March 2, 2015 | 1784 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

rated 1 of 5 on 2/3/2015 8:15:00 PM More reviews by Kittypurrr83

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So apparently if you are allergic to nickel like I am, you should NEVER use Bare Minerals. Unfortunately I did not know this when I purchased some last summer.

Because my skin is super pale with pink undertones, it's a crap fest to shade match, so I was basically wearing whatever foundation I could find that came anywhere near matching my skin color. I wanted to try something else because I had been using liquid foundation, which I HATE because they all contain some form of silicone. Silicones cover your skin and don't let it breathe, sweat, or moisturize itself, so a few hours after putting it on, my skin would completely panic and decide that it was drying out, so it would turn my face into an oil field. NOT SEXY.

So I decided to try to find a foundation without silIcones. Loose mineral foundations seemed to be my best bet. And they really appealed to me since my skin is so sensitive and Bare Minerals's big selling point is that they are natural and gentle! Yay!

I bought some and LOVED it. It felt so silky! It took so much less time to apply! It covered my redness and zits without making me look like a street walker! It evened out my skin tone! It wasn't super expensive! It lasted forever! It didn't smell like an old lady! There was NOTHING I didn't like about it.

Until I got gigantic cystic zits that wouldn't heal for MONTHS.

And the rash that appeared around my nose that eventually produced open blisters.

It took several months for these symptoms to manifest on my previously clear and lovely face, so I didn't make the connection, and I kept right on using the offender.

Once the rash turned into blisters, I went to my dermatologist, who thought it was a staph infection. She tested me and when it came back negative, she told me to use ONLY WATER on my face, and then slowly try using different products to see if they were causing it. I stopped using everything and decided to cloister myself in my room until the rash and zits healed, lest some poor unfortunate person happen upon my unsightly visage. After stopping all the products, my face began to heal immediately. I started to use my soap again, and the rash kept improving. The giver of rashes and zits was not my soap then. So I added my lotion, and still the rash continued to improve. The offender was still unknown.

A week later, I had a class that I needed to go to, and I didn't want to go sporting a disgusting tomato red crusty rash, so I decided that using a bit of Bare Minerals to cover it up would be ok. It's meant for sensitive skin anyways, right? So I covered up all that nasty business on my face and went to my class. Not long later, I realized that my face was REALLY ITCHY. It was like there were hundreds of tiny bugs under my skin and they were all fighting to get out. And then it started BURNING. It was like God had decided to punish me by sending Biblical plagues ON MY FACE. "Screw what people think about me" I thought, and rushed to wash the offensive makeup off my already brutalized face. After washing it off, the itching stopped and the burning subsided quite a lot. After that, I googled the crap outta my reaction and found FREAKING TONS of people who had THE EXACT SAME REACTION.

Apparently Bare Minerals uses a chemical called "bismuth oxychloride", which is a hateful, spiteful, vengeful chemical that makes you feel so pretty and tells you nice things, whille actually sneaking under your skin and destroying your skin and any self confidence you may have had beforehand. It appears that people who are allergic to nickel often tend to have a very bad reaction to this ingredient in makeup.

FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO NICKEL, DO NOT USE BARE MINERALS.

No. No I would not buy this product again.

I'm off to find a different mineral foundation that does not include pain and regret in it's ingredients.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/31/2015 11:40:00 AM More reviews by infinitoria

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Honestly, I had high hopes for this product but I've never been this disappointed in a Sephora purchase. I can see its merits, but it wasn't what I needed. First off, it's a loose powder which makes doing touch-ups while you're out a huge pain compared to a pressed powder/compact. I understand that's an essential aspect of the product so I can't really critique it, but there are other issues, namely that it doesn't last long (compared to similar products I've used). I bought a standard size container and blew through it in under two months. My friend also gave me one in the smaller size because it was the wrong colour for her and that didn't last long, either. I tried hard not to waste it but it seemed to get everywhere despite my efforts.

I have dry skin that's fairly sensitive. I used multiple primers with this stuff, tried applying it to my face under all kinds of conditions, and it just wasn't reliable. After a few hours, it looked caked on, and it didn't wear off in a uniform way...the shine that the powder has made it super obvious when it was starting to come off, and after a night out (or even a regular day) I hated how my skin looked. It was almost like it changed colour, and it settled into any blemishes I had. I also wouldn't recommend this for sensitive skin because of the aggressive buffing motion you're supposed to apply it with.

The price is reasonable (in line with what I'd normally pay for foundation) but I had to give it 3 lipsticks out of 5 because it didn't last as long as I expected.

