January 30, 2015 | 634 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Waxelene- The Petroleum Jelly Alternative

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2015 8:17:00 PM More reviews by AyEcHiHuAhUa

I love Waxelene! I'd never heard of it, but bought it at Whole Foods on a whim because I just adore the packaging. (I can never resist a pale yellow/bee combination - Burt's Bee's got me like that too!) I can attest that this in fact does not clog pores as the packaging states - and I have super-ridiculous-mega-easy-to-break-out skin. The smell of it threw me off at first. I read reviews to see if my tube had gone bad. I read people saying it smelled like honey, others like rosemary - and mine smells like wood! I finally found a few other reviewers on different sites likening the smell to fresh cut wood and that's exactly it. No idea why it smells like that, and, the smell is not faint to me either, especially when on your lips which is of course right under your nose! But I've gotten used to it the more I use it. Slightly gritty when first going on but melts to be very smooth. I've used it on my lips, cuticles and backs of my hands with pretty great success BUT I found it for something else that I will probably continue to use it always for. On the ends of my hair. My long hair is a little bit coarse and also dry on the ends (I don't use a lot of conditioner because conditioners like to break me out...) and I always felt like what my ends needed were a little moisture and a little WAX to keep them from frizzing out. The texturizing wax products at the salon seemed too waxy and claimed strong hold which seemed like it would be drying rather than moisturizing. Plus I never trust the ingredients when the list is ten feet long. Well, when I read you could put this on hair, I split my hair into 2 and I put a pea sized amount on the ends of each side, after my shower while my hair was still damp. (Not too much, will make ends clump together and look oily, just a very small amount.) Let my hair air dry, slept with it in a bun while very slightly damp and in the morning such glorious textured waves with no crazy frizzing! It does not put any shine because of the wax component - and we all know that beeswax isn't really shiny - but it does moisturize my hair from the oils and vitamin E. Now my ends seem moisturized, texturized and they behave! Best of all: absolutely NO breakouts from sleeping with this stuff on my hair. Rave! And will repurchase, probably forever!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/16/2015 8:47:00 AM More reviews by Kalya

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love love love Waxelene. I use it for the dry spots and elbows, knees, lips. I scoop out a small amount and rub on the fingers - it melts and sinks into the skin really easily.

I add half a jar of Waxelene to my EO Natural Lotion and mix well, to get that luxurious, beeswax-y, rich lotion which causes a soothing feel on the skin when applied.

I really hope Waxelene makes a LOTION consistency product, with very few ingredients just like the Waxelene cream - it would be a hit. This product is just amazing! It is a cheaper variety of Egyptian Magic Cream.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/2/2015 4:05:00 AM More reviews by luvhydration

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this in tube form, and I like it. The formula is hydrating, soothing, and semi-rich. It gives my lips a nice glow. It's like a more penetrating, watered-down, softer vaseline. I don't like the smell.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/17/2014 10:01:00 AM More reviews by FoodPants

I saw a little squeeze tube of this one day and tried it on a whim. I think I like it. It's definitely nice to have on super cold and windy days. I still prefer Burt's Bees regular lip balm for every day use, but this little product is nice for days you need a little something extra. It also leaves a nice sheen too, which makes lips look healthier.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/9/2014 2:47:00 PM More reviews by aenflex

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

For extra dry patches, hands, feet, callouses - this stuff is great. I slather it on, throw on a glove or sock, and in the morning it has penetrated and really made a dent in my dry spots.
It works very well on my lips also, just as a general balm. I imagine for those in colder, more arid climates, this could be a lifesaver.
It is not nearly as greasy as most butters, and since I don't ever use Vaseline, I cant compare it to that. However, it is somewhat greasy, so I wouldn't put it on and get dressed right away for fear of staining my clothing.
It smells to me like clover honey, not overpowering at all. The price was very reasonable, I still have most of a tub left and I use it pretty regularly.
Since it has beeswax, it's a great body bar component. I make my own using Waxelene, pure cocoa butter stick and add some oils, argan, coconut and carrot seed EO.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2014 10:03:00 PM More reviews by alina08

This product smells very strongly of rosemary, but if you can get over that, it seems to work pretty well. It does have a similar texture to vaseline although I would say it is more oily. I prefer to use shea butter instead of this product on rougher areas (think elbows and feet) because it penetrates better and lasts longer. This product is all right for normal to dry skin, but I think extremely dry, irritated, or chapped skin would require a more heavy-duty product. I think I will stick to my shea butter.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/13/2014 6:44:00 PM More reviews by JoieDeLaMusique

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this when I need heavy duty moisturizing. At night, I use this on my lips, hands and feet. Keeps everything super soft!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/15/2014 2:53:00 PM More reviews by april1976

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this product for about 4 years now, as a healthy alternative to petroleum. Before this, I used the Un-Petroleum product available at WFs.

What I use this for mainly is: lip balm, DIY lipscrub (blend with a small pinch of coconut sugar), night time foot treatment and I use it to turn powder eyeshadow and blush into a luminous cream.

I have always had the jar, but in the last year they've brought it out in tubes. I especially enjoy the pocket-sized travel tube that they have at natural food stores. I now have a couple circulating in my handbag, makeup bag and gym bag.

It's also great for taming rogue eyebrow hairs in a pinch. I don't detect a smell and I have a pretty good sniffer, so it can't be that obvious if it does indeed have one.

What else? Oh, it's awesomely cheap. The other day Sprouts had the biggest jar on sale for $9.99...it was what I would consider a Costco-sized jar. Seems to go on sale enough to make it worth it, economically speaking.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2014 4:03:00 PM More reviews by kdelossantos

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

So i usually buy my face products from Chagrin Valley because they make a great line of stuff for people like me. I have super sensitive rosacea that gets set off by everything. I bought a tube of Waxelene to carry in my purse to replace my Dr Bronners balm that I was using for my lips and hands. WHY didn't i know about this wonderful stuff earlier. It really helps my lips and hands with NO irritation at all. I have been using it in little spots here and there on my face to test the waters. So far so good and it has really helped with my dry itchy spots on my face. I put it on at night after I put my Chagrin Valley Seabuckthorn and Tamanu oil. I tried it this morning after my shower because I had a pesky dry spot that my Chagrin Valley Three Butters balm wouldn't seem to get rid of. It worked great with NO irritation. My face actually feels calm and moisturized. It is expensive but well worth it because a small amount goes a long way. Big bonus is that I can buy it at my local Sprouts store instead of having to order it online like i do my other products. I am a BIG fan of all natural simple products that are good for you. This is a winner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/14/2013 4:31:00 AM More reviews by makeupjunkie11786

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Remarkable little jar. Its got natural ingredients which I like and smells good (Very honey floral organic like smell). The packaging is uber cute and you can get multiple uses out of it.
I lived in Michigan for the winter aka cold as ... And I naturally tend to get dry patches on my hands especially during the brutal winters. This is great to use on your lips, as a moisturizer for your body and hands and its a great deep moisturizing treatment for your feet as well when paired with cotton socks. Also, cosmetics wise you can use it to help you remove eye makeup gently and a little can be used on your lid for that clear sheen look.
Also good to tame your brows with. I also like to smooth a little over my tattoos it makes them look nice and smooth and the colors pop more. Overall a good handy little product to have in your beauty stash and a great replacement for vaseline. Only gripe? Its a tad bit pricey. But I think its worth the splurge. I bought it at bed bath and beyond, not sure where else it is sold but im pretty sure walgreens will more than likely carry it to