January 28, 2015 | 1917 users online

Foundations - Hourglass - Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2015 4:13:00 PM More reviews by itzlina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

THE ULTIMATE HOLY GRAIL PRODUCT FOR OILY SKIN! If you have any other skin type OTHER than oily skin, stop reading right now. Even for combo skin gals, I've heard that the Immaculate is too drying or looks too powdery when applied. But for those with oily skin that you could fry an egg on or have to blot your face with a whole box of tissues in a day, this foundation is made for you! I have never worn a makeup product that could last over 6 hours without melting off or looking shiny without a primer on my skin. It's like magic in a bottle! The first time I tried it, an Hourglass rep at Sephora applied it to my face with Hourglass' kabuki brush. She raved about how amazing it was and that I would name my children Immaculate and Immaculata after using it... yes she actually said that. Crazy as she sounded, she was right about it being amazing, flawless, longwearing, good for the skin due to skincare ingredients, and that my oils will be digested by the kaolinite clay throughout the day. She used half a pump to cover my whole face and the final result was a natural, healthy flawless face. It was medium coverage and I really liked how light-weight it was, it felt like second skin without the grease. The ultimate test was going about my day like normal and after 8 hours, I checked the foundation and it looked just as flawless as when it was first applied. There was a little bit of shine peeking through but it looked more like a healthy glow than the usual oily face. I've been using it for almost a year and have only come across one issue, lack of yellow-tone shades. Hourglass has a lot of pink, peach, beige colors, but only 1 yellow shade (Porcelain) that is very light and pale. I am around NC25 and even at my palest in the winter time, Porcelain makes me look jaundice. It would match NC15 better. The shade I use is called Ivory, but the color is a warm-medium shade and quite peachy. It tends to look a bit orange on me, but in the summertime, it doesn't look that bad. It does oxidize on my skin so at the end of the day, the oompa loompa color is more noticeable. There are 4 other shades in between Porcelain and Ivory that I have tried, but none of them have yellow undertones and look either too light or pink on me. Shell would be the closest match for NC20-25 as it is lighter than Ivory, but it is too neutral for my face as there is no yellow in it. Even though I can't wear the foundation all year round, it still retains it's HG status for me because I have yet to find a better foundation for oily skin that doesn't break me out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/23/2015 2:16:00 AM More reviews by Kelseyrmck

I've tried so many foundations and this one is by far my favorite! It last all day with out getting oily, and its full coverage! I have very light olive/yellowy skin and it works perfectly! It also doesn't bother my sensitive skin. I recommend it to everybody!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2015 12:58:00 PM More reviews by Iris0304

I first want to say I have combination skin. I can be super oily around my T-zone or extremely dry. And I find this foundation to sit well on skin, whether I'm dry or oily. But this is not my go to foundation. I will use it when I know I need full coverage. Like on weekends when I am out partying till the sun comes up. I love that it is matte, I do not get dewy, nor my red under tones do not appear. I also like that a little goes a long way. I use very little and get the right amount of coverage. I have tried this foundation with and without primer, and for me it looks best with primer. The formula is thick and creamy, but it is easy to blend. Since it is thick it makes it a little difficult to dispense from the pump. The product dries inside the pump. I either pump out the dried foundation and use the second pump, or remove the pump and try to get some foundation out. Now the opening to the jar is not big so that is not so easy. This is the only reason why I would not repurchases this foundation. If you like wearing a full coverage foundation every day, I say buy it, why not.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2015 10:06:00 AM More reviews by Pamann

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This foundation is HG status for me. My needs from a foundation are:
~perfect color match
~layers well over sunscreen
~conceals redness
~fills and smooths pores w out caking
~does not accentuate fine lines
~natural looking
~does not cause breakouts

This foundation does all this and more. I use a small(Shiseido)taklon concealer brush to spread the product across my skin and tap lightly w my fingertips to press it into pores. Somehow this product fills pores and gives me a flawless finish w out ever looking caked. Even around my eye zone I can achieve adequate coverage with a light touch and not appear overly lined. My only complaint is the bottles pump. It actually dispenses adequately w out wasting product, it's just annoying when you are close to the end to try and get every last bit out. I use my concealer brush to pull out everything it can reach.
Well worth the expense, IMO
I have repurchased many times and never allow myself to run out. Lifetime staple!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/7/2015 7:04:00 PM More reviews by alyssaann

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This foundation is definitely not for everybody. It's quick drying, EXTREMELY matte and absorbs almost all the oil on your face. That being said, it's a total godsend for people with very oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin such as myself. If I use a primer and setting powder, this foundation will last the entire day in near perfect condition. Compared to other foundations that I've tried, I only have to blot my face a few times over the course of the day and touch up once or twice compared to every hour with past foundations.

