July 31, 2014 | 1264 users online

Treatments (Face) - Paula's Choice - RESIST Intensive Wrinkle-Repair Retinol Serum

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/27/2014 10:28:00 AM More reviews by pillager13

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I really want to like Paula's Choice products. I appreciate the research she conducts on cosmetics and her attention to toxic chemicals in products. I'm not particularly keen on mail order skin care products because I prefer shopping at brick and mortar stores, but her customer service is outstanding. Overall though I've been really disappointed in her products, which is surprising given the high ratings this brand receives on MUA. The consistency is really thick and oily, so doesn't absorb very quickly. I've been using this serum for over six months and have seen no improvement in my skin, either the tone or the appearance of the light wrinkles I have.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2014 6:17:00 PM More reviews by Eire1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I HAD MULTIPLE SAMPLES.
If you have deep wrinkling this alone will minimize the appearance of them butnot get rid of them. This does have a formula that can gaurantee skin health( provided you have no allergys.)
Initially the serum feels oily and it can clump this problem resolves itself though when it dries. It may initially feel uncomftorable on oily skin until it dries. It may seem to give temporary relief to drier skin types.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2014 10:24:00 PM More reviews by alina08

I really like where Paula is coming from and how she promotes using formulas that have clinical results, not just a lot of hype. My biggest problem with this product is the texture. I cannot get over how oily (but not oily, more like, silicon-y) this feels on my face. It feels heavy like it does not absorb. I have not been able to use this long enough to truly evaluate the product because I do not enjoy using the product due to the texture. I was much more satisfied with Peter Thomas Roth's retinol serum, although it is more expensive.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/12/2014 4:40:00 AM More reviews by kitty55

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have used many Retinol products and have to say this one is the worst. It is extremely oily and slippery, making it very unpleasant to use. Results are a resounding meh. I am not at all impressed with this line and trashed the products I bought..

rated 4 of 5 on 7/10/2014 2:01:00 PM More reviews by janeen83

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love a lot of Paula's Choice products and I use a few of them on a daily basis. I loved this product at first because it has such a velvety feel to it when you apply. It's so silky and smooth! I took a break from it though because it was leaving my face too oily. My face is on the normal/oily side so this product may be too moisturizing for my skin type. On that note, it did not cause me to break out or anything like that. When I have more mature skin, I may give it another try.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2014 3:49:00 PM More reviews by aspiecutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I have mixed feelings about this
My knowledge of skincare is extensive so I can certainly what it contains, but I am not a big fan of the consistency and the packaging.

They say it has a silky texture and you only need a few drops. But how much retinol is that? The results you see depend on the amount primarily. A higher concentration helps bring more active ingredient on the skin but you can't just spread two drops over your entire face. You can but you'd be applying more retinol if you were using a less concentrated product with a light cream consistency. No irritation?! No thanks! Irritation can be minimized by adding soothing ingredients but it still is a direct indicator of the concentration of Vitamin A. If I get no irritation when I apply more, then it means I wasn't applying enough to begin with. It needs to be fine-tuned, but not too far below what your skin can tolerate.

I have also used the Neutrogena Healthy Skin Night for quite some time. It has a simple but solid formula and the metal tube is great. That's what is used for prescription strength retinoids anyways, and unlike similar looking plastic tubes there's no air getting back in after you squeeze. It is also easy to cut open with scissors to get out the remaining product when it's finished. This twist up bottle seems fancy but complicated. Maybe it's more necessary for silicone textures but I actually prefer retinol as a light cream. You do need something more moisturizing anyway since retinoids and retinol are drying.

I have tested this for more than one month daily in sample size. That is exactly 1m. That would be 1 month for the full size, and 7 days only for the sample size - supposed to last you three weeks? At first I thought it would be too much but I get no reaction from this. No warm tingling sensation as I apply it, and no irritation the next day. What I preferred about Neutrogena is that with trial and error I could soon determine my tolerance level and continue with it. It does not make me look greasy.

UPDATE 02/23/2014: I have since moved on to the RESIST Retinol Skin-Smoothing Body Treatment as my face retinol of choice to alternate with a prescription retinoid. It contains the same percentage of retinol and I can easily adjust the amount without looking greasy. Also to counteract any dryness from tretinoin I prefer something more hydrating.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2014 6:58:00 PM More reviews by ckb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I just finished my first bottle of this serum. It has taken me almost a year with using one pump almost every night. I like to mix this with PC Vitamin C serum, but often wore it solo. I only wear this at night because it makes my face super shiny/oily - at first. I have dry/normal skin and after about 10 minutes -- it soaks into my skin. I would rub the leftovers onto the back of my hands, too. I didn't notice a significant wrinkle reduction in my face, but I definitely LOVE this product and the way it makes my skin look. I feel like it contributed to the new, youthful glow I've had over the past year.

Sometimes retinol products are a little harsh on my face, but I feel like this is very silicone-y. It feels so nice when applying it. The only reason I didn't give it 5 lippies is because I think the packaging is ridiculous. I never knew how much I had left. I can't get into it to scrape the last bits and I had a hard time pumping it out sometimes. Also, the price is a little steep, but PC is wonderful with their sales.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2014 7:21:00 PM More reviews by MakeupMomma

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love this serum! At first I was turned off by the oiliness of this product, but after using it for over two months I absolutely love it! I really feel it has made a difference in my skin. I am in my early 40s and just starting to show signs of aging on my face. At the same time, my skin is very oily and acne prone. This serum does make my face look and feel even oilier so I just use it at night. Since I started using this product my skin looks and feels much smoother. The fine lines I had on my forehead and around my eye area seem to have noticeably diminished and my skin tone has evened out. The only downside to this product is the price, but I bought it for 20% off on dermstore.com. PC often has sales, so I would definitely wait and get it then if you're wanting to try this product.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 4:45:00 PM More reviews by Pheebie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Years ago when Paula introduced this serum, I was already a fan of several of her products, and still am to this day. What I am NOT a fan of are silicones, at least not in facial skin care. I was well aware that the first two ingredients here are silicones, but I was so eager to try the latest-and-greatest retinol product, and from a source I trusted, that I put my aversion aside and kept an open mind. After all, the remainder of the ingredient list is impressive, as is the packaging.

Unfortunately, this is not a match for me. My skin is oily, with all the lovliness that entails: large pores, the tendency to clog, a breakout here and there. I gave this product several tries, even tossing it out and repurchasing it years later, thinking that maybe THIS time would be different. After all, our skin's needs change over time, and with so many positive reviews, surely it would work for me eventually. But no - each time was a fail. I'd apply the serum at night, suppressing my gag reflex at the slimy texture that is the hallmark of silicone-based products (and the very thing I DESPISE). I'd go to sleep believing that one morning I'd wake up and see the amazing results that so many others were experiencing.

{sigh} All I saw were bumps. Little ones, under the surface, and breakouts in places where I don't typically get them. This was the same result with each attempt. I tried waiting it out, thinking I merely needed to endure a 'purge' period. In the end, I realized I was the odd man out and this simply was not the product for me. Cheers to those who have success - I envy you!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2013 5:43:00 AM More reviews by Itsheatherlol

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Been using for over 3 months and have notice my skin looks more refreshed and brighter but mostly notably a fine line on my forehead has been significantly reduced to the point where it's no longer noticeable unless you hunt for it with your face pressed to the mirror (even then I sometimes can't see it). It has also helped reduced the lines under my eyes, but sadly they are still noticeable though much improved.

Great product, goes on lovely, doesn't break me out, reduces wrinkles and refreshes skin.

10 out of 10.