July 30, 2014 | 1982 users online

Styling Products - Schwarzkopf - Instant Volume Powder

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2014 8:34:00 PM More reviews by wrayjj

This product was one of the first that I had used for increasing volume in my hair.
I believe that it did the job just fine. I would scatter the powder around the crown of my head and found that it gave a sense of fullness to my style.

With this being said, it did seem to add heaviness to my hair which wasn't necessarily ideal when freshly washed. I found that the product became very sticky when rubbed in (as specified). So if you're looking for comb-your-fingers-through soft free-feeling hair, look elsewhere.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/8/2013 4:19:00 AM More reviews by SophieRose99

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have very fine and damaged hair. It is thin and needs all the help it can get... yes this product does work and creates good volume but I found it was only good for an hour or two. It did create a bit of static but nothing too drastic. It is okay to use but it leaves a sort of powdery rough texture on your hands which I hate and have to wash off. But to get volume into your roots pushing it in with your hands is effective. I wish it lasted longer in my hair! I don't think I will repurchase because I am after a product that lasts a bit longer than this.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/26/2013 7:28:00 AM More reviews by nunyabidniz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My hair is fine, long and flat. Maybe even too fine, since even the tiniest little bit of this stuff turns my roots into a knotted, stiff, dull, vaguely gluey mess. Made the big mistake of falling asleep before washing out the powder. When I woke up, it was 1985 and I was playing guitar in a hair band. (Okay, maybe that didn't happen, but wow... the hair! Still untangling it.)
It did provide some lift, though!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2012 11:21:00 PM More reviews by jmoulton87

My sister calls this product "hair crack" because once you try it you will be addicted. This product gives amazing volume and texture. A little goes such a long way - I have had the same teeny tiny bottle for a year and I use it almost every day. It works especially well on short hair and gives you volume that you can adjust throughout the day with your fingertips. My only complaint about this product is that it gives your hair a chalky texture, making it hard to run your fingers through it.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2012 11:24:00 PM More reviews by eMruss20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This did absolutely nothing but make my hair extremely static. Def will not buy again or recommend to anyone.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/2/2012 8:34:00 PM More reviews by catpie

I have mixed feelings about this product. I have fine hair (but a lot of it) with a tendency to get very flat. I'm in the process of growing out a pixie cut and my hair is now at the length where it really needs help with volume. When I first put this in it looks great - does exactly what I would expect of it. But I find that it doesn't last all day and as my hair settles it actually looks greasy - it's lighter weight than a dry shampoo but doesn't promise any of the oil absorbing properties of one. I wish it would last without looking built up.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2012 9:37:00 AM More reviews by yankeerose

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I like the idea of this product, but it just doesn't work for me.

I have longer than shoulder length, very fine but a ton of hair. Since my hair is so fine, I really need something to add a bit of "muscle" to the roots.

This is not the product. I think it would work great for short, layered hair.

I will not say this is the worst product I've ever used, but it just didn't do what I was hoping it would.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2012 2:44:00 AM More reviews by KerryGold

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Grey, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Description: This powder is described as a weightless formula that gives instantly visible and long-lasting volume.

Directions on container: Shake a small amount into your palm and rub hands together. Apply on dry hair, focusing on the roots and then style as desired. For an extra volume boost, shake powder directly onto dry hair and roots, using your fingertips to work it in and then style as desired. Start with a small amount. Add more if required.

My experience: My hair is grey and I currently have a short pixie cut. I'm always looking for something to give texture and piecey-ness without looking as if I'm trying too hard. So far, after a week of daily use, I love it.

After blowdrying my hair, I apply a couple of shakes of powder to the palm of my hand, rub my hands and fingers together, then ruffle my fingers through my hair, lifting the roots a little and mussing things up a bit. I then quickly finesse it, which doesn't take long. I've discovered that over-styling backfires and have learnt when to stop!

It adds just the right amount of separation and body to make my hair look less boring, without it looking as if I'm desperately trying to be a trendy, quirky baby boomer.

Other comments: The container size is very handbag/purse friendly so it's easy to carry around for touch-ups. The powder is white but disappears and turns almost imperceptibly, slightly sticky on being rubbed in. It isn't as sticky or wet as hairspray nor as thick as a styling pomade.