October 21, 2014 | 1986 users online

Powder - Physicians Formula - Youthful Wear Cosmeceutical Youth-Boosting Illuminating Face Powder

rated 4 of 5 on 5/8/2014 6:25:00 PM More reviews by Truthaboutmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this because I heard it was a dupe for mac msf . It's a very sheer coverage I only use it as a setting powder , however I feel like in attempt to give that dewy satiny finish that msf has they added gold sparkles in it . I wanted a more everyday Mattish yet dewy finish ( I know that sounds contradictory but msf gives you that finish ) and this one gives a much more iridescent finish . Great for a night out . Overall I'd give it a 4 because it's a bit too shimmery for an everyday product .

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2014 7:04:00 PM More reviews by eadinsmo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Medium Eyes: Green

It's like I have some kind of compulsive disease where I absolutely must buy ALL the Physicians' Formula powders, and cannot even leave the drugstore unless I have checked to make sure I'm not missing one! But that's because they're good products, despite the disastrous packaging.

This one is no exception. I had to experiment a bit with application, because it's a pretty high-coverage powder. I am using a smallish blush brush that doesn't pick up much product (whatever the opposite of dense bristles are, that's what it has). I've been applying this powder on top of the virtually pigment-free Olay Fresh Effects BB Cream, and the look is terrific.

I get some coverage, but not so much it looks cakey. Just enough to even things out and look smooth. The match to my skin color is very good. I can't tell if there are any sparkles or glitter, but my face doesn't look dry or matte, so it's all good. As long as I keep my fingers off my face, it lasts in place for hours.

The packaging, as usual with PF powders, is ridiculously large. You do get a lot of product, but the two-level compact is just huge. I normally toss the brushes that come with these powders, but I've kept this one because it's different. I haven't figured out what to do with it, but it has much shorter, denser bristles than the usual PF powder brushes. It's more like an applicator of some sort.

As for price, PF is expensive for drugstore. But CVS and Rite Aid often have 40% off sales, which brings the price down to ordinary Revlon levels.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/3/2014 5:19:00 PM More reviews by Giron0922

This powder is amazing! It's just like Mac mineralized skin finish powder! It gives sheer coverage but perfects your skin! It leaves a glowly/dewy look but it's not tacky! It also smells so nice and while the brush it comes with is not good for applying the powder I love to use it for contouring!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/18/2013 10:59:00 AM More reviews by meowcung

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I like this powder but it was too dark for me.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/24/2012 7:13:00 PM More reviews by Viesha

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is going to be a 2-part review.

The Powder

This is an amazingly soft creamy full-coverage powder that I use to touch-up during the day. When traveling, I've even been known to use it as a finishing powder after my makeup, if I don't have my loose powder with me. I sometimes use a thin puff with it. Other times, I'll swirl it on with a kabuki brush, kind of like you do with mineral products. It's excellent. I'll touch up at my desk right after lunch, and it lasts well into the early evening, even through my workout.

The Packaging

The packaging is a complete disaster. It's a 2-part container that's become popular lately with many products. The powder rests inside of a slightly domed lid, and an additional bottom portion opens up underneath to reveal the sponge/puff applicator. While I do appreciate the sponge/puff being included as part of the product, I hate the thick bulky packaging. I suffered through carrying it in my makeup bag for months until the lid's hinge finally cracked from use. I wondered for awhile if I should just depot it and put it in a Z-palette. Today, the powder pan came loose on its own when I opened it. Fortunately, it didn't drop out or break. I love the product, but am very very hesitant to repurchase only because of the packaging. I take off one lippie because of the packaging.

I would, however recommend this powder to anyone looking for a really great touch-up pressed powder.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/12/2012 7:04:00 PM More reviews by Smallonion

I was looking for a replacement for my Estee Lauder Aeromatte, and bought this on a whim, even though it's nothing like the EL powder. As soon as I ran my finger across it, I thought, "I'm going to hate this". That's because my finger looked all shimmery.

However, I actually like it. When you use the powder with a large brush (not the silly, useless brush it comes with), it's actually nice powder that doesn't leave you looking like a disco ball. I don't see the shimmer when I apply it with a large brush. It definitely helps foundation and concealer last longer.

The scent is kind of horrible - it smells like the worst old lady perfume, mixed with urine or BO - seriously. However, it's mild and you can only tell if you really really sniff it.