My skin seems to love it, I haven't had any adverse reactions to it in terms of breakouts/hives etc. I will say that you have to learn how to put this on. It dries VERY quickly (it's liquid to powder), so you have to work with it quickly and definitely can't go back and reblend spots. I found that a liquid foundation brush works well, but it actually works very well with a beauty blender. The coverage is about medium, it blends and blurs imperfections but I need to use concealer on top of it.

The packaging is beautiful, it's a metal bottle but it's pretty heavy so not totally ideal for travel. Great product overall.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/22/2014 10:17:00 AM More reviews by Anera

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm loving it. It last all day as long (up to 8-10 hr) as you don't touch your face.

I'm someone who has a lot of foundations and doesn't love any of them. I mix my foundations in order to get a create foundation, because either the shade is wrong (mostly they're too orange) or to improve coverage and longevity. I like to mix YSL Fusion Ink with Bourhois 123 BB cream, and Estee Lauder Double Wear or Dior Skin with Bourjois 123 Foundation.

The shade of Immaculate foundation is Shell. The shade is spot-on perfect. It is the most natural pale/light neutral shade I have ever came across. While it does make me look pale, I manipulate very easy with the whole look by adding bronzer, contour and/or blush making me look really natural and 'unmakeuped'. The shade would work really nice on all pale-to-light girls (women, men) with neutral undertones. No pink and no yellow!! There are no dupes in my stash when it comes to this shade. It's lighter than any I have, but it works wonderfully on my skin. Especially now that I haven't got a single hint of 'summer-skin'. It could be similar to MAC Mineralize concealer NW15 (slightly darker).

The application of this foundation can be tricky, no matter what base you apply underneath. I do have a sample of their primer, and it does work good combined. I have tried following: Max Factor primer, The Body Shop Vitamin C primer, Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, Korres Mattifying and Greek Yoghurt primer, but nothing proved to be its best pair. I will try out Benefit Porefessional - if it works, I'll update the review. The problem lies in its drynes. While it's creamy and spreads nicely, when buffing all the dryness comes out. If you have any dry, flaky parts they'll be accentuated. So, if you use something that is dehydrating your skin (bezoyl peroxide, AHA or BHA) you may encounter problems with this foundation especially. But, this is not a cons! Since the foundation dries to dry-to-touch, it is something worth mentioning. The foundation is best applied with a BeautyBledner then with a kabuki brush. Worst application I got with fingers, but that's just me. You should start with applying a smaller amount and then gradually add more where more coverage is needed. Still, a concealer shouldn't be skipped if there is need for one! The foundation erases all redness and acne marks with just one layer leaving you with MSBB! It's unbelievable how natural yet covered everything looks. Just like an eraser, this foundation removes any scars and redness, leaving you with naturally good skin. Enlarged pores are minimized, but present. With a hint of beautifying powder, my skin looks radiant.

The lasting power is average, which is kind of disappointing since it is stated it is a long wearing foundation. I do get 8 hours of wear time, but if you ask me for a long wearing foundation, I would still recommend Prolongwear or Double Wear (depending on the shade).

The foundation is really nice and currently I don't have any bad feelings toward it: it is my perfect shade, it doesn't look cakey, one layer is light yet covering, the wear is decent and it doesn't dry out my skin. Still, if I will repurchase, time will prove.

The real negative thing I have about this foundation is its price here in Europe: it cost US$80 + US$15 shipping which makes it one of the most expensive foundations on the market. I haven't encountered a single shop who physically sells it, but I doubt it would be less than $80. Those in the US are 'lucky' the foundation is in the range with Dior and other HE brands. The salaries in EU aren't overwhelming making this foundation a special occasion one from the HIGH high end section.
I bought it in US and use it here-and-there, when I feel special.

Conclusion: This foundation is nothing new and there are no special claims to it. Despite limited shade selection, I did find my perfect winter shade! The foundation dries dry-to-touch, is non-transferable and doesn't have any tacky feeling to it. There is no special need for any additional powders, except beautifying ones if you wish. The wear time is average being 8+ hours. The sebum control is average, too, being 4+ hr. The selling point of this foundation is the coverage you get with only one layer which results with a natural yet polished face. The only negative of this foundation is the price in European online stores.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2014 5:13:00 PM More reviews by Plaintiger

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This foundation was worth splurging on for me, after I tested it at Sephora. I love the mattifying effect and the medium coverage even in hot Summer days. It's a bit heavy for Winter for me. I used to use Beauty Blender but it absorbs/wastes too much product so I switched to brush. Be sure to apply quickly with buffing brush before it sets. I would've stayed with this product (I used two bottles in NUDE--sadly it's just a touch too pink for my Asian skin tone) if not for a better colour match with Lancome Teint Idole.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2014 3:00:00 PM More reviews by iloveurbandecay

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

It is the most expensive foundation I own, and it is also the best. I have many good foundations, but none like this. It's magic. You can wear primer and moisturizer and look flawless for a night out, or you can literally just swipe some right from the bottle over your face and run out and do errands. This foundation can do anything. It's absolutely amazing. The coverage is perfect, and it disappears into my very pale skin (I bought the lightest colour).

