December 19, 2014 | 1474 users online

Foundations - Hourglass - Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2014 5:13:00 PM More reviews by Plaintiger

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This foundation was worth splurging on for me, after I tested it at Sephora. I love the mattifying effect and the medium coverage even in hot Summer days. It's a bit heavy for Winter for me. I used to use Beauty Blender but it absorbs/wastes too much product so I switched to brush. Be sure to apply quickly with buffing brush before it sets. I would've stayed with this product (I used two bottles in NUDE--sadly it's just a touch too pink for my Asian skin tone) if not for a better colour match with Lancome Teint Idole.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/12/2014 3:00:00 PM More reviews by iloveurbandecay

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It is the most expensive foundation I own, and it is also the best. I have many good foundations, but none like this. It's magic. You can wear primer and moisturizer and look flawless for a night out, or you can literally just swipe some right from the bottle over your face and run out and do errands. This foundation can do anything. It's absolutely amazing. The coverage is perfect, and it disappears into my very pale skin (I bought the lightest colour).

I don't use this everyday because of the price, but I notice such a huge difference when I use this after several days using other prestige and/or drugstore foundations.

There is nothing like this, and the fantastic pump packaging makes sure you never waste a drop.

A miracle product. Can't stress it enough. PLUS IT IS CRUELTY FREE!!!!!!!!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 12/12/2014 2:25:00 PM More reviews by BluePlastic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This product is just okay. Part of my problem is that I have slightly the wrong color. I have Porcelain, which I can make work but is slightly too dark and slightly too yellow for me. I think I need Pearl but was thrown off because it looks more pink.

Anyway, on to the product itself. I find that it goes on very smoothly. Have not had any problem with dry patches showing up except, ironically, on my very oily nose, which is weird. I have a very oily T-zone. I just slap some moisturizer on before the foundation and everything seems to be okay. Yesterday I forgot to use a primer and it still went on smoothly. It actually had a very good finish on my cheeks at the end of the day, not cakey or patchy, not accentuating my pores.

This foundation dries faster than any other long-wearing foundation I have ever tried, and that's saying something. You have to work very quickly with this stuff. It dries almost instantly to a powder finish. It's probably best to put any concealers or other cream products on BEFORE this foundation. I haven't experimened with this yet, but I have a feeling most cream products are not going to go smoothly on top of this powder-finish foundation.

To me this foundation is not at all full coverage. You're going to need a very good concealer to go with this if you have issues like I do. There isn't much of a chance to build this foundation to fuller coverage. It just dries too fast and hard. I prefer a fuller coverage. This might be a weak medium coverage. Also, for something that is touted as being "immaculate" and not needing touchups, I find that my nose does get somewhat shiny. And this is during the cooler months, so during the summer when my skin is oilier, I'm sure I'll need touchups.

I don't notice the supposed paint smell. To me, original Revlon Color Stay has much more of a paint smell than this does.

Overall, because this foundation isn't full coverage and doesn't live up to the "no touchups" claim (IMO), I probably wouldn't buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/26/2014 9:00:00 PM More reviews by Deviationize

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

"Weird" is the first thing that pops to mind when considering this foundation. I've tried dozens of foundations, drugstore to high end, and have never seen one like this. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with it.

A Sephora employee recommended it to me because my main goal was to cover my hyperpigmentation scarring on my cheeks. She said that it was not only full coverage, but that it was supposed to actually reduce the scarring over time. She colour matched me and I was good to go. (I should mention that the colour is perfect, which is something I rarely find in a foundation because I'm so pale.)

The first thing I noticed about the foundation was its consistency. It's not quite liquid, but it's not exactly mousse either. I applied it with a damp Beauty Blender, and it went on my skin with no problems. When I tried to build up the coverage, however, my skin looked like I had dry patches everywhere, when in reality I have very oily skin. No matter how I applied it, be it with my fingers, a sponge, or a brush, it simply layers unevenly and terribly patchy.

