Physicians Formula Youthful Wear Cosmeceutical Youth-Boosting Illuminating Face Powder

3.9

ingredients: talc, zea mays(corn startch), dimethicone, nylon 6/12, nylon 12, octydodecyl stearoyl stearate, sodium hyaluronate, ceramide 3, laminaria digatata extract, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, olive glycerides, dimethiconol, magnesium silicate, silica, zinc stearate, tocopherol, benzyl alcohol, caprylyl glycol, dehydroacetic acid, hexylene glycol, phenoxyeyhanol, fragrance, iron oxides.

on 5/19/2015 2:41:00 PM

MAC MINERALIZED SKIN FINISH NATURAL DUPE! Love this powder,gives a natural finish while providing awesome coverage and isnt too chalky looking on the face :)

I love this stuff. I wear this as a light dusting over my final makeup (after blush, before bronzer) and I like to almost "buff" it into my skin with a soft powder brush. Wayne Goss talked about buffing powder into your skin to give it an absolutely flawless look, and I feel like this works really well if you want a bit of glow. Some reviewers mention that it's maybe a bit too shimmery for daytime, but I use it all the time for daytime and I haven't had any moments where I've thought it looked a bit too much. Also, the smell is really nice! Very light floral (not old lady floral) that's soft and does seem to disappear as wear time lengthens.

I bought this because I heard it was a dupe for mac msf . It's a very sheer coverage I only use it as a setting powder , however I feel like in attempt to give that dewy satiny finish that msf has they added gold sparkles in it . I wanted a more everyday Mattish yet dewy finish ( I know that sounds contradictory but msf gives you that finish ) and this one gives a much more iridescent finish . Great for a night out . Overall I'd give it a 4 because it's a bit too shimmery for an everyday product .

on 3/27/2014 7:04:00 PM

Hair: Red, Other, Medium

It's like I have some kind of compulsive disease where I absolutely must buy ALL the Physicians' Formula powders, and cannot even leave the drugstore unless I have checked to make sure I'm not missing one! But that's because they're good products, despite the disastrous packaging.

This one is no exception. I had to experiment a bit with application, because it's a pretty high-coverage powder. I am using a smallish blush brush that doesn't pick up much product (whatever the opposite of dense bristles are, that's what it has). I've been applying this powder on top of the virtually pigment-free Olay Fresh Effects BB Cream, and the look is terrific.

I get some coverage, but not so much it looks cakey. Just enough to even things out and look smooth. The match to my skin color is very good. I can't tell if there are any sparkles or glitter, but my face doesn't look dry or matte, so it's all good. As long as I keep my fingers off my face, it lasts in place for hours.

The packaging, as usual with PF powders, is ridiculously large. You do get a lot of product, but the two-level compact is just huge. I normally toss the brushes that come with these powders, but I've kept this one because it's different. I haven't figured out what to do with it, but it has much shorter, denser bristles than the usual PF powder brushes. It's more like an applicator of some sort.

As for price, PF is expensive for drugstore. But CVS and Rite Aid often have 40% off sales, which brings the price down to ordinary Revlon levels.

on 2/3/2014 5:19:00 PM

This powder is amazing! It's just like Mac mineralized skin finish powder! It gives sheer coverage but perfects your skin! It leaves a glowly/dewy look but it's not tacky! It also smells so nice and while the brush it comes with is not good for applying the powder I love to use it for contouring!

on 3/18/2013 10:59:00 AM

I like this powder but it was too dark for me.

on 11/24/2012 7:13:00 PM

This is going to be a 2-part review.

The Powder

This is an amazingly soft creamy full-coverage powder that I use to touch-up during the day. When traveling, I've even been known to use it as a finishing powder after my makeup, if I don't have my loose powder with me. I sometimes use a thin puff with it. Other times, I'll swirl it on with a kabuki brush, kind of like you do with mineral products. It's excellent. I'll touch up at my desk right after lunch, and it lasts well into the early evening, even through my workout.

The Packaging

The packaging is a complete disaster. It's a 2-part container that's become popular lately with many products. The powder rests inside of a slightly domed lid, and an additional bottom portion opens up underneath to reveal the sponge/puff applicator. While I do appreciate the sponge/puff being included as part of the product, I hate the thick bulky packaging. I suffered through carrying it in my makeup bag for months until the lid's hinge finally cracked from use. I wondered for awhile if I should just depot it and put it in a Z-palette. Today, the powder pan came loose on its own when I opened it. Fortunately, it didn't drop out or break. I love the product, but am very very hesitant to repurchase only because of the packaging. I take off one lippie because of the packaging.

I would, however recommend this powder to anyone looking for a really great touch-up pressed powder.

on 5/12/2012 7:04:00 PM

I was looking for a replacement for my Estee Lauder Aeromatte, and bought this on a whim, even though it's nothing like the EL powder. As soon as I ran my finger across it, I thought, "I'm going to hate this". That's because my finger looked all shimmery.

However, I actually like it. When you use the powder with a large brush (not the silly, useless brush it comes with), it's actually nice powder that doesn't leave you looking like a disco ball. I don't see the shimmer when I apply it with a large brush. It definitely helps foundation and concealer last longer.

The scent is kind of horrible - it smells like the worst old lady perfume, mixed with urine or BO - seriously. However, it's mild and you can only tell if you really really sniff it.

I've been using it every day and am happy with it

on 5/3/2012 3:24:00 PM

The powder itself is wonderful! I hate the brush that comes with it which is the ONLY reason i cannot give it a 5. I immediately replaced it with a powder puff and will continue to use the puff. I am using this with the youthful wear foundation and combined get a great finish. I have large pores on my nose and chin and the powder makes them dissapear while giving my face a glow that is truly youthful. It does not accentuate wrinkles or dry skin at all which i was pleasantly surprised by. Applied in AM over foundation and do a minor touch up mid-day on my nose which is typically oiliest area on my face. Not at all irritating which i find the PF mineral powders to really irritate my skin. I have extremely sensitive skin and this has not bothered me at all. No fragrance in this either which is a plus! Overall i LOVE it! For the price its a steal!

on 4/17/2012 12:02:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Crap, I should have done more research before I bought this. If I'd known it came in a matte version I never would have tried the illuminating! My face is totally covered in sparkles. I can already see it accentuating my pores, and I only put it on an hour ago. The packaging is bulky, and the powder was barely glued in (I popped it out without any difficulty). I'm not fond of the scent, it's a bit old-lady-floral for my liking. (ETA: About 30 minutes after writing this review, I had to go wash my face because the scent was nauseating me!) I can't believe they're charging $15 for this. Thankfully, I only spent $1.25 on it after using coupons. Would not repurchase.