I don't use this everyday because of the price, but I notice such a huge difference when I use this after several days using other prestige and/or drugstore foundations.

There is nothing like this, and the fantastic pump packaging makes sure you never waste a drop.

A miracle product. Can't stress it enough. PLUS IT IS CRUELTY FREE!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/12/2014 2:25:00 PM More reviews by BluePlastic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is just okay. Part of my problem is that I have slightly the wrong color. I have Porcelain, which I can make work but is slightly too dark and slightly too yellow for me. I think I need Pearl but was thrown off because it looks more pink.

Anyway, on to the product itself. I find that it goes on very smoothly. Have not had any problem with dry patches showing up except, ironically, on my very oily nose, which is weird. I have a very oily T-zone. I just slap some moisturizer on before the foundation and everything seems to be okay. Yesterday I forgot to use a primer and it still went on smoothly. It actually had a very good finish on my cheeks at the end of the day, not cakey or patchy, not accentuating my pores.

This foundation dries faster than any other long-wearing foundation I have ever tried, and that's saying something. You have to work very quickly with this stuff. It dries almost instantly to a powder finish. It's probably best to put any concealers or other cream products on BEFORE this foundation. I haven't experimened with this yet, but I have a feeling most cream products are not going to go smoothly on top of this powder-finish foundation.

To me this foundation is not at all full coverage. You're going to need a very good concealer to go with this if you have issues like I do. There isn't much of a chance to build this foundation to fuller coverage. It just dries too fast and hard. I prefer a fuller coverage. This might be a weak medium coverage. Also, for something that is touted as being "immaculate" and not needing touchups, I find that my nose does get somewhat shiny. And this is during the cooler months, so during the summer when my skin is oilier, I'm sure I'll need touchups.

I don't notice the supposed paint smell. To me, original Revlon Color Stay has much more of a paint smell than this does.

Overall, because this foundation isn't full coverage and doesn't live up to the "no touchups" claim (IMO), I probably wouldn't buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2014 9:00:00 PM More reviews by Deviationize

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

"Weird" is the first thing that pops to mind when considering this foundation. I've tried dozens of foundations, drugstore to high end, and have never seen one like this. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.

A Sephora employee recommended it to me because my main goal was to cover my hyperpigmentation scarring on my cheeks. She said that it was not only full coverage, but that it was supposed to actually reduce the scarring over time. She colour matched me and I was good to go. (I should mention that the colour is perfect, which is something I rarely find in a foundation because I'm so pale.)

The first thing I noticed about the foundation was its consistency. It's not quite liquid, but it's not exactly mousse either. I applied it with a damp Beauty Blender, and it went on my skin with no problems. When I tried to build up the coverage, however, my skin looked like I had dry patches everywhere, when in reality I have very oily skin. No matter how I applied it, be it with my fingers, a sponge, or a brush, it simply layers unevenly and terribly patchy.

Now, I also didn't want to give up on it, so after many months of experimenting, I found the perfect way to use it. I mix it with even parts of MUF's Mat Velvet, and a tiny bit of Lancôme's Ultra Teint Idole foundation. For me, it's the perfect colour, consistency, and finish; everything I want but can never find in a single foundation. But, as a foundation on its own, it simply doesn't work for me. The first layer applied fine, so if you're someone who doesn't like or need to build up coverage, then you might like this one. As for longevity, it does last throughout the day, and it never made me overly oily when I wore it on its own.

The packaging is beautiful, as it should be for the heavier price. It is also lightly (but not unpleasantly) scented, so that's something to consider if scent bothers you.

All in all, I would never use this foundation by itself again. If you're someone with already dry skin, definitely pass on this one, because it only accentuates dry patches. If you are someone who wants one foundation to do it all, again, I don't think this is the one. Considering the price tag, you can most likely find a cheaper foundation that can do a better job on its own.

That being said, I adore it when using it in combination with the aforementioned foundations, and would definitely repurchase it for that reason.