Koh Gen Do Moisture Spa Gel

4.7

Water, Glycerin, Pentylene Glycol, Glyceryl Glucoside, Glycosyl Trehalose, Squalane,Phytosteryl/Isostearyl/Cetyl/Stearyl/Behenyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Carbomer, Butylene Glycol, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Onsen-sui (JTN, Hot Springs Water), Arginine, Phenoxyethanol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Betula Platyphylla Japonica Juice, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Sterols, Tocopherol, Perilla Ocymoides Leaf Extract, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Perilla Ocymoides Seed Oil, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Melissa Officinalis Leaf Extract, Olea Europa (Olive) Fruit Oil, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Artemisia Princeps Leaf Extract, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract, Aspalathus Linearis Extract, Thymus Serpillum Extract

on 5/30/2015 4:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

I got a sample of this for free from Koh Gen Do when I asked for some foundation samples. Unfortunately, on my dehydrated-normal skin, this was a disappointment. I applied it directly to my skin after washing my face and while it felt moisturizing enough then, the next morning my face was flakier and drier than normal. I was really hoping for a single-step moisturizer with something so expensive, but for me I would need at least a second layer of an occlusive for this to work.

Overall, this may be a good option for someone else, but on my very dehydrated skin it doesn't work nearly well enough to justify the price.

on 5/1/2015 4:11:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I originally got a teensy jar (.35 oz) of this as a free welcome gift with purchase from Koh Gen Do, and I was so pleased with it that I also purchased the larger, full-size (3.53 oz) enormous jar with promotional set.

I know this is expensive up front, but a little really goes a long way; at the rate I'm using it it will last me at least two years, so I find the price to be very reasonable when I take into account how well this works for me and how long I project it to last. After 1.5 months of daily use, I'm only halfway through the teensy jar; I just give my finger a little dip in the jar and it covers my entire face and neck. I haven't needed to start on the full-size jar yet but I did see that it comes with a spatula inside the container (pro: hygienic), so I plan on using it to spoon out the moisturizer from the big jar to the little one for everyday use (pro: great for travel). As an aside, I don't think this has any SPF in it (which doesn't bother me), but I thought I'd mention it so anyone who is concerned about sun protection knows put some over it.
It wears perfectly under my makeup, and is a great emollient daytime moisturizer that softens and protects without making me oily throughout the day. The texture is very light, and it feels like something between a gel and a regular moisturizer. I do not find this to be sticky or tacky unless I use too much, and any tackiness does fade if you just give it a few minutes. I have had no bad breakouts since I've started using this (though I also started using other KGD products at the same time), which is incredible because prior to this I had been struggling with pretty much weekly breakouts for several years.
This is marketed as an "All in One" moisturizer, and I definitely agree that it works best when applied directly on my skin (so save your toning lotions and serums for nighttime use), with the exception that it mixes AMAZINGLY with a few drops of the Koh Gen Do Lotion II (which is basically a super-moisturizing toning treatment "lotion")--I recommend that anyone who needs a little extra moisturizing try combining them.

KGD products have completely positively transformed my skin over the last six+ weeks. I'm so obsessed and am motivated to review them because there isn't a lot of information or reviews out there for this amazing brand. They are definitely an investment, but the payoff for every product has been totally worth it.

on 8/20/2014 9:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Because I use Retin-A Micro, I needed a non-reactive, highly emollient moisturizer to use at night over the Retin-A. It couldn't contain any additional retinol, fruit acids, or any other commonly-found, reactive ingredient. Koh Gen Do Moisture Spa Gel fits the bill, containing only highly moisturizing agents like squalene and sodium hyaluronate. A little goes a very long way: I use the enclosed spatula to dispense only a pea-sized amount to my face. Some reviewers here and elsewhere have said that they find this product a little sticky and this is true should you use too much product. I've only been using it for a few weeks now so I am not yet certain whether or not I will repurchase, but it's promising.

