August 21, 2014 | 1818 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - E.L.F. - Studio Lock & Seal

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 8/3/2014 11:49:00 AM More reviews by akPhilly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

While I've never tried this to actually 'seal' in my shadow or liner to extend the wear, what I use it for is as a mixing medium, like I'll add some to my pigments or eyeshadows to make liquid eyeliner. And it really is fantastic for that purpose! Probably the best mixing medium I've tried for doing that. It really makes it so it goes in smooth, vibrant, & lasts all day without cracking, flaking, bleeding, or going anywhere. It's a great price as well!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2014 3:52:00 AM More reviews by LeMinx

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've only recently started using cake liners because I'm making a concerted effort to finally learn how to do real eye make up (shadow, upper lids lined, the works). A months ago, I bought a cake liner on eBay by Georgette Klinger. I used it a few times with water and barely showed up. I chalked it up to the possibility that the liner was old and chucked it in a drawer. I decided to try again and bought Laura Mercier's cake liner which I really like. Thanks to reviews here and on Sephora, I didn't buy the Tightline Activator because most people said it was comparable to water and water worked better. I did get good results from simply using water but I did want something that created a darker line. Enter elf's Lock and Seal.

I had no idea this product existed until I read about it here. One reviewer raved about it and since it's elf, I knew it likely would be over $5 so taking a chance couldn't hurt. For whatever reason, all of the Wal-Marts in my area don't carry this. By chance, I was out shopping in another town and was forced to stop at a Wal-Mart I never would have gone to. As soon as I walked in the door, there was a display of elf cosmetics with boxes of Lock and Seal staring back at me. I bought two then and there!

I've used this for the past couple of weeks with great results. Since I'm still a novice with cake liner, using it has taken some getting used to. I used far too much the first time and quickly learned that one drop in the little container it comes with or directly onto the cake liner is plenty. I was hesitant that this might muck up my liner but it dried and looks exactly the same. The color payoff I get from using this is far better than just using water. Even the Georgette Klinger liner I thought was old gave me very black lines. This also makes the liner nearly smudge proof. I've yet to use it with any other kind of liners but I plan to pair with a gel liner in hopes than I can use that on my upper lids from times to time.

Lock and Seal is really one of those gems that I'm glad I found. elf is really hit or miss for me so I rarely try their products on a whim. This is also far, far cheaper than any other transformer and is likely as good if not better. If you're looking for a product to make the whole eye lining process easier, I would highly recommend this. You also can't do better than $3 so even if you don't like it, you're not breaking the bank.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2014 8:40:00 PM More reviews by sabbia

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product has been an absolute godsend for my eyebrows!

My brows have been slowly thinning from age and are now so sparse in areas that I have had to apply eyebrow product directly on bare skin, therefore Ihave been in need of a product that will stay in place throughout the day and to withstand any accidental eyebrow touching. Even the products I've tried that are touted as being "long wearing" or waterproof would only last in the areas that had sufficient brow hairs engulfing it, but would fade quickly throughout the day in the more bare areas or, as with some products, get wiped away immediately if I accidentally touched the area.

So....I have been on the hunt for a waterproof, smudgeproof, unbudging eyebrow product (pencil, gel, powder-- I didn't care) and was willing to pay any amount for it. My next products in line to test was to be Anastasia Dipbrow.

Enter E.L.F. Lock & Seal--I stumbled across this product here on MUA and thought, what-the-heck, it was worth a measly $3 to try it out.

Bingo! I finally have indestructible eyebrows!

After some experimenting, here's what I found works best:

1) Create brow (I have been using powder with this product but imagine pencil would work just as well.)
2) Put one drop of Lock & Seal liquid in the small containor supplied and dip the end of the brush that is included with the kit into the liquid.
3) Dab/stipple lightly the end of the bristles into all areas where there is eyebrow product that you want to stay put.
4) Repeat steps 2 & 3 until all eyebrow product has been covered in Lock & Seal. (I find one drop per eyebrow is all I need to cover everything)
5) It sets, it dries---IT DOES NOT MOVE.

My eyebrows survives scratches, accidental rubbings, and they even stayed in tact after taking a shower and washing my hair (I purposely but my face directly under the highest pressure setting on the shower nozzle and they merely faded just a slight bit). Only eyemakeup remover directly applied removes them.

