Maybelline Baby Lips lip balm in Grape Vine

I own four of the Baby Lips, and I find that this one is the greasiest. Great for me though :) I guess I like greasy lip balm over waxy lip balm. But that means this won't last long. You do need to reapply it often if you want to maintain the colour. And if you aren't careful, this will smear off your lips. I'm not bothered by this though.

I don't recall which ridiculous and oddly specific claims were made regarding this product, but (as to be expected) they are horse poop. In truth though, this does make my lips look better. My lips are pretty sensitive to weather and I'm a habitual lip-chewer, but even after this has worn off, my lips are softer and look better. This seems to have a nice plumping effect to it. It fills out any sunken lines. As a lip balm, I do really like this.

My favourite part about this one is the colour. My skin is very pale, so dark purple lip colour is pretty off-limits. Overly cool-toned lip colours make me look ill. This is a warm-coloured purple shade. It's very sheer. Not natural, it's freaking purple, but it goes on sheer and not garish. Really pretty colour. I'm amazed that it looks okay on me.

I think the packaging is a touch childish and tacky, and I would feel a bit silly pulling this out somewhere public. It's kind of cute though, it is called Baby Lips so I don't think it's pretending to be anything mature :) the twist-up is kind cheap and this is a bit too soft to be a good twist-up, but it makes applying it easy.

I'll be very sad when this is discontinued, and I will continue to repurchase this as long as it is available. Way to go, Maybelline. This stuff is really great.

on 1/7/2015 5:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

I read about these on the "Nouveau Cheap" blog, I think. I was looking for a drugstore tinted lip balm. Picked up this color, since it seemed close to what a MAC salesman once told me (15 years ago) was my natural lip color. Why, yes, I have zero confidence in figuring out what colors look good on me by myself, and always seek advice and affirmation from professionals. Anyway, initial application is fine and dandy: I get a nice hint of color, it smells good, applies smoothly, my lips look pretty and moist: yay. Then, after a few minutes have gone by, comes the sucky part: my lips feel so parched they turn weirdly sticky. It's most unpleasant, and requires immediate reapplication (which continues the cycle). I basically used up the tube just for the sake of finishing it- although my lips on average felt better if I did *not* use this- and will never re-purchase.

I did also pick up the "Fierce and Tangy" Baby Lips, mainly because I thought the fluorescent yellow was such a kick. Same results. The lemon scent is nice, but this formula just does not work for me.

on 1/4/2015 7:51:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium Brown, Not Sure

baby lips are super cute but don't last very long for me (that might be because i'm a very avid lipwear user). it felt nice on my lips, not sticky like some people say, and the color is beautiful :D

on 12/13/2014 7:16:00 PM

I purchased this after watching a YouTube review, as I was intrigued. I typically go for more pink shades, but I thought I would be adventurous, and I'm sure glad I did! I'm a fan of most babylips, but this color is my favorite!! In the tube, the color looks intimidating, but on, it creates the most gorg rapper berry/wine/plum color. It's pigmented, and shows up beautifully. It's not opaque like a lipstick would be, but gives great color. I get a ton of compliments on this when I wear it, and it has quickly become my favorite! Def give it a try, you'll be elated that you did. And at $3-4....it's a steal!

Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

When I first bought this I really thought I'd eventually get bored of it and it would be sitting in my unwanted makeup pile. That is so not the case with this. I use it almost every day since it first came out and have repurchased it many times. It truly keeps my lips hydrated and makes me look more alive especially after my 12 hr shifts. I sometimes wear this under some of my super nude lipsticks and lip liners for a more wearable and flattering look. I've tried other baby lips colors/flavors and haven't had as good of an experience with them in terms of texture and flexible use.

on 4/20/2014 7:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love the idea of a tinted lip balm: a slight sheen of color with all the down-to-earth benefits and ease of use of a lip balm! The bright packaging is cute and fun, and the lip balm itself smells like grape-flavored candy. The color of the lip balm itself looks intimidatingly dark purple but goes on a sheer, soft berry. I like it well enough, especially since it includes SPF. However, I do notice that my lips start feeling dry more quickly than when I use my plain old Chapstick, so I may experiment with other brands of tinted lip balms before I try other colors of this line.

The product: color is amazing, a beautiful light raspberry. The formula is terrific; it has a creamy feel and leaves my lips soft and lush and moisturized. Love it! It smells great too, like a grape tart pie.

on 2/18/2014 7:45:00 PM

I have gone through about 3 tubes of this so far! Its moisturizing, but you do have to reapply throughout the day. It gives the best "your lips but better" type color and it smells and feels amazing! :D

on 2/9/2014 2:39:00 PM

The smell on this is strong, and it can get greasy and slick feeling if you apply too much. However, it moisturizes well and has a pretty tint

on 1/30/2014 11:25:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

This lip balm smells nice and layers over lipstick ok. It is not very moisturizing and the color is almost non-existent. I originally purchased this in the summer time and liked it ok. I repurchased again it because my teenage daughter likes it and I got 50% off the second one. This time it was the winter time. This stuff just sits on top of dry lips and mocks them. It works ok layered over a drier lipstick, but doesn't last at all. If you're buying this balm in the wintertime, don't expect it to moisturize. I will not be repurchasing this.

Popular Lip Treatments