NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat Powder Foundation

3.1

Mica, Nylon-12, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Magnesium Stearate, Silica, Cyclopentasiloxane / Dimethiconol, Phenyl Trimethicone, Bis-Diglyceryl Polyacyladipate-2, Zinc Stearate, Boron Nitride, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Tocopheryl Acetate. MAY CONTAIN: Iron Oxide Black (CI 77499), Iron Oxide Yellow (CI 77492), Iron Oxide Red (CI 77491)

on 6/19/2015 1:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

I adore this powder foundation!!! I cannot say enough good about it. I have combination to oily skin with yellow undertones. The finish is super natural, I carry it with me to reapply it when I need it because no product survives all day on my T-zone. I use it with a primer or milk of magnesia as a primer to control better my oily T-zone, especially in summer time.
The medium beige shade (SMP06) is a perfect match for my NC25-NC30 skin. I love the fact that the web site tells you for each shade which undertones it has, that made it so much easier to find my perfect match, I wish all cosmetics companies would do this! and that should be written on the packaging too. The price point is great, very affordable. I just love it, sadly it's difficult to get in Canada since Target went away :'-( I have one backup left.

on 6/19/2015 12:40:00 AM

This is one of the better powders that Ive tried. It really is what it says-matte not flat. Having combo skin its hard to find a powder that works for me...controlling shine on the forehead and oil on the chin, whilst not drying the hell out of my dry cheeks and undereyes. This does that. one of the only powders that doesn't dry me out AT ALL and I didn't think that was possible. Also, it blends easily and doesn't look powdery. Very natural like real skin, lets natural glow peek through. Coverage is not great however, but decent. Holds up well throughout the day, but it does disappear eventually. One thing I do appreciate is that when it does fade it literally disappears, evenly, rather than start to appear patchy, clinging on to dry areas or separating in oily area like some other powders. Good powder overall but not enough to keep me from trying every other powder ever made. And for the low price its pretty great!

on 5/24/2015 2:13:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought this powder on a whim. The lighest colour was a good match for my skin tone and it was cheaper than the powder I normally use. In addition, it has very light coverage, which I prefer. I also liked the idea of a matte powder that wouldn't look flat. Well, I would have been better off spending a bit more and buying my normal, excellent powder. My oily t-zone stayed matte for about 20 minutes, which is not acceptable. This powder foundation is a total waste of money.

on 5/15/2015 4:30:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I totally agree with "ferrery" (the review below), I'm not sure why there is so much negativity towards this product. For the longest time I was debating buying this product because of the mixed reviews; For every positive review I would read one that is negative. But, I finally bit the bullet and bought in.

Pros:
1)Colour- Finally....my quest to find a product that is yellow enough for my skin has come true. I bought this powder in the colour Warm Beige (07) and I can't be happier with my C2-C3 colour match!! There are numerous websites devoted to showing what each powder foundation colour looks like, in fact, the NYX website is relatively accurate. I will say that the powder sits on the skin sliggghty lighter than what is shown in the pan, but I'll be honest with all of you, only an overly-observer like me would ever notice. The entire line has 20 colours which is fabulous; I love a foundation that can cater to many skin tones. Also, the undertones to each colour are on point- there are some powders that are more yellow, more pink, or just neutral. Who ever coloured these powders did an amazing job of actually making them look skin-like. (Ps: only 10 out of the 20 colours were available at my drugstore)

2)Longevity- I'm an oily gal..like..really oily. This powder lasted about 5 hours on me before it started to get oily; normally (with liquid foundation) I only get about 2 hours.

3)Packaging- Does this remind anyone else of the mac powder foundation? Yes, it might not be AS classy looking, but it's really good for drugstore standards. My only beef is that it might be a little too bulky for some purses. You have a healthy-sized mirror, your product, and a compartment below that harbours your sponge and aerates it at the same time. The plastic it sturdy and I'm never worried that the powder will open while it is in my purse.

4)Applicator/Coverage- For the first time ever a company has given me an applicator( that comes with a product) that actually works!! What a refreshing change! Upon first contact with the sponge,I was really surprised at the quality of it. The sponge is denser and more rubbery-er feeling than your standard sponge. This isn't something like a beauty blender; it's much more dense and compact. Clearly, someone has put a lot of thought and effort into creating something that works for the product. I tried using the powder with a standard kabuki brush, but it didn't give me the coverage I wanted. So I used the sponge and it gave me a gorgeous medium coverage. I'll admit, I was hoping for even more coverage, but what I got was reduced redness, blemishes and dark spots. I'll take that over nothing at all. Besides, I dont always like to look heavy and made-up; sometimes it's just nice to have a light-medium (more medium) coverage product that actually lets the skin breathe.

