April 20, 2014 | 1690 users online

Treatments - Paula's Choice - RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2014 7:21:00 PM More reviews by MakeupMomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this serum! At first I was turned off by the oiliness of this product, but after using it for over two months I absolutely love it! I really feel it has made a difference in my skin. I am in my early 40s and just starting to show signs of aging on my face. At the same time, my skin is very oily and acne prone. This serum does make my face look and feel even oilier so I just use it at night. Since I started using this product my skin looks and feels much smoother. The fine lines I had on my forehead and around my eye area seem to have noticeably diminished and my skin tone has evened out. The only downside to this product is the price, but I bought it for 20% off on dermstore.com. PC often has sales, so I would definitely wait and get it then if you're wanting to try this product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 4:45:00 PM More reviews by Pheebie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Years ago when Paula introduced this serum, I was already a fan of several of her products, and still am to this day. What I am NOT a fan of are silicones, at least not in facial skin care. I was well aware that the first two ingredients here are silicones, but I was so eager to try the latest-and-greatest retinol product, and from a source I trusted, that I put my aversion aside and kept an open mind. After all, the remainder of the ingredient list is impressive, as is the packaging.

Unfortunately, this is not a match for me. My skin is oily, with all the lovliness that entails: large pores, the tendency to clog, a breakout here and there. I gave this product several tries, even tossing it out and repurchasing it years later, thinking that maybe THIS time would be different. After all, our skin's needs change over time, and with so many positive reviews, surely it would work for me eventually. But no - each time was a fail. I'd apply the serum at night, suppressing my gag reflex at the slimy texture that is the hallmark of silicone-based products (and the very thing I DESPISE). I'd go to sleep believing that one morning I'd wake up and see the amazing results that so many others were experiencing.

{sigh} All I saw were bumps. Little ones, under the surface, and breakouts in places where I don't typically get them. This was the same result with each attempt. I tried waiting it out, thinking I merely needed to endure a 'purge' period. In the end, I realized I was the odd man out and this simply was not the product for me. Cheers to those who have success - I envy you!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2013 5:43:00 AM More reviews by Itsheatherlol

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Been using for over 3 months and have notice my skin looks more refreshed and brighter but mostly notably a fine line on my forehead has been significantly reduced to the point where it's no longer noticeable unless you hunt for it with your face pressed to the mirror (even then I sometimes can't see it). It has also helped reduced the lines under my eyes, but sadly they are still noticeable though much improved.

Great product, goes on lovely, doesn't break me out, reduces wrinkles and refreshes skin.

10 out of 10.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/5/2013 7:31:00 AM More reviews by moo209

Quick tips:
(1) You can find out how much product you have left by pulling the top off. Only do this at night. (See picture)
(2) Buy it when they have a 15% off sale.

The serum is appropriately in an airtight bottle to prevent oxidation. The pH is in the right range. The serum is thick, but it feels lightweight. It has a silicone-feel. I know some people don't like silicone, but it prevents moisture loss. Paula's Choice doesn't disclose the amount of retinol in the product. I think this serum has a low amount of serum because it gives low irritation. The higher the amount of retinol, the higher the irritation.

I have been using this for 6 months and I'm still on my first bottle. I use this at night with one pump. I provided a picture of how much product is left which is about 40%. This will probably last me another 5 months. The value is incredible for the price and how long this will last. Current price: $37 for 1 oz ($31.45 with 15% off) I noticed the increase in price. I paid $27.16 (sale price). The regular price was $31.95. I believe Paula's Choice raised their prices in everything. :(

As for results, it is fading my acne hyperpigmentation at a very slow rate. I saw a good (not dramatic) improvement in 3 months. I know it's supposed to take 8-12 weeks to see results. I see a slight difference with my sun spots. I'm in my early 20's so my wrinkles are developing. This product hasn't improved my wrinkles. I'm unsatisfied with my results. I think by using this product, it's going to take over a year to see desired results. Overall, think this serum is a good product to introduce retinol to your skin. I won't repurchase because I want to move up to a higher strength retinol like 0.5%.

Who won't like it?
People who don't like the feel of silicone or feeling greasy.
People with sensitive skin will probably not tolerate retinol.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 12:07:00 AM More reviews by princessplumjade

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

ABOUT ME: I'm a 43-year old Latina woman with very fair olive skin (mature/combination/sensitive type). I have some minor facial lines and redness.

USAGE: I've used this product regularly over the past 6 months or so, usually once daily, alternating with another antioxidant serum.

REVIEW: I'm nearing the end of the bottle and I'm sort of shrugging my shoulders about this serum. The texture is very comfortable and pleasant on my skin -- it's a nice, light moisturizer.and absorbed nicely into my combination (slightly oily) skin. No unpleasant odor or afterfeel.

Unfortunately ... I can't say I've noted any improvement of my skin's overall condition and appearance. I've been alternating use of this serum with PC Skin Balancing Antioxidant Serum with Retinol each evening. My skin looks better (lines minimized) on days I use the Skin Balancing serum. I doubt the Resist serum is HARMING my skin in any way, but apart from the lightweight moisturizing properties, I doubt it's BENEFITTING me. It could be my skin doesn't respond to retinol and other ingredients in the Skin Balancing serum are more compatible with me.

This is the most expensive serum of the PC skin care line. The packaging is attractive but I found it slightly awkward and wasteful. A $40 skin care item should offer efficient packaging without product leaking from the pump.

I have a second bottle of this product and will use it, but will probably switch back to regular use of Skin Balancing serum once it's finished.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/13/2013 9:38:00 AM More reviews by historian12

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I bought this product after the previous retinol product I was using was discontinued by its manufacturer--I had been very happy with that one. I've been using Paula's for about 3 months now. Paula's is quite different. It's thicker and oilier. I have combination skin, and it just seems to sit on the surface of my skin, instead of absorbing. Worse yet, the skin around my eyes looks more wrinkled than it did before--it just doesn't seem to do as good a job as my old product.

