October 24, 2014 | 1674 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - E.L.F. - Studio Lock & Seal

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 on 10/16/2014 10:31:00 PM More reviews by Steelermummeh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I'm ever the cynic (comes from having a background in pharmaceuticals...and being a Virgo. One is bad enough, but both together? Sheeeesh!), so when I received this in an E.L.F haul I didn't really do much except immediately lose the little mixing doodad and get distracted. I suspect I'll find that doodad the exact same day the Universe is set to implode and I'll be sitting here thinking "Well, my "End Of The World" party is going to completely suck because my eyeshadow isn't locked in properly".

Now it's Thursday night, I've just bought out Amazon's entire stock of A Much Beloved Drugstore Eyeshadow Brand, the football is on and I'm about to mix up my henna mix for tomorrow. Now is as good a time as any, right?

So! It comes in a nondescript black plastic bottle which holds 15ml of product. There's a dropper-style top, and for those who are far more responsible than I there's also a little clear plastic mixing tray. Also present is a mini application brush (though as you'd probably guess, I lost that too and ended up using a Q-tip).

Doesn't smell like anything (and I smell everything - almost obsessively), and the fluid is clear, if somewhat thinner than I'd expect.

Now there are oodles of things it's meant to do, but I stuck with its primary function which is to... well, do what the label says, largely "setting" and "locking" your eye makeup.

Dripped a few drips into the lid of a freshly opened bottle of water, dipped in my trusty Q-tip and swept it very lightly across the gussied-up lid. Rinse and repeat (well, there's no need to rinse) for the other eyelid.

Sit and waited 5 minutes while I was wondering what the heck was happening because the Jets are in the lead...and they're playing the Pats. No change in make up even after a hearty rub.

Okay! Now I shall go about my business for ten minutes.

Came back to the desk.

Tentatively rubbed my eye (see? I'm willing to risk life and limb in order to make things safer for you!),

Nope, nothing happening.

10 minutes later, I'm as surprised as Geno Smith must be. I can't even deliberately smudge my eyeshadow.

I mean SERIOUSLY. This makeup will.not.smudge!

Given that I can tell within about minus 10 seconds whether something is going to irritate me, this one is going into the "Yes, please!" drawer.

Please do not recklessly ignore your eyes though.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/30/2014 7:00:00 PM More reviews by doubleglowwseven

Love this! I was using this with a little black shadow to tightline and seal my eyeliner in with. And it works great! Then I pulled out my Laura Mercier cake liner. OMG!! Amazing!! Zero, zilch, absolutely NO transfer to the bottom lash line or any smudging at all!! All day!! I need some back ups and I'm going to try it on my brows like others have suggested.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2014 10:49:00 AM More reviews by sage4dylan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really like this product. First, I used it just over eyeshadow and liner. It keeps it there and in place. Keeps it from transferring and smudging also. You only need enough to wet the brush that comes with it because if you apply too much, it will make your makeup run. so there is a little bit of a learning curve to it. Second, I am starting to learn to foil my shadows and this is awesome for that. Once you get it on, the shadow goes no where till you take it off. It makes the color intense and I love that. This will last a while because you only need 2 or 3 drops at a time but i will buy more once I run out.

rated 2 of 5 on 9/19/2014 12:09:00 PM More reviews by Tuffy7

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After some tinkering I have given up on this stuff. It definitely doesn't 'lock' eyeshadow on your eye, and it stings. When I tried rubbing a moistened brush across an eyeshadow (to make a liner) it turned the shadow hard and basically ruined it.

It does hold brows in place, but no better than hairspray. I say pass.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/11/2014 11:48:00 AM More reviews by sekhmet

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

If you have sensitive eyes like I do, beware of this product! I get tired of always using eye makeup primer, so I thought I would try this for a change. One day I used the brush to pat some of this over my eyeshadow. Almost immediately, the product began irritating my eyes. It didn't get worse, but it continued throughout the workday, like a bad case of eyestrain. By the time I got home I was SOO glad to wash it off. I don't remember if I used mu remover or just washed my face, but the product did not come off and continued to bother me. (I'm sure I should have used eye makeup remover, but sometimes that bothers me too, so I just didn't.) Finally after a couple of days the product wore off and stopped irritating me. I blame myself more than the product--with my super sensitive eyes, I should have known better than to try it. Maybe I'll try this on my lips or over a temporary tattoo sometime, but never again on my eyes! And it wasn't a total loss, as I'm sure I can find a use for the brush. Still, if you have sensitive eyes, stay away!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2014 9:14:00 PM More reviews by Simpliciti3

This stuff is really neat! I bought it because it had really good reviews and it's a very versitile product.

The product comes in a little bottle like an eye dropper. It also comes with a brush that's like a concealor brush and a very tiny little plastic bowl. What you do is put a few drops (3-4) into the bowl, soak your brush into the product and then use it.

I mainly use this to keep my eye makeup looking the same from application to the end of the day/night. What I do is use a primer (ELF mineral eye primer, love it!) then go on with my eye makeup application. After I'm done, I soak the brush in the product and dab it over my eye makeup. I find that this really locks in my eye makeup, it's really awesome! It works kind of like how you use a topcoat over your nail polish, I know this isn't the way the product is meant to be used but it still works amazingly!

