October 24, 2014 | 1715 users online

Concealers - Laura Mercier - Eye Canvas

rated 2 of 5 on 5/18/2013 5:03:00 PM More reviews by nailpolishdebby

I got a full size of the Laura Mercier Eye Canvas in EC-3 as a "gift with purchase". I'm so glad I didn't pay for this because its not a good product for my oily lids.

LM Eye Canvas is what you would call a
"creamy/thick" primer (like MAC Paint Pots or Paints), so it's best applied with a brush, like the MAC 217. You could use your fingers but trying to get this on even and in a thin layer without tugging isn't easy. If you apply too much the creasing is that much worse.

It's consistancy isn't "sheer/thin" like Nars, Urban Decay, Too Faced or even NYX. Which all come in tubes or with applicator wands. The packaging is also like the Paint Pots, which means that you should close the lid tightly and keep it upside down. The one I got was cracked all the way around...

Even though Paint Pots are similar in consistancy, they do better on my lids the Eye Canvas. Even when I use it over Urban Decay or Nars.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2013 2:55:00 PM More reviews by Hermanspottypants

applies smoothly (better than mac paint pots)
has not dried out over the months (unlike mac paint pots)
helps me keep my eye shadow fresh for about 6 hours
good colour match available for me (Im a NC25 girl)

I don't like the fact I have to put my finger into the pot- I'd prefer a more hygienic system so I would try something else when Im done.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/28/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by chanap

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This was applied by a consultant during a makeover, whom I told I have oily skin and need a eye primer. As far as I could tell it did nothing.

I had a sample of Urban Decay and Stila primers to compare it to, so knew that there is a primer that would work for me. After the makeover, I bought the Urban Decay. Guess the LM just doesn't work for us oilies.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/21/2013 9:27:00 AM More reviews by NYCBeauty99

I really like how smooth and even this makes my eye lid. As a primer it works pretty well, but not perfectly. I would say I have some minor creasing after about 8 hours. I've never had the creasing get too bad though.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2012 1:35:00 AM More reviews by MelanieNYC

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

HG PRODUCT!!!! This primer is AMAZING!!! Absolutely no creasing until I wash my makeup off at night. Most importantly, this primer does not cause me any eyelid irritation and does not dry out my lids. It provides an even, well, canvas to put my eye shadow on top off. I can even wear this without eyeshadow for when I want a natural look and smooth eyelids. This truly is an amazing product which I hope never gets discontinued because its so perfect.

I can't believe I almost returned it when I first got it because I thought I didn't like it. The trick is to use an extremely thin layer. At first I put on a thick amount and it got really cakey. Before returning it I tried once more but put on less and it went on so smoothly and loved it from then on. I love this product! If your eyelids are sensitive to other primers, oily but can get dry from primers, or you just want an even wash on your lids, give this product a try.
FYI- The color I use is EC-1

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2012 1:18:00 PM More reviews by mzthisnthat

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Grey, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

After using MAC bare canvas, LM eye basics,and TFSI, which were just meh and did not work for me, I decided to try this LM primer in EC-1. So glad I did! This makes any e/s baby smooth on my over-50 eyelids and makes e/s pop, no creasing, and staying power is great. If I'm in a hurry I just dab this primer on my lids and I instantly look more refreshed. Packaging is okay; I prefer it to a tube, I use a brush to dot on my lids and then smooth it on. I've stopped using any other e/s primers. I also like LM Secret Camoflauge concealer as it does not dry my undereye area and this e/s primer is right up there with that product. Good one LM!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2012 1:58:00 AM More reviews by Quilley

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This review is for Laura Mercier's Canvas. I received the EC-5 shade, which is perfect for my NC40/42 skin. Compared to UD's Primer this does a better job of prepping the eyelid for color without overly drying out the skin. My skin is now officially aging, so I use an eye cream day and night before applying the primer. The LM product is more gentle on the lid and shadows cling very nicely.

The other nice thing about this product is the fact that it blends in so well with my skin tone that I apply it under my eyes as well to help hold liner and/or shadows that I may sweep under my bottom lashes. It really makes a finished eye look more modern looking and holds everything in place all day. I'm very pleased, however I removed 2 points because of the packaging...I just wish it were somehow a bit more sanitary, but I don't know if this is even possible due to the firm cream texture.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 6/3/2012 12:14:00 AM More reviews by Newyorking

I am very disappointed with this product. My lids are very oily so the salesperson recommended this product over eye basics. I have been using it for a while. My eyeshadow doesn't stay on, within the hour it creases like crazy. I have tried several Chanel, MAC, and Lancome eyeshadows, none of them stay. It also collects in creased areas of my eyes, so I see dots of the product rather than a flawless look. I will not buy this product again and don't recommend it for oily lids.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/22/2012 12:05:00 PM More reviews by sweetliz312

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I found this at sephora and I'm glad i decided to purchase!! I use this primarily as an eyeshadow base - and I absolutely love this. I have very oily eyelids and this keeps my shadows crease free for the entire day.
Im not sure how it would work for the undereye area as I do not put concealer under my eyes, but as an eyeshadow base, i think this is great. I would def repurchase this :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/16/2012 11:08:00 AM More reviews by leslieal

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This review is for LM's new eye canvas. This product is meant to smooth the lid and neutralize discoloration. It is $26 for a jar with a screw on lid. I have no major problems with the packaging, although after a while it could get nasty, I suppose. If you use LM's eye concealer, consider this product to be it's mate for the lid. The texture, pigment, and slip are similar, but the eye canvas won't crease, separate, or make lids greasy. I apply after a basic eye cream and have had no problems. The bonus, IMO, is that this concealer can be used all over - the upper lid doesn't look cakey or older than my 35 years (again, hydrate first). I am NC15 and use the lightest color. In comparison to eye basics, I like this canvas much more. Basics can be chalky if you don't work quickly and I couldn't use it on the upper lid. Basics is more fluid and pigmented and therefore more heavy-handed. If you are looking to even out lids (esp if you are not planning on wearing shadow over it), I recommend the canvas to the basics and prefer it over any other cream or powder "my skin but better" shadow. I think she nailed it.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No