Now, I also didn't want to give up on it, so after many months of experimenting, I found the perfect way to use it. I mix it with even parts of MUF's Mat Velvet, and a tiny bit of Lancôme's Ultra Teint Idole foundation. For me, it's the perfect colour, consistency, and finish; everything I want but can never find in a single foundation. But, as a foundation on its own, it simply doesn't work for me. The first layer applied fine, so if you're someone who doesn't like or need to build up coverage, then you might like this one. As for longevity, it does last throughout the day, and it never made me overly oily when I wore it on its own.

The packaging is beautiful, as it should be for the heavier price. It is also lightly (but not unpleasantly) scented, so that's something to consider if scent bothers you.

All in all, I would never use this foundation by itself again. If you're someone with already dry skin, definitely pass on this one, because it only accentuates dry patches. If you are someone who wants one foundation to do it all, again, I don't think this is the one. Considering the price tag, you can most likely find a cheaper foundation that can do a better job on its own.

That being said, I adore it when using it in combination with the aforementioned foundations, and would definitely repurchase it for that reason.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/5/2014 6:49:00 PM More reviews by ambercriedwolf

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I went to Sephora and they used that device on me to match my skin tone with the perfect foundation. They said my perfect match was this foundation in the shade "Porcelain". And they were right. It matched my skin tone so well, which is something I liked about it.
When I first applied this, it felt great on my skin (though it had a paint smell). However, once it dried, I did not like it at all. I think this is the first foundation i tried that applies liquid and very literally dries to a powder. It looked very gritty and powdery up close and let me just say, it photographs terribly.
I will say that I used a setting spray once after applying this and it helped a bit with the powder look. Also, the coverage is pretty amazing. However, I won't be buying a full sized bottle of this.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/5/2014 6:29:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

It took me a while to write this review, and many many samples and finally a splurge on HSN that another reviewer tipped me off about (the foundation + veil mineral primer (small) for same price as the foundation alone at sephora, plus an extra 20% off). Well I'm completely enamored with this stuff! It's really unlike any other foundation I own. And I own *a lot*. It's a fluffy liquid in a pump that melts into your skin undetectably and dries instantly down to a matte but not quite 'powdery' finish - I am loathe to use the word powdery as that evokes an unpleasant Cakey image in my mind. Work in sections on very moisturized (& ideally primed) skin. I just use my fingers as not to waste precious expensive stuff that a sponge or brush may soak up. I'll try the beauty blender and various brushes eventually. I do not powder over this! No need. Coverage is light/medium light. I like to use my mercier undercover pot with it. Stays put all day long without that weird mottling and separation that always happens on my nose eventually with any foundation even if I review it favorably at first - I really need to edit some reviews :p I use 'nude' and I wear warm beige in bb, mac NW/NC 20-25. I like to use yellowy foundations to counteract redness and nude is a solid yellowy light-medium tone. It's maybe a teensy tad dark but no one would ever notice but me, and the shade down was too light and pink. No need to add more pink here. That's why I say nw/nc... I AM nw but WEAR nc. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, yes I am a convert, perfection for my combo skin. Moisturize well and dry patches won't be a problem. And less is more. If you need so much coverage and wana layer it on, look elsewhere as this will just look bad unless used with a light touch.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2014 5:42:00 PM More reviews by Ferrishyn

I really loved the way this looked on my skin and how it felt & how it performed; well over 13 hours without breaking down what-so-ever. My main problem with this is the formula and how it applies; I cannot stand it.

I understand this is a liquid to powder but this sets so fast you have a very tiny window in which to spread it out. If you don't, it becomes cakey and will come off in patches. BTW, do not put concealer over this, put it under. I learned the hard way and the concealer never blended in and stood out.

