Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain (All Shades)

on 4/29/2015 11:39:00 AM

I love this stain so very much.

Color: Very pigmented, gorgeous, true to swatches. I have #7 (pink coral) and #43 (red). Perfect everyday colors! They can be applied sheer or built up, although more layers = more shine.

Application: Feels almost oily on the lips when applying. Not sticky at all. I have found the best way to get a stain that does not budge is to only apply a tiny bit on the center of my lower lip, and rub my lips together so it transfers. Then I scrape off the applicator on the side of the container so there is only a wisp of gloss left, and then fill in the rest of my lips. This way I can get a sheer coat of color that is more matte than shiny. Remember, with this gloss less is more!

Lasting Power: A good 6 hours. For me it lasts through light eating, and amazingly does not come off when you drink (ie you can avoid the coffee cup stain). Also does not transfer or bleed.

Packaging: It's smaller than you would expect; the packaging is light plastic which doesn't feel very high quality, but it's gorgeous nonetheless.

Cons:
I find that this stain completely dries out my lips. Although it doesn't dry out my lips when I am wearing it, at night after I remove my makeup my lips are left very tight and dry. This can be remedied by applying a thick layer of balm before I go to sleep, and I'll definitely keep using this stain, but it's something to consider if you have very dry or flaky lips.
Also when it fades (especially during a meal) it will leave a slight ring of color around your lips, which is something to be careful of.

on 4/27/2015 2:57:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I have super-dry and flaky lips so I was really hesitant to get this product at first since it was described as a stain and most stains are very drying. I was given a sample of it by YSL SA after purchasing a bunch of YSL products. I tried #7 in Corail Aquatique and wow...how pleasantly surprised I was to find that not only my lips was in the best shape ever, plump and smoothly hydrated (without any lip balm, serum, conditioner anything else underneath) but the stain also stayed put like almost all day on me. Now, not only that my lips appears almost flake-free but I no longer have to apply tons of balms or lip serum...

I was a huge fan of Dior Creme de Gloss and Lancome Lip Lover before, but now this YSL Glossy Stain is definitely my HG. Currently, I have 3 colors #5, #7, #105. Defly gonna get myself more colors! For those of you with problematic super-dry lips, don't wait any longer just go grab this asap.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

My day to go gloss is not sticky and last the whole day!

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

It started with #107 Naughty Mauve and my collection has grown to include # 5, # 7, and # 9. I love these stains. They are long wearing, very customizable, beautiful colors and are moisturizing. Lip stains are usually the one item I stay away from because lips are dry. This did not dry my lips. My only complaint is that it will enhance any flakes, so it is best to exfoliate and moisturize lips before using this. The applicator is also a bit difficult to work with at first but once you get the hang of it, it will glide on smoothly. A great combo to try is Babydoll Kiss & Blush in # 6 with glossy stain #9. It makes lips look super glossy and intense.

on 11/1/2014 1:01:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Although its more of a stain than a gloss, I'm still in love with this product. It stays on and vibrant all day, which is essential for the brighter colors. Some shades don't have very much pigment, but I got it in bright red and its fabulous.

on 10/5/2014 8:16:00 AM

I really did not like this. My lips do not have much color in them. I got the No. 7. This did not add very much color, which is ok since I like non bold lips, but the feeling of this on my lips is horrible. Goopy. I just feel heavy product on my lips like I bought a super cheap lipstick. I prefer Guerlains kiss kiss lipstick, light weight and lasting and so pretty on the lips, this is the opposite of that.

on 9/20/2014 7:13:00 PM

I am a drugstore, coupon-clipping, sale-awaiting makeup addict all the way, so the fact that I have been able to justify spending more than $30 on one of these little tubes is a big deal. Like best-beauty-product-I-have-ever-used big deal. It glides on smoothly and evenly and shows HIGH pigmentation, which is what I was looking for (I have the shade Bruns Glace).

The sole reason why I will continue to spend a shameful amount of money on this product is the staying power. I've been searching for a deep, oxblood red lip color to wear on nights out for about a year now. I've found tons of beautiful hues, but they all end up clumpy or smudged or in a terrible-looking, uneven fade on my lips. If I have to worry about a product looking messy on me throughout the evening, it's not worth it, no matter how good it looks when I leave the house. YSL glossy stains stay put. Like nothing I've ever seen. By the end of the night there is the slightest fading (but only if I've been eating and drinking) and it is such an even fade to a pretty, subtler version of the color that it looks intentional. Every other lip color and liner I try fades to a horrifying tie dye mess, especially because my lips tend to get dry and chapped with any lip product, especially stains. No problem with drying here.

I don't trust any other lip color anymore. I keep buying them and returning them because it just doesn't feel worth it compared to this. All they need to do is consistently add to the color selection because I would gladly go broke for some more vampy hues in the collection. I whole-heartedly recommend this product to anyone looking for a solid, reliable lip color that lives up to its product description.

on 7/4/2014 12:33:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Red, Relaxed, Coarse

This is my first luxury makeup purchase and my first lip stain. Prior to this, I was suspicious of lip stains because I thought they would be drying to my lips. The YSL Glossy Stain has made me a believer of lip stains LOL.

I have this in #8 Orange de Chine. It goes on watery and the first coat is sheer and somewhat patchy. A second coat delivers the actual shade and adds the perfect amount of shine. It dries to a gel-like, tacky feel. There is little transfer when drinking and eating. While I don't care for the scent(strong rose/alcohol smell), it does fade quickly. It doesn't dry out my lips nor it is irritating.

I find this orange shade to be particularly flattering on warm dark skin tones.
It lasts for HOURS (I applied it at 9:30 AM and it was still on my lips when i took it off around 7 PM). As the shine wears off, it leaves your lips an orange stain. At $35, this isn't cheap, but it is worth splurging for.

on 4/29/2014 3:46:00 AM

I own this product in #11, which is a very classic red. The color itself is great, and the packaging is beautiful and something you'd expect from Saint Laurent.

It is initially very moisturizing and glossy, and seems to have a great staying power. However, as the night goes on, I will start to reapply more and more frequently until my lips feel so stripped of moisture that I simply won't anymore. It does stain a rather persistent color, though.

I've modified the way I wear this color so that I can capture its full advantage. I would first prime my lips with a moisturizing tinted lip balm (I use Fresh Sugar in Passion). Then, I would strategically apply this onto the centers of my lips with my finger. This ensures that my lips are both moisturized and have a long-lasting tint.

on 4/15/2014 4:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Glossy? Yes, and milds itself down to a less sheeny state over the hours.
Staining? Sure, after the gloss wears off and only in darker shades.
Hydrating? No. No no no. If your lips are already chapped, I would not subject your lips to this.

While it's lasting power is intensely amazing, especially for a gloss, I would say it attributes itself in part to its tacky formula. Things with pure slip (imagine lanolin and/or watery based lip products) do not last the same way these do.

Also, I usually like to wipe this off prior to eating because I do not like the goopy feel whilst eating.

So bottom line for me is they do last for quite some time (3-6 hours, depending on color) but are dehydrating. Your lips will feel parched after the day's wear.

A lovely choice for a long wearing glossy/creamy lip. My favourites are #9, which is also one of the firsts I've purchased, and I do also like #18.