I also find the bottle to be rather awkward and clunky. The pump gets messy and needs to be cleaned frequently. Also the bottle isn't recyclable. I won't be purchasing this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/7/2013 1:18:00 PM More reviews by keiki300

I just wanted to let everyone know that no one should use anything else on their face but Paula's products and no i am not being paid by anyone. her face creams are so great that in the morning i look visibly better and refreshed. She has skin communicating ingredients and loads of antioxidants and no fragrance. I used to get rashes from even Lauder and clinique but no more. the cleansers are sublime. and the prices are cheap. having said that i am not crazy about her mascaras. Her makeup is just okay but mostly ladylike colors and neutral. not much choice. I am more of an OCC girl myself. anyway girls for the price and her amazing formulas and great costumer service i would give it a try.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2013 5:55:00 PM More reviews by emmgill

This serum is lovely. It comes in a twist pump bottle which I really like cause its perfect for travelling, no leaks or accidental pumps made during travel. But you can't tell when your running low.

At first I thought this serum might break me out as its a thicker serum. It feels silky smooth when going on and sinks in really well. This leaves my skin feeling soft, plump, and radiant, helps repair my skin too. It makes my skin look so so nice. Gorgeous retinol product. I always have a couple of retinol products at once for summer/winter or oily/ dry skin. This is good for when my skin is a little drier. I use the Peter Thomas Roth retinol fusion PM or skinceuticals retinol 1.0 when my skin is oilier.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2013 12:51:00 PM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have mixed feelings about this
My knowledge of skincare is extensive so I can certainly what it contains, but I am not a big fan of the consistency and the packaging.

They say it has a silky texture and you only need a few drops. But how much retinol is that? The results you see depend on the amount primarily. A higher concentration helps bring more active ingredient on the skin but you can't just spread two drops over your entire face. You can but you'd be applying more retinol if you were using a less concentrated product with a light cream consistency. No irritation?! No thanks! Irritation can be minimized by adding soothing ingredients but it still is a direct indicator of the concentration of Vitamin A. If I get no irritation when I apply more, then it means I wasn't applying enough to begin with. It needs to be fine-tuned, but not too far below what your skin can tolerate.

I have also used the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Night for quite some time. It has a simple but solid formula and the metal tube is great. That's what is used for prescription strength retinoids anyways, and unlike similar looking plastic tubes there's no air getting back in after you squeeze. It is also easy to cut open with scissors to get out the remaining product when it's finished. This twist up bottle seems fancy but complicated. Maybe it's more necessary for silicone textures but I actually prefer retinol as a light cream. You do need something more moisturizing anyway since retinoids and retinol are drying.

I have tested this for more than one month daily in sample size. That is exactly 1m. That would be 1 month for the full size, and 7 days only for the sample size - supposed to last you three weeks? At first I thought it would be too much but I get no reaction from this. No warm tingling sensation as I apply it, and no irritation the next day. What I preferred about Neutrogena is that with trial and error I could soon determine my tolerance level and continue with it. It does not make me look greasy.

UPDATE 02/23/2014: I have since moved on to the RESIST Retinol Skin-Smoothing Body Treatment as my face retinol of choice to alternate with a prescription retinoid. It contains the same percentage of retinol and I can easily adjust the amount without looking greasy. Also to counteract any dryness from tretinoin I prefer something more hydrating.

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2013 7:43:00 PM More reviews by candystripelegs

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I'd like to begin this review by addressing the purpose of using retinol. Think of it as a preventative treatment that will help build collagen and delay free-radical damage, therefore keeping your skin younger looking over time. Added benefits can include reduction in acne, better skin texture, lightened age spots/wrinkles but if a "wrinkle cream" to erase your sun damage is what you are looking for, perhaps a AHA cream would provide more results. And of course, using a prescription retinoid will have different results and possibly more irritating side effects.

Soo...when people say "it didn't work", it makes me skeptical. I have been using the Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle Retinol night cream since I was about 19 years old, I'm 34 now and I can definitely see a difference between my skin and my sister who is 2 years younger than me. I have no doubt in my mind that using retinol for over a decade combined with sunscreen has made all the difference in my skin. Even after smoking a pack a day in my 20s (quit 3 years ago), I am extremely grateful that I took care of my skin then. I can't imagine how prematurely older I would look otherwise!!

That being said, I recently have switched to the PC serum because I wanted something lighter and am trying to only use products made my companies who don't do animal testing.
This contains no fragrance and has other anti-oxidants that help skin so that's always a bonus. Too many anti-aging products have fragrance and it instantly makes my skin itch.
I love the pump and packaging, a twist lock pump is awesome for travel and in general, the packaging looks very classy! I got annoyed with the squeeze tube from the other product I was using because after awhile, the metal would would wear down and I'd get little tiny holes in the tube.
The texture is light, silky and much better for oily skin than a cream. I only use this at night though so I can't attest to how it performs under makeup.
I find I experience less redness (a common side effect from retinol) with this product than my Neutrogena one. I think it's because it's easier to spread so it's easier to use the recommend amount. With the cream, I always ended up using more and having to rub more which really irritates my skin.
Upon waking, my skin feels even and smooth, not oily. The cream I was using always made my skin greasy by the time I woke up.

It's a bit on the pricey side for my budget but they always have sales and it should last a good 4 months considering you only need a few drops. I will purchase this again, it's an upgrade from the Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle Retinol night cream. but that is a good option as well and would probably be better for people with normal/dry skin.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No