If you can deal with this, you might like this and how flawless it looks.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/1/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by riceisnice

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I heard a lot of good things about this foundation controlling oil so I thought I would give it a try. I've been using it for about four months now, so I think I'm ready to share my experience.
Colour wise, I find the colour selection to lean a little orange, but it's not too noticable. I wear the shade shell, although I think porcelain would work as well.
I apply this by using the Sephora #85 brush in circular motions. Usually I will use from half a pump to two pumps, working in sections. Sometimes I wear primer, but I always moisturize first. Without applying a moisturizer first, this can look patchy over dry spots. It also dries very quickly, but it dries to a powder finish so you can still blend it in. I usually set it with translucent powder, or sometimes I won't set it at all.
In terms of coverage, although they market it as medium buildable, it's quite sheer. I don't mind the coverage being sheer, as I wear this for the finish it gives my skin: satin. My skin looks more even and smoother, and that's fine by me; I'm not looking for high coverage.
I apply my makeup at about 8 am and remove it between 5 pm to 8 pm. The coverage will still be the same, although sometimes it'll oxidize a little bit (nothing noticable). Sometimes it'll move around a bit where my glasses sit, but aside from that, it remains intact.
With oil control, my skin will be dewy by the time I remove my makeup. Although my entire face will be dewy, it doesn't look like I'm oily. If I don't wear any makeup (just moisturizer) my skin will be extremely oily (think your hands right after you've rubbed in hand cream), so this is considerably better. If I decide to blot, I will blot around mid day and in the afternoon. I use one to two blotting sheet per time.
I find that wearing this without primer or setting powder helps to dry out my acne; by the end of the day, my blemishes will have reduced in size.
I don't love this foundation (especially for the price) so I woouldn't buy it again.
If you're thinking about getting this foundation, try it out first before you commit. Test it out to see if the shade matches you (in different lightings, this can be deceiving) and if you like the finish.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2014 8:11:00 PM More reviews by mxxlu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I bought this foundation because I have acne-prone/oily skin, and the product claims to have had clinical studies which showed 80% of participants saw reduced/improvedacne after using this. The matte finish claim also sold me.

COVERAGE:
Since it is a foundation made for acne-prone/oily skin individuals, I would expect the product to give full coverage; but it doesn't. At most, it is medium coverage. It's buildable, yes--but not to the point of full coverage. I can definitely still see some current zits/hyperpigmentation scars showing through after applying this.

FINISH:
It really does dry to a matte, powder finish as promised, plus it keeps my oiliness at bay throughout the day. However, applying it is not as simple as most foundations. It's very easy for the product to get patchy around dry spots on your face; or if you don't let your moisturizer/primer sit and seep into your skin first before applying the foundation. You have to allow at least 10 mins between prepping/priming your face and applying this foundation otherwise the product comes off as little chunks on your fingers as you apply it. (Note: they recommend applying the product with your fingers for the "best result," sponges are not recommended.) If you apply it properly, the finish looks like a matte powder foundation, not exactly natural/skin-like, but not cakey either.

STAYING POWER:
Terrible. Claims to be a breakthrough formula that delivers long-lasting wear. Well, it definitely doesn't. The product easily comes off your face as the day progresses, if you even rest your hand on a small area of your face, the product will come off. It is patchy by the end of the day, primer helps ever so slightly.

OVERALL:
A very expensive foundation with no value whatsoever. All claims are left undelivered except for one (matte, powder finish). The only other upside is that there is a large range of colours to choose from. I didn't see any improvement in my acne in using this. There's not much coverage or staying power. The price is NOT justified by any means, I would discourage anyone from buying this based on my experience. Might work for someone with really oily skin, who's not on a budget.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/21/2014 6:50:00 PM More reviews by dilemmalyn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had a very bad reaction with my combination skin. I have an extremely oily t zone and normal elsewhere. Within an hour of putting this on (after the Hourglass primer) I felt a drying, prickling sensation on my cheeks. I couldn't get home for hours. By the time I got home and washed this off my cheeks and chin were pink with a rough flaky texture. Almost like a mild chemical burn.

My oily T zone however did look matte and fantastic. So I would be very wary of using this unless your entire face is very oily.

I wouldn't say I have sensitive skin as I have never had this reaction with anything before. So I could just be allergic to one ingredient in this.