Maybe shiny, loose powders aren't for me??? Would not buy again.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2015 3:45:00 PM More reviews by RainbowKid18

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this product it has never ever let me down, it makes me look flawless, natural, fresh, radiant its everything I have been searching for. I can only berrate the amount they provide in the pot. For the price you pay I don't feel it is enough

rated 4 of 5 on 1/6/2015 5:45:00 AM More reviews by fmakeup

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I wear this product on a day to day bases as I hate the thought of clogging my skin with heavy foundations unnecessarily. I love the idea of this being so good for my skin, I love their product and brand philosophy and most of all, I love their bronzer! I think this brand is perfect for teen girls getting into makeup as well (though I am not a teen girl!).

The Bare Minerals Powder has been awarded four lipsticks by me.

Pro's: It's guilt free cover, it feels great on your skin, buildable coverage, quick and easy
Cons: I dunno if I am imagining but somedays the colour looks a little pink toned on me and I am not pink toned.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2014 5:04:00 PM More reviews by Makeupbysjh

I absolutely love this product! When I first started using this product, I had really bad cystic acne. Thanks to a great skin care regiment and this product, my skin is completely clear! It matches my skin perfectly. Love love love!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/13/2014 10:50:00 PM More reviews by marquiseazzie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used this for a few months after my HG foundation, Everyday Minerals Original Glo was discontinued (sigh). I'm clog-prone, and hormonal breakout-prone, and dry, AND sensitive, and Everyday Minerals was a beautiful thing for me. I also hate artificial-looking foundations. I'd heard good things about Bare Minerals (oh, the days before I'd discovered MakeupAlley!), and bought it. About a week in, my face - even with regular AHA/BHA exfoliation, proper makeup removal with jojoba oil, toning, benzoyl, and regular peels - developed a million sebaceous filaments. Literally, in each and every pore. I went for a facial and my esthetician was amazed how clogged my skin had gotten so quickly. Also, I realized the powder was causing far more serious PMS breakouts. Then, I saw myself in a well-lit department store mirror and it looked like I'd aged five years. Being 30, I have some small fine lines on my forehead and around my mouth, but they never, ever showed themselves so assertively with Everyday Minerals. And my pores, even while clogged, are generally very small - but this stuff just sunk into every crevasse and stayed all day, making even tiny pores look huge, and feather-light lines look like dry trenches. ... And the dry patches, come winter... oh my God. Flake city. Awful! I've since switched to Bobbi Brown's BB cream and could not be happier (or younger looking... or clearer). If you have anything other than totally even, perfectly-moistutized, 18-year-old skin - avoid, avoid, avoid.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/26/2014 6:05:00 PM More reviews by Adriana2013

I also wanted to try it because of the great reviews and recommendations
I bought the starter pack
I am in my 30s and when I applied it, it makes my facial lines more visible

It is also messy to as the powder from the container is blown away with any slight movement. It takes a while to apply.

I actually threw away all the powders and kept only the brushes

I am pleased with the brushes

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2014 12:49:00 AM More reviews by Valmerc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Very artificial-looking, does not set into skin, cakes, even with (various) primer.
Quite heavy coverage, even with a gentle hand - the powder is quite coarse

The colour does well in some light (from a distance), but under natural light and more blue light (like fluoro tubes/ blue tint) does quite terribly -- looks like a mask.

It is on the cheaper side of cosmetics, but overpriced for what it is. Quite poor quality product, but pretty good packaging.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2014 5:06:00 PM More reviews by MollyAnderson88

I have used this for years, mainly because a lot of foundations breaks out my skin and this never does. It matches my skin tone perfectly, and it is easy to apply if you have a proper technique. What I find is negative about this foundation is that the finish really depends on what kind of skincare you use underneath, and what kind of brush you use. I find that a primer and a light moisturizer is the best to wear underneath, and I actually use a really tiny brush(a mac 217) to apply this foundation. Trust me, forget the Bare Minerals official technique. To me, the tiny-brush technique is way better ;) It takes a bit longer to use this brush, but honestly, to me its the only way to make the foundation look even and blended in to the skin. I use this foundation from time to time because its a perfect color match, and its great if you easily break out. But I think there are a lot of better products on the market, to be perfectly honest. Also, its way to over priced, though it actually lasts a really long time, so I guess its kind of a good investment if you really love it. It is also nice to use as a finishing powder over another foundation if you have dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2014 11:54:00 AM More reviews by buurt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my go to foundation for everyday use. If I were going out I would use a liquid that provides more coverage, but otherwise I use this. The color matches my fair skin perfectly. It can be kind of messy but I prefer this so much more then the ready compact. I feel like this is much more sanitary as well. Another thing is it does not break my sensitive skin out.