October 21, 2014 | 912 users online

Powder - Bare Escentuals - Bare Minerals in 1.2, fairly light

rated 1 of 5 on 8/13/2014 10:50:00 PM More reviews by marquiseazzie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I used this for a few months after my HG foundation, Everyday Minerals Original Glo was discontinued (sigh). I'm clog-prone, and hormonal breakout-prone, and dry, AND sensitive, and Everyday Minerals was a beautiful thing for me. I also hate artificial-looking foundations. I'd heard good things about Bare Minerals (oh, the days before I'd discovered MakeupAlley!), and bought it. About a week in, my face - even with regular AHA/BHA exfoliation, proper makeup removal with jojoba oil, toning, benzoyl, and regular peels - developed a million sebaceous filaments. Literally, in each and every pore. I went for a facial and my esthetician was amazed how clogged my skin had gotten so quickly. Also, I realized the powder was causing far more serious PMS breakouts. Then, I saw myself in a well-lit department store mirror and it looked like I'd aged five years. Being 30, I have some small fine lines on my forehead and around my mouth, but they never, ever showed themselves so assertively with Everyday Minerals. And my pores, even while clogged, are generally very small - but this stuff just sunk into every crevasse and stayed all day, making even tiny pores look huge, and feather-light lines look like dry trenches. ... And the dry patches, come winter... oh my God. Flake city. Awful! I've since switched to Bobbi Brown's BB cream and could not be happier (or younger looking... or clearer). If you have anything other than totally even, perfectly-moistutized, 18-year-old skin - avoid, avoid, avoid.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/26/2014 6:05:00 PM More reviews by Adriana2013

I also wanted to try it because of the great reviews and recommendations
I bought the starter pack
I am in my 30s and when I applied it, it makes my facial lines more visible

It is also messy to as the powder from the container is blown away with any slight movement. It takes a while to apply.

I actually threw away all the powders and kept only the brushes

I am pleased with the brushes

rated 1 of 5 on 2/23/2014 12:49:00 AM More reviews by Valmerc

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Very artificial-looking, does not set into skin, cakes, even with (various) primer.
Quite heavy coverage, even with a gentle hand - the powder is quite coarse

The colour does well in some light (from a distance), but under natural light and more blue light (like fluoro tubes/ blue tint) does quite terribly -- looks like a mask.

It is on the cheaper side of cosmetics, but overpriced for what it is. Quite poor quality product, but pretty good packaging.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2014 5:06:00 PM More reviews by MollyAnderson88

I have used this for years, mainly because a lot of foundations breaks out my skin and this never does. It matches my skin tone perfectly, and it is easy to apply if you have a proper technique. What I find is negative about this foundation is that the finish really depends on what kind of skincare you use underneath, and what kind of brush you use. I find that a primer and a light moisturizer is the best to wear underneath, and I actually use a really tiny brush(a mac 217) to apply this foundation. Trust me, forget the Bare Minerals official technique. To me, the tiny-brush technique is way better ;) It takes a bit longer to use this brush, but honestly, to me its the only way to make the foundation look even and blended in to the skin. I use this foundation from time to time because its a perfect color match, and its great if you easily break out. But I think there are a lot of better products on the market, to be perfectly honest. Also, its way to over priced, though it actually lasts a really long time, so I guess its kind of a good investment if you really love it. It is also nice to use as a finishing powder over another foundation if you have dry skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2014 11:54:00 AM More reviews by buurt

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is my go to foundation for everyday use. If I were going out I would use a liquid that provides more coverage, but otherwise I use this. The color matches my fair skin perfectly. It can be kind of messy but I prefer this so much more then the ready compact. I feel like this is much more sanitary as well. Another thing is it does not break my sensitive skin out.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/12/2014 12:55:00 PM More reviews by purplepolkadots

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

It is difficult to decide whether I like this foundation or not. On one hand I like how light and comfortable it feels on my skin, on the other-hand I find it difficult to get a nice even coverage, at times it can look a little cakey when I try to achieve this. Id recommend a good primer to counteract this or just another foundation to be honest. Bare minerals foundation is not so good in terms of coverage which is disappointing. The packaging is also awkward and the application process is another negative. However, I d recommend it as a light everyday foundation but not for photography, nights out or for people who like full coverage.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/27/2014 6:45:00 PM More reviews by hbeautygirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really really wanted to like this product. I have heard so many great things about this foundation. As many have said, maybe 5 years ago it was amazing, but not anymore.

I have pretty dry/chapped skin especially in the winter. This made my dry spots VERY visible even with a moisturizer and primer underneath. It had little coverage. I have decent skin. I have redness, a few pimples every now and then, and some large pores. I didn't even have that much to cover up yet it didn't even even out my skin tone. I literally tried EVERY way to applicate this stuff. I bought 3 different brushes, tried applying small and larger amounts of the foundation, etc. Nothing worked. I was frustrated to say the least. Some days my skin looked decent and others it looked like i had a powder face on and I had aged 10 years.

On top of these issues, it takes forever to "Swirl, tap, buff". I do not have time in the morning to put primer, foundation, concealer, and mineral veil on in the morning. And having to buff in the foundation for 5 minutes is a nuisance. I would not mind this application process so much if the makeup made my face look presentable. I have no idea what the al the hype is about this product. Returned.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/13/2013 9:18:00 PM More reviews by Fendergrl

The reason why I rated this product one star is because it makes your face look like a porcelain doll. However, bare minerals advertises using this product as a concealer as well. Let me just say I used it to conceal my dark circles and it didn't work at all. I had to use my own separate concealer underneath the foundation, especially on my dark circles. This adds another step to this supposedly "easy, fast application" process. Also, the product will vanish from your skin after a few hours. It doesn't last.

The brushes that come with the kit are horrible. You have to pull the hairs off your face because they will come off the brush as you apply the product. They also get stuck to my eye lashes and in my eyes.

I wouldn't say I LOVE the way my skin looked, but it was okay. It looked soft and porcelain-ish and young I guess. BUT the thing that made me never wanna use this product again , was the fact that after application, my face felt like it was being stabbed by a bunch of little needles and my face became super itchy! I couldn't stop scratching my face!
PLUS, if you take a picture wearing this product, you will look like a ghost. It makes your face look terrible on pictures! I used this product in a formal event where pictures were taken and my face just outshined everyone else's (not in a positive way.)

Also , the product is advertised as not prone to breaking out your skin. This is not true. I developed extremely painful pimples and bumps on my face. They weren't normal pimples , they were hard and you couldn't pop them because they were actually full of blood. This is probably a horrible description but that's the best I can do.

Needless to say , I will never buy this product again. It is horrible for your skin even though its supposedly "mineral make up." $60 down the drain.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/4/2013 9:18:00 AM More reviews by alicebignami

I love how bareMinerals Original foundation evens out my skin tone and covers imperfections without looking obvious. Luckily I am not sensitive to the ingredient bismuth oxychloride so that I have never experienced any irritation. Since I started using this foundation I have actually had fewer clogged pores and breakouts. I find it easy to apply and build up to the desired coverage with a large kabuki brush (an old Chanel kabuki brush that I have owned for nearly ten years). Before applying this foundation I prep my skin with a tiny amount of moisturizer focusing on the drier areas of my face and one pump of bareMinerals oil control primer and I find that this way it feels comfortable and lasts long on my combination skin.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/3/2013 5:21:00 PM More reviews by Vanessamucho

Really didn't like this product.

I tried to go out with this and it looked terrible on me.

Maybe I'm more into just concealer & powder, but this product is thick!

You look like you have makeup on, which defeats the purpose of a natural looking, perfect complexion.

Will not rebuy