August 29, 2014 | 927 users online

Shampoo - Aveeno - Pure Renewal Sulfate Free Shampoo

rated 1 of 5 on 8/23/2014 10:32:00 PM More reviews by marienau

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Like another reviewer, this shampoo caused skin breakouts and very noticeable hair loss. Hair loss excessive.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/15/2014 12:41:00 AM More reviews by kiravae

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I was curious to try a sulfate-free shampoo and this was the most readily available. The first time I used this, my hair was super soft the next day - I kept wanting to touch it. I used it a few more times over the course of a week (it got my hair clean enough that I didn't need to wash it every day) but my hair went to sort of "meh" and my scalp got a little itchy. I went back to my regular shampoo. A few weeks later I tried it again but the softness didn't return, my hair was just sort of "meh". Both times I used it I ended up with blemishes on my face - this might have been chance, but I don't break out that often. I don't intend to try it again since it didn't do anything for my hair after that first use and I don't want to risk further breakouts.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/8/2014 6:02:00 AM More reviews by Jet1010

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love Aveeno lotion and baby washes for my kids, so I decided to try this Sulfate Free shampoo. I had no idea that this shampoo would cause so much drama, first of all I noticed my scalp was alway itchy and dry, then I was loosing hair like crazy I can see my hair thinning, I was breaking our in my scalp with pain pimples and breaking out on my forehead just around the sides where the shampoo would drip. I finally went to my dermatologist and asked her why all of the sudden do i have acne down my back, in my scalp (super painful blister type) and my forehead, she said it can be the shampoo so I switched to Nueteogena T-Gel and everything calmed down my hair loss was less and no new scalp pimples. I tested the shampoo again this week and low and behold my scalp has been itchy and the painful pimples returned as we'll as tons of hair all over the shower..So I'll be throwing this slick tall bottles away.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2013 2:44:00 PM More reviews by Frias93

I love this shampoo. It is sulfate free. It leaves my hair soft and light. It removes all of the product build up. I have curly hair that is semi dry. I blow dry it and straighten it and sometimes I leave it out curly. This shampoo helps the outcome of my hairstyle in whatever state my hair is in. Lastly, you can use it as often as you want. I believe a previous reviewer said you can use it once a month which is completely false, I called the company myself and asked.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2013 2:59:00 PM More reviews by Arrington0

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

First of all, for all you people who use this daily... Yeah I hope you realize it states you only use it once a month. Since it is a purifying shampoo, it strips your hair of all the oils, build up, and even natural oils. So using it everyday will obviously make your hair create a lot more oil to replace the amount that has been stripped off your scalp. Therefore, leaving your head a big oily mess.

With that said, if you don't like switching shampoos every 3 months, a purifying shampoo is great for keeping your hair nice and clean from product build up. And this shampoo really does work without over stripping and leaving your hair dry and brutal. Being sulfate free is a plus but being tested on animals is a major deal breaker. I guess that would be the only thing that would make me reconsider repurchasing since I am a big animal lover and happened to pick up the wrong bottle of both shampoo and conditioner. Sigh, the bottles are just all so similar its easy to pick up the wrong one. But other than that, great purifying shampoo over all.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/9/2013 7:17:00 PM More reviews by FieryHairAndAttitude

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I LOVE THIS SHAMPOO! This might be my HG :) I'm really surprised that this doesn't have better reviews...oh well. Anyways, I got it for about $5 on sale at Kroger. The packaging is nice looking and dispenses well. The smell is really nice :) I don't know what it smells like, just good haha. It doesn't have sulfates, but it does lather because of potato starch in it. My thick, coarse, straight hair feels soft and silky and looks just perfect. Yesterday it was super humid and my hair would normally just get frizzy but instead it had beachy waves (probably because of switching to sulfate free). I just love everything about this :)

There's unfortunately one con to all the pros... Aveeno is tested on animals :( That might stop me from repurchasing, but I'm not against buying it again if cruelty free shampoos don't work out.

EDIT: My hair could sometimes be a little greasy looking when I used this. Plus, my head was kinda itchy using it.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/20/2013 5:18:00 PM More reviews by Roseblush82

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am allergic to sulfates and its hard to find products that are truly free of these chemicals. This shampoo cleanses my hair well and doesn't leave any major film behind. If you have the same allergies as me you should get it. If you don't, you can find better alternatives to this for making your hair look gorg.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/3/2013 2:49:00 PM More reviews by jeannebilson

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

As long as I can remember I've had scalp problems,(dandruff and breakouts). I've tried lots of dandruff shampoos, but nothing was very effective. I had never tried a sulfate- free shampoo, so I gave the Aveeno a try. I noticed a huge difference after the first hair washing with my scalp. It feels completely normal and problem free. I've been using it for 5 months and I'm still very happy with the results. My hair feels cleaner longer than with other shampoos too. My hair itself has always been thick, healthy, and untreated,and it seems nice and manageable with the shampoo-conditioner combo. But, the big thing for me is how it has cleared up my scalp. Iv'e occasionally tried
other shampoos, including the Aveeno dandruff shampoo, and the scalp problems returned.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2013 7:25:00 PM More reviews by melisaRN816

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Other

NO SULFATES!
I love the brand, it smells great, and it makes my hair feel wonderful. The same goes for the conditioner. It doesn't weigh down my fine hair so yes I am really happy with it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/20/2013 12:11:00 AM More reviews by Bellona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this shampoo and conditioner upon recommendation from a gf of mine who used to be a hair stylist and I trust her opinion. She also has similar hair texture to mine, so I bought it despite the bad reviews here on MUA. I've used the entire bottle of shampoo and conditioner, and the only reason I'm not repurchasing is because it contains a lot of silicones and artificial fragrance, and I think it may have irritated my eczema on my hands.
Now, for my review. I thought this shampoo lathered well, cleaned my hair, and did a decent job. It smelled nice, and the conditioner combo with it made my hair relatively soft and shiny.
I have wavy/curly hair that is of a coarse texture. I struggle big time with dryness and frizz on the top layer.
I've pretty much accepted the fact that no shampoo and conditioner is going to give me blow-out perfect hair by using it and air drying. I've given up on that dream LOL.
Now all I ask for is a more realistic wish of gentle washing, clean ingredients, and moisturizing elements to combat frizz and give me shiny healthy looking hair.
I won't repurchase because I think the artificial fragrance or something in this irritated the eczema on my hands when I washed with it. Also, I found a different line to try (called Cabella) that contains no silicones.
But my gf still swears by it for her hair, and I do believe the good reviews here as as well. I'd still recommend it to someone looking for a sulfate free system, as everyone is different and I didn't find the stuff that bad!