November 26, 2014 | 1700 users online

Lotions/ Creams - AmLactin Moisturizing Body Lotion

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by misssweetmarie

Amlactin is one of those rare gems you find at the drugstore. I am a body lotion freak and have used many brands at a variety of price points. Yes Amlactin is a bit pricey compared to other drugstore brands, however the quality is right up there with some Rx brand lotions. You cannot compare the outcome that this product produces on your skin to other drugstore brands. This is frequently recommended by dermatologists for a reason. It works. The 12% lactic acid is a gentle exfoliant which with continued use will provide a smoother skin surface and a very moistened skin. It works great on feet to prepare for the very important pedicure season.
It is true it is not a finely scented product and has it's own 'natural' smell. If you are someone who must have a delicious fruity, floral, woodsy or other type of smell in your body products this is not for you. I use it for results and the (offensive to some) smell does not stick with you. You are free to use any other perfume, etc you choose after this is absorbed so no big deal.
I frequently add some oil to my Amlactin before massaging into my skin (almond oil, jojoba, meadowfoam, anything I have!) I like to play chemist!!!!
This is a great product if you care about long term care of your skin. As recommended by my esthetician I have used it overnight on my face and it provides a nice finish, probably due to the gentle overnight exfoliation. That was a shocker as I'm a major skin care product snob.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/20/2014 10:58:00 AM More reviews by Deserts

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

I bought it because I heard it helps KP. I don't know if it's because I didn't use it persistently like I should or what, it didn't help much. And it's hard to absorb, kind of greasy, and it's got an awful smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/11/2014 12:15:00 AM More reviews by bkurant

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

in one word - amazing !!!
this lotion really works, which is much more than i can say about 99.9% of lotions sold at drug stores. i keep reading reviews, buying different lotions and they all fail to deliver. not this gem.
it contains 12% lactic acid, so exfoliation is gentle even for sensitive skin and the results are fast, without irritation (as long as you keep it away from cuts, scrapes or freshly shaven skin). that's for the good stuff.
now the bad: the smell is horrible, just awful. it has no fragrance added, which normally would be a plus and something i would be so happy about. this is the one and only lotion i wish has some natural fragrance added, just to cover the stale, suffocating cat-colony-piss smell. not only that, it takes sometime for the smell to disappear. it lingers and lingers and lingers ...so, i tollerate it as much and as long as i can and let the lotion sink into my skin. then, i use a very thin layer of my favorite l'occitane body milk over amlactin. ah, i can inhale now :)
anothe thing to keep in mind - this lotion is thick and sticky. interestingly enough, it stays sticky for a long time on some parts of the body (hands, arms) and yet absorbes quickly on others, leaving skin soft and oh-so-smooth...
price is high for a drug store brand. i.e. cvs is selling a little bottle of just 7.9oz for $16.99. ouch $17 dollars before tax :(
so far, i've been using it only during cold, dry winter months and results are spectacular. hopefully, it will perform as well during hot and sticky summer months.
higly recommended for anyone with dry, sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2014 2:56:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

AmLactin is yet another product I never, ever would have found if it weren't for MakeupAlley. I honestly don't understand why all the beauty magazines don't write about and promote half the products that the gals here know about but I digress.

I'm biracial and my skin, which is tan, exists solely to give me problems. If one area of my skin looks decent, another will freak out. I live in the Gulf Coast area of Texas which means I'm basically living in a huge mosquito nest. Any bite, cut, scrap, abrasion or thought of these things causes my skin to produce brown marks. Brown marks that stay with me f-o-r-e-v-e-r. I bought a bottle of AmLactin after reading the reviews here last year hoping to get rid of some of the brown spots on my body. Admittedly, I didn't use this regularly or as directed and didn't see the full results. In fact, I totally forgot I had it and it ended up expiring (I believe the shelf life is about one year). I never thought about it again until last month. I bought a shower gel that ended up really doing a number on my skin. I noticed bad breakouts on my back, chest and butt (oh yay, as if I didn't have enough to worry about with my face!). I also developed "chicken skin" (keratosis pilaris) all over my thighs. I thought of AmLactin again and decided to try it. This time, I followed the directions and have actually been using this diligently and my chicken skin is almost gone. I've even seen visible improvement on a small patch of kp I've had for almost ten years! I'm also seeing improvement with the brown spots on my body which is nothing short of amazing. My skin in general is softer and brighter.

