April 17, 2014 | 1433 users online

Makeup Brushes - Essence - Smokey Eyes Brush

• Price: $

rated 2 of 5 on 3/17/2014 9:45:00 AM More reviews by brelig

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was really disappointed in this brush. The bristles are very rough and not great for sensitive eyes. The brush not only shed, but the purple color bled off the bristles each time I washed it. Even a colored bristle shouldn't bleed, that's a huge no-no in my book. It did apply shadow well and worked well as a small defining crease brush, but I wouldn't dare use this to really blend out shadow. It was just too rough. A brush I would recommend at a similar price point is the Catrice version of this brush. No shedding, not rough.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 9:51:00 PM More reviews by nesslawn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this brush online from Ulta about two years ago and paid $1.49. I would pay ten bucks for it even if that were the case because that brush is perfect. It is incredibly soft, no scratchiness at all. I don't understand why people think they are painful bristles. Also, it has never shed, not one single bristle in the whole two years ive used it. Nor has it bled. This brush is the perfect size for crease color and outer v, and offers perfect control of where the color is placed. It also blends really well. It is in as perfect condition as when I bought it and a complete steal for two bucks.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/12/2013 10:07:00 AM More reviews by Iamzettesui

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Even though the bristles are not that soft and it's scratchy I'm still using it due to it's perfect on my small Asian eyelids.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/7/2013 1:05:00 AM More reviews by almond_leaves

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

Exzellent brush.

This is soft small dome brush, not scratchy at all but with enough stamina to accomplish several tasks. Perfect for my small eyes.

Does plenty of tasks for me:
Applies my outer corner e/s, blends stubborn e/s really well making the gradient flawless, and smokes out e/s on the lash line which my MAC Pencil Brush failed miserably at.

I only washed it a couple times, so far zero shedding. Love it.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/30/2012 12:05:00 AM More reviews by Enkida

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

EDIT: After half a year of 1x a week washing and daily spot cleaning, this brush has started to shed uncontrollably. Not worth the money spent; get CVS' Essence of Beauty crease set instead. >> I'm disappointed in this brush's quality after having been so throughly impressed by essence's blush and angled gel liner brushes. While still unbelievably cheap, this brush is definitely more of a "you get what you paid for" deal. It shed unbelievably after the first washing, and still occassionally loses a hair here and there even after 6 months of use - while applying shadows, not just while washing, mind you! The brush also bled purple dye from its bristles repeatedly after several washings. At the 6 month mark with more than weekly washings, that has slowed down at least. The texture of the bristles are also, I find, a bit scratchy compared to other similar brushes at this price. On the good side of things, despite multiple washings the brush head has kept its shape faithfully. It is a dirt cheap brush. But the quality reflects that. CVS' "essence of beauty" crease brush duo is a much better investment for the same type of brush at practically the same price, so I'd save my money here if you have other options.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/10/2012 3:05:00 AM More reviews by SparkleBunny37

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Essence gives little information on their Smokey Eyes Brush, but I think we can make a good assumption on what it's used for based on the name. This brush, like all Essence products, is cruelty free. The synthetic bristles are made of nylon. However, unlike most Essence products, this brush is made in China as opposed to Germany or Poland. Essence is a German drugstore brand that can be easily found in most European drugstores. The rest of the world? Not quite so easily. Essence can be bought at Priceline and Target in Australia, Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada, and Fred Myers and Ulta in the US. I purchased this brush at Target for $2.55AUD, I believe it retails for less than $2 in America.
Essence's Smokey Eyes Brush comes in a clear pouch with a bit of purple splatter print cardboard. A four step guide to creating a smokey eye is printed on the back of the cardboard insert. The brush it's self has a long, black, plastic handle. The Essence logo is written on the brush in purple. The bristles are also purple. The brush head is dense and comes to a round, precise tip, great for precision blending and use in small creases like mine. The bristles are fairly soft for being synthetic. They move together flawlessly. There is a small bit of splaying on one side, but it's just a few bristles, nothing that disrupts the shape of the brush. Because of how dense and small this brush is it's best for precision application and blending as opposed to blending together your whole eye look.
I've only washed Essence's Smokey Eyes Brush once, so I can't vouch for how it'll hold up over a long period of time. However, it held up great during it's first washing. All the eyeshadow came right out, without any of the dye in the bristles coming out. The head kept it's shape perfectly and it dried extremely fast. Bonus. I'm going to assume that this brush will last me a while.
Essence's Smokey Eyes Brush is kinda excellent. I use it very frequently. It's perfect for my small crease, and blends well. The size and shape is great for creating smokey eyes and intricately blended looks. I could go on and on about how much I like this brush. I included it in my "12 Beauty Tools Everyone Needs" post. It held up very well during washing, it seems high quality and looks pretty cute too. I'll definitely buy a second Smokey Eyes Brush. Check it out next time you're in a store that sells Essence. It's a great brush for an equally great price.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/28/2012 9:19:00 AM More reviews by GetSmart

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this brush so much! I purchased 3 of them. It's so soft... perfect for a myriad of purposes because of the way it is cut and shaped.

I would buy this again and again. What a bargain!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2012 9:27:00 AM More reviews by cupcakeofmylife

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is such a great brush for the price. I bought them of Target Australia for 3$! The brush is really soft and fits perfectly for my small Asian crease. It blends the colour well and the purple bristles look really pretty.
One downside of this brush is that it bleeds purple dye. I spot cleaned my brush using MAC brush cleaner and the dye comes off. Too bad.
But hey, 3$ for this great brush? totally worth a try!!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/30/2012 4:02:00 PM More reviews by JPKAM83

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was in my local Shoppers Drug Mart and I seen the Essence display. The smokey eye brush caught my eyes. I brought and it test it out the bristles was soft on the eyes area. I washed my makeup brushes. I used the palm of my hand to swirl the brush with the soap in it to get rid of the products that I used. The last brush had to be clean was the smokey eye brush. At first I thought all the purple was coming out due to the eyeshadows and pigments that I used. I rinsed it off with water it came out clean. I used a white towel cloth to dry the brushes and make sure 100% all clean and let it air dry over night. I was drying the smokey eye brush, boy was I ever wrong the bristle dye color came off it stain my towel purple. Thank goodness the white towel cloth I got it from was only $1.25 at the dollar store.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2012 3:04:00 PM More reviews by nesslee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

this brush was extremely scratchy. i returned it. if you are looking for a cheap blending brush, i would suggest the one from elf.