Paula's Choice RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum

3.8

Not tested on animals

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol (silicone slip agents/suspending agents), Neopentyl Glycol Diheptanoate (skin-conditioning agent), Dicaprylyl Carbonate (emollient), Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride (skin-repairing ingredient), Phenyl Trimethicone (silicone slip agent), Squalane (emollient), Bisabolol (anti-irritant), Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (stabilized vitamin C/antioxidant), Retinol (cell-communicating ingredient/antioxidant), Tocotrienols (vitamin E-based antioxidant), Tocopherol (vitamin E/antioxidant), Lecithin (cell-communicating ingredient), Laminaria Ochroleuca (Kelp) Extract (anti-irritant), Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Oil (anti-irritant), Elaeis Guineensis (Palm) Oil (skin-repairing ingredient), Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate (licorice-derived anti-irritant), Hexylene Glycol (slip agent), Caprylyl Glycol (emollient), Ethylhexylglycerin (skin-conditioning agent), Phenoxyethanol (preservative).

on 4/28/2015 2:44:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

I been trying this Cyclopentasiloxane (silicones) base serum on and off since Paula first release the product. Although she raised her price from 30$ to 40$ in less then 2 years. For a non-luxurious, online brand, I find this very unreasonable. (Especially for residents outside USA country).

Aside from the price, this retinol serum is so emollient, maybe TOO emollient for normal to oily skin. (Just by reading the ingredient list, the first 7 ingredients are all rich emollient ingredients) If you have oily skin, you probably won't like it at all. For dryer skin, its not a slam dunk either.... because it feel greasy but not hydrating enough. Retinol tend to dry up your skin surface (think of the Retinol A for acne!) I guess that's why higher % (although still less then 1%) require such richness to balance up.

I didn't see a miracle result from this serum. If anything, I'm starting to noticed dryer and rougher skin layers. Maybe my skin is renewing? But I'm not positively sure. Either way its not the best experiment. I'm mainly using it as age-prevention but I might just switch over to skin recovery serum during winter time. (A mild version for real dry skin, work much gentler for me.)

Retinol in higher % is not for everyone, think twice before you buy it. I may not repurchase anymore unless it work for my neck area.

Note: One more thing worthy to mentioned. Don't overly layer this product around your eye area, this serum tend to travel inside your eye if you do that.

on 3/29/2015 11:13:00 PM

I like this retinol serum, but I partially wonder if that's merely because I have never tried anything better. I agree that the packaging has gotten worse over time -- the top of the pump, namely. I feel like the weight of this product is good for nighttime, when I use it, because it basically feels like a nighttime moisturizer in terms of it's slip/heaviness, but again, I wonder if I could do better.

on 2/5/2015 3:57:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had a bad allergic reaction to this product. When I put it on, my face started to feel hot. I ignored it for a while, thinking it was the active ingredients beginning to work, but I had to wash it off in the end. After a couple of days, with nothing else having changed in my routine, my eyes started to feel itchy and dry and the next day, I woke up with swollen eyes, red, dry patches and deep lines around my eyes that hadn't been there before. My skin is still trying to recover from this. The only thing it will tolerate at the moment is vaseline. Please be very careful with retinol. My skin isn't normally sensitive. Patch test it first for at least 3 days before you put it on your face.

on 1/31/2015 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

I wanted to like this but it just did not perform well.
I broke out with cystic blemishes deep under the skin. They took forever to heal and left marks on my face.
I am also not thrilled with the texture of this either. Very silicone feeling. Which is nice for gliding on but it never really sank into my skin more just sat on top.
My skin was even more shiny too.

on 1/4/2015 12:25:00 AM

Look I just bought this product and received it a day ago. This is so depressing because although this is a nice formula the packaging broke in 24 hours. The twist up cap I mean come on!!! It twisted right off and I am left figuring out ways to pump the product out?! I have found a way but it won't retract how it is meant to!!! In a day!!! Because I just bought it I can only speak about how this feels... I was shocked at the oiliness of it. However it does sink in after about 2 minutes of letting it set. It burns the eyes of it gets in but over all doesn't burn on my skin. Idk if I'll return it or not but I'll probably try the 1% retinol next because the packaging of this product needs redone. Period.

on 10/10/2014 4:02:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

ARGH!! So I actually LOVE the product. Since I've started using Paula's Choice products I've noticed an improvement in my overall skin tone but specifically I've noticed a lightening of my hyper pigmentation. I no longer have to use full coverage foundation - I can get away with tinted moisturizer! Definitely, this retinol serum is part of that. Yet I marked that I wouldn't buy it again. Why? The horrible, horrible packaging! I *wish* it came in a tube like her antioxidant retinol treatments! I've bought this serum three times now. The first time, no problem with the packaging. The second time the pump/twist up top didn't work properly so I had to return it. This is my third and last time. The pump/twist up top works enough to dispense product, but it's really hard to control how much product because the pump/twist up top isn't properly attached. The product itself is great but I know it's probably more expensive because it comes in this lemon packaging. I'm going to try her moisturizing Retinol treatment or perhaps go back to one of the antioxidant retinol serums. But I'm never buying this again!

on 7/27/2014 10:28:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I really want to like Paula's Choice products. I appreciate the research she conducts on cosmetics and her attention to toxic chemicals in products. I'm not particularly keen on mail order skin care products because I prefer shopping at brick and mortar stores, but her customer service is outstanding. Overall though I've been really disappointed in her products, which is surprising given the high ratings this brand receives on MUA. The consistency is really thick and oily, so doesn't absorb very quickly. I've been using this serum for over six months and have seen no improvement in my skin, either the tone or the appearance of the light wrinkles I have.

on 7/23/2014 6:17:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I HAD MULTIPLE SAMPLES.
If you have deep wrinkling this alone will minimize the appearance of them but not get rid of them. This does have a formula that can gaurantee skin health ( provided you have no allergys.)
Initially the serum feels oily and it can clump this problem resolves itself though when it dries. It may initially feel uncomftorable on oily skin until it dries. It may seem to give temporary relief to drier skin types.

on 7/16/2014 10:24:00 PM

I really like where Paula is coming from and how she promotes using formulas that have clinical results, not just a lot of hype. My biggest problem with this product is the texture. I cannot get over how oily (but not oily, more like, silicon-y) this feels on my face. It feels heavy like it does not absorb. I have not been able to use this long enough to truly evaluate the product because I do not enjoy using the product due to the texture. I was much more satisfied with Peter Thomas Roth's retinol serum, although it is more expensive.

on 7/12/2014 4:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

I have used many Retinol products and have to say this one is the worst. It is extremely oily and slippery, making it very unpleasant to use. Results are a resounding meh. I am not at all impressed with this line and trashed the products I bought..

Popular Treatments (Face)