I've also tried using this to lock in red lipstick, and it works really well. I pretty much do the same thing I do to lock in my eye makeup.

Overally, I would recomment this to anyone who wants a versitile product that will keep your makeup lasting all day!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2014 11:49:00 AM More reviews by akPhilly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

While I've never tried this to actually 'seal' in my shadow or liner to extend the wear, what I use it for is as a mixing medium, like I'll add some to my pigments or eyeshadows to make liquid eyeliner. And it really is fantastic for that purpose! Probably the best mixing medium I've tried for doing that. It really makes it so it goes in smooth, vibrant, & lasts all day without cracking, flaking, bleeding, or going anywhere. It's a great price as well!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2014 3:52:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've only recently started using cake liners because I'm making a concerted effort to finally learn how to do real eye make up (shadow, upper lids lined, the works). A months ago, I bought a cake liner on eBay by Georgette Klinger. I used it a few times with water and barely showed up. I chalked it up to the possibility that the liner was old and chucked it in a drawer. I decided to try again and bought Laura Mercier's cake liner which I really like. Thanks to reviews here and on Sephora, I didn't buy the Tightline Activator because most people said it was comparable to water and water worked better. I did get good results from simply using water but I did want something that created a darker line. Enter elf's Lock and Seal.

I had no idea this product existed until I read about it here. One reviewer raved about it and since it's elf, I knew it likely would be over $5 so taking a chance couldn't hurt. For whatever reason, all of the Wal-Marts in my area don't carry this. By chance, I was out shopping in another town and was forced to stop at a Wal-Mart I never would have gone to. As soon as I walked in the door, there was a display of elf cosmetics with boxes of Lock and Seal staring back at me. I bought two then and there!

I've used this for the past couple of weeks with great results. Since I'm still a novice with cake liner, using it has taken some getting used to. I used far too much the first time and quickly learned that one drop in the little container it comes with or directly onto the cake liner is plenty. I was hesitant that this might muck up my liner but it dried and looks exactly the same. The color payoff I get from using this is far better than just using water. Even the Georgette Klinger liner I thought was old gave me very black lines. This also makes the liner nearly smudge proof. I've yet to use it with any other kind of liners but I plan to pair with a gel liner in hopes than I can use that on my upper lids from times to time.

Lock and Seal is really one of those gems that I'm glad I found. elf is really hit or miss for me so I rarely try their products on a whim. This is also far, far cheaper than any other transformer and is likely as good if not better. If you're looking for a product to make the whole eye lining process easier, I would highly recommend this. You also can't do better than $3 so even if you don't like it, you're not breaking the bank.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2014 8:40:00 PM More reviews by sabbia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product has been an absolute godsend for my eyebrows!

My brows have been slowly thinning from age and are now so sparse in areas that I have had to apply eyebrow product directly on bare skin, therefore Ihave been in need of a product that will stay in place throughout the day and to withstand any accidental eyebrow touching. Even the products I've tried that are touted as being "long wearing" or waterproof would only last in the areas that had sufficient brow hairs engulfing it, but would fade quickly throughout the day in the more bare areas or, as with some products, get wiped away immediately if I accidentally touched the area.

So....I have been on the hunt for a waterproof, smudgeproof, unbudging eyebrow product (pencil, gel, powder-- I didn't care) and was willing to pay any amount for it. My next products in line to test was to be Anastasia Dipbrow.

Enter E.L.F. Lock & Seal--I stumbled across this product here on MUA and thought, what-the-heck, it was worth a measly $3 to try it out.

Bingo! I finally have indestructible eyebrows!

After some experimenting, here's what I found works best:

1) Create brow (I have been using powder with this product but imagine pencil would work just as well.)
2) Put one drop of Lock & Seal liquid in the small containor supplied and dip the end of the brush that is included with the kit into the liquid.
3) Dab/stipple lightly the end of the bristles into all areas where there is eyebrow product that you want to stay put.
4) Repeat steps 2 & 3 until all eyebrow product has been covered in Lock & Seal. (I find one drop per eyebrow is all I need to cover everything)
5) It sets, it dries---IT DOES NOT MOVE.

My eyebrows survives scratches, accidental rubbings, and they even stayed in tact after taking a shower and washing my hair (I purposely but my face directly under the highest pressure setting on the shower nozzle and they merely faded just a slight bit). Only eyemakeup remover directly applied removes them.

I haven't tried mixing shadows or creams with the Lock & Seal as per instructions but I do know that I wouldn't advise dipping a brush in the Lock & Seal first and then dipping that same brush immediately afterwards into an eyeshadow or brow powder that is still in its original pan because the Lock & Seal liquid will transfer to the pan and cause an unusable area in the powder.

I am so glad I don't have to spend $20 on the Anastasia DipBrow or any other product.

18 out of 18 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2014 11:27:00 AM More reviews by wixter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product worked okay.

It foiled my pigments, but they didn't last that long on my eye. This foiled my pigments just the same as water and lasted just as long as water would. This product also stung my eyes.

It did the job that it was designed to do, but it didn't do it to my liking. I'm not going to purchase this again.