5)Formula- the powder is creamy. So finely milled. Just exquisite. The powder isn't one-dimensional; you'll notice that it's not a flat matte veil of powder pigment, no...it has a little bit of a sheen to it. Before everyone panics, it's not bad. What it does is it catches the light naturally as your skin would. In fact, if you go out in the sun and notice the inside of your elbow (where blood is taken from) you'll notice a hint of shimmer-sheerness in the skin (or at least my skin does this). This product truly doesn't make you look flat. Again, a lot of thought has been put into this product in making it look as natural as possible. Even better, the product contains no talc :)

Con:
1) Dryness- unfortunately this product accentuates my dry spots, but I'm not going to complain about this because (lets be real) what dry-skinned individual would ever say "hey, maybe I'll try a powder foundation today". The dryness of my skin is my issue because normally I'm very oily. I just wanted to say this to those who are more on the combo side.

Overall: If you have MAC's powder foundation, give this a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the quality that drugstore powders have to offer. If you're dry, please don't try this. Other than that, I highly recommend this to everyone even if you are not going to use it as a foundation- the coverage of this can be sheer and yet still provide you with a flawless finish if you are using this as a finishing powder. For $10 CAD you can't go wrong.

PS: I will be trying this with a wet sponge and will provide an updated review soon!:)

on 5/12/2015 11:16:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

don't know why the reviews for this product aren't as great as i find them to be. i have nothing but good things to say about this product. i wear this in warm beige and use it with a regular large powder brush. this is a fantastic, light coverage powder foundation that is ideal for oily skin. nothing that a little blot powder can't fix every 4 hours or so. if you want a natural finish, slightly dewy but never oily - this is worth a try! didn't think i was going to love it, but it's my go-to, quick application yet flawless foundation. almost everytime i wear it, i've received compliments on how flawless my face looks. when i tell them it's by nyx, they're surprised and releaved it's nothing high end and easy to find. in canada, it can be found at rexall. try it out!

on 5/5/2015 12:06:00 PM

I bought this on the recommendation of a cosmetician at the drug store. Between the location I bought it, and the price, I wasn't expecting much....but I was pleasantly surprised. This may be the BEST colour I have every worn. Product going on well (I use a kabuki brush, not the pad it comes with), and ALWAYS use primer underneath. I think this is a great product!

on 3/10/2015 6:50:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

I've been using MAC studio fix powder for awhile now and I'm in love with the studio fix. I've recently moved out and I've been trying to scrape up extra money every time I need powder (which I go through pretty fast because I wear makeup nearly everyday.) so I decided to try this out because the price is only 9.99 and it claims to be full coverage and sweat resistant. So today is the first day I've worn it. It held up pretty well through out the day. The full coverage part was a lot truer this morning when I had a fresh face. I work at a tanning salon so I put it to the test with its claim to be sweat resistant and tanned. When I got out majority of it was still on except on my forehead where I sweat and around my nose and jawline where I rest my hand or get oily. MAC studio fix definitely holds up better after an 8 hour shift and a tan but I was pretty impressed with this product since it's only 9.99 as studio fix is 30.00 something after taxes at my local promenade mall (since they have their own tax 😒)

on 1/11/2015 12:47:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

i LOVE it as a setting powder. makes my face look flawless. then spray the urban decay all nighter then im good all day

on 12/22/2014 2:20:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I picked this up at Ulta last week when I was looking for something to replace my expensive Aveda powder foundation. The associate said this line was vegan and mostly natural, so I decided to try it. I've never actually liked a product I've tried from NYX, but was hoping this would be an exception. The testers were all shattered and I couldn't try them, so I just picked up the lightest shade they had and hoped for the best. Unfortunately, the lightest they had, Nude, was a bit too dark for me. I found out that they have a lighter shade called Ivory that would have been much better, if the store had stocked it. Anyway, the powder applied very evenly, but was a tad too dark for me. It offers very little coverage, even if you pack it on. The good news is, it doesn't look cakey, even if you put on a ton. By the end of the day, most of it had worn off, but it did keep my skin matte for most of the day. Overall, it reminds me more of a pressed powder than a powder foundation. I may purchase it again if my Ulta ever gets the Ivory shade in. In the meantime, this one is going back.

on 12/21/2014 3:47:00 PM

This is a repurchase for me and it has also replaced my MAC MSF Natural. I use it to set liquid foundation. I use two shades, Nude and Warm Beige. I used to use MSF in Light Plus and Med Dark, for both powders it's almost $60.. it's $10 for a Stay Matte Not Flat and they're always going on sale. It not an exact dupe because it could look cakey if packed on. MSF almost never looks cakey. The compact is a bit bulky but it's kinda the norm for compacts with a separate compartment for the sponge.