UPDATE: At the end of the day, this product simply wasn't emollient enough and I won't be repurchasing.

on 4/28/2014 3:52:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

I am in my 30's now so I have my fair share of favorite moisturizers, but after trying this for 5/6months, I think this is my favorite :
pros :
- lovely gel like texture, once spread onto the skin, melted into water like substance into the skin, not sticky, not heavy, not tacky...as if I'm wearing nothing, actually, love it especially since I live in a hot and humid country, sticky moisturizer is just...ehh..
- does not break me out, major sensitive skin here
- it actually hydrates better than other 'heavier' moisturizer I've know, I dont know how they do it, but I know when my skin needs extra moisturising, this is the one
-not economical, but though the initial cost is high, a little bit goes a long way

Cons :
-not available in my country

on 3/31/2014 9:06:00 PM

This is a great moisturizer for skin that is not very dry. Product uses ingredients that are good for sensitive skin.

on 9/20/2012 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Koh Gen Do All in One Moisture Gel is the perfect moisturizer for my skin. At first, I gawked at the price $62 for a moisturizer but realized it's actually quite affordable. It comes in a tub of 3.53oz for $62 whereas most moisturizers come in sizes between 1.4-1.7oz. Also, I only need a very small scoop to moisturize my whole face.

A little background info... I have clog-prone, acne-prone combination skin with hyperpigmentation. After using BP in AM and retin-a in PM for the past three months, my skin has cleared. I don't have any more blemishes but do have a lot of hyperpigmentation along my jawline. I've learned that moisturizing is so essential for my dehydrated combo oily skin and this moisturizer is moisturizing without being heavy.

The All in One Moisture Gel is formulated without parabens, sulfates, synthetic fragrances, synthetic dyes, petrochemicals, phthalates, GMOs, and triclosan. There really isn't any harmful chemicals in this moisturizer. The texture is light and makes a great prep for my skin before makeup. It absorbs quickly without feeling greasy.

My only complaint is that it comes in a tub. The packaging is not that hygienic. I wish it came in a bottle with a pump or a tube.

on 5/25/2012 5:11:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

Love love love this magical cream. I purchased this on a whim for my dry, peeling, red, inflamed rosacea face after reading a review here that said it helped with flaky skin. This stuff is amazing. It has never caused even the slightest irritation and I have very reactive skin. No breakouts at all. Helps with flakes but is very light so I put a heavier moisture cream on over this in the flakiest areas of my face (center of my forehead and center of face). This is a light, gel-like cream so it will be perfect in the summer when my skin is less dry but still needs moisture. Doesn't cause my foundation to slide off. The only negatives for me are the high price ($68 usd) and the jar packaging, which I find a bit unsanitary. Overall it's lovely - highly recommend this for people with sensitive skin/rosacea who need some light moisture. EDIT: After another few weeks of using this, I love it even more. I think it's really helping my skin -- it looks so much better. I still have some flakes, but my skin is much more even-toned and I've had no breakouts at all, which is unusual for me. Highly highly recommend - it's worth every penny!

on 5/12/2012 12:57:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

When I bought my Kohgendo foundations in Japan, the SA gave me samples of the cleansing water and the moisture spa gel to try, explaining that it is great for dehydrated skin (like mine). I packed it in my hand luggage and forgot about it. On the night I was at the airport lounge, about to take a shower before my flight, I realised that I hadn't brought any moisturizer with me (everything else was packed and checked in). I only had the samples from KGD. I thought, some moisture is better than none so I emptied the contents of the sachet and pat it on my face.

Usually, I get really dehydrated on the plane and 3 hours into a flight, the skin under my eyes will start to get dry and crepey. Even after I have slathered on a lot of moisturizer before boarding and repeated eye cream applications throughout. To my surprise (shock was more like it), when I went to the bathroom after 4 hours into the flight, I saw no dryness at all!! I couldn't believe it!! How can something so light and watery hydrate so well?? When I got back, I ordered TWO JARS from the website (they had an offer of a free small jar of the moisture gel if you spend over $100). The jar is 100g for $62 and that is a fair price considering the fact that most moisturizers are about 40g in weight. It's amazing how effective it is and it feels so good on. My skin just drinks it up!

BTW, I usually add my philosophy Turbo Booster C powder to this rather than serums because my skin doesn't sting unlike when I add it to other serums/mositurizers. Major plus - KGD does not test on animals at all and they are proud of that fact! :)

on 1/31/2012 12:47:00 PM

I was just introduced to this line in my search for a new foundation. After matching my color and giving me a sample, the sales girl said my skin seemed a bit dry, and gave me a sample of this moisturizer. Well, I am astounded at what this did for my skin. I've been dealing with dry, flaky skin on my chin, and no matter what moisturizer I used (hubby calls me the 'queen of lotions'), nothing was working. It was quite irritating, as I would notice it when I was at work and have to try to repair it without it being obvious. Within 2 days of using this, the dry area on my chin, not to mention the rest of my face, was moisturized just beautifully. I've been using this every night, and while it's pricey, I think it is worth it. It is a nicely textured, lightweight gel, with only the very slightest of scents.