December 20, 2014 | 831 users online

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2014 11:07:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Essence Get Big Lashes! Volume Mascara

The Good:

Love the brush! It's medium-big, round with tapered ends, bristle (not plastic) and great for building and picking up lashes without creating clumps or stickiness.

Pigmentation is decent; a good, standard black.

Formula is wet, which I like, and is not clumpy or crumbly. Dries on quickly, isn't crunchy, provides a decent bit of volume and length.

Lasts well without flaking or smearing, yet washes off easily.

Price is great at $4<.

THE CAVEAT:
It stung my eyes and made them water. I'm not usually mascara/eye sensitive at all but something in this formula really irritated my eyes. So while it's a good overall mascara, beware that it may cause the same issue for you. But if it doesn't, then for $4, you'll do alright with this one. As for me, I cleaned the brush to use it with another formula since it really is that good.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2014 6:39:00 PM More reviews by DezineOptional

This review is actually for the Essence Get Big Lashes Volume Curl Mascara (I couldn't find it on the site).

Seriously...Holy S**t! I bought this today because I figured for $3.99 CAD I couldn't really go wrong. If it sucks, I haven't burnt a hole in my pocket. If it's great then I've just saved myself $9 on my mascara purchase. Well...let me tell you that I am completely shocked! This stuff is golden! The formula is just wet enough that it's got incredible colour payoff, yet tack enough that it's not goopy or clumpy. I put on two coats, and have absolutely no clumping whatsoever. It does exactly what it claims to do...build volume and curl PLUS...it also lengthens. The bristles are so tightly packed in the curved synthetic brush, that they grab the lashes from the root and give the ability to wiggle back and forth while applying the product (in my opinion, this is the best way to apply mascara to get volume and coverage).

I'm pretty sure, I've just found my new favorite mascara and I don't have to spend more that $4...what more could a girl ask for!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2014 7:12:00 AM More reviews by HottSauce

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

What a steal! One of the best or the best mascara I've ever tried and it's from Essence! For 3 Swiss Francs! Someone recently posted a review on this and, I laughed. So for a few coins, of course I would try this! I expected clumpy, dry, rock hard, droopy lashes, with lots of irritation. I bought this, applied on bare lashes(also curled) the Results: LONG, thickened, black lashes with hardly any clumps. Impressive!!!! But how do they fair throughout the day?! They stayed, curl and all. Can also be layered which many mascars cannot hold up to. I am a snob when it comes to makeup and I do prefer high end. I will never choose high end mascaras ever, especially after this one. The packaging is cute and kitchy and that doesn't bother me. Give this a chance! Really and very impressed!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2014 12:34:00 PM More reviews by darthodis

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

I like the applicator brush on this mascara, I usually prefer rubber applicators but this one is really nice and works great for evenly applying product on my lashes. It's great for adding volume, but does nothing for length what so ever. Stays on all day, does not smudge or flake on me and it's a matte black finish. Holds a curl.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2014 5:33:00 AM More reviews by nelehhx

Just to clarify - this is for the WATERPROOF version. The blue tube ;)

I have stupid eyelashes. They are short, and stupid, and I hate them. I don't have any problems with volume, because I've got a heap of 'em, but many mascaras couldn't hold a damn curl if their lives depended on it, and I'm used to looking like I have NONE.

This stuff holds a MAD curl. You can actually SEE my eyelashes. They are defined and lovely - and the stuff is like $4, sheer insanity.

However - I'm quite the drama queen. I like having super dark lashes, and this does clump a bit when it's layered too much. So what I often do, is use this stuff as a base coat, and go over it with another mascara that is as black as my soul.

Voila - big, black lashes. You're welcome.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/31/2014 4:29:00 PM More reviews by subahe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I did not like this mascara, because it flaked a lot on me. When I bought it, I was expecting it would give a lot of volume to my lashes, but I only got to use it three times, because it flaked so badly. Before buying it, note that the brush is really big. The tube is really big, you get 12 ml/0.40 fl. oz. for 3-4 euros.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/29/2014 11:49:00 AM More reviews by annacaccia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really liked this mascara and it gave me great lashes. The only problem is that the wand is too bit for my eyes so after all I won't purchase it again

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/25/2014 4:20:00 PM More reviews by makeupjunkie11786

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Gotta give credit where it's due and essence deserves it! for being pretty cheap pricewise, they have a nice and decent line of cosmetics. I love their eye shadow pans and was in need of a waterproof mascara for my days where I wear contact lenses, since I use rewetting drops throughout the day. I usually wear bare escentuals flawless definition waterproof mascara. But it is a little pricey, especially when waterproof mascaras tend to dry out much faster than regular formulas no matter how much you try to preserve them. They say to switch mascaras every 3-6 months and I believe with waterproof mascaras you'd be lucky to pass the 3 month mark without starting to get clumps from the tube drying out. As I had stated earlier, I am a fan of some other cosmetics of theirs so I decided to give this mascara a try. I had just tossed a tube of my bare minerals and didn't feel like spending $20 bucks for a tube. I stumbled across this product at ulta and bought it for a mere $3-4. I was pleasantly surprised with the results. It gave my lashes nice volume that was a little more than natural. Just the right amount of oomph. Nothing like having eyelash extensions or anything, but I liked that it gave a wide eyed look that was more than just a natural look. It went on nice, not too wet and not too dry in my experience. It lengthened decently with lots of volume like I said earlier. It withstood the sweat and tears from my rewetting drops and at the end of the day also washed off pretty easily so for the price paid I would say its very much worth it if you're looking for a decent waterproof mascara on the cheap. Only cons? Being an oversized brush the wand does tend to pick up a little more product than needed, but if u dab the excess with a tissue beforehand you'll be fine. Another con? it dried out rather quickly in the tube but I do believe its because it is a waterproof formula so they're all prone to doing that overtime. and the tube although cute was rather chunky so it was a bit bulky to take along in my makeup bag. Hence why I gave it 3 lippies and not 4, but Aside from that bottom line, I would consider repurchasing and recommending this product

rated 4 of 5 on 8/9/2014 8:57:00 PM More reviews by CraftyCanuck

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

My usual mascara is either Avon Supershock or Cover Girl Lash Blast Volume. While shopping at Shoppers Drug Mart one day, I remembered reading about the Essence Mascara on Makeup Alley, so thought I would give it a try given the price!

I like this mascara! It is quite 'wet' as other individuals have mentioned, so the key is to take it slow and not rush your layers. I find if I comb out my lashes, when they are almost dry between layers, helps a great deal. It has a very full brush, unlike some of the sparse plastic models some mascara contain. I could see that being a problem, if one is not use to a brush that holds a lot of mascara.

*Tip* - I always wipe my brush on a clean paper towel prior to applying. Do Not use a tissue or bathroom tissue, as those leave fibers. It helps eliminate the mascara being too wet and causing clumps. I learned this from an episode of Oprah, that featured Cindy Crawford..have been doing this for years! *

I am used to the full brushes with the Supershock, so do not find it an issue. I also have not experienced any flaking, but there again, combing through may help as well. For the price, this is definitely a keeper for me!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2014 11:00:00 PM More reviews by billie44

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Such a good mascara if you don't have much volume to your lashes already. So black, makes my lashes look so full and long! Only problem is it's difficult to build up without looking too much, maybe thats just me though haha overall such a good mascara