MAC Creme Liner

4.1

on 3/7/2015 2:38:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This liner is definitely one of those unsung heroes of the MAC line that gets lost in the shuffle. When I first started buying MAC on the regular last year (I always loathed the line basically because of the constant hype and unfortunate products I initially tried), I saw this liner on their site and became intrigued by it. I didn't realize it as a pro product (or even knew what a pro product is) so I went to Macy's and asked for it. The SA had no idea what I was even talking about which kind furthers that this product is sort of overlooked. I suppose it's because most folks concentrate on MAC's 97 different monthly collections of "new" and "limited edition" products that sell out within the hours of their release. Those are almost always exciting and fun, but there's nothing like finding a good, reliable product.
I bought this over six months ago and even though it's right in front of my face, it gets lost in my eyeliner rotation shuffle. I used it again today and asked myself, "Why aren't you using this EVERY day?"

First, I'm pretty crap when it comes to apply liner on my upper lid. I'm slowly getting better, mainly because the effect looks so much better that I force myself to practice, but I'm not one of those gals that can do a fierce cat eye or some other amazing look. I basically just line my upper lids with a very thin line as close as possible to the lash line. I've experimented with other formulas (cake, gel) and it seems like because of the technique I use, most colored liners don't translate as well. I've steered away from black because I have boring brown eyes (not all brown eyes are boring, just mine) and I thought black seemed so dull. Not this liner.

First, the formula itself is amazing. This isn't a traditional gel that will dry out or a cake liner that you have to go over repeatedly to achieve noticeable results. It's a dryish creme that can be applied as is or "activated" with water. I use a drop or two of e.l.f.'s Seal and Lock (which seems to work better than water and is dirt cheap) and MAC's #208 angled liner brush. One swipe of this liner creates a true, dark black. I also love that this has a divot in the middle where you can place whatever activator you're using. The liner basically soaks the liquid back up and stays moist. As another review said, you'll have to fiddle around with the dilution to figure out what you like but this is basically fool proof. I don't think I've ever tried to use it "dry" but that is another option according to MAC's site.

As this is a pro product, it's not available at MAC counters. I bought mine from the MAC site, but it's also available at the pro stores (which I find intimidating and rather irritating but I digress). Compared to most of MAC's liner, this is pretty cheap ($16). Since it's so concentrated, very little is needed and I can easily see this liner lasting more than six months and even years.

My only beef with this liner is that it only comes in black. I don't know if that's because it's a pro product and those products aren't what MAC focuses on, but I'd love to see this in different colors. If this were in a deep green or eggplant I'd be in heaven but alas, black will have to do for now. If you're looking for a moderately priced liner that's a step above the norm, I highly recommend MAC's Creme Liner.

I wear black eyeliner every day. I have tried all of them, felt tip (dries out and not black enough after a couple weeks), brush tip (brush is never good, formula is usually too wet), long lasting gel (dry out in the pots WAY before they are used up, gunk up brushes, hard to get off), pencil (not precise, drags or smears). MAC creme liner was one of the first products I ever bought from MAC, and it is the absolute BEST black liner I've used.

1. The pot lasts FOREVER. Because it is reconstituted with water, it never dries out and becomes unusable like gel. One of mine even had a missing lid, and it was still perfect.

2. It is super black. Getting the right consistency is a little tricky at first, and everyone has a differnet preference. I don't like to use it dry. I usually put a small drop of water in the pot, and sort of roll it around until the surface is just damp. Then use the brush to get a good sort of thick but smooth consistency.

3. It wears all night, and is still easy to take off. This is not water resistent like some of the gel liners, but because it is water soluble, it comes right off with regular face wash. If you have a problem with watering eyes, though, It might not be for you.

on 11/4/2011 9:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Warm

I love this product, I use it with the EcoTools Angled liner brush and it gives me perfect eyeliner every time.
In the past I've been known to take a lot longer to do my makeup because I spent most of that time fixing and redoing my liquid liner trying because of the drying time. The creme liner has made it all so much easier though, it's reduced my time by about 20 minutes.
It lasts all night and goes on quite easily, my only issue is that after i've been using it for a while the contents of the liner gets a bit clumpy, but it's easy enough to smooth by wiping the brush against the side of the pot before applying.
I've had it for a year now and it's not even halfway down finished, will definitely buy again as soon as it's finished.

on 1/11/2010 1:43:00 AM

Good long lasting eyeliner overall, but I prefer the Loreal HIP eyeliner as it lasts longer! This packaging is great and portable but still a little pricey.

on 4/19/2008 7:41:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Very dry and goes bad quickly (shrinks and pulls away from the pan sides). My recommendation, go with Smashbox cream liners.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I agree with Archangeli! The Bobby Brown creme eyeliner is fantastic. And the same thing happened to me. . I was at a party feeling pretty good using my new Mac eyeliner and , when I went to the ladies room and looked in the mirror...WHOA girl...who is that RACCOON? Because its so greasy, it was easy to wipe off. But then all my concealer came off with it...this made me mad at Mac!!!!

on 10/3/2007 2:22:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

lasts all day which i love, but you must have a steady hand to apply. and it will deffinitly take awhile to use all of the product.

on 1/3/2006 5:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This is by far one of my most loved eyeliners. I only have this in the color black but will definitely seek out some others (hopefully, they're still available!)
I use this only with my MAC #210 eyeliner brush and mix with a few drops of water. I get perfect results everytime. The brush gives me the precision to create the thinnest line. And the texture is just perfect. The color is a beautiful and intense true black. Another plus is that this lasts forever on me. I don't think I have to purchase anytime soon because the little pot will last me ages. But when I do run out I will definitely be running out for another! LOVE!

on 1/3/2006 4:34:00 PM

I use a damp MAC angled liner brush to apply this and it's PERFECT. I'm pretty clumsy with eyeliner but this gives me precision control. It also blends well for a smoky look. This has lasted me for 3 years, but I'll replace it when it's gone for sure.

on 4/29/2005 10:18:00 AM

This is the best liner. I use it wet, with #210 brush. i can be applied in a very dark solid thin line. a much better option to liquid liner, same effect without the mess