September 21, 2014 | 1695 users online

Styling Products - Alterna - Bamboo Silk-Sleek Brillance Cream

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 12:41:00 AM More reviews by mooshrimp

This cream is pretty good, but frankly I don't get BETTER results from it than I get from my extremely chip Organix Argan Oil hair stuff, which I can get on sale for about $3/bottle. It works as well, certainly does a nice job smoothing down the frizzies, smells good, makes hair smooth and soft, but it's not different from any other silicone based cream on the market.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2013 9:37:00 AM More reviews by Ravenn

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this to replace another silicone based hair serum I have been using to seal moisture and shine. Positives: I love the gentle scent! It smells fresh like lemongrass mixed with watermelon. Negatives: Not moisturizing at all. In fact, doesn't seem to smooth my hair one bit. And I really hate the shiny glitter in this! I would never have tried this if I knew about the glitter.

All in all, I'm disappointed. This is the first Alterna product I've used that I really dislike.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2013 1:05:00 AM More reviews by msdi2u

I am on my second tube of this, and I LOVE it!!! I had long been on the search for the perfect hair texturizer that gives my (fine) hair shine, body & volume... without weighing it down or making it look greasy, dirty, or sticky. And, this is IT-- I finally found it-- and I couldn't be happier! Ever since I stumbled upon Alterna Bamboo Silk-Sleek Brilliance Cream, I haven't touched any of my old hair texturizers, frizz serums, Argan oils, or other oils by CHI and Farouk because they just don't measure up anymore.

The directions on the tube say to use it on damp hair after towel-drying, but I use it as a finishing cream after my hair is already blow-dried. It tames all my frizzies and cowlicks and smooths them into place without flattening my hair or making it look greasy. It's truly amazing! It does have a fragrance in it that reminds me of a male scent... but it doesn't bother me or my allergies, and my daughter told me that my hair smells "so nice" after I use this product. Another positive feature of this styling cream for me is that it does NOT irritate my sensitive skin... as I have had to discard many hair products of this type because they caused a nasty case of eczema to erupt on my hands. Thankfully, this one is lacking whatever fragrance or ingredient that causes the irritation. As another reviewer mentioned, I don't have any problems with the benefits of this styling cream "wearing off" after a few hours. On MY hair, the smoothness and the clean scent last until the next time I wash my hair. I think that Alterna products are fairly expensive and they are not all worth it, but to me, this one is worth every penny! I will continue to repurchase this as long as it's available (and I hope that is FOREVER)!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/27/2012 11:54:00 PM More reviews by Andio

I was looking for something to replace my glossing cream and this is not it. Oh well....will keep looking.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/8/2012 1:47:00 AM More reviews by majanet

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

First, let's give up the pretense of nature. After water, the first ingredient is a cone. Please ignore all the bamboo natural malarkey. Whew, I feel better getting that out.

What I was looking for it to do: I have a good amount of very fine hair - the kind that explodes in humidity. I wanted to see what this product would do, as most drugstore and salon products flatten me out. (My usual routine is Original Neutrogena every 3 days, with Bumble Styling Creme - never any dryness or limpness, but sometimes overfluff.)

What it will do: make your hair smooth like any silicone family product will. I like the smell - there definitely is one, even after two days. The perfume ingredients could be a turn-off for others. Silky waves with airdrying - flat as a pancake with blowdrying.

Next time, I'll use some other weighty product - at least if there are no silicones, I won't get dried out.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/25/2012 8:41:00 PM More reviews by sweetgardenangel

This styling product smells divine, and enhances my hair texture by erasing the frizzies, making it shiny and sleek! In tandem with other Alterna products, such as the Strand Expand, it works doubly hard and seems to pump up the volume in my hair, like 3 times its normal thickness!

I would highly recommend this product because the hair's ends are no longer doing a kink job or "collick" (sp?) on me and not cooperating in going smoothly in my inverted bob style. There are layers in my hair which are being grown out because they are not conducive to the style bob I desire and this product makes them lay where they should!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2012 12:20:00 PM More reviews by italiana800

I don't know why there are so many negative reviews for this cream, because I absoloutley love it. I work in a salon, & I know for a fact that the whole Bamboo line is a bestseller. I've been eyeing this on the shelf for a while now, & I finally gave in & bought it. Yes, this is expensive ($22 to be exact). But for me, this was very worth it. I put this on my hair while it was still wet right after I got out of the shower. You only need to use a little bit with this. On the bottle, it says to use a dime sized amount, but I have really long & thick hair so I used a little more. Then, I combed it through my hair, put the other hair products I use in my hair, & let my hair air dry. Even from before I straightened my hair, this product left my hair so soft, shiny/glossy, sleek, frizz free, & manageable. That's pretty much everything I ask for in a hair product. This doesn't weigh my hair down or make it oily/greasy either. The packaging has a good concept to it, & it's definitely different than other hair product bottles I have, but it can make it a little harder to get the cream out. The only thing that annoys me about this cream is that it contains little glitters, (once they're in your hair, it's not noticeable), but it can be a little too much glitter at times when it gets all over my hands. Other than that, this cream truly is "brilliant." I will definitely buy this again. By the way, this also doubles as a heat protectant.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/6/2012 4:59:00 PM More reviews by harrisss

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Blech. I bought this for $25 because an employee in a beauty outlet store convinced me it was brilliant and a bestseller. It was supposed to make my hair shiny, soft, and frizz-free. Well, it made my hair rough, dry, and did almost nothing to combat the frizz. My hair felt like sandpaper after applying the product. Also, the product claims it's pure and good for your hair, free of parabens, etc. Well, it's full of cones just like every drugstore de-frizzer.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2012 4:27:00 AM More reviews by iTakeNaps

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Me: Hair is healthy, very long, on the fine side, but I have tons of it. Texture is typically somewhere between straight and wavy before styling.

Product: I was really excited when I first found this cream b/c I love Alterna and I really needed a new silk/shine cream.... and then I used it. First, the smell.... almost musky, and more than a little masculine-- it's not overwhelming, but it definitely lasts all day. Not terrible, just not for me. Next, the silk/sleek/shine factor of this cream is really good at first. It's not overly oily, doesn't weigh hair down... I had tried applying it to freshly curled hair to help tame fly-aways and add some silk/shine. And at first I was really impressed at how well it worked. My curls stayed, the frizzies left, and my hair looked shiny and sleek.....until about an hour later. After that first hour, my hair looked incredibly dry and brittle, with zero shine. And usually dryness is NEVER an issue for me. Just to be fair, I did try this product at least 5 times, and each time was exactly the same: subtle masculine scent, great silk/shine for the first hour, incredibly dry and brittle looking hair after. I gave the rest of my bottle away and I won't be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2012 10:20:00 PM More reviews by canadian

My hair is layered, slightly wavy, colored and somewhat dry during the winter months. I usually end up applying a straightening product and blowdry since my waves are only from my ears down.

The woman at Sephora mentioned I only need a dime size amount and to run it through the ends of my hair to bring out the layers, texture.

If you look at the packaging you can apply this to damp hair to bring shine to your hair or apply it dry.

I've only applied this to dry hair and I have to say it does separate and bring shine to my layers. It gives a natural piecy look.

Free of Parabens, Mineral Oil etc

The bottle is a decent size and since I only use a tiny amount it will last me a long time. I will repurchase.