E.L.F. Studio Lock & Seal

4.1

Price: $

Price: $

Aqua(Water), Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer, Propylene Glycol, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

on 7/18/2015 1:08:00 AM

This is a bit of a must have for me! At least if I can find a way to decant it into another bottle... Because, first off, the bottle is crap. Leaks everywhere! So it's not very travel friendly as is. But I might be able to fix that. The reason I like it so dang much is I have problems with my inner and outer corners of my eyes will fade into nothing. I've struggled with it for years until one day, I thought I would experiment with this little bottle of wonderful. I'll get a little bit on a cotton swab, dab it on my inner and outer corners, and bam, I'm fierce for the rest of the day! If I'm using a loose shadow or pigment, I'll use this to help adhere it, or to help give it a little more shine. Overall, for $3, it's a steal. Packaging sucks, but I can manage.

on 7/17/2015 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

another disappointing product from elf. I do enjoy their brushes and some blushes, but that's about it since they discontinued their mineral line.

this lock and seal irritated my eyes like crazy!! normally my eyes are not sensitive but I'm positive this is what triggered it.

eye primer locks my look in much longer than this!
eye drops do the job much better!! I understand using this to try to make a shadow into a liner, but unless it's a unique color...just go buy an eyeliner.
if you are going to try to get a liner out of a shadow, drop some eye drops on your brush then go into the corner of an eyeshadow to pick up product. don't ruin the whole shadow by putting the drop directly on the shadow

don't store it in your makeup bag bc the packaging leaks unless it's standing upright.
they give you a tiny clear bowl to mix the eyeshadow in or put the liquid in and dip the brush in. they should be made this part of the cap or somehow attached it... I just dont think the packaging was thought out.
some may argue that the brush can be used for shadow or liner, but that person would be wrong. the brush is too thick for liner and too flat and hard for shadow.

nice idea, but it just didn't come together
not a product I would trust near my eye area again

on 5/10/2015 8:17:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I use this to apply liner (loose and pressed eyeshadow). It works very nicely. Definitely had more staying power that just water but I've never tried eye drops or contact solution.

on 5/9/2015 7:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

It does apply eyeshadow wonderfully as liner. That's all I've used it for. bottle Bottle does leak if stored on side. It works but wrecks your shadows if you're using it directly with the pan. I try to limit use too cheap shadows I don't mind ruining or having to scrape.

on 3/15/2015 5:15:00 PM

I needed something that I could mix with my black eyeshadow to tight line my upper lashes without having it fade or flake on my face. This stuff is amazing for that! I just dip my eyeliner brush into the liquid and then into whichever eyeshadow I want to use (typically black for tight lining) and use as if it were normal eyeliner. I never used the brush it came with though so I'm not quite sure how that holds up, but I'm very happy with the sealant itself.

on 1/12/2015 4:15:00 AM

I use this as a liner, not to seal in eyeshadows. I wet eyeshadow with this and use it as a colored liquid liner. The brush is not intended for this purpose though. I don't think I will repurchase because of non-necessity.

on 10/16/2014 10:31:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I'm ever the cynic (comes from having a background in pharmaceuticals...and being a Virgo. One is bad enough, but both together? Sheeeesh!), so when I received this in an E.L.F haul I didn't really do much except immediately lose the little mixing doodad and get distracted. I suspect I'll find that doodad the exact same day the Universe is set to implode and I'll be sitting here thinking "Well, my "End Of The World" party is going to completely suck because my eyeshadow isn't locked in properly".

Now it's Thursday night, I've just bought out Amazon's entire stock of A Much Beloved Drugstore Eyeshadow Brand, the football is on and I'm about to mix up my henna mix for tomorrow. Now is as good a time as any, right?

So! It comes in a nondescript black plastic bottle which holds 15ml of product. There's a dropper-style top, and for those who are far more responsible than I there's also a little clear plastic mixing tray. Also present is a mini application brush (though as you'd probably guess, I lost that too and ended up using a Q-tip).

Doesn't smell like anything (and I smell everything - almost obsessively), and the fluid is clear, if somewhat thinner than I'd expect.

Now there are oodles of things it's meant to do, but I stuck with its primary function which is to... well, do what the label says, largely "setting" and "locking" your eye makeup.

Dripped a few drips into the lid of a freshly opened bottle of water, dipped in my trusty Q-tip and swept it very lightly across the gussied-up lid. Rinse and repeat (well, there's no need to rinse) for the other eyelid.

Sit and waited 5 minutes while I was wondering what the heck was happening because the Jets are in the lead...and they're playing the Pats. No change in make up even after a hearty rub.

Okay! Now I shall go about my business for ten minutes.

Came back to the desk.

Tentatively rubbed my eye (see? I'm willing to risk life and limb in order to make things safer for you!),

Nope, nothing happening.

10 minutes later, I'm as surprised as Geno Smith must be. I can't even deliberately smudge my eyeshadow.

I mean SERIOUSLY. This makeup will.not.smudge!

Given that I can tell within about minus 10 seconds whether something is going to irritate me, this one is going into the "Yes, please!" drawer.

Please do not recklessly ignore your eyes though.

Love this! I was using this with a little black shadow to tightline and seal my eyeliner in with. And it works great! Then I pulled out my Laura Mercier cake liner. OMG!! Amazing!! Zero, zilch, absolutely NO transfer to the bottom lash line or any smudging at all!! All day!! I need some back ups and I'm going to try it on my brows like others have suggested.

on 9/24/2014 10:49:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

I really like this product. First, I used it just over eyeshadow and liner. It keeps it there and in place. Keeps it from transferring and smudging also. You only need enough to wet the brush that comes with it because if you apply too much, it will make your makeup run. so there is a little bit of a learning curve to it. Second, I am starting to learn to foil my shadows and this is awesome for that. Once you get it on, the shadow goes no where till you take it off. It makes the color intense and I love that. This will last a while because you only need 2 or 3 drops at a time but i will buy more once I run out.

on 9/19/2014 12:09:00 PM

After some tinkering I have given up on this stuff. It definitely doesn't 'lock' eyeshadow on your eye, and it stings. When I tried rubbing a moistened brush across an eyeshadow (to make a liner) it turned the shadow hard and basically ruined it.

It does hold brows in place, but no better than hairspray. I say pass.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools