October 25, 2014 | 1729 users online

Styling Products - Not Your Mother's - Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2014 3:07:00 AM More reviews by BrownEyes01

I bought this obviously to use as a spray to create waves in my hair to get that sexy beachy look. Not thrilled with the way it works for that but what I do love is that it gives my hair texture. I use it before I curl my hair and that makes my curls last. Typically, when I curl my thick, coarse hair, the side I curled is already flat before I finish curling the other side. With this, my curls will last before I wash my hair again. For that purpose alone, I would repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2014 10:10:00 PM More reviews by rayeraye20

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Idk what everyone's bad reviews are about I love it made my hair nice a wavy!

rated 3 of 5 on 9/25/2014 1:22:00 PM More reviews by jessamay

Hmmmmm - I think my expectations of this product (and anything that can possibly make a wave) were too high. It is partly my hair and my lack of skill (braiding, twisting, bun - nothing worked) in trying to get my stick straight hair to wave so maybe if you have the right hair this would help? What this does do is give my fine, thin hair grip (texture) and volume. It does have a bit of a dulling effect and I always use this with a leave in conditioner to combat dryness. So I will not buy this again as I was looking for something to get a wave going and I have other products that provide volume and texture without the coconut smell (though that does seem to go away quickly). I am guessing for my type of hair I need a heating style tool to get some wave so this just can't do the job by itself.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/31/2014 2:51:00 AM More reviews by sonyale17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have naturally slightly straight/wavy hair, I bought this today and thought it would be good to enhance my natural waves. It absolutely sucks. I've tried it with my hair dry and my hair damp and it doesn't nothing. Thank god I bought the travel size. It leaves your hair sticky and very messy almost as if you teases your hair. Your hair does not look smooth at all, it looks as if there was paint dumped in your hair or you've been spraying hairspray in your hair every hour, it makes your hair look crispy and when you touch your hair it feels disgusting, this was by far the worst hair product I've spent my money on and I normally love the not your mothers brand. This was horrible, absolutely sticky, did nothing to my hair, and left it dry and crisp. The only thing good about this product is that it smells somewhat decent, but after like 5 minutes the smell makes you sick. It's a very strong sweet coconut smell

rated 2 of 5 on 8/5/2014 8:30:00 PM More reviews by Shortstuffxo

I really wanted to try this, so I bought it at 5 Below for a cheap price. I tried it on my hair (dry & wet) and it did not do ANYTHING except make my hair all sticky. My hair is naturally straight so I think that had to do with it not working.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/21/2014 10:06:00 PM More reviews by shelbymarissa

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I bought this thinking it would be great for days when I don't feel like doing my hair. My hair has some natural wave and I wanted something that would enhance them. I've tried spraying this in with both damp and dry hair and I get the same results every time. Dry, sticky, and frizzy hair that looks like I rolled out of bed and didn't brush my hair. Although this smells amazing, I'd never repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2014 4:10:00 PM More reviews by OMGURTEEF

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff so much that I bought a second travel-sized bottle just to keep in my purse.
Years ago, John Frieda had this amazing sea salt spray called Beach Blonde. And I loved it. And then the worst happened. They discontinued it. I searched and searched to no avail. It was gone.
A few companies came out with sprays over the years, but none of them held a candle to Beach Blonde. Until Not Your Mother's came along and absolutely blew the competition (and in some ways, my beloved Beach Blonde) out of the salt water!
First off, this stuff smells A-MAZE-ING. It's like a beach in a bottle. I know that's sort of the idea and all, but it's really incredible.
Second, the performance of this product is stellar. It is by far the best texturizing spray I've ever used. When I had long hair, it was sad, limp, and fine and nothing would give it volume. Except this stuff. My hair was wavy, bouncy, and perfectly mattified (I prefer a matte look to a lot of shine).
Now that my hair is short, I use this to create the perfect chunky pixie look. It's perfect in that capacity, as my hair is still very thin and gets weighed down by most styling products.
When I use this, my hair feels thick and stays in place rather than flopping about like some kind of Robert-Redford-circa-All-The-President's-Men-era business. No 70's flop here.
The packaging of the full-sized bottle is great, and you get quite a lot. The mist is fine and deposits the product easily, rather than delivering it in a blasting stream. Two presses of the nozzle and my whole head is coated. Then I just run my fingers through my hair and start shaping.
The travel-sized bottle is a typical spray pump, but like its larger counterpart, it delivers a perfect, fine mist.
The larger bottle was cheap. I think it was $5USD and change. Which is amazing.
I'll repurchase over and over. If they discontinue this gem, I'll be heartbroken.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/3/2014 3:20:00 PM More reviews by babydollnot4u

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this when my naturally curly hair was much longer. I would shampoo and conditioner as usual, get out and towel dry my hair, then spray this product along with a Garnier wave spray in my hair. I would also use a creamy leave in condition and let my hair air dry. The result was pretty amazing...I had perfect loose beachy waves and only had to touch up a few random pieces that had gone haywire. After a surprise stacked bob job that a hairstylist gave me, I can no longer let my hair go curly, so I haven't used this product lately. I cannot wait until my hair gets longer and I can go back to my beachy waves!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2014 2:34:00 PM More reviews by Lauraasti

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I've tried a pretty good number of sea salt sprays and curling creams/serums/gels/mousse, but this is by far my favorite. I bought the travel size at ulta to give it a try first, but I was sold at first use and went back for the full-size.
My hair is medium/fine and color-treated, naturally a curly/wavy/frizzy mess, especially in the hot summer; some perfect beach waves mixed with out of control curls that sometimes go in all directions, and this stuff puts everything right in order. For the job that it does, I'd expect the price to be much higher-I love that it's so affordable.
I've only ever used it when my hair is dry, so I can't speak for scrunching it in wet or damp hair. If I know it's going to be humid, I usually put a few spritzes of a leave-in conditioner on my hands and smooth it over my hair when it's wet for extra protection, but this does seem to stand up to humidity nicely on it's own.
When I use this spray, I prefer to spray it onto my hands and scrunch it into my hair, rather than spraying it directly on my hair- the curls just seem to be easier to shape and control that way. I find when I spray it directly, my hair gets too wet and the curls look limp and crunchy. The smell is very light, almost nondescript beachy smell that is hardly noticeable after it dries. I really like that because that means I can use it throughout the year without smelling like I just came back from the coconut cabana, like some beach sprays. It's buildable for me, the more I scrunch in, the curlier my hair gets, and it lasts all day/night, though I do spritz on some light hairspray anyway. The curls and waves it produces in my hair are so pretty, and i can work it into casual and professional looking hairstyles and when I put it near my roots, I get a slight boost in volume, too. I have no problems with my hair being crunchy or sticky at all.
The only downside I can think of is that it might dry hair out. I usually get greasy within 24 hours of washing, but when I use this stuff (combined with some teasing, hairspray, or whatever else I incorporate into the hairstyle) I can go over 48 hours without my hair being greasy or flat at all, so if you're on the drier side, I'd keep a good conditioner around or use this stuff sparingly. Overall, I really like this stuff and will definitely be using it a lot in the future!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/26/2014 9:24:00 PM More reviews by liszteria

I'm a big fan of that second-day, almost bedhead look. I have super straight short hair. This is not conducive to a textured, messy look. I bought this on a whim to add some texture and grip to my hair right after it's washed.

Yes, it smells a little strongly of coconut and can give your hair an almost tangly sticky feeling if you use too much, but all in all, this gives really nice texture to my hair. I spray it all over dry hair and then comb through with my fingers. It allows whatever pomade I'm using to grab hold of the hair strands and create a really undone look (in the best way possible).