October 23, 2014 | 1567 users online

Crème - Ben Nye - Matte HD Foundation

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 1:28:00 PM More reviews by Lomelindi

This is a great product, although I feel like I just don't have the correct skin texture / type for it. First, the packaging is plain but functional, with a screw on-and-off cap with a clear plastic window on top. (To be fair, Ben Nye's not exactly known for their flashy packaging.) The price is great for those on a budget, around $12 for a full-sized foundation.

I would describe this as a "light" creme foundation - it applies easily, doesn't take much blending and has a soft, matte finish. The coverage is medium but can be built up to high. It photographs well, which is a plus! I experimented with a few ways to apply this foundation and my favorite method is, surprisingly, my fingers or a flat-topped brush (buffing it in in circles). I tried a sponge and a foundation (flat) brush, but both left ugly streaks across my face.

This product is definitely matte-finish and is not meant for those with dry skin! It can also emphasize any flakes you have regardless of your skin type. I'm oily-skinned naturally but have been on retinoids for a few months for acne, so I dislike that this foundation seems to show all the slightly dry areas of my face. It also wasn't very flattering for my large pores, but I feel like I can minimize that with the help of a silicone primer. Still, you definitely need to hydrate well underneath this foundation!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2013 10:09:00 AM More reviews by reymarie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have bought plenty samples of Ben Nye HD Matte Foundation at camerareadycosmetics.com and a good percentage of them the sample containers came broken or cracked; even though the foundation can be sampled and then thrown away unless one has another container to put the rest of the sample.
The foundation itself is excellent.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/31/2013 5:30:00 AM More reviews by tawniethetiger

WORST FOUNDATION EVER!! I consider myself pretty oily, but not VERY oily, but you would think I was the oiliest person ever if you saw me today. I thought I knew what foundation melting was, apparently not before today...it was so disgusting. My nose looked like I had put Vaseline on it, the foundation on my chin was gone except for where it clung to my blemishes only making them 10 times more obvious. And this is supposed to keep people matte?! I've had matter days wearing Nars sheer glow!! It's gross. It's horrible!! If you're even a tiny bit oily, don't even try it!! It sucks cause I love Ben Nye products, but NOT this one. If this review is not convincing enough and you STILL want to try it for yourself, my skin is between NC25 and NC30 and I got it in Shinsei Medium and the match was pretty spot on...TOO BAD IT SUCKED!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 2/23/2013 3:14:00 PM More reviews by darkninja141

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this yesterday in "NO-1 Pale Biscotte" and I do have to say I do like the match (it is typically hard for me to find a match.) I think this stuff is great. The product is a little hard - which I like - so it is easy not to get too much on at a time. I find that the only way I can apply this highly pigmented product is with a wet sponge otherwise I look like a clown. :(
Great job, Ben Nye!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2012 10:36:00 PM More reviews by busybee406

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

prI am in my forties and up until about 3 years ago I had flawless skin the out of the blue I started getting really really bad acne that always leaves scarring. I tried all kinds of foundations and all but two did not cover. I read a lot on theater make up the reviews on Ben Nye . I bought this 6 months ago and Oh My Gosh this covers so well. I tend to use it as a concealer and then use my Tarte Clay or my Estee Double Wear. I have used it strickly as a foundation as well but I'm still working on the correct shade. My skin is very oily and am currently on Retin A so I have a lot of flaking and burning but when I apply this it does not burn. I will continue to purchase this.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/13/2012 5:19:00 AM More reviews by VerySplendid

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Olive, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

** Not Tested On Animals **

Skin type: normal to dry but acne prone.

Desperately seeking a new HG foundation since I found out MAC test on animals after being bought out by Estee Lauder. MAC is now sold in China, and Chinese law requires that ALL cosmetics owned by foreign (non-Chinese) companies be tested on animals.

My skin tone has a warm-neutral-light olive tone. For reference, I am MAC NC25 - see my notepad for my colour matches to other brands.

Cine-Beige CE-5 = very good match (almost identical to Graftobian High Definition Creme in Vixen 30313). I also bought a sample of Warm Sand BE-5 which was close but not quite right.. a tad too orangey.

PREPARATION: As my skin is quite dry, I started with a facial oil (my own blend), mixed with fragrance-free moisturiser (Nature's Organics) and Face of Australia primer.

CONSISTENCY: creamy - not too oily & not too dry.

QUALITY: Durability is ok, but the real test will be during summer. The coverage is medium - heavy... I don't know if I did something wrong before, during or after application but it didn't seem to 'melt' into my skin the way Mehron Celebre HD Pro did. I'll try again & hope to increase my score. Finished with Ben Nye Banana Powder, as always.

RE-PURCHASE? Maybe. Depending on how the next application goes.

(samples purchased from Camera Ready Cosmetics for $4 - great! Full sized product is 0.5oz/14gm for around $11.)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2012 6:38:00 PM More reviews by EncantadaX2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I can't say enough good things about this. It is a great foundation and my all time HG. It is very buildable, but gives you a great coverage from the beginning, once you match your skin color to this, which by the way has a huge arrange of shades, you will never go back to department-HE makeup foundations. The only thing may be that it is not very easy to get access to it, but sometimes I think the more expensive brands do not want this kind of proffessional makeup to be wide available because they will go bankrupt :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2012 12:51:00 AM More reviews by redmakeup

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I love Ben Nye and the last time they updated their product line was in 2007 so I'm so excited that they are stepping up their game. I had written a review on the prior Matte Foundation I purchased from Ben Nye and it was ok, so I purchased a different shade and found new packaging and a much different product then what I had previously tried.

I love the new formulated product. I will upload pictures of the packaging. It goes on smooth and you can't even feel it on. The tone range is amazing and I found my exact tone. It goes on light but you can build it up for a much more opaque coverage. It doesn't contain a lot of oils and waxes. It's just amazing. If you tried the old Matte Foundations... you will be pleasantly surprised with the new Matte HD Foundation from the MediaPro line.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No