Aveeno Pure Renewal Sulfate Free Shampoo

2.9

Water, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Ammonium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Acrylates Copolymer, Cocamide MEA, Dimethicone, Sodium Hydrolyzed Potato Starch Dodecenylsuccinate, Fragrance, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hydroxide, Citric Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Propylene Glycol, Glycerin, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Laminaria Saccharina Extract, Polyquaternium 7, Methylisothiazolinone, Titanium Dioxide, Mica

on 3/22/2015 10:25:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm kind of shocked at how bad this product got reviewed and gratefully I didn't read this board before purchasing otherwise I'd never have bought one of the best hair products I've had.

It's around 6$ where I've seen it and though its say more expensive than...suave or pantene (two brands I loathe) it's nowhere near the amount I've paid for high end products that were a total bust.

I kind of assumed it was a clarifying shampoo because of the Pure Renewal part and also the condition it left my hair.

I use a lot of products daily and get buildup thus I like to use a clarifying shampoo. I'd been using Ion brand which certainly gets the job done but it felt kind of harsh and the orangey smell kind of bothers me.

This shampoo smells SO GOOD. additionally, it removed the same product buildup from my hair but didn't leave it dry and gnarled like Ion. i would NOT however use this as a daily shampoo becuase it will dry your hair out as it removes the buildup of product and your own natural, necessary oils.

I use this twice a week or so, followed by a nice conditioning and my hair seems brighter, bouncier, and cleaner for sure.
again, not good for daily shampooing but if you use products often and need a good cleaning, this is the best shampoo you can find.

on 3/6/2015 2:03:00 PM

I never write reviews for products unless I love or hate them. You can guess where this one fell.
One reviewer said that it's a clarifying shampoo. It's not. It's not marketed as such, nor does it identify as one on the bottle. That being said, it probably works well as clarifying shampoo for occasional use, because it is very stripping.
I switched to this from Giovanni 2Chic Ultra Moist because it was cheaper. For the record, I love that shampoo. I should have never left it, and I hope it takes me back.
I shampoo every other day and cowash in between, but my hair has been so dry ever since starting to use this shampoo. I was hoping as a sulfate free that it would be more gentle, but instead I got dry hair and a flaky scalp-a problem I haven't had since I was a pre-teen. I am really gentle with my hair and almost never use heat, but it started breaking, and worse-FALLING OUT. It seems every time I touch my hair I come back with several loose hairs. Aside from that, the smell is really strong and not my cup of tea.
I almost feel bad giving this such a poor review; it has potential to be a good product, but it would need a pretty big revamp.

on 2/28/2015 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

OMG!! I finally found the best drugstore shampoo! I have coarse, dry Asian hair that needs tons of hydration, especially in these winter months. I used to love the Organix coconut milk shampoo and conditioner set. I thought those were really hydrating my hair, but they weren't as well as these. With this set my hair is SUPER clean, something the Organix did not do, and SUPER hydrated! All other shampoos that I've tried are too stripping and filled with silicons or don't clean well enough. This is the ultimate perfect shampoo and conditioner set! My hair is smooth, soft, shiny, hydrated, not frizzy. It's really cheap at Walmart too. It's only $5.50 about for each bottle. Also, the bottles have a flat cap, so you can tip the bottle upside down to get every last drop. I absolutely love that feature. I will definitely be repurchasing and this is my new HG set!

on 9/4/2014 8:33:00 PM

I don't understand where all these negative reviews are coming from. First off, it is a CLARIFYING shampoo, if you use it every time you wash your hair it will dry your hair out. I use it about once a week, or week and a half and honestly it works great. The smell is very subtle, it leaves my hair soft, smooth and shiny. I can tell the difference, as it washes away all the product build up. I would repurchase it again.

on 8/23/2014 10:32:00 PM

Like another reviewer, this shampoo caused skin breakouts and very noticeable hair loss. Hair loss excessive.

on 6/15/2014 12:41:00 AM

I was curious to try a sulfate-free shampoo and this was the most readily available. The first time I used this, my hair was super soft the next day - I kept wanting to touch it. I used it a few more times over the course of a week (it got my hair clean enough that I didn't need to wash it every day) but my hair went to sort of "meh" and my scalp got a little itchy. I went back to my regular shampoo. A few weeks later I tried it again but the softness didn't return, my hair was just sort of "meh". Both times I used it I ended up with blemishes on my face - this might have been chance, but I don't break out that often. I don't intend to try it again since it didn't do anything for my hair after that first use and I don't want to risk further breakouts.

on 3/8/2014 6:02:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I love Aveeno lotion and baby washes for my kids, so I decided to try this Sulfate Free shampoo. I had no idea that this shampoo would cause so much drama, first of all I noticed my scalp was alway itchy and dry, then I was loosing hair like crazy I can see my hair thinning, I was breaking our in my scalp with pain pimples and breaking out on my forehead just around the sides where the shampoo would drip. I finally went to my dermatologist and asked her why all of the sudden do i have acne down my back, in my scalp (super painful blister type) and my forehead, she said it can be the shampoo so I switched to Nueteogena T-Gel and everything calmed down my hair loss was less and no new scalp pimples. I tested the shampoo again this week and low and behold my scalp has been itchy and the painful pimples returned as we'll as tons of hair all over the shower..So I'll be throwing this slick tall bottles away.

on 10/29/2013 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

I love this shampoo. It is sulfate free. It leaves my hair soft and light. It removes all of the product build up. I have curly hair that is semi dry. I blow dry it and straighten it and sometimes I leave it out curly. This shampoo helps the outcome of my hairstyle in whatever state my hair is in. Lastly, you can use it as often as you want. I believe a previous reviewer said you can use it once a month which is completely false, I called the company myself and asked.

on 8/23/2013 2:59:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

First of all, for all you people who use this daily... Yeah I hope you realize it states you only use it once a month. Since it is a purifying shampoo, it strips your hair of all the oils, build up, and even natural oils. So using it everyday will obviously make your hair create a lot more oil to replace the amount that has been stripped off your scalp. Therefore, leaving your head a big oily mess.

With that said, if you don't like switching shampoos every 3 months, a purifying shampoo is great for keeping your hair nice and clean from product build up. And this shampoo really does work without over stripping and leaving your hair dry and brutal. Being sulfate free is a plus but being tested on animals is a major deal breaker. I guess that would be the only thing that would make me reconsider repurchasing since I am a big animal lover and happened to pick up the wrong bottle of both shampoo and conditioner. Sigh, the bottles are just all so similar its easy to pick up the wrong one. But other than that, great purifying shampoo over all.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I LOVE THIS SHAMPOO! This might be my HG :) I'm really surprised that this doesn't have better reviews...oh well. Anyways, I got it for about $5 on sale at Kroger. The packaging is nice looking and dispenses well. The smell is really nice :) I don't know what it smells like, just good haha. It doesn't have sulfates, but it does lather because of potato starch in it. My thick, coarse, straight hair feels soft and silky and looks just perfect. Yesterday it was super humid and my hair would normally just get frizzy but instead it had beachy waves (probably because of switching to sulfate free). I just love everything about this :)

There's unfortunately one con to all the pros... Aveeno is tested on animals :( That might stop me from repurchasing, but I'm not against buying it again if cruelty free shampoos don't work out.

EDIT: My hair could sometimes be a little greasy looking when I used this. Plus, my head was kinda itchy using it.

Popular Shampoos