October 24, 2014 | 1677 users online

Eye Shadow - MISSHA - Signature Velvet Art Shadow

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2012 11:13:00 AM More reviews by zero347

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Absolutely stunning packaging - it rivals ultra high end brands like Guerlain in beauty! The product itself is decent but won't work for everyone. I purchased it in Grace combination and I found that it did not have a lot of pigment, but was super soft and had zero fallout or crumble. It provides a subtle wash of color/slight shimmer (which I generally prefer) but will not satisfy those looking for bold looks and high color payoff. I had no issues with itching or allergies as some brands cause for me and I am pretty sensitive, so I would suggest trying it out for anyone else with allergy issues. In all I will definitely buy it again as it suits my needs perfectly.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2012 12:21:00 AM More reviews by PiMehMeh

Gorgeous packaging. It really does reel in the packaging snobs!

These eyeshadow quads come in a pretty good variety of color combinations and I believe they do add new ones once in a while. I have two of these quads, in No.3 Khaki and No.8 Retro. The quads are actually trio eyeshadows and a liner shadow, but you could get away with using the liner shadow for smokey V corners too.

First of all, the packaging is beautiful and drew me in to swap for one of them and to buy the other. Although the packaging is absolutely stellar—metal casing, embossed design, and included compact mirror—the actual eyeshadow product does leave a lot to be desired. The sponge brush applicators are practically useless, in fact I apply the eyeshadows with my fingers.

The eyeshadow pigmentation is rather lackluster, which is ironic because all of the colors in the quad are shimmery to different degrees. The quads include a good value range between lights and darks, and the texture is soft and easy to pick up with just your finger tips. But pigmentation of the shadows is surprisingly sheer. If you want better pigmentation, you really need to use a cream-based eyeshadow primer and pack the eyeshadow on really well.

But the more you pack on, the more you risk the shimmery fall-out. Better have a fan brush on hand to clean up the mess. The only color of the four that does have excellent pigmentation is the liner/darkest color. The others have so much shimmer that sometimes you can't tell the difference between the colors after applying them.

The worst experience I had with these eyeshadows is that the pan in one of them quads that I had cracked and fell out of the pan! All four of the eyeshadows are packed into a single pan and apparently this particular quad, Khaki, did not have enough adhesion to the pan and when the quad was held vertically, the eyeshadows simply just fell out and shattered all over my floor. I packed most of it back into the pan but it still crumbles and I can no longer take the Khaki quad with me on the go without shadows falling out of the case into my bag. It was a sad day! Luckily, the other one hasn't cracked yet so I'm hoping the Khaki quad was just a fluke!

As much as I loved the outside packaging of the compact, I can't say I would want to get another one of these quads for fear of another pan of eyeshadow just falling out again. These quads are very pricey when they're not on sale too, at $24 a pop, $13 on sale. Honestly their other lines of eyeshadows, The Style—which are literally nothing more than single, dinky plastic pans—have much better pigmentation than their Velvet Art quads do, and The Style eyeshadows are only $2 at most. Don't let the pretty packaging fool you like they did to me!