn't have a chance to stop by Sephora so I ran into a CVS and saw this powder on the display. The Light-Medium is good match for my NC25-30 skin and the texture is pretty silky and not cakey or "powdery" like a lot of pressed powders. I use a kabuki brush instead of the flimsy brush that came with it. The compact is large and cumbersome for your purse, like the first reviewer pointed out, but I just keep mine in my home kit. Very impressive for a DS product. Have already purchased a backup compact, so yes, I would re-purchase this.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2012 2:36:00 PM More reviews by Miaoudeminou

I am paler than NC15 in the winter but in the summer I typically get about NC20 (sometimes 25 if I get too much sun). So right now after I got some sun I'm a tiny bit paler than NC20. I bought this powder in Light Medium and so it's a hair darker than what I'm at right now (aka might fit NC20 just fine). But for winter I'd have to pick up Light. There's a huge difference between Light Medium and Light though and while I'm happy it works for me, others might be disappointed. I wish there was a better color selection on this. The packaging itself is decent (gave it a 4) but I prefer compacts vs this bulky thing but I'll get over it. Now I'm actually going to rate the powder compared to others.
Comparing it to Covergirl Fresh complexion powder & L'Oreal Infallible powder this is on par with those. I like the CG one for coverage but it was too pink. I liked the L'Oreal but there wasn't a lighter color. Revlon does and so I'll be able to use it in the winter. I'd say this powder runs more on the neutral-yellow side. If you are pink then go pick up the CG version and you'll love it! Meanwhile I love the Revlon powder 'cause it's what I've wanted in a powder. This doesn't transfer as much, has lighter coverage (I want to say around a light-medium), and looks nice through out the day. I don't have to touch up my face, it barely has that "powder" look to it, and it looks pretty natural. The barely-there freckles on my nose stand out while it covers my large orange-rind pores and makes me look flawless. I am young to be using something called "age defying" but this powder doesn't cake unless you apply too much. Besides the previously mentioned powders (CG & L'Oreal) along with this one, most powders cake like crazy on me. They slide off my nose (Revlon's does not) and make me look older. This barely slid into fine lines but does not emphasize them. I'd say this is a great powder for anyone of any age as long as you don't have a heavy hand or use the "brush" that comes with it (which is a POS). I use my flat top ELF brush and it applies just enough. My face feels silky from this and it'll forever be a good staple to have for a foundation. The only thing that's sad to me is that it transfers. If it didn't this product would extremely close to being HG for me (I'm very picky).
6/13/12 update: Since trying Physicians Formula airbrushing foundation, I'm not sure that any powder foundation can compare. The finish was amazing but color was off. Ugh I just want to find a HG.
6/24/12 update: I stopped using this. It didn't give me the coverage I was looking for and tends to cake.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2012 1:11:00 PM More reviews by Arosci

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Almost at the same moment L'Oreal has launched its Visible Lift Serum Absolute Advanced Age Reversing Powder (which THE powder you must use if you like that gorgeous finish of pure plaster on your face, making you look MUCH OLDER than you are), Revlon has launched its Age Defying with DNA Advantage Powder (which is as marvelous as L'Oreal's one is awful).

This is a an extra-silky, extra-fine powder. It glides over the skin, is easy to pick up with an extra-soft synthetic brush, smoothes skin, pores and fine lines, mattifies without dullness (in fact there's a small amount of micro shimmers in it but nothing obvious, it just gives a tiny hint of glow). The finish is incredibly skin-like.

It doesn't oxidize on my oily skin and controls oil for a respectable amount of time. The coverage is light but because the shades are wonderfully neutral, you can layer the powder to get up to medium coverage without looking fake (unless it doesn't match your skintone). Using a primer like PhotoReady Perfecting Powder, which enhances adherence of powders, allows better coverage too.

The two lightest shades are beautiful : Light is a luminous warm Ivory (I call it that way because it is VERY light) while Light-Medium is a light true beige (without any pink tones).

Light would be the perfect shade for my NC15-20 skintone, but it applies lighter than it is in the pan, making me paler that I am. Light-Medium looks too dark in the pan, but it applies lighter too so it can match my summer skintone.

There's a huge difference between these shades, as if there was a missing shade in-between (the same comment applies to the Colorstay Pressed Powder), so Revlon if you read me, please expand the range of shades.

One bad comment : the packaging is too large, it's not easy to carry it in a small bag for quick touch-ups during the day, and the tiny brush included is too stiff. Also, there's octinoxate which can be irritating on sensitive skins.

Will definitely repurchase.