Yves Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture Glossy Stain 17 Encre Rose

4.2

on 6/16/2012 11:36:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I adore this. The color, the texture, the scent-everything about this. Is awesome. #17 is a beautiful everyday midtone pink with a hint of purple. It goes on pretty vibrant, but once it settles it is a bit darker and slightly more subtle, and looks amazing on my NW20 complexion. I love the way the color brightens up my face-I generally go for much lighter lipcolors, but this just looks amazing on me.

The texture is really cool, too. It goes on thin, like a stain, but with a second coat it feels a bit thicker (like a gloss). It isn't sticky AT ALL, but isn't thin like a typical nonsticky gloss. I find the gloss part lasts about as long as a typical gloss, maybe 3 hours with minimal drinking and a lot of talking. The stain itself lasts all day! I put it on at 8am and it was still hanging on when I left work at 5. I did not reapply anything, either.

It smells like sweet roses (which I love) but the scent doesn't linger or give me a headache. Definitely worth the $32 price tag! I also have and love #18, and want more!

on 5/18/2012 12:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff is absolutely worth the money.
Feels amazing on, glossy and moisturizing and it lasts for a few hours or more.. even through drinking/eating.
Encre rose is a mid tone pink with a hint of cool lilac. It's not bright but it isn't subtle either.
I'm not in love with the color but I think the product itself is genius and very high quality.
I'm going to try out more colors!

on 5/16/2012 8:32:00 AM

Love this! The texture is like none other and the colour 17 Encre Rose is the perfect everyday pink for me. I find the gloss lasts about 2-3 hours and the stain is there for 5-6.

on 4/13/2012 2:00:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

I heard soooo much hype about this stuff I had to try it. And based on the fact that almost all the colors were blown out when I got there, I thought I was really on to something. I bought the shade that was made exclusively for Nordstrom. The YSL sales manager RAVED about them non-stop. She said she had not been able to keep them in stock since they came out. She said she was wearing it before it was released to the public and all of her co-workers were so jealous because it was so awesome. She said she ate a muffin, drank coffee, etc. and the stuff never came off. This is the main reason I sought this product out. I cannot stand the dry, gritty, 2 step long last lip colors from the drugstore. I have never found one that didn't make me feel like a clown, or leave me with a ring of clay like lip color after eating a simple breath mint. Also, the colors are so hit and miss when these dry after you apply them. Anyway, I was very hopeful that I had finally found the HG of long lasting lip color. I tried this stuff for an entire day.....it didn't even make it through a glass of apple juice. I don't know what everyone is going on about as far as the lasting power of this stuff. And at $30+ it needs to be amazing. I returned it the next day and the same woman that sold it to me was there. She was in shock! My mom and niece also tried it as I did, and had the same result. It didn't stay. And it didn't really leave a nice even stain after the gloss part wore off, it was a little blotchy and I didn't feel confident with the way it looked without reapplying. So, even the stain part wasn't impressive. The selection of colors is nice, and you can layer it for different effects, which is nice. But if I want a lip gloss that needs to be reapplied regularly, I can get that at Target for a couple bucks. Sorry YSL, this didn't live up to the hype. However, there are many YSL products I love, so I won't give up on them.

on 3/8/2012 12:12:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

I had been stalking these guys forever, and ordered online after pouring over swatches online. I found the texture to be very odd and heavy feeling. The wear is OK but not what YSL claims. I don't want to give up on them yet, but my first impression is that for $36, I can live without them.....
***UPDATE: Apparently different colors have different textures and depending on how many layers are applied, they can feel heavy. I purchased another color and I love it! I add one thin layer at a time and let it set for a few seconds between. The color starts out more opaque but as it sets it changes to more of a sheer gloss. Test in person if possible!