I've been using it every day and am happy with it

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2012 3:24:00 PM More reviews by azmuslima

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

The powder itself is wonderful! I hate the brush that comes with it which is the ONLY reason i cannot give it a 5. I immediately replaced it with a powder puff and will continue to use the puff. I am using this with the youthful wear foundation and combined get a great finish. I have large pores on my nose and chin and the powder makes them dissapear while giving my face a glow that is truly youthful. It does not accentuate wrinkles or dry skin at all which i was pleasantly surprised by. Applied in AM over foundation and do a minor touch up mid-day on my nose which is typically oiliest area on my face. Not at all irritating which i find the PF mineral powders to really irritate my skin. I have extremely sensitive skin and this has not bothered me at all. No fragrance in this either which is a plus! Overall i LOVE it! For the price its a steal!

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/17/2012 12:02:00 PM More reviews by braisinhussy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Crap, I should have done more research before I bought this. If I'd known it came in a matte version I never would have tried the illuminating! My face is totally covered in sparkles. I can already see it accentuating my pores, and I only put it on an hour ago. The packaging is bulky, and the powder was barely glued in (I popped it out without any difficulty). I'm not fond of the scent, it's a bit old-lady-floral for my liking. (ETA: About 30 minutes after writing this review, I had to go wash my face because the scent was nauseating me!) I can't believe they're charging $15 for this. Thankfully, I only spent $1.25 on it after using coupons. Would not repurchase.

5 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/12/2012 3:53:00 PM More reviews by lux30

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Using this for almost a week. So far so good (as they say). Would prefer to give 3.5 lippies - reason not giving it 5 is because of the sparkle factor (not crazy about that).
Purchased @ walmart for around $12 - noticed a bit of sparkle :( not a fan - didn't deter me, tho, as i noticed that my skin (where this is applied) actually plumps up a a little bit. Call me crazy - but i don't miss a trick. Forehead, temples and around the laugh lines - and my face looks.... a little different. Fuller, younger. Of course i follow a strict regimen of skin care with it. But the addition of this powder and directly after application, after the first few days, i've noticed the change right away. Not permanent of course (touch ups required), and not sure if using this long term will benefit my skin. But i do REALLY like what i'm seeing.

Skin gets oily mid-day (as it always does) - so it's not helping with that. But not breaking my sensitive skin out, either.

We shall see... will update in a month.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by smileandactnice

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I agree with the other posters about Physicians Formula--I have a love/hate relationship with their stuff. Some things are great and others are like, wtf?
I tried this on a whim when I was out of my MM. I wanted a powder to set the drugstore foundation I was going to try. Hated the foundation, loved this powder!
I am a little afraid of it though. I am super super white, so the color in the compact just seems wrong to me, with my fair skin. It seems like it would go on orangey, but it applies easily and blends nicely so I look 'healthy'--not tan, fake, orange or icky. I like to use it like a bronzer to highlight some areas of my face. If I use it all over, it can be a smidge too dark compared to my neck, so I'm careful in applying it.
Oh btw, the brush that comes with it--might I just say, wtf???!! It's hard like something you'd use to trowel grout into your shower! I tossed it and used a fluffy kabuki instead--much nicer.
The packaging is very very cheesy looking. Plus, I know I'm 'old'--I really don't need the makeup practically shouting, "hey old crones, come get this--it'll make you look young again!" Everything on the package is about looking younger or undoing the 'ravages' of time...Not exactly ego-boosting. I didn't feel old and ugly, just like I needed a little perk--but the packaging alone makes me feel bad about myself.lol
It's overall, an interesting product. Doesn't make my oily skin appear more oily or make my pores look huge--It just kinda settles down and makes my skin feel and look nice--glowy, like candlelight.
The price is crazy though! It's like $15 at CVS! For that kind of money, I want a pretty, chic container that doesn't insult me and call me old!haha Like they couldn't have just put it in a classy black container with some fancy PP logo?
So, this is an interesting product that I really like. It works for brightening and making skin look really nice. However the price and packaging leave alot to be desired.
Edit 6/12/12....
Best used to set under eye concealer...no creases and it lightens and brightens--bonus!! If you use it all over, go very very light or you look inhumanly shiny--and orange :( It works best lightly dusted over makeup that's already been set. Use a very very light hand and this can be your new best friend--I've gotten heaps of compliments when I use it. But for Godssake--get rid of that frikkin brush!!! wtf???!!!!

17 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No