I haven't tried mixing shadows or creams with the Lock & Seal as per instructions but I do know that I wouldn't advise dipping a brush in the Lock & Seal first and then dipping that same brush immediately afterwards into an eyeshadow or brow powder that is still in its original pan because the Lock & Seal liquid will transfer to the pan and cause an unusable area in the powder.

I am so glad I don't have to spend $20 on the Anastasia DipBrow or any other product.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/26/2014 11:27:00 AM More reviews by wixter

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This product worked okay.

It foiled my pigments, but they didn't last that long on my eye. This foiled my pigments just the same as water and lasted just as long as water would. This product also stung my eyes.

It did the job that it was designed to do, but it didn't do it to my liking. I'm not going to purchase this again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2014 10:35:00 AM More reviews by piccolamandorla

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Awesome mixing medium! I always have two bottles on hand in case I lose one. If you love your cake eyeliner but not the pricey the so-called liquid activators or enhancers sold with them, you'll want to have a bottle or two of this on-hand. This is the same thing and at not even a quarter of the price. It makes quick work of tightlining and does not damage or dry out the cake. One drop in the middle of your liner is all you need. I use this with all my liners from Laura Mercier to Fran Wilson. It's yet to ruin one. Plus if you mess up, it doesn't sting your eyes. You can also use it to turn a shadow into liner or a long lasting paste. Just scrape some shadow off into the provided container or onto a palette and mix it up! Love it!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2014 11:39:00 AM More reviews by HRivera1923

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I use this product a bit differently than it's meant for. I buy several bottles at a time and pour them into an empty (E.L.F. mist and set) bottle. I have used many setting sprays, until I started doing this, I was using Urban Decay which I loved, but this just works better. I love not having to worry about touch ups when I'm out. HG product when used in a spray bottle.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/24/2013 8:33:00 PM More reviews by Craftingal84

Beware! Don't get this in your eyes! It burns. Overall it's good but be careful when using.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2013 6:19:00 PM More reviews by NaturalBeautyLovr

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is a must have if you love to foil eyeshadows or if you own a lot of baked/mineral shadows. Before purchasing this, I was just using water to apply my mineral shadows, which worked ok, but had a tendency to cake up a bit. With this, I put a drop on a clean flat surface, dip a synthetic brush into it, wipe the excess off on my hand then go straight into the shadow. Applies the shadows with minimal fallout and really packs on the color! And, unlike with just water, truly "locks" them on - no glittery specks dropping onto your cheekbones all day. I still use a primer (I do with all shadows), so I don't experience creasing. I highly recommend this for everyone to have in their stash!
Edit: Still loving this. I've also found if you have a shimmery shadow that you don't want to ruin by dipping a wet brush into the pan, you can apply the shadow first (I like to press it on with a clean finger) then dampen a brush with this and press over shadow.

12 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2013 4:06:00 PM More reviews by Law1747

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I bought this product on a whim and I'm so glad I did! I've used it to set eye liner and lip gloss and both have worked phenomenally! I was super surprised by the way it worked with the lip gloss. It never caked or looked gross and stayed glossy! Highly recommended!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2013 5:25:00 PM More reviews by MsPsylocke

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

One of the first products I had ever bought from ELF. Well glad I did because this product is amazing to me. I use a setting spray but even so with eye primer UDPP or TheBalm as of late my eyes tear and my makeup will get ruined. Since I found this little gem I can now use all of my palettes again:) I use whatever brush that works good for my face. Like for my eyes I use a MAC brush that is long,flat, and dense. I use 1-2 drops. Let it absorb and gently pat my lid. I do not use too much because then it's to stiff. Using just a moist brush over my shadow and liner works! It will not budge until I remove it! Seriously this is an excellent product to make you makeup stay put.

I personally wouldn't use this for foiling because it does feel super stiff. I use Missha mixing medium it has hyluronic acid and a lot of good stuff and is super reasonable. So I would use a mixing medium not this for my eye looks. For me it works better when I pat it on after my eye look is done. I can cry,get allergies, whatever and this will not let my look be ruined. I will be buying more for the price you cannot go wrong, it works and a little goes a long way! Love!
Highly Recommended!