As awesome as AmLactin is, it's not perfect. First, the smell is awful. Since I categorize this more as a medicine, I try to get over the smell. Second, it just feels gross. I can't articulate it better than that. It feels exceptionally greasy (which is why I generally avoid lotions) and your skin will feel greasy for a good while after you use this so dressing straight away isn't ideal. You also MUST wash your hands after you apply this unless you enjoy having an acrid smelling film on your hands. Since this contains lactic acid, you have to be careful when applying this after shaving because the smallest cut will burn like a thousand hell fires if this lotion comes into contact with broken skin. Third, this lotion is EXPENSIVE. I don't mean it's a little more than regular lotions, I mean it will make you take a step back and really question if you need to spend $13 on 7.9oz of a non prescription lotion. I think Costco has a much larger bottle for about $17 which is the best way to buy this (provided you use it on the regular).

Despite the downsides, I will likely buy another bottle because this works and it works well. If you have issues with kp or brown marks, I would recommend this. Yes, it's expensive and yes it feels gross but if you use it regularly, you will see results.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/26/2013 7:10:00 AM More reviews by Devildog4025

Although I marked 'yes' to re-purchasing this, it is the first time I really wish MUA had a 'maybe' button. I bought this after my derm recommended it for some bumps I had on my legs. I got the HUGE size at Costco on sale for $14. I really love the EFFECT of this product, but I HATE how greasy it is. I can't wear it in the summer, and if I put it on my legs in the winter, I have a hard time getting my pants up lol. And I have silk sheets, so then my legs stick to my sheets. It is fragrance free, so that's a plus. Also, the pump on the bottle stops working when there is roughly 1/4 of the product left. So then I have to open it. All in all, a good product to use when you get some bumps for a few days, but I just can't use it everyday, which is more what I was looking for.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/9/2013 9:37:00 AM More reviews by spacecowgirlredux

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using the AmLactin body cream as a hand cream for a while, but decided to try the lotion because the cream is so heavy and leaves a definite residue on my hands. I'll be going back to the cream - the lotion isn't as moisturizing and softening, and I find I need to use it 3+ times per day to get any results (in fact, if I don't, it just looks like my skin is super-dry and peeling...not attractive). It's also pretty much impossible to avoid squirting out way too much, either because the lotion is so thin or because the bottle is poorly designed.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/10/2013 10:31:00 AM More reviews by sheila12344321

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is an amazing product. Buy it.

I was having chest breakouts (yuck). It wasn't regular acne, so I was having trouble treating it. It was so bad, I wasn't able to wear regular scoop-neck shirts. I did some research, and I found something about KP. Amlactin was listed as a product that could treat it.

You can find Amlactin at Wal-Mart, but it's a bid pricey. You can sometimes find a printable coupon for it at Walmart.com.

Even without the coupon, I will buy Amlactin Moisturizing Lotion again. Amlactin has 12% lactic acid, so it exfoliates your skin. I noticed a difference THE NEXT DAY on my chest. I was TOTALLY CLEAR within a week. I use it twice-a-day, but I do have to use a separate sunscreen. I think it's helping my facial breakouts, too, but not as much as the ones on my chest.

UPDATE: So after skipping the lotion for two days, I broke out again. After ONE use, the breakouts were gone!!!!!! I guess I'll have to use it forever. :-)

UPDATE II: Just to test the update above, I skipped a few days. Yep, I broke out again. So, this works, but you have to keep using it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/2/2013 5:52:00 PM More reviews by aithny2011

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I usually don't write reviews on anything, but it seems like I've been making some awesome purchases lately, probably from reading everyone else's reviews first. Anyway, I use amlactin for my KP on my knees. I know weird place for bumps. But it's also made my legs/thighs very soft, and my feet are super soft too! Like I've been getting weekly pedicures. No joke. After 2 weeks of this stuff my feet are sandal ready. I've always had dry skin on my heels and its gone. My last pedicure was 2 months ago. It smells funky but the smell goes away fast. I'd recommend this stuff to anyone who's got dry skin or patches!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2013 12:14:00 PM More reviews by Vickybliss

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use this on my bikini area to prevent in-growns, which I'm very prone to. I have super hair follicules or something. Anyway, it's soothing and does the job well. Not a very pleasant scent, but it seems to fade quickly. Makes my inner thigh area REALLY soft. I will re-purchase when I run out, I think there are $3 off coupons at the company's website last time I checked.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/23/2013 11:59:00 AM More reviews by katertots

I picked this up on recommendation from a friend and I have to say, when I use it diligently twice a day, it definitely makes a difference in the amount of ingrown hairs I have on my legs and underarms as well as softening rough patches of skin on my elbows and knees. It's a bit sticky, so I do have to wash my hands after I use it and the smell is noticeable, but not overpowering.

I'm quite happy with this product and I am already working on my second bottle.