on 3/7/2012 4:03:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I bought #17 and #18. 17 is a great color and the most universal out of the two. Packaging is great. Lasting power is moderate. It feels a bit tacky and sticky. My lips tend to peel a lot, this stain did not prevent this from happening. After 30 minutes of wear, my lips still peeled. I really wanted to like it but I won't be purchasing anymore. #18 is extremely light. If you have dark pigmented lips I highly DO NOT recommend #18. It pretty much looked like nothing on my lips. Only way to get color for me was to keep reapplying it and at that point it just looked horrible.

on 3/6/2012 8:27:00 PM

I purchased #s 10 and 12. The latter is a coral shade but it barely showed up on my lips. I must have deeply pigmented lips. Texture was nice and not sticky but I found the taste and scent were overpowering. Felt as though I had applied cologne to my lips. Tasted bitter too. For that reason I might return the unopened shade. I also made the mistake of testing shades on my hand in store and some of the colors still haven't come off my skin even after applying an oil to try to dissolve them. That said, the shades are really nice. There's something for everyone.

on 2/28/2012 3:35:00 PM

I didn't buy #17, I bought #10 and #11. I agree with all the other reviews. It's the best thing to come out in the "lips" category in YEARS. The formula is comfortable, longwearing, and for once, actually is exactly as named, a glossy stain. It doesn't feel tight or dry, and it's sooo flattering that it's hard to pick just one color. At $32, it's expensive, but it's not unreasonably expensive for a cutting-edge formula that requires far less reapplication than normal lipstick. I bought 2 fairly pigmented colors in the "reds" family. My lipcolor is naturally darker so I felt that the reds looked natural, if such a thing could be said, compared to the range of pinks. I saw other ladies try on the #17 in the store who were more fair skinned than me, and it looked beautiful. A rose/pink. #10 and #11 are both red, with #10 being a little more cool toned than #11. I previously had a lemming for guerlain rouge G and rouge automatique, but passed because I didn't like the feel on the lips. These feel like nothing but then wear a long long time. The Chanel long wearing lipsticks (and liquid lipsticks) I have feel so much more dry! I can't believe these don't feel dry. Miracle.

on 2/28/2012 12:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I have this Color as well as 16 Poupre Preview and 5, Vintage rouge. Love all three. Best hybrid product I have ever used. Long lasting, non drying, buildable Color. I am not annoyed by the smell/taste. Want to try another shade like 14 or 15. A real winner. Does not migrate.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I had been anticipating these Gloss/Stains for SO LONG it seems! I tried ordering a few based on the horrific swatches of color on Sephora.com, and of course, they arrived to me looking nothing of what I wanted or pictured them to be...

So I was THRILLED to walk into Sephora this evening to find their BRAND NEW DISPLAY of these Glossy Stains!! Of course they didn't have the extensive selection as they do online, but I was drawn to #17, Encre Rose, and it looked FANTASTIC on my barely-pigmented lips! It's a Pink, but it's not a Barbie Pink... It is Rose-Pink, with some slight Violet undertones. #15, Vinyl Rose, was more of a "look at me" Pink, much brighter with a deeper Rose base... Definitely a shade or two brighter than #17. I grabbed it as well, but I am SO fond of #17, I honestly do not believe I can ever live without it!

The application wand is almost tear-dropped shaped and slightly slanted so you can apply the gloss effortlessly and with precision, especially around the contours of your lips.

The formula is comfortable, and lasts HOURS (even through eating, drinking, running errands in the chilly weather, licking my lips once or twice... and what I ate was a greasy slice of Pizza)! It stains your lips the color you want, and leaves lips looking hydrated and SO polished! It's midnight now, and looking at my lips, I can see they still have a tint of color, which is nice for me, being pale and having NO pigment (especially in my lips). I found my favorite color, Encre Rose #17, but I love this new product SO much- they did SUCH a great job with this, I'll be purchasing more for sure.. Finally! A stain for the lips that isn't that same old generic berry Kool-Aid look, regardless of which brand the stain is! I hope this never goes away... I honestly don't want to be without this. $32.