October 21, 2014 | 1758 users online

Hair Treatments - Shea Moisture - Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Reconstructive Elixir

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Nikki_L

I love this stuff. It's all I use on my hair and smells great. It's just a light oil spray that is marketed as an elixir. Love it!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2013 4:37:00 PM More reviews by keoneill

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have very straight hair that I only wash and blow dry three times per week. I wanted a light oil to put on my split ends to keep my blowout looking nice and shiny. I'm growing my hair out and want to prolong the time between trims...aka heal split ends. After I blowdry, I spray this once into the palm of my hand, rub my hands together, and apply to the dry ends of my hair. This stuff helps the split ends look "sealed" and a lot softer. Once it drys and absorbs into my hair, I don't have any oily residue. I think I paid around $10 for a bottle, but considering I only use one spray three times per week, I won't have to repurchase for years. This stuff is exactly what I wanted, and works well enough for me to stop looking for a replacement. Staple!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/10/2013 1:51:00 PM More reviews by jeaninams03

Way too oily for my liking, which is understandable, given that it's raw shea butter oil. I found the Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie provided the benefits of soft hair without the hassle of oil getting everywhere, including on my face.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2012 12:20:00 PM More reviews by itsKelCeeEee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Cool Hair: Brown, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Yeah, I'm gonna have to cosign with the others..."reconstructive" is a bit much. However, it's definitely a fantastic spray to have if you have hair that loses moisture easily, I usually stick to using this is my hair's in a pony puff or bun because this stuff is thick, I wear glasses, and that's just not a cute look. Besides, I have oily skin so I don't like my hair around my face when there's oil in it. It's my favorite drugstore spray by far and I do repurchase...but I had to take off a lippie because you have to be careful when you spray it; it can be concentrated, and if you don't look out you may get a oily looking spot on your head. Nothing raking your fingers through your hair won't fix though.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2012 12:22:00 AM More reviews by missykeyana

Like the previous reviewer, I think that the term "reconstructive elixir" is a little....ambitious. That being said, I still love this product. It's full of goodies with none of the bad stuff. It has the same mild, nutty smell as the rest of the yellow label products. This smell dissipates after you apply the product. I use this oil to seal my hair after applying moisturizer. I've noticed that my ends slip past each other more, indicating more retained moisture. With time, I am hoping to have fewer single-strand knots in my 4a hair. It comes in a spray bottle, but since I usually have product all over my hands, I just spray in my hands a few times, then smooth my hands over my hair. A little goes a long way -- too much can quickly make finer, less textured hairs greasy.
I've even used this as a cuticle oil and it soaked right in. I think that this product is a good addition to my regimen and I plan to rebuy when this bottle runs out.

EDIT 1/10/13: This bottle sits neglected on my bathroom counter while the Shea Moisture curl & shine spray (pink label) gets all the love and use. I'll figure out how to use this bottle up and I won't repurchase. Not changing the rating; I'm just not into oils, I guess.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2012 1:13:00 PM More reviews by taurusdragonfly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Brown

Calling it a 'reconstructive elixir' is a bit of stretch. It IS a nice medium weight blend of essential oils that do a great job at sealing in moisture and adding shine and pliability that curly/kinky hair needs. It's a bit heavy for fine hair to spray directly - the pump gives a full squirt, not a fine mist. (I spray it in my hands and apply.) The smell is similar to the rest of the moisture retention line (yellow label) nutty and sweet. The scent definitely lingers, but it's not bad. If you like the scent, it's a decent oil blend - not exceptionally distinctive, but good.